Promoting & Funimation

• So I had initially started the previous thread about this topic by talking about stuff I think Funi should do to promo shows and the streaming service itself. It had reached a contentious point when I brought up advertising on Toonami, in addition to what they are currently doing. So I guess don't bring that up, haha.

But I had initially brought up that Funi should:
    1. Tweet whenever a show goes it on the site whenever that happens. For example, yesterday (4/8) Concrete Revolutio had gone up on site, I think before its airing in Japan too, without a tweet from Funi. That show has a pretty cool ED, especially visually, so maybe they could've tweeted a pic of screenshot of that ED and saying "Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song Episode 1 is up on the site" with a link. I just thought since Funi has a substantial following there, promoting the show with a tweet could only help, right? I am thankful they tweeted the premiere of Shonen Maid, though. However, yesterday several dubs went up so I think tweeting their release would help - especially Fairy Tale Zero. I don't know, these shows could possibly be doing whatever Funi wants them to so maybe that's why they aren't tweeting about? But more views can only be better, right?
    2. The contentious point of getting ad time, using those FunimationNow trailers and bumps they had released earlier this year, during Dimension W or something on Toonami, in addition to their already existing digital advertising; if they could afford it, of course, bc I thought they most likely have a close relationship with Toonami given DBZ at least a spot wouldn't be too expensive. This idea kinda lead astray on the relevancy of Toonami so maybe don't focus this point, haha. Getting traditional TV ad time seemed to be contentious.
    3. Make endeavors collaborating with YouTubers. I do think they are working on this, though. Hopefully, it leads to big moves.

This isn't to say Funimation isn't doing anything, obviously. That DBZ thing at Westlemania was super smart; I could care less about wrestling and I thought that was great. Good moves Funi!! Love Funimation and only wish for the best. Hopefully this wasn't too pedantic and someone has opinions and wants to talk about them. I feel like I wrote something for school lol.

• BTW, you didn't need to delete the entire thread. These forums are not that clean, you know… In either case, carry on therefore.

• tbh I was super self conscious about the first one. I hadn't posted here before lol

• LoL, yes no worries. Just watch out for Mr. Spaceman; as he is commin' for ya guns, and you will be fine :)

• Is there something I have to fix in the post?

• No.
    Ignore him.

On topic: I agree FUNI could improve on episode announcements.

• @vhernandez:

Is there something I have to fix in the post?

Naw, I mean in the future of course. He is very "sensitive" when it comes to his moderator style, so just keep to the forum rules, and on topic, and don't troll; is all good it is so…

• @thegrandalliance:

Naw, I mean in the future of course. He is very "sensitive" when it comes to his moderator style, so just keep to the forum rules, and on topic, and don't troll; is all good it is so…

Long as your name isn't thegrandalliance you should be fine.

As for your points.

1. They typically do this but they don't always post it like immediately after the episode goes up, sometimes few hours or like a day after. But this is a point they already do fairly frequently, just not like the second it goes up.

2. Not a bad idea actually, and that'd be a good way to promote their services even furhter.

3. I know they've got a promotion with some YouTubers alongside good working relations with a few of them but yeah seems like not a bad idea especially for those who already preach about supporting the official release.

• Btw, if anyone from Funi does actually see this, I'm 100% sure I wasn't insightful or anything; I'm thinking I could have come across as condescending maybe which wasn't my intent like at all.

Also to classyspartan:

1. I think they do lose out on not tweeting about a show once it goes up. Like just now lol, CR tweeted about Kiznaiver going up on their site (I knew it was today just didn't know the time) and I immediately checked it out and I can only imagine how many others have. Being late seems to me like losing out on an opportunity to get viewers. I see it like more retweets on a post, the more people see it, maybe they'll follow Funi, get a membership, and we're all happy. And I mean tweeting immediately can't be that hard, right? Hopefully that didn't across mean either.
    2. It would be kinda cool to be watching Dimension W and hear that "FunimationNow" yell right, haha.
    3. Again with CR, I started my membership with a free trial from a YouTuber. A ton of reviews talk about Funimation shows yet don't mention Funi's site predominately; it's always an aside and I'm like that doesn't tell people to watch it legally on Funimation's site specifically :(

