New member looking for friends

• Hello I'm a new member to Funimation, and I am looking for some friends.

I have seen Funimation before through watching anime on other sites similar to Netflix. I always thought they were the ones to produce the shows or license them to other networks, but I never knew they had their own streaming service! Once I found out about this I jumped on board right away.

A little About me:

I am fairly new to anime, and I am loving it. I discovered anime when I was trying to find shows that had action, drama and character development.

My personal preference of anime is Action Drama. My favorite types of anime are the types that have a serious tone and story to it. I'm not a real big fan of comedy shows, although I am fine with occasional jokes here and there.

Action, Deep story, Deep drama, good character and story development make a good anime for me. :)

• Taking a trip to Japan would help understanding as well… lots of stuff in ANime doesn't make sense till you see it yourself it is so...

• @thegrandalliance:

Taking a trip to Japan would help understanding as well… lots of stuff in ANime doesn't make sense till you see it yourself it is so...

Speaking of your trip to Japan, is that going to affect your access to Funimation streaming and forums?

@SeriousAnime:

I am fairly new to anime, and I am loving it. I discovered anime when I was trying to find shows that had action, drama and character development.

My personal preference of anime is Action Drama. My favorite types of anime are the types that have a serious tone and story to it. I'm not a real big fan of comedy shows, although I am fine with occasional jokes here and there.

Action, Deep story, Deep drama, good character and story development make a good anime for me. :)

Hey how is it going? Welcome to the forums! Some cool action anime with deep stories include Attack on Titan, Jormungand, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Noragami, Psycho-Pass, Heavy Object, and Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign.

• @nubguy:

Speaking of your trip to Japan, is that going to affect your access to Funimation streaming and forums?

The Forum, technically no; however no streaming access without US/Canada IP address, alas this be an expeditionary mission this time… no computers coming with this one: Light travel only. Its only gonna be a month at max so no need to worry. Plus, instead of simulcasts... can watch the real thing:)

Of course I am gonna have bigger fish to fry then such matters. Bouncing around on Shinkansen (Bullet Trains) + finding hotels in new places all the time is much harder then you may think, especially for Japanese-Challenged. Tokyo is easy, but the secondary cities gets a while new lvl of difficulty it is so...

Once I get more concrete details I am sure to spam the forums eventually. Best time to buy airfare, at least back in the day (whether it is still true now IDK), is during May when the Spring>Summer sale (Buy in Spring for a Summer Trip; United, and some others used to partake) when prices drop 30-40% magically: A ticket that would usually go for $1200-$1400 drops to $900 for instance.

Given "record" low fuel prices, in theory it should be the same, alas these days IDK with all of the evil cutthroat pricing alas we gonna use the same strategy it is so. Usually International carries will cut prices below American ones and you get good price to Japan, at least as long as you live on West Coast it is so...

• @nubguy:

Hey how is it going? Welcome to the forums! Some cool action anime with deep stories include Attack on Titan, Jormungand, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Noragami, Psycho-Pass, Heavy Object, and Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign.

Thank you, and thank you for the suggestions!

@thegrandalliance:

The Forum, technically no; however no streaming access without US/Canada IP address, alas this be an expeditionary mission this time… no computers coming with this one: Light travel only. Its only gonna be a month at max so no need to worry. Plus, instead of simulcasts... can watch the real thing:)

Of course I am gonna have bigger fish to fry then such matters. Bouncing around on Shinkansen (Bullet Trains) + finding hotels in new places all the time is much harder then you may think, especially for Japanese-Challenged. Tokyo is easy, but the secondary cities gets a while new lvl of difficulty it is so...

Once I get more concrete details I am sure to spam the forums eventually. Best time to buy airfare, at least back in the day (whether it is still true now IDK), is during May when the Spring>Summer sale (Buy in Spring for a Summer Trip; United, and some others used to partake) when prices drop 30-40% magically: A ticket that would usually go for $1200-$1400 drops to $900 for instance.

Given "record" low fuel prices, in theory it should be the same, alas these days IDK with all of the evil cutthroat pricing alas we gonna use the same strategy it is so. Usually International carries will cut prices below American ones and you get good price to Japan, at least as long as you live on West Coast it is so...

Wow! You will be able to experience the Japanese culture and be able to watch live anime. Sounds like it will be an amazing trip, I wish you a safe journey.

