Do you preorder anime dvd/blurays?

• I was wondering if most people preorder the dvd and blurays ahead of time or wait until they are released to purchase them? Do any of you have a preference either way? I am just curious.

• I preorder, I like preordering from Funimation because I get the dvd/blu-ray before its officially released, like today I got my Date a Live 2 copy 3 days before its release.

Sentai does their stuff through Amazon so I just get release day delivery.

In a nutshell: If I like the series enough, I will preorder it.

• I usually pre-order if it's a series I'm going to buy since I like to go for the collector's edition(s) which may (or probably not) sell out. I currently have 10 pre-orders open right now actually. ^_^

!
    ! * One Punch Man 4-5

• Persona 3 The Movie 4 Winter of Rebirth Collector's Edition (Import)
    • Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD
    • Seraph of the End Vampire Reign Season 1 Part 1 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD
    • Akame ga Kill Collection 2 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD + CD
    • When They Cry Kai (Season 2) Blu-ray
    • Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3 (Import)
    • Black Butler Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD
    • ALDNOAH.ZERO Set 4 Limited Edition Blu-ray
    • Code Geass: Akito the Exiled Vol. 5

!

• @darthrutsula:

I preorder, I like preordering from Funimation because I get the dvd/blu-ray before its officially released, like today I got my Date a Live 2 copy 3 days before its release.

Sentai does their stuff through Amazon so I just get release day delivery.

In a nutshell: If I like the series enough, I will preorder it.

That's pretty cool. Nice incentive to preorder. I was thinking of preordering the new Psycho-Pass movie so I'll probably do that now.

How does release day delivery work on Amazon? Yeah I think that makes a lot of sense. I think I'll start doing that more often.

@CostlyAxis:

I usually pre-order if it's a series I'm going to buy since I like to go for the collector's edition(s) which may (or probably not) sell out. I currently have 10 pre-orders open right now actually. ^_^

!
    ! * One Punch Man 4-5

• Persona 3 The Movie 4 Winter of Rebirth Collector's Edition (Import)
    • Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD
    • Seraph of the End Vampire Reign Season 1 Part 1 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD
    • Akame ga Kill Collection 2 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD + CD
    • When They Cry Kai (Season 2) Blu-ray
    • Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3 (Import)
    • Black Butler Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD
    • ALDNOAH.ZERO Set 4 Limited Edition Blu-ray
    • Code Geass: Akito the Exiled Vol. 5

!

Wow that is a lot on preorder lol but I can understand why you'd want to avoid that problem. All those shows sound really good. I actually just ordered the first season of When They Cry. I don't know much about it but people say it's really good.

I'm curious, where do you get your imported dvds?

• When they say release day delivery they mean that it will come to your house in the mail the day it is released, at that point it comes down to when your mail guy comes and convenience. Like if I didn't get 20% off because of amazon prime I would've just went to my walmart to buy pokken tournament using my employee discount (10%) and get it faster than the mail coming to me.

Imported dvds are simple to get really, it depends on how much you're willing to spend on them.

• @nubguy:

Wow that is a lot on preorder lol but I can understand why you'd want to avoid that problem. All those shows sound really good. I actually just ordered the first season of When They Cry. I don't know much about it but people say it's really good.

I'm curious, where do you get your imported dvds?

When They Cry is a classic in my book, but it's definitely not aging well in terms of looks.

Some of those imports are through RightStuf (Persona and Gundam), but the others I've been going through cdjapan for. I only do those when it's something I really want (like One Punch Man) and it has subtitles because it's definitely not cheap.

@darthrutsula:

When they say release day delivery they mean that it will come to your house in the mail the day it is released, at that point it comes down to when your mail guy comes and convenience.

In my experience, ordering from Amazon actually results in me getting the product faster than any other service, including FUNimation themselves for their own products on pre-orders. I almost always receive my pre-orders days before the official release (in a few instances, a month before). However, I usually go with RightStuf because it's cheaper overall and getting the item within 4 days of release isn't that big of a deal to me for anime (video games are another story).

