What is a Code Geass and can you eat it?

• I have been hearing a lot about Code Geass on the forums lately. Is this a show or my next breakfast?

All joking a salad, is this as good as the hype suggests? Also, is there a good streaming service to watch it in dub? People seem pretty excited about the new one so I thought I might try it out.

• Code Geass is easily one of my favorites (out of the 300+ series I've seen) so I highly recommend it. It has just about everything to please just about anyone (except for those who dislike it for that very reason). However, it's not legally available anywhere for streaming and has long since gone out of print. Akito hasn't been released yet in NA and has no streaming options, but the Japanese release has subtitles.

The short end of the story: FUNimation needs to get it released.

• @nubguy:

I have been hearing a lot about Code Geass on the forums lately. Is this a show or my next breakfast?

All joking a salad, is this as good as the hype suggests? Also, is there a good streaming service to watch it in dub? People seem pretty excited about the new one so I thought I might try it out.

YouTube my friend YouTube… There other ways too watch it but saddly I can't tell you or are Great Forums Moderator SpacemanHardy "will slap me silly :oOo:" LOL... All I will tell you is Google it... You could buy the DVD's on Ebay as there are good prices out there on Ebay... This is what I did... But other then that, that all I can tell you how to watch it... Until FUNimation re-released it... WHICH HOPEFUL WILL BE SOON...

• I worry about overhyping it because I know of a few people where the show has been ruined for them due to having expectations too high, but it is one of my favorite anime and holds a spot in my top 5 anime endings.

I don't know about legal streaming, I haven't seen it anywhere and haven't thought to look since I have it on DVD. (I managed to snag the entire series for $20 from a used dvd store, major score especially considering it's currently out of print)

• I had issues with its cheap levels of suspense and that it kept me in the dark for no reason. I get that there are some things but they really needed to show some of the things that Lelouch was up to, once I finished season one I thought the show was so-so. Yea it was good and all but it had problems that were glaring for me and I just didn't like it.

• @darthrutsula:

I had issues with its cheap levels of suspense and that it kept me in the dark for no reason. I get that there are some things but they really needed to show some of the things that Lelouch was up to, once I finished season one I thought the show was so-so. Yea it was good and all but it had problems that were glaring for me and I just didn't like it.

So-so? What did you not like about it? Everything was perfect plan out and that what make the show ever better… The only thing that un answer is something ask about in this forums... Which you ALL know what that is...

• @gohan6425:

So-so? What did you not like about it? Everything was perfect plan out and that what make the show ever better… The only thing that un answer is something ask about in this forums... Which you ALL know what that is...

But it wasn't though, the ending was probably the best part of the series. It had very cheap levels of suspense and also having a high school aged kid just bothers me. Some things i'm fine being kept in the dark for but not for the whole entire series, I want to be able to predict what happens and be shown wrong and told why, code geass was very easy to predict.

• @darthrutsula:

But it wasn't though, the ending was probably the best part of the series. It had very cheap levels of suspense and also having a high school aged kid just bothers me. Some things i'm fine being kept in the dark for but not for the whole entire series, I want to be able to predict what happens and be shown wrong and told why, code geass was very easy to predict.

What wrong with a high school aged kid being the guy lol? How was it predict when Leouch was VERY unpredictable!? LOL… Everything about the series was EPIC!

• @gohan6425:

What wrong with a high school aged kid being the guy lol? How was it predict when Leouch was VERY unpredictable!? LOL… Everything about the series was EPIC!

Cliched and simply put no he wasn't unpredictable. He was unpredictable in the beginning when I was unfamiliar with him but towards the end it turns into "oh how does he turn this around?" I came to expect everything to go his way essentially and there was no set-up to any of his plans that we get to see, that is not enjoyable if you ask me. As far as master tacticians go he is no where near what I would consider the top ten.

• @nubguy:

What is a Code Geass

A miserable little pile of tropes. ~_^

-or-

@nubguy:

is this as good as the hype suggests?

It's like Guilty Crown with a better director.

• Code Geass: Best anime ever, or best anything ever?

It's not perfect moment by moment, but the complete thing is just… amazing.

It has the right mix of campy fun (e.g. all of the important figures being high school students, purple mecha with capes, using mecha to make a giant pizza, etc.) and real thoughtful and serious ideas - not only that, but the two combine in interesting ways (e.g. what could be a better statement for peace than taking an instrument of war and using it to make food - for an event that openly welcomes people from both sides?)

Also Lelouch is beautiful. There's also that. Okay, everyone in it is gorgeous, and no matter what your type is, you are going to be attracted to someone in this show.

Basically, I give it 100/10 and you should preorder it as soon as FUNi puts up release details. Which… would be nice... any day now... tenth anniversary and all that...

