How does Crunchyroll work?

• I have never really used Crunchyroll that much and was wondering if maybe someone could explain how it works? I was under the impression that it was free but it wouldn't let me watch certain shows and wouldn't allow for HD video.

• I got you covered.

Basically, similar to Funimation, Crunchyroll is a streaming service that can be watched as a free member or also as a paid subscriber too, which comes with more benefits. Basically, anytime an episode or video has no crown on that episode, then you can watch it as a free member. If the episode DOES have that crown over it, you can't watch it as a free member.

Those episodes marked with crowns are typically for the single most recently released episodes of anime that came out that week, and for a free member to watch it, they must wait a full week to watch it when the next episode comes out. Of course there are also certain shows where you need to be a paid-subscriber to even watch certain shows, but those are very rare and few inbetween.

Basically the benefit of having a paid Crunchyroll subscription is the exact same principal for Funimation's paid-membership. Can watch the latest episodes one hour after they air in Japan, 1080p Quality with No commercial interruptions. Also having this subscription allows you to read a collection of Manga in Funimation's catalog as well, as the majority of those are needed for someone to be a paid member to watch it. Honestly as someone who pays for both services, I'd also advise getting a Crunchyroll membership too if you're really keen on taking part in keeping up in a lot of upcoming simulcasts that will be coming out from Japan so you can be caught up weekly and get 1080p HD quality service with no commercial interruptions.

• @classyspartan:

I got you covered.

Basically, similar to Funimation, Crunchyroll is a streaming service that can be watched as a free member or also as a paid subscriber too, which comes with more benefits. Basically, anytime an episode or video has no crown on that episode, then you can watch it as a free member. If the episode DOES have that crown over it, you can't watch it as a free member.

Those episodes marked with crowns are typically for the single most recently released episodes of anime that came out that week, and for a free member to watch it, they must wait a full week to watch it when the next episode comes out. Of course there are also certain shows where you need to be a paid-subscriber to even watch certain shows, but those are very rare and few inbetween.

Basically the benefit of having a paid Crunchyroll subscription is the exact same principal for Funimation's paid-membership. Can watch the latest episodes one hour after they air in Japan, 1080p Quality with No commercial interruptions. Also having this subscription allows you to read a collection of Manga in Funimation's catalog as well, as the majority of those are needed for someone to be a paid member to watch it. Honestly as someone who pays for both services, I'd also advise getting a Crunchyroll membership too if you're really keen on taking part in keeping up in a lot of upcoming simulcasts that will be coming out from Japan so you can be caught up weekly and get 1080p HD quality service with no commercial interruptions.

Thanks for the answer!

I was hesitant at first, but you have convinced me! It really sounds like it's worth it, especially given all the good shows coming out this season. Having 1080HD is also a big deal. I went ahead and signed up.

Do you have any suggestions for shows to add to my queue?

• Unless it changed, I'm pretty sure that a year after a show has aired it's no longer available to non subscribers

• @Getchman:

Unless it changed, I'm pretty sure that a year after a show has aired it's no longer available to non subscribers

Considering I was watching a show form 2014 over Skype alongside friends of mine who were free users I'm pretty sure that rule has since been changed so yeah.

Also nubguy I recall I gave you a list a while back recommending non-Funimation shows to you in the past. I digged it up and I'm pretty sure you can find MOST of these on Crunchyroll. Not all of course but most. Decided to edit that and see which shows were on CR and which ones in general I feel are worth checking out!

A Lull in the Sea
    Angel Beats
    Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
    Blue Exorcist
    Chaika the Coffin Princess
    Durarara!!
    ef: a tale of memories (Season 1)
    ef: a tale of melodies (Season 2)
    Fate/Zero
    Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
    Gurren Lagann
    Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
    Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
    Hunter x Hunter 2011
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Kill la Kill
    Konosuba - God's Blessing to this Wonderful World!
    Kyousougiga
    Little Witch Academia
    Log Horizon
    Madoka Magica
    Monster Musume
    My Little Monster
    My Love Story!!
    Plastic Memories
    School-Live!
    Shirobako
    Sound! Euphonium
    Sound of the Sky
    The World God Only Knows
    Time of Eve
    Toradora
    Ushio & Tora
    Waiting in the Summer
    Working!!

Those are some of the ones I personally have finished and enjoyed quite a lot on Crunchyroll. Look around, see which ones interest you and check it out. But yeah there's a lot of stuff on Crunchyroll, it's just your call on what you want to watch.

• More recommendations:

Active Raid
    Beyond the Boundary
    Case Closed
    The File of Young Kindaichi Returns (similar to Case Closed)
    Kamigami no Asobi
    Love Live!
    Maoyu
    Outbreak Company
    Valvrave

Aside from the two episodic detective series, these are the "If you like adorable characters and want to have your emotions torn to shreds" list. "A Lull in the Sea" can go on this list, too.

• This post is deleted!

• I'm glad I listened to you Classy. Crunchyroll is awesome. I especially like their app a lot more too. For anyone who hasn't gotten Crunchyroll yet, I highly recommend doing so. A lot of great shows on there.

• Regarding show to watch on CR, I'm glad you included Toradora, My Love Story and Anohana, they are some of my favorites. I'd add Outbreak Company, Silver Spoon, No Game No Life and Your Lie in April. On the cutesy side I'd suggest Cat Planet Cuties (only if you really like fan service) and HaNaYaMaTa (very cute 0 fan service).

• Cat Planet Cuties is on FUNimation, not Crunchyroll. Just wanted to point that out as it is definitely /definitely/ in my top 3 favorite anime.