Anime needs more/less

• Thought this could be a fun thread. Come here to post what you think anime needs more &/or less off. This can be types of characters, tropes, cliches, etc.. Like for example…

If you asks me, anime needs more....

-Cowgirls
    -Anthromorphs

• Shows with unique / abstract / out of the box animation styles.
      -.crime/noir/mystery/suspense series
      -sci-fi western &/or sci-Fi noire fusions
    • well written & developed female characters
    • shows with musical numbers ( what I like songs in my cartoons, so sue me)

Anime needs less....

• Tentacles
      -Torpedo shaped boobs
    • 1 dimensional &/or abusive pretty boy characters
    • air headed guys n gals.
    • Monologuing for the sake of it. * rants should have purpose dag nab it*
    • men/women who treat their significant other like crap. * it grows old fast*
    • Actual Lolicon its fine if they are an teen/actual adult. But sexualization a character that's actually a child, fictional or not...dats..kinda skeevy

And that's my list, how about you guys, what do you want to see more/ less of in anime!?

• Hahahaha, no. Nope. Now way. Not happening. You're not getting me involved in this, Soundmonkey. I'm keeping my mouth shut. I don't need another one of these threads. I'm just gonna sit here quietly.

• @Renzokuken:

Hahahaha, no. Nope. Now way. Not happening. You're not getting me involved in this, Soundmonkey. I'm keeping my mouth shut. I don't need another one of these threads. I'm just gonna sit here quietly.

I concur.

• @Soundmonkey44: Rant threads are what we need less of :P

• Ahh. You guys are no fun. :(

I had no intent of starting a rant thread. Just thought it would be fun to hear others thoughts.

• I'll bite, mostly cuz I haven't ranted in a while, but really I think it is possible to have this thread work WITHOUT it being rants. If people want to write coherently about it anyway. :P

That said though, I can only think of two particular things, and the first of which almost applies more-so to manga, but here goes.

1. We need more 'Big Three' caliber SJ titles. I know, I know, it's not everyone's cup of tea. But as much as I love romantic comedy stuff and more serious shows, I still have a big love for SJ properties, the kind that get really big and popular. First there was stuff like DBZ, YYH, and Rurouni Kenshin. Then we moved into the era of Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, which awesome as they all are, they also have a greater variety of mis-steps than the previous generation did (at least, IMO they do). The first two are also on their way out. We've got Toriko now, but I'm not really sure it's up to the task of being the next 'big' show, especially not when it's the only new one. So I'd like to see some other big titles make their way in.

2. What I mentioned in the first part briefly? Yeah, I want more romantic comedy series that are actually good and heartfelt, and use their fanservice playfully and in good measure rather than it just being there for the sake of being there. More stuff like Katsura's titles or Boys Be and the like. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that this is a dying genre, as it's not nearly as popular as it once was, and censorship is starting to be a bigger problem in Japan. Bah.

• Well lets see the ones that come right into my mind is

More

• stuff like Free!, Nichibros, Kimi to Boku, and Cromartie High School where anime is centered completely around a main male cast that ISN'T bl/yaoi or sports. While Free! is a sport series its more SoL than anything.

• medieval series or medieval like setting

• Mecha cause this girl can't get enough of it

• Otome Heroines getting proper character development in anime adaptions. Heroine in Amnesia was probably the worst written of them all. I bet she was leagues better in the actual game.

Less

• school girls as main cast or basically cute girls doing cute things EVERY season. -___-

• ecchi and what I mean by that is series that has panty/boob shots every 10 seconds. >_> The only series I liked that did this was Sora no Otoshimono and right now the current chapters in the manga are a tear fest like is this SAME series? xD

• I'm a new fish in the pond, so I'm biting at anything shiny:

More:
    -Trope breaking (tough too much of this becomes tropey itself. It's a vicious cycle)- it's really refreshing when a story that I thought was in a well worn rut takes an immediate 90 degree turn. Samurai Flamenco is doing this for me now, for example.

• Competent/Not Evil military- This is sort of a personal grudge against fiction in general, but as long as we're compiling wish lists I may as well shoot for the moon.
      -Tanks- I like tanks quite a lot. At the moment, they are basically the pinnacle of ground based warfighting technology. But a lot of series bring them out only as cannon fodder for whatever superpower or sufficiently advanced technology to completely demolish. I'd like to see a situation where a 120mm DU sabot actually solves a problem, rather than leaving it up to the 14 year old in the 200 foot tall robot.

Less-
    Gratuitous panty shots- It can be funny or sexy occasionally, but defying the laws of physics so the audience can check out the forbidden zone detracts from actual plot or character development. But I guess in certain genre this is expected, so I'm not going to beat my head against this brick wall.
    Attack calling- I get that your average shounen hero (and villain) needs to make their styles and methods known. Roger. But giving a bad guy even a split second's heads up to what you're about to do to him grates at my common sense. Let your buddies distract him, keep quiet and hidden, and then hit him with the spirit bomb while he's looking the other direction. Problem solved.

Soundmonkey- Full agreement on the torpedo boobs (I don't get the appeal) and the monologuing. One of my favorite things is to see a character (bad or good) get interrupted by enemy action while in the middle of expounding on their plan's master stroke or philosophy on life.

