Start posting delays

• start posting delays in the schedule espically for devices and if certain shows weren't be on devices at least we won't have no clue when we're getting or not getting the shows in said schedule

• Yes, in theory that is a good idea. The schedule/show page should have sub-class info on which devices can watch the content. That of course, would require some programming effort, nonetheless it makes much sense it is so.

• I think this is a great idea!

• It is a good idea in theory, and I'd honestly be all for it if they did.

However, we have to take into consideration that a lot of these delays are actually the result of the Japanese licensors not having the materials ready on time. And when that happens, the "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" rule kicks in; the last thing they can do is blame the licensor for the mess, even when it's totally their fault, so sometimes the only option is to stay quiet, not say anything, and hope the heat from the fans dies down quick once they do get the episode up and running.

Anime is a very fickle business indeed. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

It is a good idea in theory, and I'd honestly be all for it if they did.

Well, all he/they are asking for is transparency. It is true delays are annoying, but going silent-mode as well is even worse. And, in some cases, the shows are not made available via a streaming platform (as you stated) and thus these known quantities should be made transparent so as to not "angrly mode" people here.

Worrying about potential relation issues with Japanese Companies, even if they were to care (which is extremely unlikely), is a lost cause: Just ask Aniplex. The industry is changing, and change shall occur as a result it is so…

• @SpacemanHardy:

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

True, I didn't think of that. But a solution to this would be changing the date on the schedule, the don't have to make delay announcements and they aren't blaming the Japanese company. Yes there will still be those who make a thread asking why it changed, but most would understand that they have to wait a bit longer and appreciate that Funimation is giving them something instead of staying quiet.

Does that sound like a better idea? /\

• @SpacemanHardy:

It is a good idea in theory, and I'd honestly be all for it if they did.

However, we have to take into consideration that a lot of these delays are actually the result of the Japanese licensors not having the materials ready on time. And when that happens, the "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" rule kicks in; the last thing they can do is blame the licensor for the mess, even when it's totally their fault, so sometimes the only option is to stay quiet, not say anything, and hope the heat from the fans dies down quick once they do get the episode up and running.

Anime is a very fickle business indeed. :hmm:

….. what about the customer for paying for app?

• @garden_of_eden:

….. what about the customer for paying for app?

What do you mean?

• @Anthony:

What do you mean?

Informing people paying for the app or not, I knew about this app before but never cared to get it till recently through trying it on the one, my first question about it through forums and support was if the one has differences to site. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only console user wondering this. If there's too many differences I'll probably just drop it since I only did get this to use oh my one not a small laptop

• I still don't get what your trying to say, sorry.

• @Anthony:

I still don't get what your trying to say, sorry.

Well he is saying that, the customer who actually pays Funimation $$$(sub fees); versus the sourcing of the product that Funimation sells(worrying about harming relation with Japanese companies), is more important.

In general, I would agree with such logic therefore. Japanese companies will do what they want, they hardly care about non-Japanese "interests", as it were.

• Ohhhhhhhh, thanks. And I don't agree with what he's saying, without the Japanese (liscences to stream etc) we wouldn't even have anime, so it's better to keep them happy.

• @Anthony:

Ohhhhhhhh, thanks. And I don't agree with what he's saying, without the Japanese (liscences to stream etc) we wouldn't even have anime, so it's better to keep them happy.

Yes, but at least for now, that is a 2-way street: Japan needs Funimation as well to localize. More specifically, they need Funimation's Dubbing studios. It is the largest, highest quality one. They are slowly moving projects away from Funimation, but until others can take up the work that Funi Dub Studios do, it will still be some time until that is complete.

In other words, they have to deal with Funimation for now, even if they don't want to, if they want their product dubbed properly. As evidenced by what Aniplex is doing, that isn't going to last much longer; nonetheless several years from now they are gonna bail on Funimation anyways, regardless of what FUNI will try to do.

Lastly, if Funimation makes all their customers mad and /ragequit, their relations with Japan won't matter at that point, so the balance between the two shall be so.

• Of course Aniplex is going to ruin everything. But the question comes to mind, why can't Aniplex and Funimation both do high quality dubbing? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the Japanese if they have Funimation and Aniplex do dubs?

• @Anthony:

Of course Aniplex is going to ruin everything. But the question comes to mind, why can't Aniplex and Funimation both do high quality dubbing? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to the Japanese if they have Funimation and Aniplex do dubs?

Currently, Aniplex of America doesn't do anything first party, they contract out to dubbing studios to do the work. Because they are more fractured and smaller, and their talent isn't the same, there is some quality differences. In theory, over time and with funding this can be resolved; nonetheless for right now given how many Anime come out every year, they are too small to displace Funimation entirely.

The Aniplex situation, as indicated in other threads, is a strategic shift to go first-party for everything; in order to "cut out the middleman" for profit reasons, that is being Funimation or otherwise. However to do that entirely will take several years to develop the capacity to do this, so until such time Funimation will still exist, for now…

• At least Funimation still has several years, and in that time frame they can improve and become far better than Aniplex. Which would lead to Funimation being the favourable dubbing studio.

• Let's not get carried away now, Funimation isn't going anywhere. Trust me.

• @nubguy:

Let's not get carried away now, Funimation isn't going anywhere. Trust me.

We shall see… nonetheless, if big players such as Amazon/Netlix get serious as they appear to be, I am not certain how much longer it will remain independent it is so..

• @Anthony:

Ohhhhhhhh, thanks. And I don't agree with what he's saying, without the Japanese (liscences to stream etc) we wouldn't even have anime, so it's better to keep them happy.

we would still have anime to stream, people aren't above pirating copies and getting them translated for said crowd for subbing, dubbing would be a different story

• Occam's razor. ^_^

Shows only aren't on mobile devices because of logistics issues with the new CMS. The site, Roku, PlayStation, and Xbox are all on the old CMS, so they are show up at the same time. The mobile and tablet devices are on the new FunimationNow CMS, which still has some issues.

Episodes are supposed to be available at the same time as the website, but they still aren't always showing up at the same time due to technical issues, not licensing issues.

To address the original suggestion: we already do this. Real delays, like delaycasts, are posted to the forum and sometimes to the affected show sites. If they aren't, just let me know. I haven't looked at anything for this season since I'm on the tech side and not the content side.

Tech delays are kind of random, so we have to rely on user reports and can't post that things are delayed. However, since we are going to have a Known Issues thread about content, it'll be posted there.

• @Sophie:

Occam's razor. ^_^

Shows only aren't on mobile devices because of logistics issues with the new CMS. The site, Roku, PlayStation, and Xbox are all on the old CMS, so they are show up at the same time. The mobile and tablet devices are on the new FunimationNow CMS, which still has some issues.

Episodes are supposed to be available at the same time as the website, but they still aren't always showing up at the same time due to technical issues, not licensing issues.

To address the original suggestion: we already do this. Real delays, like delaycasts, are posted to the forum and sometimes to the affected show sites. If they aren't, just let me know. I haven't looked at anything for this season since I'm on the tech side and not the content side.

Tech delays are kind of random, so we have to rely on user reports and can't post that things are delayed. However, since we are going to have a Known Issues thread about content, it'll be posted there.

It might help on the technical side if there was some sort of opt in program for users to beta test some of these features to come out to everyone. For example the new site should be rolling out in the coming weeks, and testing it now would be beneficial for all. I'm sure there's a decent sized pool of subscribers that are technically savvy enough to test things out and report bugs.