The User Profile Page Needs Massive UI Update

• I have been doing some research on some members profile pages and realize that like, nobody (even Funi Staff) looks at profiles (as indicated by "Recent Visitors" statistic) . Maybe as well, nobody makes use of the "Friend" feature. Even PMs for that matter.

In order to make this a more "social" environment, the profile UI and other UI needs to be changed. I have been told that the website will get a new UI; alas I am not certain if the more social aspects will get the needed attention. How? IDK that is a tall order. In either case, the desired outcome would be likewise one that people engage with each other directly. One that makes it easy to make friends here.

This is all wishful thinking of course; nonetheless after researching this issue in great lengths, it is one of the areas of this site that is vacant at the moment it is so…

EDIT: There are some features that should be considered; as I will update this as I can think of more. I do apologize if the posts are hastily written and incomplete, as they are.

1. Anime Conventions. This is a core element of interactive nature of Otaku but yet the ability to organize any sort of "meeting" via this UI is difficult. For instance, if Funi had a special event somewhere that encouraged everyone to show up, a way to make this easier via the profile page (a "signup"; news of events more visible) be best.

2. Profile Integration with other Social Media (Facebook; Twitter). Although I do find the concept vile; I do understand its usefulness, especially in getting casuals to interact with hard-core fans.

3. Revised PM system that isn't so Clunky. This one goes without saying.

4. The Ability to Easily Highlight FuniShop items. Right now the Funimation.com shop, especially for merchandise, is a nightmare to search. Not only does the shop need updating, but if users can make it more easy to "promote" some items it would make it easier to figure out what is worth buying.

5. Ability to Comment on Profile Page. This is usually an overlooked feature by some… nonetheless it allows people to start a conversation on a profile page, which in case of FuniStaff profile, can be quite useful.

6. Adding a User's Query to the Available Public Profile Options. I thought of this being useful, especially if you want to know what to watch, and want to see what others are watching. Also, another good way of broadcasting to others "what you are watching at the time" without having to post on forums, or otherwise.

• So first off, profiles as we know them are going away on the new site. You'll only have Account. However, because you CAN still get to vBulletin's user profile, you'll still have something, (for now anyway).

@thegrandalliance:

1. Anime Conventions. This is a core element of interactive nature of Otaku but yet the ability to organize any sort of "meeting" via this UI is difficult. For instance, if Funi had a special event somewhere that encouraged everyone to show up, a way to make this easier via the profile page (a "signup"; news of events more visible) be best.

Hmm.. we might be able to make use of vBulletin's events functionality.

@thegrandalliance:

2. Profile Integration with other Social Media (Facebook; Twitter). Although I do find the concept vile; I do understand its usefulness, especially in getting casuals to interact with hard-core fans.

I might be able to add something. Since Profile will exist on the new forum (for a little while at least), there may be a plugin for it on vbulletin.org.

@thegrandalliance:

3. Revised PM system that isn't so Clunky. This one goes without saying.

The current system is pure vBulletin. Private messages are being removed entirely on the new site unless enough users say they want them. I have been told that there will be a different system put in place, but l'm not sure what that will be.

@thegrandalliance:

4. The Ability to Easily Highlight FuniShop items. Right now the Funimation.com shop, especially for merchandise, is a nightmare to search. Not only does the shop need updating, but if users can make it more easy to "promote" some items it would make it easier to figure out what is worth buying.

The Shop will be getting a huge overhaul. We will be moving off of Netsuite. How would users "promote" shop items? By reviewing and rating?

@thegrandalliance:

5. Ability to Comment on Profile Page. This is usually an overlooked feature by some… nonetheless it allows people to start a conversation on a profile page, which in case of FuniStaff profile, can be quite useful.

This is called "Visitor Messages" on vBulletin. It happens to be turned on in the new site forum, so I could keep that turned on.

@thegrandalliance:

6. Adding a User's Query to the Available Public Profile Options. I thought of this being useful, especially if you want to know what to watch, and want to see what others are watching. Also, another good way of broadcasting to others "what you are watching at the time" without having to post on forums, or otherwise.

We could look into this, but it would be post launch.

• @Sophie:

So first off, profiles as we know them are going away on the new site. You'll only have Account. However, because you CAN still get to vBulletin's user profile, you'll still have something, (for now anyway).

Well, okay I will admit I did jump the gun a bit with this post of mine, given how the new website will mess everything up. I suppose I will wait and see until what happens and comment further then. In either case, some effort should be taken to encourage interaction at least; if that is the desire of Funimation of course.