Being able to make the subs bigger would be cool.

• I'm visually impaired so subs are a difficult thing for me, I usually end up having to hold my tablet a few inches away from my face to watch a subbed show.

• @ladyshai81:

I'm visually impaired so subs are a difficult thing for me, I usually end up having to hold my tablet a few inches away from my face to watch a subbed show.

I know the site is going to be switching to soft subs, which would open that possibility, but I wonder if the apps still use hard subs. If so, that would mean making bigger subs would require separate encodings of each episode of every show, which would not be very practical.

• Everything will be going soft sub as we move more apps and the site over to FunimationNow. Post launch, there will be options to customize the size, color, and treatment of the subtitles.

For now, everything uses the hard subbed videos, but we are in the process of re-encoding the entire library for soft subs. The developers are excited about it. ^_^

• What's the difference between soft and hard subbed? I didn't even know there was a soft/hard. ;P

• (I am sure someone can explain it better)

But hard subs are hard encoded into the video file. Basically they are a part of the video stream for that episode and can't be removed or modified.

Soft Subs are a separate file that can be accessed and overlayed over the currently playing video stream. They have the option to be, or not to be (HAMLET) displayed.

• So basically you can't change hard subs and you can edit soft subs (make them bigger/smaller / change display).

Did I get that right??

• Yes!

(Soft subs can't always be edited but they have the option to have that option unlike Hard Subs)

• I have another thing to look forward too! :)

• I'm glad to hear they are switching over to soft subs. Way better.

• You'll also be able to turn them off if you want to take screenshots. ^_^

• Will soft subs also be available for the app (iOS). As for screenshots will the menu disappear after a certain amount of time (5 secs or so).
    (Menu: when you want to pause/play, go front 10secs etc).

• Yes, soft subs will be on all devices. The menu will disappear on tap. (That one is a bug on iOS.)

• Cool ^_^, I'm especially excited for the bug to be fixed!