• I know this thread is basically done for but even if no one responds just wanted to put it out in the ether; it's so weird to me that they're not really hyping up Dimension W anymore, other than its Toonami spot, like I would have guessed they'd tell ppl to check it out on Saturdays there and then watch the dub on the site on Sundays but nothing. Also, given all the work on MHA, they also dropped the ball on promoting yesterday's episode imo. idk sorta talking out of my butt

• They aren't hyping Dimension W anymore because we are in the Spring season, or at least that would be my best guess.

• @Anthony:

They aren't hyping Dimension W anymore because we are in the Spring season, or at least that would be my best guess.

Yeah, I think that makes sense. The show is already half-over after all.

• @Anthony:

They aren't hyping Dimension W anymore because we are in the Spring season, or at least that would be my best guess.

@nubguy:

Yeah, I think that makes sense. The show is already half-over after all.

For a show that they were on the production committee for, you'd have expected them not to go radio silent half way through the series like they did. It seems for the most part that they got too caught up with their new golden goose that is My Hero Academia to care about anything else.

FUNi's social media team should really take note from people like Crunchyroll and Sentai on how to run their social media accounts.

• @Rejectedshadow:

For a show that they were on the production committee for, you'd have expected them not to go radio silent half way through the series like they did. It seems for the most part that they got too caught up with their new golden goose that is My Hero Academia to care about anything else.

Lol yeah I think you're right. They got caught up in all the MHA hype.

• I feel like they should do more with youtubers and the like, but not just with anime/nerd youtubers. I feel like there needs to be more advertising/promotion/etc. to people who aren't necessarily already anime fans. Quite a few beauty and fashion youtubers like anime at least a little. A lot of them also do cosplay videos, sometimes, even if their target isn't necessarily nerds.
    This would definitely be a good idea for a show like Black Butler: Book of Circus.
    They could have fashion inspired by the characters or something.
    Black Butler, Seraph of the End, Heroic Legend of Arslan, off the top of my head, are the shows with the sort of aesthetic that would lend itself to something like this (out of FUNimation shows, at least). And Code Geass, when they finally get to release that.
    Also - exercise video channels and… well, depending on the audience, something like Free!, or something like Dragonball Z.
    Cooking channels and anything, really - I got recommended a cooking show that did "Black Butler based" curry buns. Almost any show can have food in it, or can be made into a food.

The key to this would be to identify the channel's audience, and give them a show that their audience would like. The goal should be to prove that not all anime is Naruto or Dragonball - that there are shows like Free!, Arslan, ... the others I can name that are really good and maybe not what people would expect are older now. But even Black Butler... a lot of people have no idea things like that exist. And it's okay to watch those things and not be a 100% hardcore otaku - you don't need to pass a Shonen Jump initiation test to earn the right to watch Princess Jellyfish.

FUNimation does seem to be the one company really positioned to do this. Maybe Yen Press, but it would be a lot harder with books than with shows. Viz, also, but they have such few shows, and most of their stuff is the sort of typical thing (except for K).

• @Fiammetta:

I feel like they should do more with youtubers and the like, but not just with anime/nerd youtubers. I feel like there needs to be more advertising/promotion/etc. to people who aren't necessarily already anime fans. Quite a few beauty and fashion youtubers like anime at least a little. A lot of them also do cosplay videos, sometimes, even if their target isn't necessarily nerds.
    This would definitely be a good idea for a show like Black Butler: Book of Circus.
    They could have fashion inspired by the characters or something.
    Black Butler, Seraph of the End, Heroic Legend of Arslan, off the top of my head, are the shows with the sort of aesthetic that would lend itself to something like this (out of FUNimation shows, at least). And Code Geass, when they finally get to release that.
    Also - exercise video channels and… well, depending on the audience, something like Free!, or something like Dragonball Z.
    Cooking channels and anything, really - I got recommended a cooking show that did "Black Butler based" curry buns. Almost any show can have food in it, or can be made into a food.

