Is good to do In-House Dubbing over 3rd Party Dubbing Company's?

• Funimation did this in the beginning with parting up Ocean to started on the English Dub for Dragonball Z but after got BIG here in American Funimation with all the money that had started doing there own in house English Dub of Dragonball Z. And that pretty as we all know have been doing In-house dubbing work EVERY since… But other company's like Viz, AOA, just name a few do 3rd Party Dubbing with other studio that dub for than... So which is better In-House Dubbing or 3rd Party Dubbing Company's? And what makes it good to do an In-House Dubbing over 3rd Party Dubbing and what makes it good to do an 3rd Party Dubbing over In-House Dubbing?

• It depends on the casting, really.

As of right now, the only companies that dub in-house are Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, and most recently Media Blasters. Of the three, Funi easily has the largest pool of talent and most consistently puts out the highest quality content, although their quality has been starting to get a bit shaky with the recent wave of broadcast dubs. Sentai started out as the worst, but they've slowly gotten better, with recent dubs such as Parasyte, Nozaki-kun, and Beyond the Boundary receiving lots of praise. And as of now, Media Blasters only has a handful of in-house dubbed titles under their belt (some of them hentai), with the results being rather mixed; Holy Knight was amateurish at best, while Ladies vs. Butlers surprisingly got a lot of acclaim.

On the other side, you've got 3rd party studios such as Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, and NYAV. Generally all three of these are capable of putting out stellar content, although again it mainly depends on casting. In general though, the LA / New York studios tend to be a bit more consistent. Most of them are at the very least "good", even though an occasional bad actor or performance will pop every now and then.

And then you have Ocean Group, who other than Inuyasha the Final Act and Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail haven't done anything anime related in years, and Blue Water who…. well... honestly kinda suck. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

It depends on the casting, really.

As of right now, the only companies that dub in-house are Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, and most recently Media Blasters. Of the three, Funi easily has the largest pool of talent and most consistently puts out the highest quality content, although their quality has been starting to get a bit shaky with the recent wave of broadcast dubs. Sentai started out as the worst, but they've slowly gotten better, with recent dubs such as Parasyte, Nozaki-kun, and Beyond the Boundary receiving lots of praise. And as of now, Media Blasters only has a handful of in-house dubbed titles under their belt (some of them hentai), with the results being rather mixed; Holy Knight was amateurish at best, while Ladies vs. Butlers surprisingly got a lot of acclaim.

On the other side, you've got 3rd party studios such as Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, and NYAV. Generally all three of these are capable of putting out stellar content, although again it mainly depends on casting. In general though, the LA / New York studios tend to be a bit more consistent. Most of them are at the very least "good", even though an occasional bad actor or performance will pop every now and then.

And then you have Ocean Group, who other than Inuyasha the Final Act and Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail haven't done anything anime related in years, and Blue Water who…. well... honestly kinda suck. :hmm:

You forgot about Akama Ga Kill the Voice Actor was GREAT by Sentai Filmworks and the Dub… As for New York that had some great voices actor on the 4Kids side... That was the BEST thing about 4Kids was that had GREAT voices actor's that had BAD spirts and Kids Edit Shit which again is NOT there fault! How the Dub place that current dub Pokemon right well that SUCK...

• No offense but I fail to see how 4Kids censoring shows is not their fault. They chose to do that themselves. I will agree they had good VAs though. As for your question, I think it helps to add that In-House Dubbing is cheaper than Outsourcing.

• @ForlornBeliever:

No offense but I fail to see how 4Kids censoring shows is not their fault. They chose to do that themselves. I will agree they had good VAs though. As for your question, I think it helps to add that In-House Dubbing is cheaper than Outsourcing.

AGAIN I ask how is that the Voices Actor fault!? 4Kids censoring shows had NOTHING to do with the voices actor who are paid for 1 thing and that to voices actor! Not to make edits! That someone else who does that not the damn voices actor! This is what piss about people who bash 4Kids that blame the voices actor for something that had NO CONTROL OVER!

• I don't think it really matters who is doing the dubbing as long as you have a competent ADR director that knows the show they are working on and is at least decent at what they do. good voice acting and casting is important as well and proper scripting, but the ADR director is the cornerstone, and if they aren't any good as what they do, the dub will suffer

• @gohan6425:

AGAIN I ask how is that the Voices Actor fault!? 4Kids censoring shows had NOTHING to do with the voices actor who are paid for 1 thing and that to voices actor! Not to make edits! That someone else who does that not the damn voices actor! This is what piss about people who bash 4Kids that blame the voices actor for something that had NO CONTROL OVER!