• @darthrutsula:

Cliched and simply put no he wasn't unpredictable. He was unpredictable in the beginning when I was unfamiliar with him but towards the end it turns into "oh how does he turn this around?" I came to expect everything to go his way essentially and there was no set-up to any of his plans that we get to see, that is not enjoyable if you ask me. As far as master tacticians go he is no where near what I would consider the top ten.

WRONG AGAIN… The point was for him to unpredictable which he was thoughout the whole series that what make hi SOOO great and EPIC! I think you need to watch ti again...

@Fiammetta:

Code Geass: Best anime ever, or best anything ever?

It's not perfect moment by moment, but the complete thing is just… amazing.

It has the right mix of campy fun (e.g. all of the important figures being high school students, purple mecha with capes, using mecha to make a giant pizza, etc.) and real thoughtful and serious ideas - not only that, but the two combine in interesting ways (e.g. what could be a better statement for peace than taking an instrument of war and using it to make food - for an event that openly welcomes people from both sides?)

Also Lelouch is beautiful. There's also that. Okay, everyone in it is gorgeous, and no matter what your type is, you are going to be attracted to someone in this show.

Basically, I give it 100/10 and you should preorder it as soon as FUNi puts up release details. Which… would be nice... any day now... tenth anniversary and all that...

Well I already have then R1 and R2 DVD Sets… So unless the Blu-Ray offer better thing it in I don't really need it but do wanted to get the OVA Code Geass: Akito the Exiled when that English Dub...

• http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?10351-New-member-looking-for-friends

BTW Nub, reread my last posts I had on this thread. I edited it after you responded with a wall of text… that answered some of ur qs.

• @gohan6425:

WRONG AGAIN… The point was for him to unpredictable which he was thoughout the whole series that what make hi SOOO great and EPIC! I think you need to watch ti again...

To be fair, some of it was fairly predictable. I've hear a number of arguements against the show from people who didn't like it and I do accept that. We knew from the first episode that

! Lelouch would be dying (The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed.) and there were times where his moves were beyond suspension of disbelief. I've also hear people complain about there being so many coincidences that make Lelouch's plan work and that it's not a good story telling method. There are also a number of times where he makes the situation far worse then it needed to be (Euphie being my prime example here), so there are complaints don't think it was always that he was unpredictable as much as he was making some things up as he went along.

• There are times when someone fully understands a show (or understands it as much as they want to) and their criticism makes sense. And there are times when criticism is really shallow. That doesn't make it "not okay" to dislike the show. That doesn't mean anyone is obligated to watch it again. It doesn't mean anyone's not smart enough or anything. It just means that that criticism is shallow. There's nothing wrong with saying "I think that criticism is really shallow."
    And I do think that that criticism is rather shallow, actually.

! "We knew from the first episode that Lelouch would be dying" And how does that take away from the experience? From the story, and the characters? If anything, for me at least, it sort of adds meaning - we know he feels there's no place for him in the peaceful world he wants to create. It adds to his character development and raises interesting questions - would he have believed that something other than the Zero Requiem plan would have worked, if he didn't believe he needed to die? etc.

"There were so many coincidences that made Lelouch's plans work" a) not really, and definitely not anymore than when "coincidence" got in the way of his plans.
    b) … that's actually an interesting point, because... define "coincidence". Why are coincidences always a bad thing? What is a "coincidence" really, other than "something he didn't plan for that has an effect on the outcome"? You have a character who knows exactly how to separate the good from bad information out of everything he can get his hands on. What better way to challenge him than to give him something he couldn't have predicted? (e.g. Mao reading minds - the exact antithesis of his strength).
    For an example where a coincidence helped Lelouch's plan -

! in episode 8, when Euphie was among the hostages in the hotel, and he could tell that this was the case because otherwise, Cornelia would just sacrifice the hostages. i) It reinforces to the viewer how much of a connection he had with his family before he left Britannia, and his connection with Euphie and Cornelia in particular, which is necessary setup for how he interacts with them later. ii) From the point of view of the other characters, it is unexpected for Cornelia to just let Zero go into the building. How they react to this, and what opinions they form of Zero, become significant. I don't see how this takes away from the complexity and interest levels of the story, rather than adding to it. So even though it helped him, it still isn't a problematic or cheap/lazy coincidence.

… I love this show because it has enough in it that you can even ask these types of questions and find answers, which is rare.

.... also, just double checking, you do realize that the Euphie thing was unintentional, and that he was really upset about that happening, right? I'm not trying to insult you, but I don't know you, and I have seen people who think he did that intentionally, so I just wanted to make sure...

• To be honest there were only three things in the show I legitimately was surprised about,

! when he accidentally commanded Euphie to murder everyone, when they fought in China (and lost) and when everyone turned on him forcing him to do things in a way that I personally would have. Everything else was easy to for-see and made me angry that they didn't show anything as far as set-up goes before each battle, it just allows for cheap surprises that get old real quick.

