Fullmetal Alchemist: Premium Collection OVA Rights Expiring?

• While updating my anime collection spreadsheet after I got the rest of FMA I needed (I check the Rightstuf listing against ANN's to verify if ANN's info is correct on release dates and MSRP), I noticed that Rightstuf now lists the Fullmetal Alchemist: Premium Collection OVA DVD as OOP. I know you've already announced Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and its OVA's are expiring, as well as Conqueror of Shamballa on March 31st, but are your rights to the original FMA OVA's already expiring, or have they already expired, and you forgot to announce it for us?

I now have the Premium Collection OVA, so it's not a big deal to me, but I would like to know if your rights expired for others that have yet to get their hands on this release.

• Athough I am not entirely certain, the rights to everything FMA and some other studio-related projects are being taken away from Funimation by its Japanese Overlords, and being put into a Japanese-funded/controlled company. If it isn't gone yet, it soon will be. Assume the worst and take defensive measures to be so.

• It's a fact that Aniplex is no longer allowing licensing renewals (it's one reason I made this list), I knew that. Just look at how even Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is going to expire (and will likely stay OOP after being passed on by AoA because Aniplex hates money*). I knew this was going to expire this year, hence why I didn't wait to pick it up when I got more funds, but if it's already expired, I'm surprised. I was expecting it to go in July when the original FMA is set to expire according to Hulu.

*Do not count on AoA to rescue any of these shows no matter how successful they were.
    http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?43312-ANNCast-Aniplex-of-America&p=305320&viewfull=1#post305320

Their only license-rescues: Rurouni Kenshin OVA's and movie (via only imports), Gurren Lagann (due to the upcoming Blu-ray Box), and Read or Die (due to the recent Blu-ray Box, they never grabbed DVD's, those have been OOP since Geneon went under in late 2007, rather ironic given Henry Goto who runs AoA ran Geneon, so he's VERY familiar with the show). And out of those, only Gurren Lagann is still available (though you can import the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's from Amazon Japan, the movie however is OOP even in Japan now).

• Its the Titanic: We all know how its gonna end, "Waiting for an absolution that never seem to came…"

Bottom Line: Buy what you need and can now while it is still afloat. Then make sure to get on a lifeboat, or make your own (cut up some wood furniture with a fireaxe) and get the hell out of there.

If you want an official comment and not some MASTER TROLL to flood you like myself, I am afraid you probably waiting too late. Or more so, bad news is coming so not much to hope for. I wouldn't worry about it too much... alas to be fair I am someone differential on these series in terms of my "favorability" as it were.

I will admit that Lust is nice though. Alas in either case, "My Heart Will Go On" it is so...

• I've already got all of FMA, I'm just wanting official confirmation on whether or not this expired already without an announcement from FUNimation now that they've FINALLY decided (really, all R1 companies should be doing it) to announce when rights are going to expire.

• @BigOnAnime:

I've already got all of FMA, I'm just wanting official confirmation on whether or not this expired already without an announcement from FUNimation now that they've FINALLY decided (really, all R1 companies should be doing it) to announce when rights are going to expire.

Well, I could be mistaken, alas I assumed their "omnibus" message they posted a few months ago was a /declarewar "FMA" that suggested everything at some point was gonna go. Given this series has a bunch of derivative products it is easy to see how some could have slipped through the cracks.

ALas, to another point you had: R1 companies (if you mean Japan), is true for Blu-Ray but alas not DVD (which is R2). Furthermore, Funimation provides localization, regional marketing/sales, and mostly importantly so dub services that Japanese companies don't currently or otherwise cannot have. Finally, the marketplace benefit of having FUNimation exist still vs a "race to the bottom" of Japanese companies scrambling for controlling USA distribution is to ensure VA talent pool. If USA anime becomes like Japan, then VA's will get "landlocked" into certain production studios as they are in Japan, and eventually likewise the quality of VA will massively suffer. Funimation has a very large VA talent pool that cannot be matched currently by anyone… and if Japanese companies "all try to do the same thing" you will see that implode.

ANd of course, I have noticed that lot of these Japanese-American subsidiaries have serious ego problems. Customer service or otherwise... a back seat if you will. Although, I don't want to sound like a FuniFanboy, alas I am able to forsee "what could happen" in a "world without Funi" or otherwise American-operated licensing company; and it isn't preety.

Alas, you may be able to have some sort of middle ground; Funimation exists only for dubbing purposes, distribution handled elsewhere. Although this may resolve some problems, limited access or otherwise controlled access to product streaming or otherwise, and fight for marketshare will push things down. Japanese companies have much lower tolerance then America when it comes to "viewership quotas" (just check out all the single 12-episode discontinued anime series out there) and you will have problems. Americans are far more patient then Japan is and I worry that a takeover of all aspects will just bring the preexisting conditions of Japan to America in time.

Of course, this may be inevitable; as Japanese population falls off a cliff, they will be forced to expand internationally for revenue. To an extent this has already begun. Whether this ends up being good thing or a complete disaster, alas Only Time Shall Tell...

• @BigOnAnime:

but are your rights to the original FMA OVA's already expiring, or have they already expired, and you forgot to announce it for us?

It's possible they may not be expiring but are so old that no one's bothering to reprint them. That's speculation since I do not know exactly how old they are. I think it's safe to say, yes they are or will be and Funimation didn't bother telling everyone or figured people would assume it.