I'll give you this fair point that all the problems with 4KIDS entertainment shows is not the fault of the actors as some of said actors can and will give some good vocal performances in other games and anime, HOWEVER the fault comes down to bad ADR directors, or voice directors, that do a piss poor job at directing the actors in certain scenes or sometimes tell the actors to do different things than what the scene actually calls for. As well as poor script writing which the actors have to read. So yes. My problems with 4kids aren't to blame the actors, but I WILL however blame everyone else who did really piss poor jobs on certain shows.

As for whether its a good or bad thing to do an In-House dub or a 3rd Party dub pretty much all depends on perspective. Both lead to good shows, some lead to mediocre dubs and occasionally they lead to really bad ones. All depends on who is in charge of what. There's no real better or worse to using In-House or 3rd Party studios as long as said studio does a damn good job.

• @classyspartan:

I'll give you this fair point that all the problems with 4KIDS entertainment shows is not the fault of the actors as some of said actors can and will give some good vocal performances in other games and anime, HOWEVER the fault comes down to bad ADR directors, or voice directors, that do a piss poor job at directing the actors in certain scenes or sometimes tell the actors to do different things than what the scene actually calls for. As well as poor script writing which the actors have to read. So yes. My problems with 4kids aren't to blame the actors, but I WILL however blame everyone else who did really piss poor jobs on certain shows.

As for whether its a good or bad thing to do an In-House dub or a 3rd Party dub pretty much all depends on perspective. Both lead to good shows, some lead to mediocre dubs and occasionally they lead to really bad ones. All depends on who is in charge of what. There's no real better or worse to using In-House or 3rd Party studios as long as said studio does a damn good job.

Yes directors are to blame but not the voices actor… That have NO said in what is change in script... Erica Schroeder who voices Luffy for 4Kids had even come and said she WISHES she could have voices Luffy in more of non censor version of Luffy as she stated it was one of favorite roles she had done... And I think it one best roles she did too.. She a 110% times better then the current Luffy English voices actor as that voices actor suck...

• Just like any show or movie the director is a key player in the direction the show takes.

• @gohan6425:

She a 110% times better then the current Luffy English voices actor as that voices actor suck…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

I wasn't even mentioning that. I was just saying that the VAs themselves were not the sole issue in 4kids shows as a lot of other things were much more wrong with it. It's not a discussion of who is the better or worse portrayal of the character as I personally enjoy Clinkenbeard's take on the character quite a lot actually.

• @classyspartan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

I wasn't even mentioning that. I was just saying that the VAs themselves were not the sole issue in 4kids shows as a lot of other things were much more wrong with it. It's not a discussion of who is the better or worse portrayal of the character as I personally enjoy Clinkenbeard's take on the character quite a lot actually.

OMG How do you like Clinkenbeard work? She SOOOOOOO bad at voices actor it not even funny…

• @gohan6425:

OMG How do you like Clinkenbeard work? She SOOOOOOO bad at voices actor it not even funny…

No she's not. She's pretty damn awesome, actually.

• @SpacemanHardy:

No she's not. She's pretty damn awesome, actually.

LMFAO… No she not... EVERY ROLE I SEEN HER IN SHE SUCK... 18,Kid Gohon and Teen Gohan in Kai which her roles gohan had made not even like him anymore that HOW BAD SHE IS... And of course Luffy...

• Gohan, have you heard her in anything else other than DBZ and One Piece?

• @Getchman:

Gohan, have you heard her in anything else other than DBZ and One Piece?

No not yet THANK GOD! She sound the same in every roles she plays she easy spot i know that drug voice, As it hurt my ears as it so bad one time i wanted break my tv b/c she SO BAD as 18 in kai it not even funny! Thank God she got FIRE as 18! Don't get me started with the little roles she done as Kid Goku! -_- OMG WHOLELY SHIT SHE BAD IN THAT ROLE!

• I don't watch One Piece (or other long-running shonen things, please do not tell me I should) but Colleen Clinkenbeard is pretty good in the things I have heard her in… mostly older things, though.

Honestly, though, there's one person who's been in everything recently who I can't stand and I just won't watch it if she's in it (CA, not Texas). And they cast her as one of my favorite characters ever so I'm just... ignoring the dub for that show ^_^; I don't like naming names for things I don't like, though, so I won't.

But really, in both English and Japanese, it's the directors' fault if it's good or bad. You will notice if you look that it's never one or two people who sound like they didn't even try - it's either the whole cast is amazing (e.g. dubs for Code Geass, K, Black Butler, Fullmetal Alchemist) or they're all awful and only one or two people sound like they care at all (I won't name shows, but Todd Haberkorn and Caitlin Glass were both in shows recently where they sounded like they were the only ones that cared). The Japanese voice actors are not immune to this. Honestly, K in Japanese just sounds flat to me. It's a bunch of popular voice actors being popular voice actors - most of whom have done amazing work in other shows - Black Butler and Valvrave come to mind (yes, I love Valvrave, and the Japanese voice acting in that show is some of the best I've heard. It's a shame it flopped so badly because those are some of the best performances of some of the more popular seiyuu (male ones in particular). I'm almost sort of glad it didn't get a dub, unless it could have been dubbed by the people that did K).