I don't know, maybe all the star wars i'm so familiar with really ruined me on grand scheme battle military stuff.

EDIT: Use spoiler tags please. -SH

• Looking over some of the posts in this thread and I'm going to have to remind everyone to PLEASE use spoiler tags. There's some very sensitive information listed right out in the open here, and we don't want to go around ruining the show for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Looking over some of the posts in this thread and I'm going to have to remind everyone to PLEASE use spoiler tags. There's some very sensitive information listed right out in the open here, and we don't want to go around ruining the show for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Thanks for that!

• Yeah, spoiler tagging is good. It would be better with hilight-spoilers as opposed to the type where you have to make the spoiler a separate paragraph basically, but that's just me being used to TVTropes ^_^;;

Anyway, there's more to the value of a work than how shocking the twists are. There's some real character depth in this thing, and that's what makes it good, not the twists or battles.

• @Fiammetta:

There are times when someone fully understands a show (or understands it as much as they want to) and their criticism makes sense. And there are times when criticism is really shallow. That doesn't make it "not okay" to dislike the show. That doesn't mean anyone is obligated to watch it again. It doesn't mean anyone's not smart enough or anything. It just means that that criticism is shallow. There's nothing wrong with saying "I think that criticism is really shallow."
    And I do think that that criticism is rather shallow, actually.

! "We knew from the first episode that Lelouch would be dying" And how does that take away from the experience? From the story, and the characters? If anything, for me at least, it sort of adds meaning - we know he feels there's no place for him in the peaceful world he wants to create. It adds to his character development and raises interesting questions - would he have believed that something other than the Zero Requiem plan would have worked, if he didn't believe he needed to die? etc.

"There were so many coincidences that made Lelouch's plans work" a) not really, and definitely not anymore than when "coincidence" got in the way of his plans.
    b) … that's actually an interesting point, because... define "coincidence". Why are coincidences always a bad thing? What is a "coincidence" really, other than "something he didn't plan for that has an effect on the outcome"? You have a character who knows exactly how to separate the good from bad information out of everything he can get his hands on. What better way to challenge him than to give him something he couldn't have predicted? (e.g. Mao reading minds - the exact antithesis of his strength).
    For an example where a coincidence helped Lelouch's plan -

! in episode 8, when Euphie was among the hostages in the hotel, and he could tell that this was the case because otherwise, Cornelia would just sacrifice the hostages. i) It reinforces to the viewer how much of a connection he had with his family before he left Britannia, and his connection with Euphie and Cornelia in particular, which is necessary setup for how he interacts with them later. ii) From the point of view of the other characters, it is unexpected for Cornelia to just let Zero go into the building. How they react to this, and what opinions they form of Zero, become significant. I don't see how this takes away from the complexity and interest levels of the story, rather than adding to it. So even though it helped him, it still isn't a problematic or cheap/lazy coincidence.

… I love this show because it has enough in it that you can even ask these types of questions and find answers, which is rare.

.... also, just double checking, you do realize that the Euphie thing was unintentional, and that he was really upset about that happening, right? I'm not trying to insult you, but I don't know you, and I have seen people who think he did that intentionally, so I just wanted to make sure...

Oh, I really don't mean to criticize the series, I was more just addressing the comments that were being made above criticizing people for not liking the show. Just addressing points people have made to me about it.

And yes, I do know the Euphie thing was a complete accident, I don't really know how it could be taken any other possible way?

I never said any of that hampered my enjoyment of the show and I should have specified when I posted that it was things I have had mentioned from other people who didn't like it. I see now I worded it all quite poorly. I apologize if I insulted you as well, it's one of my personal favorites too and I certainly didn't mean to undermine what a good show it is. Kudos to the very good post though, a very well thought out response :)

P.S. Apologies for the spoilers, completely slipped my mind to hide those. I edited the post.

• . . . you'd be surprised at some of the things that should be quite obvious that some people get completely wrong.

!
    That he did that to Euphie intentionally.
    That he actually ordered Rolo to kill Shirley, and just used his fake grief as an excuse to kill the Geass researchers (excuse to whom? To the audience?)
    That the series was supposed to be about his Oedipus complex and lost track of itself/was censored in the second season.
    That Suzaku was supposed to have died in the finale of season 1, but that was "censored", too.

Basically, anything the audience doesn't get beaten over the head with, someone, somewhere has thought. You might want to not click that spoiler even if you've seen the series, save yourself some brain cells.

(To be honest, I'd include some rather mainstream opinions on there, like the way people hate Suzaku so much, or think the student council group was pointless and should have been killed off in the beginning (including Nunnally. Yeah.))

Anyway, happier thoughts.

Yes, you can eat it.