• Welcome to the forums! Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. :)

By the way, I'm going move this over to the "Introductions" forum, where it'll get you more traffic. ~_^

• @SpacemanHardy:

Welcome to the forums! Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. :)

By the way, I'm going move this over to the "Introductions" forum, where it'll get you more traffic. ~_^

Thank you for moving the thread, I did not see this section :)

• welcome to the forums. Enjoy posting with us.

• @thegrandalliance:

Oh okay cool, that's not so bad. Quite a bit shorter than your last trip, GrandAlliance. Although I am shocked you aren't bringing a computer of some sort. I can't even imagine lol Yeah that is definitely going to be really cool :) I hope you decide to make some posts about your travels in Japan. I bet others, like me, would enjoy hearing about your adventures lol I'm guessing most of the members haven't been to Japan, so it would be pretty awesome to hear about what it's like. Just a thought.

Bullet Trains sound so cool! They have been promising one in California where I live for forever. Is it just as smooth as you might imagine? What makes getting around so difficult? And why are the secondary cities more complicated than Tokyo?

Yes, I think that would be a good idea. I for one am definitely interested in hearing about all the different aspects of the trip. Don't forget to keep an eye out for some of the dagashi you recognize. lol Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun. I am sure you are excited. Anything you are looking forward to the most?

You seem like you know how the system works pretty well. That's a smart way to get a flight.

Also, as a note for everyone else who may want to go to Japan, thegrandalliance posted this on another topic:
    @thegrandalliance:

BTW if anyone is interesting in going to Japan… it is rather easy. Can you go to the Airport and get on an Airplane? Easy as pie. The hard part is staying longer then 3 months. And make sure you are well funded $$$... key is to have lots of it gold. Staying at apartment service knocks price way down, else expect burn rate of at least 3K/month+airfare for reasonably moderate lifestyle conditions.

Lastly... plan and focus on getting to a hotel ASAP once you get there... your brain explodes once you get to Tokyo, especially the first time. Even if your perfectly fluent your head always explodes for some reason first day after getting of the flight and all the nonsense thereafter. Expect to sleep all day the next day, then do stuff the 3rd day.

Actually I was planning to go back this summer for first time in years... currently working on funding at moment. As I stated before... perhaps I will do more "Dagashi" research in specific this time nonetheless.

• @SeriousAnime:

Wow! You will be able to experience the Japanese culture and be able to watch live anime. Sounds like it will be an amazing trip, I wish you a safe journey.

Ah, I should clarify because I forgot you probably haven't seen my trolling otherwise alas, I have lived in Japan for over 9 months over many 5 fragmented stays. This will be my 6th time going. Other then the first time I went (was in a high school tour group; not fun), I never actually left Kanto region (Tokyo area) so this time if/when I go back I will make the full rounds once again.

@nubguy:

Oh okay cool, that's not so bad. Quite a bit shorter than your last trip, GrandAlliance. Although I am shocked you aren't bringing a computer of some sort. I can't even imagine lol Yeah that is definitely going to be really cool :) I hope you decide to make some posts about your travels in Japan. I bet others, like me, would enjoy hearing about your adventures lol I'm guessing most of the members haven't been to Japan, so it would be pretty awesome to hear about what it's like. Just a thought.

Yea I guess I could consider such… don't' want to sound too showy though. However it is important to point out to everyone here, that if you like anime or Japanese-based video games, you must go to Japan at least once in your life: It is like Muslims/Hodge almost. All the stuff you see watch in ANime will make 100000000000000000000x more sense once you see it.

Good example is how rental/apartment living is in Japan. That is, either how hard it is to get a place ("The Devil is a Part Timer"; "Sekirei") vs USA, or of course the classic "the crazy landlord/lady" you see in some series: One that reminds me most is that vile "Shin-Chan".

They do scream at you. Its the truth. I remember when I was staying here in Adichiku Odai, the landlady here was screaming about everything; whereas it be whether you put the trash out too early, or where you put it, or always trying to blame you for dmg to the place that was there b4 you moved in. They are crazy. And unless you use the service like I provided which is foreigner-exclusive, Multilanguage, and very good and I advise everyone to do so; good luck getting a "guarantor" in Japan.

That is someone (Japanese) who will in effect, go to Jail if you break the law and you run away/don't pay. Of course, thanks to depopulation of Japan, the amount of real estate only goes up and so restrictions are slowly easing. BTW if you're thinking AIRBNB which is an option, it is technically illegal (and potentially deportable offense) if you stay there (AIRBNB has not been officially legalized in Japan due to "hotel" and other laws, as in USA).

