2016 Anime Villains Tournament - Championship Final

• We have finally come to the end of this long winding road of a tournament. Started with 256 (give or take) vile villains, antagonists, and rivals; but now we are down to the final 2.

Balalaika from Black Lagoon

*** VERSUS ***

Shogo Makashima from Psycho Pass

It took quite the effort to get here, so let us look back at how they did.

Balalaika's path of destruction
    Kimimaro - Naruto
    Makoto Waltz Segai - Guilty Crown
    Kneesocks Daemon -Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
    Tsunenaga Tamaki - Deadman Wonderland
    Akio Ohtori - Revolutionary Girl Utena
    Szilard Quates - Baccano!
    Gendo Ikari - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Izaya Orihara - Durarara!!
    Dio Brando - Jojo's Bizzare Adventure

Shogo Makashima's path of destruction
    Kimimaro - Naruto
    Makoto Waltz Segai - Guilty Crown
    Nosferatu Zodd - Berserk
    Rob Lucci - One Piece
    Makoto Shishio - Rurouni Kenshin
    Vicious - Cowboy Bebop
    Nui Harime - Kill la Kill
    Queen Delphine Eraclea - Last Exile
    Diva - Blood+

• in case you're wondering why you see the same two names under both of them, well they both started out from the same 4 character group in the first round.

Now a little info on both to help better inform your vote.

Balalaika
    Sofiya Pavlovna (though this name is never used in her presence), better known as Balalaika the cigar smoking leader of Hotel Moscow. Before joining the mafia, Balalaika was a captain in the Soviet Army and a Vozdushno-Desantnye Vojska paratrooper who served in the Soviet war in Afghanistan. Due to Balalaika's leadership during the hellish fighting in Afghanistan, her men look up to her as their superior and will do just about anything upon her orders. It has been said that Balalaika's men have enough training to start and win World War III if they wanted to.

Shogo Makishima
    He is the so-called liberator of Japan from the Sibyl System. A humanist who is hopelessly in love with cruelty, savagery, and all the worst aspects of human nature, Makishima is a manipulative anarchist who is just as ruthless in his schemes as he is in physical combat. A born evangelist, he possesses both an uncommon charisma and a true gift for narrative. He is fond of books, as shown in his tendency to quote from famous literature.

Both fought pretty hard to get here, winning out over some opponents that most would have expected them to lose to. But the final battle has yet to be decided, that's where all of you good people come in. So who is the ultimate evil in 2016? Let's find out!

One last thing, since this is the championship match, I am leaving the poll open for two days instead of one like I would usually do.

• I'm voting for Makishima, and here's why:

I simply do not see Balalaika as a villain. Sure, she's by no means a "good" person. She does plenty of terrible, horrible, inhuman things. She is rotten to the very core and pretty much evil through and through.

BUT. During the series that she hails from, she never really acts as an "antagonist" to our main characters. Oh sure, her forces almost come to blows with the Lagoon Company a few times over the course of the show, but more times than not she and Hotel Moscow end up helping Revy & crew out instead of hindering them or acting as any sort of foil. In fact, you could say in the grand scheme of things, they are a vital ally to the "good guys", or as good as anyone in Black Lagoon is ever going to be.

So yes. Terrible person, true. But from the storytelling standpoint, Balalaika isn't truly a "villain". She can't really be seen as an antagonist because she ends up helping the protagonist more often than not.

Makishima, on the other hand, is a villain, through and through. You can tell from his very first appearance that there is no love lost between he and the enforcers of the Sibyl System. He, unlike Fry-Face, is a true antagonist, and that's why he gets my vote.

• The obvious choice for me would be Makishima.

• Makashima will make Balalaika's Psycho-Pass go over 300. Enforcement action required. Lethal eliminator.

"That's precisely why I want to color her black."

• Alright. That picture actually cracked me up. Good shit nubguy.

Anyways Hardy pretty much said it all for me. Sorry Capetan, but I think I'm gonna give it to the great foil of the Sibyl System that is Shogo Makashima. A cunning antagonist that was a worthwhile villain.

• @classyspartan:

Alright. That picture actually cracked me up. Good shit nubguy.

Why thank you Classy. I just couldn't resist lol

• Spaceman makes an excellent point.
    However, I have to leave with the date with which I came in. :up:

• Im sticking with Balalaika

• Spaceman pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. Never really saw Balalaika as a a clear villain in the show.
    Also, I find Makishima to be one of the most well written villains in recent years.

• My vote for the final goes to Balalaika.

• Well, the thing about Black Lagoon is that everyone is a villain except for Rock. And as the only guy with a decent heart in that series, he pretty much bends to Hotel Moscow's will by the end of it all. That's a victory for Balalaika in my book.

Shogo, IMO, is still less evil than the Sibyl System.

• @7jaws7:

Well, the thing about Black Lagoon is that everyone is a villain

I was hoping I wasn't the only one thinking this!

@rosebrook:

Never really saw Balalaika as a a clear villain in the show.

The reason you can't see her as a clear villain is because this show is literally a story of villains being villains to other villains. A villain deciding to help another villain doesn't make them any less villainous.

• Voting for Balalaika.

• I think 7jaws7 put it better than I could have, so Balalaika gets my vote though she seems to be losing at the time I made this post.