And then there are those that just never sound like they try.
    The dub for Black Butler: Book of Circus looks amazing, though, from the trailer. The difference between that and the broadcast dubs mostly has to do with lead time (aside from direction). I wonder if it's at all possible for them to arrange eventually to start getting more lead time to do the broadcast dubs. Honestly, from the one or two I've watched...

• @gohan6425:

LMFAO… No she not...

Yes she is. =^_^=

• @Fiammetta:

I don't watch One Piece (or other long-running shonen things, please do not tell me I should) but Colleen Clinkenbeard is pretty good in the things I have heard her in… mostly older things, though.

Honestly, though, there's one person who's been in everything recently who I can't stand and I just won't watch it if she's in it (CA, not Texas). And they cast her as one of my favorite characters ever so I'm just... ignoring the dub for that show ^_^; I don't like naming names for things I don't like, though, so I won't.

But really, in both English and Japanese, it's the directors' fault if it's good or bad. You will notice if you look that it's never one or two people who sound like they didn't even try - it's either the whole cast is amazing (e.g. dubs for Code Geass, K, Black Butler, Fullmetal Alchemist) or they're all awful and only one or two people sound like they care at all (I won't name shows, but Todd Haberkorn and Caitlin Glass were both in shows recently where they sounded like they were the only ones that cared). The Japanese voice actors are not immune to this. Honestly, K in Japanese just sounds flat to me. It's a bunch of popular voice actors being popular voice actors - most of whom have done amazing work in other shows - Black Butler and Valvrave come to mind (yes, I love Valvrave, and the Japanese voice acting in that show is some of the best I've heard. It's a shame it flopped so badly because those are some of the best performances of some of the more popular seiyuu (male ones in particular). I'm almost sort of glad it didn't get a dub, unless it could have been dubbed by the people that did K).

And then there are those that just never sound like they try.
    The dub for Black Butler: Book of Circus looks amazing, though, from the trailer. The difference between that and the broadcast dubs mostly has to do with lead time (aside from direction). I wonder if it's at all possible for them to arrange eventually to start getting more lead time to do the broadcast dubs. Honestly, from the one or two I've watched...

It not the director fault for making a voices actor have a BAD voices… She sound same in all her role... She does not change her voices up one bit... She sound like she on crack or on drug... She does not like Gohan at ALL! Stephanie N. On the other hand she was SOOOOO great with Kid and Teen Gohan and Kid Goku in both role sound different you could who was who... Colleen on the other hand SOUND THE DAMN SAME Kid Goku and Kid Gohan sound the same....Kid Goku and Kid Gohan are not suppose to sound alike...

@SpacemanHardy:

Yes she is. =^_^=

YOUR WRONG… SHE SUCK DEAL WITH IT... There a reason she fire as 18 for the 2 new DBZ movies and new DBX video game...

• @gohan6425:

No not yet THANK GOD! She sound the same in every roles she plays she easy spot i know that drug voice, As it hurt my ears as it so bad one time i wanted break my tv b/c she SO BAD as 18 in kai it not even funny! Thank God she got FIRE as 18! Don't get me started with the little roles she done as Kid Goku! -_- OMG WHOLELY SHIT SHE BAD IN THAT ROLE!

well, there's your problem. since you have such an extremely limited sample size to work with, understanding why other people like her is going to be a mystery to you. do you even watch other shows?

and yes, i'm fully aware you really don't like her in DBZ, you've only said this exact same thing dozens of times, I think we all get it by now

Also, since Sabat is now directing the show to be more similar to the way it sounds in Japanese, rather the horrible, butchered monstrosity it used to be, Kid Goku and Kid Gohan are supposed to sound the same. That's how Masako Nozawa has been doing it for years, so it make sense to do the same thing in English if Sabat's goal is to stay as faithful as possible. Which it is, except for Goku still sounding like an adult man, which I am thankful for .

• @gohan6425:

YOUR WRONG… SHE SUCK DEAL WITH IT

Nope. You're wrong. =^_^=

• @Getchman:

well, there's your problem. since you have such an extremely limited sample size to work with, understanding why other people like her is going to be a mystery to you. do you even watch other shows?

and yes, i'm fully aware you really don't like her in DBZ, you've only said this exact same thing dozens of times, I think we all get it by now

Well may be she not in other b/c she suck!

@SpacemanHardy:

Nope. You're wrong. =^_^=

NO YOU'RE WRONG SHE GOT FIRE AS 18! FACT! DEAL WITH IT! =^_^=