Skip Beat! Kickstarter

• Nothing to do with Funimation but I'm trying to spread the word as much as possible through different sources!

Pied Piper has launched a Kickstarter for a Skip Beat! English dub and DVD/possible Blu-Ray release! If you're a fan or are interested, please come support this, we need much help as possible since we are almost to the goal! I see Funimation has shown their support as well! Help out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/85938147/skip-beat-official-north-american-release/

• I have been hearing a lot about this. Could you maybe tell me a little bit about the series and why you think it's worth investing in?

• @nubguy:

I have been hearing a lot about this. Could you maybe tell me a little bit about the series and why you think it's worth investing in?

I really haven't seen the series either but I am backing it really because it looks very interesting and I like shoujo anime but if you really want to get a feel for it you can check it out on crunchyroll. I believe that would answer your question the best but here is a quick syn of the show.

Kyoko moves to the big city with the prince of her dreams Shotaro; he wants to make it big in the entertainment business, so she works hard at many different jobs to support him as he achieves his dream. However, one day, Kyoko accidentally discovers the horrible truth: the love of her life thinks of her as a 'plain and boring woman!' Outraged, Kyoko swears revenge she will make it even bigger than Shotaro in the entertainment world. The only question is, how will she fulfill her desire?

here is a link so you can read the reviews also http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/skip-beat

• Yea, basically she gets screwed by the guy and it only makes her stronger as an individual and goes for her dreams. It has some romance, but it's full of comedy lol. Its one of the greater shojo beat type shows out there and it finally has a chance to get released here AND dubbed which is a plus. I definitely backed it with a higher tier pledge to get the good stuff. You can also go for a lower tier if you want, but its worth paying to get the collector's box etc. :D

• @nubguy:

I have been hearing a lot about this. Could you maybe tell me a little bit about the series and why you think it's worth investing in?

Because the base of the show is really about how Kyoko, who's repressed herself for others her entire life, goes about trying to find out who she is and what she really wants in life. She only enters the show biz world in order to get revenge on the childhood friend who used and then dumped her but she finds that it's a place that she really wants to be with people that support her. Kyoko is also an incredibly quirky person who manifests grudge demons and still believes in fairies so it's a lot of fun to watch her.

Like kaishino said, it's available subtitled on crunchyroll if you want to check it out: http://www.crunchyroll.com/skip-beat

It's worth investing in because it's a fun show with a great main character. It's also worth investing in to send a message that there is a place for physical releases and English dubs of shows like Skip Beat in NA.

• I've watched the series and am currently reading the manga (Viz) because of it. Skip Beat is one of those titles that grabs you and won't let go. It subverts the traditional tropes of shoujo romance with a heroine who puts loving herself first before thinking about getting the guy. It has a take-charge heroine, wounded heroes, and really awesome grudges that hands down are the best anime "mascots" ever.

Once you've watched Skip Beat, it's like you're in a special group of fans who've found this hidden gem. You're giddy when someone cosplays it. You smile when you see someone holding a manga volume. You're dumbfounded that, before now, no one else has licensed it for North America.

I'm hoping people back the Kickstarter for a few reasons. That they're fans, naturally. That they love shoujo anime and want to encourage companies to invest in licensing more of it. To prove to said companies that fans like more kinds of shoujo than magical girl and yaoi (though we do like those too) and we are willing to support it.

And because it's important to many, this campaign is for a dual language release: the original Japanese audio with improved subtitles and a brand new English dub. DVD is the main goal; Blu-ray the first stretch goal.

Actors Mela Lee (Rin, Fate/Stay Night; Yuki, Vampire Knight) is executive producer. Christina Vee (Sailor Mars, Sailor Moon; Mio, K-ON!) is executive producer and casting director. Pied Piper, Inc. campaigned for and produced the Time of Eve home video release.

• I have not seen the entire series nor read the entire manga but I can tell you that it is really good. Very enjoyable, great character development and good comedy. The series feels so realistic to fans of it. You can enjoy it with friends and family.

I think the best thing about this series is seeing this girl who gets involved in the acting world, at first it's for revenge but later on she sees beyond that and begins to enjoy it for herself.

• Alright, you've all convinced me! With it coming down to the last 6 days here, I've decided to throw my support in for this kickstarter. The voice cast is looking phenomenal so far, including Vic Mignogna, also known as Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist. It has extremely high ratings and is considered to be one of the best anime of all time by many. I am really looking forward to checking this one out once it gets released.

From Kickstarter:
    96% of the 14,000-plus ratings on Crunchyroll are 5 out of 5 stars. For thousands of fans, Skip Beat! is a near perfect anime. On My Anime List it ranks #205 - that's in the top 0.02% of ALL ANIME SERIES EVER! Anime News Network gave the series Grade A and calls it a "full-course feast of fiendishly addictive entertainment for all ages and sexes."

