Somewhat new to anime–have some questions about DVD releases

• Hi everyone!

I have some questions that I can't find answers to for the life of me through all manner of searches and sleuthing. I hope that someone here can help me out and put my mind to rest. :P

I watched very little anime other than one show based off of a manga I read up until playing Arslan: The Warriors of Legend on PS4. The story was so good that I subscribed to Funimation just to watch the anime (The Heroic Legend of Arslan), and I've watched all 25 episodes now in a span of 72 hours. I loved it so much that I now want to throw money at them in any way I can. My problem is this: I can't find any information on when the anime will be released for purchase on DVD or Blu-ray with English subtitles and/or dub. I've found the manga (will be buying all of them, already pre-ordered the next release) and the Japanese DVD set on Amazon. I don't care about dub; I actually prefer subtitles and the Japanese voice actors, though I'm pretty sure that the reason for it not being available here yet is because of the time it takes to dub (though most of the episodes here seem to have the option already).

Here are my questions: do most/all animes that get English subtitles/dub also get guaranteed a physical release? Is there a chance some shows that don't do as well won't get released for American audiences at all? How long does it usually take an anime to get a physical release for western audiences after it airs? And lastly, I have never bought anime on DVD before, so I wonder if someone can tell me if most DVDs allow the option to watch the anime with English subtitles instead of full dub, since I would vastly prefer that.

I apologize if some of these questions seem self-explanatory to you guys. I am almost brand new to anime and have never been a TV show watcher, so I'm not certain how all this works. I now have over 50 shows in my queue, though, so I'm pretty sure I'm here to stay. ^_^

Thank you all for reading!

• @LovingLife139:

Here are my questions: do most/all animes that get English subtitles/dub also get guaranteed a physical release?

In the olden days, an English dub was made with the express purpose of either TV broadcast or physical release. Now with streaming prevailing, it's down to most, since some dubs are commissioned by Crunchyroll and the like for series showing on their channels.

Is there a chance some shows that don't do as well won't get released for American audiences at all?

Oh yes.

How long does it usually take an anime to get a physical release for western audiences after it airs?

It varies, although the average for Funimation runs about 12 - 16 months after. There are some that have taken far longer.

And lastly, I have never bought anime on DVD before, so I wonder if someone can tell me if most DVDs allow the option to watch the anime with English subtitles instead of full dub, since I would vastly prefer that.

Yes, although there are some Dub-only titles, mostly kids' shows or ones that have primarily shown on TV.

• The reason that Arslan has a dub already is because it's part of Funimation's new Broadcast Dub campaign, where select series are dubbed as little as 4-6 weeks after airing in Japan. These dubs are exclusively available only to All-Access subscribers for a limited time.

As far as physical releases go, as TIL mentioned above, the average waiting time is about 12-16 months after the show finishes airing in Japan. Sometimes it can take a bit longer than that, depending on the show and licensor. For a two-cour (25 episode) show such as Arslan, we can probably estimate that the first 13 episodes will be made available somewhere between July and November, and the second half will appear somewhere between October and January. Again, this is just a rough estimate.

Also, while there are indeed some dub-only releases, these are extremely rare, and are almost always frowned upon by both fans and licensors alike. In the case of Arslan, I can assure you with complete and utter confidence that the eventual home video release will contain both Japanese with subtitles and English audio.

• Ah, thank you both so much for replying and answering my questions. ^_^ You guys have been super helpful. I like the community here thus far.

I was really worried that the Arslan series wouldn't get released at all, since I could find nothing on it, but this all makes me feel better. I wonder, with all of these estimates and exceptions to the rule with anime releases, where can you find definitive answers on whether or not a certain series is scheduled for a physical release here? In the case of Arslan, I went to the official website but cannot read Japanese (and all references to anime release dates seemed to be talking about the Japanese release), and I also signed up for Anime News Network, hoping to get some wisps of news about it eventually. Other than that, I guess I'd just be out of luck, always waiting for it. :P

Thanks again to the both of you for taking time to explain the simplicities of anime to a noob.

• Typically, in the case of a physical release, they will post some information on their blog http://www.funimation.com/blog/

If it is going to be a bigger release and get collector's editions or other special things. Some examples would be Tokyo Ghoul, Free, Evangelion and etc. There are a lot of factors that can determine when something releases so there are not a lot of set hard and fast rules.

Otherwise, if a physical set is going to be sold Funi is one of the first places it will go up. Check the show page for any items for sale and they will also show the release date if it is a pre-order. If there is no information in these 2 locations (For a Funi show at least) then it is a good chance there has been no official release annouced. Sadly, this means all you can do is wait.