Any chance Funimation will ever be able to license Aniplex shows like Durarara?

• I don't know how licensing works but I'm guessing after a while it expires and that allows another company the opportunity to acquire the license. So for instance, Durarara was licensed in 2010 by Aniplex so it's been about 6 years now. At what point would their license expire and give other companies the ability to license it for streaming/home release?

• Very doubtful. With the way Aniplex has been acting as of late, they'd rather let their titles go completely out of print rather than allow another company to license them.

Granted such a decision doesn't make much in the way of logical sense, but then again, this IS Aniplex we're talking about. They tend to base their entire business off of doing things that don't really make sense. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

Very doubtful. With the way Aniplex has been acting as of late, they'd rather let their titles go completely out of print rather than allow another company to license them.

Granted such a decision doesn't make much in the way of logical sense, but then again, this IS Aniplex we're talking about. They tend to base their entire business off of doing things that don't really make sense. :hmm:

As of late?

• @Horizon_:

As of late?

Haven't you been keeping up with all the titles that have been losing streaming rights lately? The reason that Darker Than Black s1, Baccano!, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are no longer available on the site is because Aniplex chose to let them go out of print instead of allowing Funimation to re-license them.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Haven't you been keeping up with all the titles that have been losing streaming rights lately? The reason that Darker Than Black s1, Baccano!, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are no longer available on the site is because Aniplex chose to let them go out of print instead of allowing Funimation to re-license them.

Wait so the licensing rights for those shows will expire for Aniplex, and instead of giving them to another company such as Funi, they are opting to let the shows just die? That is absurd.

• @Horizon_:

Wait so the licensing rights for those shows will expire for Aniplex, and instead of giving them to another company such as Funi, they are opting to let the shows just die?

No, rather the licensing rights are expiring for Funi, and instead of letting them renew the license, Aniplex is hogging the properties to themselves and not letting anyone else have them, while at the same time sitting on them and doing absolutely nothing with them.

@Horizon_:

That is absurd.

Yes, I agree entirely.

• @Horizon_:

give other companies the ability to license it for streaming

Aniplex is allowing other sites to stream some of their shows, including Funimation. But as Spaceman said, they don't want others releasing them.

• @SpacemanHardy:

No, rather the licensing rights are expiring for Funi, and instead of letting them renew the license, Aniplex is hogging the properties to themselves and not letting anyone else have them, while at the same time sitting on them and doing absolutely nothing with them.

Yes, I agree entirely.

Well that not "all" true as Netflix still had Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood still on there stream and it still had the Funimation Logo come up right before you watch it… So I don't know if Funimation still had stream right with it still on Netflix?

• @gohan6425:

Well that not "all" true as Netflix still had Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood still on there stream and it still had the Funimation Logo come up right before you watch it… So I don't know if Funimation still had stream right with it still on Netflix?

Not anymore. Brotherhood was taken down from Netflix a few weeks ago. As of right now, the only thing FMA related that's streaming on Netflix is the Sacred Star of Milos movie.

• At this point the only way Funimation could license properties from Aniplex is if something happened to Aniplex of America. Now, I don't want to imply I WANT something to happen to Aniplex of America, mind you. It's just something downright catastrophic would have to happen to them in order to make their properties available to license by Funimation.

• ^ Roots, what are you doing? Why are you holding that gas can and matches behind your back? :hmm:

• http://www.aniplexusa.com/fmabrotherhood/

Any idea what this might be?

• @Gemnist:

http://www.aniplexusa.com/fmabrotherhood/

Any idea what this might be?

You didn't know? AoA licensed the show for streaming on Crunchyroll. They currently have no plans for any future home release, though.

• Oh. I knew Crunchyroll was going to stream the series, but I didn't know that was Aniplex's decision. Will they be putting the dub on there?