Rant concluded, carry on.

-CoD

• I agree on the less parts… less cutesy schoolgirl series showing boobies and panties every other frame... but that's a personal preference... if I were half my age I'd probably be wanting more, not less. Coming on 40, it makes me feel that I'm watching something illicit and creepy.

Medieval themes - why not? I haven't explored this genre - yet.

I would like more anime that features characters that have a strong storyline, and aren't animated too ridiculously. I liked Eden of the East because it was not the school-girl with boobies and pantsies type of anime - and the plot and storyline for me were interesting and made me want to watch more.

Basically I'd like to see more anime that is aimed for older people... an animated drama that features adults as the main characters and by adult I'm talking over the age of college graduation characters.

On Edit: this is what I'd like to see. One can agree or disagree, because everyone has their own tastes.

• For me

More:

• More plot development
    • More developed characters
    • More mechs since the Moe subgenre was severely reduced it.
    • Bigger universes for long-running series.

Less:

• Blatant fanservice. While I'm fine with seeing naked breast nipples, what I'm not okay with is fanservice being overdone and exaggerated to the point of it becoming creepy or distracting.
    • Otaku-pandering material.

• I feel like there's not enough high fantasy with solid premise surrounding them. Odd because of the Euro-Asia thing…

Yeah...I don't feel comfortable saying much else...

• @Wicked86:

I feel like there's not enough high fantasy with solid premise surrounding them. Odd because of the Euro-Asia thing…

Yeah...I don't feel comfortable saying much else...

I don't know how solid "solid" is lol but I kinda feel burnt out on these still from the boatload of high-fantasy series we had from the 90s (and that I've bought a ton of from the bargain bin; ADV was a king of this genre). I wouldn't mind it though, as I can't think of a single good non-comedic, incontrovertibly-high fantasy anime that I've seen.

Since we're going to get a boatload of fanservice shows, could we please get one where the main character actually takes advantage of his harem? Where's the anime harem series where the protagonist is like Charlie Sheen? If they'd just make a High School DxD spinoff with Raizer Phoenix as the main character…

I'd also like to see some "deep" shows that aren't pretentious and are actually "deep", and not just faking "depth" by throwing out a zillion words when a handful will do:prolix != profound. Every Gen "Uro-butcher" work that I've ever seen, yeah, this describes it to a T.

• @sidereal_presence:

I don't know how solid "solid" is lol but I kinda feel burnt out on these still from the boatload of high-fantasy series we had from the 90s (and that I've bought a ton of from the bargain bin; ADV was a king of this genre). I wouldn't mind it though, as I can't think of a single good non-comedic, incontrovertibly-high fantasy anime that I've seen.

Fantasy in general is fun right now, though I'm probably projecting my interest of whats popular over here to what I'd like to see in anime…Though if it's any indicator I feel like I could go for any by the books fantasy anime especially with how popular, Game of Thrones is. Too me that's just good entertainment.

Just opinion though. LotR and GoT are both examples of "solid". Granted they had source material.

On a side I guess I will add that I can't think of anything I wish to see less of in anime, because I don't watch what I don't enjoy. Far be it for me to hinder someone's entertainment just because i didn't like it. At least in this case it would seem a little unnecessary.

• I've always been a fan of filler episodes that aren't filled with fanservice. I primarily watch action anime so being able to see a team in their downtime hang out really develops teambonds which makes their inevitable sacrificial actions in the name of friendship that much more believable/awesome.

More:

Relationship development
    Good filler episodes

Less:

Fanservice, although I think it works in some anime better than others.

• Anime needs more shows that aren't afraid to "be dark". When a show "gets serious" it shouldn't have to then throw out 2x as much comedy to balance it out; cough Fullmetal Alchemist cough. If I want that, I've got it in spades on American TV. I'd also like to see some character development in these mainstream series. They treat their characters like American procedurals do: they give us a few eps where it looks like they develop, but once that "arc" ends they're back to the way they started.

Anime needs more moral ambiguity, though not in a wishy-washy way like Funimation's Shiki.

• @sidereal_presence:

Anime needs more shows that aren't afraid to "be dark". When a show "gets serious" it shouldn't have to then throw out 2x as much comedy to balance it out; cough Fullmetal Alchemist cough.

I’m not sure I watched the same anime as you; I remember both Fullmetal Alchemist shows having some comedy here and there, but, it was somewhat marginal as I seem to recall them being more bleak and grim, not to mention very metaphorical, symbolic and deep as opposed to comedic.

@sidereal_presence:

Anime needs more moral ambiguity, though not in a wishy-washy way like Funimation's Shiki.

Firstly, Shiki was one of the most entertaining anime I’ve seen, very accessible, great story, and even with the massive cast of characters; managed to give all of them some real depth.

Secondly, it did a great job of blurring the lines of who was in the right; the vampires, or the humans?

• @neonwalrus:

I’m not sure I watched the same anime as you; I remember both Fullmetal Alchemist shows having some comedy here and there, but, it was somewhat marginal as I seem to recall them being more bleak and grim, not to mention very metaphorical, symbolic and deep as opposed to comedic.