I really hope it makes the stretch goal for the bluray as well. I was going to go with the DVD only pledge, but I ended up going with the option that allowed for the upgrade to bluray once the stretch goal is met. I also just wanted to help support the show and of dubs in general.

If you haven't done so already, I encourage you to head over to Kickstarter and fund this awesome anime. It looks like it's going to be really good! Please, show your support!

(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/85938147/skip-beat-official-north-american-release/)

• Just over $5,000 left to go and 4 days! Now is the time to fund if you've been on the fence about it!

Then it's on to the Blu-Ray stretch goal!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/85938147/skip-beat-official-north-american-release/

• Less than $1500 to go, someone must have snatched up one of the larger pledges.

• @Rejectedshadow:

Less than $1500 to go, someone must have snatched up one of the larger pledges.

Yeah, looks like somebody upped their choice from the $900 Skype VA class to the $5000 speaking part

Follow your dreams, man!

EDIT: and now it is funded

• @Riles:

Yeah, looks like somebody upped their choice from the $900 Skype VA class to the $5000 speaking part

Follow your dreams, man!

EDIT: and now it is funded

lol if I had 5 g's saved up I would so do that.

1 Hundo a day, 5 Hundo a week, that's rich.

That's awesome! What a great triumph for dubs! Now, time to reach for that Blu-Ray Stretch Goal!

• How in the world did they get Caitlin Glass to voice Kyoko!? This is like the second title not licensed by Funimation that I've heard of that she has a speaking role in.

• @GalaxyCrisis:

How in the world did they get Caitlin Glass to voice Kyoko!? This is like the second title not licensed by Funimation that I've heard of that she has a speaking role in.

Maybe she is a fan of the show.

• @GalaxyCrisis:

How in the world did they get Caitlin Glass to voice Kyoko!? This is like the second title not licensed by Funimation that I've heard of that she has a speaking role in.

Well for the last few years she has had several LA video game roles. But yeah, only a couple LA anime roles (Pokemon, a brief appearance in SAO, a regular in Love Live). I guess maybe they offered her enough to justify the trip or maybe schedule wise she was already gonna be in LA doing some other projects and it just works out? Or it could be another Love Live situation where this is a project she really wants to be a part of.

• @unknownsage13:

Well for the last few years she has had several LA video game roles. But yeah, only a couple LA anime roles (Pokemon, a brief appearance in SAO, a regular in Love Live). I guess maybe they offered her enough to justify the trip or maybe schedule wise she was already gonna be in LA doing some other projects and it just works out? Or it could be another Love Live situation where this is a project she really wants to be a part of.

The Love Live role was the only other one I was aware of beforehand, but I had to double-check on the others you mentioned; the minor role in SAO completely blew me away.

But yeah, I was totally expecting Kyoko to be voiced by a VA more common in series licensed by West Coast-based companies, based on the fact that the other VA's announced were in that same basic category. This latest announcement came in completely out of the park for me, let alone out of left field.

• @GalaxyCrisis:

The Love Live role was the only other one I was aware of beforehand, but I had to double-check on the others you mentioned; the minor role in SAO completely blew me away.

But yeah, I was totally expecting Kyoko to be voiced by a VA more common in series licensed by West Coast-based companies, based on the fact that the other VA's announced were in that same basic category. This latest announcement came in completely out of the park for me, let alone out of left field.

Yeah. With SAO she was in LA at the time doing something else (probably Street FIghters related) and someone offered to give her a minor role in the show (I think it was whoever was directing it).

But I too was surprised by the casting. Cuz I totally thought it would be Cristina or Mela. Especially cuz there were two announcements left and neither of those actresses had been mentioned yet. Then BAM the second to last announcement is made and it has two character voices by both of them. So then I had no idea what to expect for Kyoko. I think I just figured it would be one of the newer LA dub actors.

Btw, I'm not sure how to picture Kyoko sounding now. Due to going several weeks expecting Mela or Cristina I kept picturing a kinda whiny attitude voice. Caitlin doesn't really do that, she has more of an older sound to her voice.

• @unknownsage13:

I totally thought it would be Cristina or Mela. Especially cuz there were two announcements left and neither of those actresses had been mentioned yet.

I guess you must have missed this since it was announced earlier in the day before they hit their goal.

Skip Beat's English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Casts Cristina Vee, Mela Lee

• @LuckySeven:

I guess you must have missed this since it was announced earlier in the day before they hit their goal.

Skip Beat's English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Casts Cristina Vee, Mela Lee

I know that, I stayed consistently up to date with the project. You misread what I said.

• Well, if it got funded, then I suppose I'll wait. But if Mighty No. 9 taught me anything, it's to not be too excited for a Kickstarter project.

• http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-15/skip-beat-english-dub-kickstarter-campaign-reaches-blu-ray-disc-release-goal/.101088

ADR: Talesin Jaffe :up:

@SorrealBrain:

Well, if it got funded, then I suppose I'll wait. But if Mighty No. 9 taught me anything, it's to not be too excited for a Kickstarter project.

At least these guys have a good history.