• Yep. Guarantees I'll get it. And if you do want it early, go with RightStuf. They always ship about a month early, sometimes sooner. I think the earliest I've ever received a preorder from RightStuf was 2 months which was Deadman Wonderland. Plus RightStuf is guaranteed legitimacy, unlike Amazon, though they can't completely control that when they're just the middle man in some cases, and there's never any problems through RightStuf. They're just the best choice hands-down.

• Well… first of all it depends on how long before its released... if its going to be some 6 months in the future I'll probably wait.

If its only about 2-3 months I might just pre-order IF I really really like that specific anime. This has more to do with me specifically and the fact I've had to move around a lot over the last couple years. Generally I ONLY preorder when its an anime I really like... and then generally I'll buy collectors edition.

• @ForlornBeliever:

Plus RightStuf is guaranteed legitimacy, unlike Amazon, though they can't completely control that when they're just the middle man in some cases, and there's never any problems through RightStuf. They're just the best choice hands-down.

Well, that depends. If you buy directly from Amazon.com (as the seller) you will have no problems; as you can complain about the weather not being sunny enough and they will give you refund. Alas, if you buy from a "Marketplace" seller, then yes you will have problems.

Personally, I used to use AnimeNation.com b4 they went bankrupt or whatever. Even had them ship me USA region ANime to my Tokyo Apartment one time… which is ironic I admit. The reason I liked em was they were good at special-ordering things that wasn't on the site, as long as you can provide a like to it. Was most epic nonetheless.

I only used RightStuff I think a few times... and don't have much of an opinion about them at present nonetheless.

• I use RightStuf all the time, and the stuff usually comes a month sooner for the most part. I generally preorder when they have sales on certain companies, like Funimation or Sentai, then group the titles with the closest preorder dates (as they usually like to ship most or the entire order of they can) into the free shipping range. So instead of individual, it is 2 or 3 titles, but good deals and early shipping.

If I do not do that, I generally wait a month or two and see the sales on Amazon, as they tend to have some good sales on the now "older" titles at that point.

• Speaking of which.. How much time is there between Funimation licensing a show, and then releasing it on home media?

• Yes, if it is a show that I really liked and want to own. RightStuf is my go-to for pre-orders because of their fair prices, excellent customer service, and the fact that they ship early. It also helps that I live close enough to them to get speedy delivery even with the free economy shipping.

Those first few months that a show is available are important to determining its success/failure, so if it's a show that I love then pre-ordering the initial release is the best way to show support.

@Horizon_:

Speaking of which.. How much time is there between Funimation licensing a show, and then releasing it on home media?

For simulcasts, 12-16 months after the JP airing is the general rule of thumb. For anything else, it can vary greatly depending on the specific circumstances surrounding each title.

• I never pre-ordered anything.

• I'm going to sound like an old curmudgeon, but not really anymore.

There hasn't been anything I found to be worth pre-ordering in a few years, except for three things… one of which I still haven't bought, because Sentai put it on separate BD and DVD and I don't know which one to get. That was Kamigami no Asobi, which deserves to be a thousand times more popular than it is, and it deserves to have a magnificent, sparkly LE and a fantastic dub. Instead, since people are crude and sad and don't like it, it got none of that, just a barebones sub-only release, and... tbh, it's easier just to watch it on Crunchyroll (it's in my perma-queue). And if Crunchy takes it down, the DVDs will still be around somewhere. (The other only-thing-worth-buying-in-the-past-4-years is... well, I can understand why it's unpopular, but I bought the barebones, sub-only, almost -Japanese-priced Aniplex blurays because I love it that much).

Those and K. The only good thing to actually get a dub in years (the first season, at least). And it's probably actually the best dub I've ever heard. That got a sparkly box. Now if only Viz would hurry up with the movie and second season. (If you haven't seen K watch it, it's amazing.)

None of these were from FUNimation, sorry to say. And I'll probably stream the Black Butler: Book of Circus dub when it comes out (it's pretty guaranteed on Netflix, right?), but I don't know if I'll buy it. That used to be my favorite series, and Book of Circus is a really excellent piece of work... but...

I will preorder Code Geass in every edition, and Akito in every edition. Same with the rest of K. I preordered the Japanese blurays of Akito 3-5. There hasn't been anything else but these that I'd even consider buying, no matter how low the price gets.