You don't remember the great many SD sequences, slapstick humor, Winry, the Flame Alchemist + rain, Armstrong's over-the-top "machismo" (before FMA:Brotherhood showed that he was actually wimpier than Sabat's coward-character in Shiki) and the constant "I'm not short!" rants? While it is a slightly different subject, I didn't like the moralizing coming from Ed. Ed went around criticizing (and attacking) anyone whose actions he condemned but he was kind of hypocritical at times when he did that.
    @neonwalrus:

Firstly, Shiki was one of the most entertaining anime I’ve seen, very accessible, great story, and even with the massive cast of characters; managed to give all of them some real depth.

Secondly, it did a great job of blurring the lines of who was in the right; the vampires, or the humans?

Shiki was fun and pretty graphic, especially the OVAs. My problem with it was that it went to ridiculous lengths to avoid "picking a side": it wanted no ambiguity about its moral ambiguity, it chose "black AND white" when it was supposed to go for a grey. The worst example of this is the ending, where R. Bruce Eliot is about to administer some justice to Cherami Leigh-he has the knife in his hand and she is helpless-when he suddenly goes into that old cliche of launching into a pointless, pompous speech that lasts for a long time, long enough for John Burgmeier's "Judas" to show up and save Cherami by stabbing RBE in the back. Making matters worse was that RBE launched into his absurd speech in the middle of a burning building. If I were in a burning building, and had the ability to take out my greatest enemy, I wouldn't launch into a speech, I would do the deed and GTFO of the burning building.

Other works were able to "take a stand" while still being morally ambiguous. Princess Mononoke and Death Note come to mind as more well-known examples. Shiki ended, really, the same way that it started :(

• Being Dark doesn't automagically make something good. As for FMA. Brotherhood had for more out of place silly moments then the original IMO.

• @sidereal_presence:

You don't remember the great many SD sequences, slapstick humor, Winry, the Flame Alchemist + rain, Armstrong's over-the-top "machismo" (before FMArotherhood showed that he was actually wimpier than Sabat's coward-character in Shiki) and the constant "I'm not short!" rants?

I’m very well aware of the comedic moments in this series especially since they were more frequent earlier in the series, however, even under those circumstances, they were eclipsed by the darker themes the series was dealing with, and those themes become more prevalent as the series progressed.

Also, Ed isn’t a hypocrite; he admitted his faults and flaws at the end; that’s how he solved the riddle of the gate.

@sidereal_presence:

Shiki was fun and pretty graphic, especially the OVAs. My problem with it was that it went to ridiculous lengths to avoid "picking a side": it wanted no ambiguity about its moral ambiguity, it chose "black AND white" when it was supposed to go for a grey.

On Shiki it was meant to leave the viewer with a sense of confusion about who was in the right; the vampires took a backdoor approach to harvesting/assimilating the humans while the humans took a more up front genocidal method of attack; and it was them who ended up covered in blood, which was noted on the commentary on the disc set. As I said with the Madoka thread; you’re welcome to your interpretation.

And yes, I liked Deathnote as well, but it left me with the same feelings as Shiki with its moral dilemma.

• Also, Ed isn’t a hypocrite; he admitted his faults and flaws at the end; that’s how he solved the riddle of the gate.

Admitting his hypocrisy doesn't "undo" his hypocrisy. You realize that what you're saying is that a murderer is no longer a murderer if he admits that he has committed murder, right? Speaking of Death Note, if only Kira had been versed in your logic he could have talked Matsuda out of shooting him by simply admitting what he had done. "Lind L Taylor" could have saved himself as well, as admitting murder would have absolved him from his crimes and L wouldn't have had him killed.

On Shiki it was meant to leave the viewer with a sense of confusion about who was in the right…

They did this so piss-poorly that it fell flat. The aforementioned cliche-fest that was the ending of this series was testimony to that. A vastly superior ending would have been if Cherami's character had been killed and Burgmeier's character had survived. That would have left Burgmeier's character with a compounded sense of loss of direction, furthered the moral ambiguity, and not made the show "end as it began".

TBH, I could argue that the show sided with the vampires at the end by using that absurd cop-out to save Cherami's character, that they were so desperate to save her to maintain moral ambiguity that they threw moral ambiguity under the bus in order to do so. If they did that with the sole intent of preserving "moral ambiguity" then that's hugely ironic, but in a bad way not in a Madoka Magica way.

• Secondly, it did a great job of blurring the lines of who was in the right; the vampires, or the humans?

I don't disagree with your first comment about the great character development and moral struggles, but Shiki's ending couldn't have been clearer. There was no ambiguity with the ending - both groups were correct in their vision because both wanted to survive, and the show itself almost explicitly said as much. I don't know if the studio's intention was to make it ambiguous, but if that was their plan, they failed miserably and would cause me to enjoy the show a lot less than I did

The ending would've been ambiguous if either all the humans or all the vampires died off and the surviving party struggled with their decision in retrospect, but neither option happened so both groups believe they did the right thing, knowing that they never finished their goal. You'll find better ambiguity in a Fairy Tail arc than in Shiki