The key to this would be to identify the channel's audience, and give them a show that their audience would like. The goal should be to prove that not all anime is Naruto or Dragonball - that there are shows like Free!, Arslan, ... the others I can name that are really good and maybe not what people would expect are older now. But even Black Butler... a lot of people have no idea things like that exist. And it's okay to watch those things and not be a 100% hardcore otaku - you don't need to pass a Shonen Jump initiation test to earn the right to watch Princess Jellyfish.

FUNimation does seem to be the one company really positioned to do this. Maybe Yen Press, but it would be a lot harder with books than with shows. Viz, also, but they have such few shows, and most of their stuff is the sort of typical thing (except for K).

You know, you raise a pretty fair point / idea in regards to possible sponsored videos from FUNi with YouTubers and it's certainly something they should consider, maybe even an affiliate program like Crunchyrolls? (https://www.crunchyroll.com/affiliates).

• The affiliate idea Crunchy does is a great idea, you advertise them and if someone buys from them using the link you provided you get 10%. I would surely do that if I had a website of my own.

• Affiliate links are a much less formal thing… I'm talking about, if you watch videos from the sorts of people I was talking about, a lot of times they'd do a video that's themed to, like, a movie or something. It's a lot more formalized and planned on both sides, not just "Hey, here's an option, do it if you feel like it,"

• Btw thanks to everyone for adding on!!

I definitely think Funi should start an affiliate program in the same vein as CR with YouTubers, possibly start w Chris Stuckmann since he has a pretty large audience and is a huge fan of DBZ, reviewed and loved the Boy and the Beast, etc. then maybe stuff like Flammetta suggested. I can only imagine how many subs CR got through their affiliate link (I started mine though one) and YouTubers who aren't even reviewing CR shows have their affiliate link in description since they're incentivized by the $$$. I think maybe potentially losing some money would be a deterrent for Funi to start one but if it gets subs there for longer than the month, they've made money, right? idk

And just like rejectedshadow said, especially considering they were on the production committee for Dimension W, I would talk about it in every avenue I can for as long it's somewhat relevant. In the very least talk about it when it goes up on the site/Toonami. They still have a couple of weeks hopefully they do something then. I hope they don't forget about tweeting about MHA like I get that it airs super early but tweet about it once you can on Sunday. I've already said it and it probably doesn't mean anything significant but I feel like if you don't talk about the shows you have to your 300k+ followers on Twitter (or on other platforms but Twitter seems like the most applicable to telling people about an update) you'll lose out. Also curious but like could you follow the official Japanese twitter accounts for MHA and maybe retweet some of their stuff if you need inspo?

Writes a lot like an idiot without saying anything new or insightful really. Sorry about that!!

• . . . I'm more on the level of, "They need to promote shows that are nothing at all like Dragonball Z, to people who don't watch anime because they think it's all Dragonball Z, and show those people that there is more to anime."

Because anime is actually more diverse in subject matter than most other media, but most people think it's far less diverse. And the anime companies seem to want to hide the softer, non-action things, as if they think no one in the world could ever prefer that over Dragonball Z.
    But there are anime that are perfect for, say, Downton Abbey fans, or spy drama fans, or romantic comedy fans… and those shows need to be marketed to those people, not hidden behind Shonen Jump stuff.

• Oh yeah, of course!! I get why they promote DBZ, though, it's like the biggest anime in NA, but they do promote other stuff a lot (just not everything) I definitely don't wanna discredit that, like today (4/22) with that Black Butler tea party thing. I thought that was super sweet!! Hope it sells well for them!!!

For promotion of niche titles (since we don't know streaming numbers or anything what's really niche??? maybe like Tatami Galaxy or Welcome to the NHK) that's why reviews w affiliate links would be soo good!! I personally think both those shows are among the best so if a reviewer w a trusting fanbase gives it a great review (like they deserve lol) some people will take their word for it and check out the show on Funi w their link. New subs sweet lol

Also Funi if you do giveaways on Twitter you always gotta have follow & rt, it's like the golden rule. Do a giveaway with some MHA or Dimension W merch idk