BTW I recently checked for it… looks like Adachi isn't there anymore: Actually they seem to have less places then before. Maybe the landlady finally got fed up there. Also, check out this place. I spent most of me time in Japan in Room 202… a very well suited room.

Bullet Trains sound so cool! They have been promising one in California where I live for forever. Is it just as smooth as you might imagine?

LoL, the ones planned for CA are a joke. Not only are they gonna go like 1/2 the speed (hardly bullet), but it is way over budget, and goes nowhere. But yes Japanese ones are smooth (or they would derail) of course.

What makes getting around so difficult? And why are the secondary cities more complicated than Tokyo?

Because the lvl of English is way the hell down. Even Chiba City (what "Ah! My Goddess" is supposed to be based upon -fact there is no mountains/hills like in the series) which is next to Tokyo, and technically the prefecture of the Airport you land at (Narita), is limited. If you go way the hell out there to even smaller cities, you best know some Japanese. Other then train stations which are required by law to have English, you are gonna be in full immersion. If you are trying to find a place and don't know how to "match-up" the Kanji you are gonna be lost real fast. I did notice that Google maps are getting better and that may save you… but navigation is only one problem.

Then there is the matter of talking to people, in Japanese only, at hotels (like to check-in); anything regarding food (unless your a loser like me and live at McDonalds (well I wasn't completely that bad, just at times) all trip), or otherwise. If you are someone who has 0 Japanese skills you are gonna struggle greatly in Japan outside of Tokyo.

Also, when using Shinkansen, you are gonna want the unlimited and foreigner exclusive JR Rail Pass. However it isn't easy and convenient like America. You have to go to a Ticket Office (referred to as "Midori (Green) Office), show your pass, and basically make a reservation for every segment. That's great if your in English-speaking Tokyo... if you are stopping along the way in the "middle of nowhere" and are trying to get a ticket to next destination and have 0 Japanese skills...

As long as you have good navigation skills, and maybe a real GPS (not some stupid phone app), you probably be okay. If you are like many people... let us say "ditsy" by nature... your gonna get lost. Alas it is definitely worth it nonetheless.

Yes, I think that would be a good idea. I for one am definitely interested in hearing about all the different aspects of the trip. Anything you are looking forward to the most?

Yea I do got some IRL issues I have to resolve before I can commit but hopefully it will work out. There of course is one "real" reason for going this time (and a subject of basically most Anime) of course that is all "wishful thinking". IDK what the hell I was doing for 9 months in Japan b4 and not "socializing" basically at all.

Me /EPICFAIL of course. Hopefully it will be different this time: The reason I am timing this mission during the "Midsummers Festival" or "Bon" (a Buddhist tradition) around Aug 15 or so as lots of celebration and cool festivals occur at this time. Tokyo definitely horribly boring place if you care about cultural stuff that is for sure.

Alas I am sure to /spam the forums once I have concrete details, I imagine in May, it will be so.

• @thegrandalliance:

Ah, I should clarify because I forgot you probably haven't seen my trolling otherwise alas, I have lived in Japan for over 9 months over many 5 fragmented stays. This will be my 6th time going. Other then the first time I went (was in a high school tour group; not fun), I never actually left Kanto region (Tokyo area) so this time if/when I go back I will make the full rounds once again.

Very cool! That is quite a few times.

@SeriousAnime:

Thank you, and thank you for the suggestions!

You're welcome, let me know if you end up liking any of the shows I suggested!

• This post is deleted!

• BTW Nub, read my post… I edited it with the full details. I see you jumped ahead a bit too soon but I posted a ton of stuff nonetheless...

• @thegrandalliance:

Yea I guess I could consider such… don't' want to sound too showy though. However it is important to point out to everyone here, that if you like anime or Japanese-based video games, you must go to Japan at least once in your life: It is like Muslims/Hodge almost. All the stuff you see watch in ANime will make 100000000000000000000x more sense once you see it.

Good example is how rental/apartment living is in Japan. That is, either how hard it is to get a place ("The Devil is a Part Timer"; "Sekirei") vs USA, or of course the classic "the crazy landlord/lady" you see in some series: One that reminds me most is that vile "Shin-Chan".

They do scream at you. Its the truth. I remember when I was staying here in Adichiku Odai, the landlady here was screaming about everything; whereas it be whether you put the trash out too early, or where you put it, or always trying to blame you for dmg to the place that was there b4 you moved in. They are crazy. And unless you use the service like I provided which is foreigner-exclusive, Multilanguage, and very good and I advise everyone to do so; good luck getting a "guarantor" in Japan.

That is someone (Japanese) who will in effect, go to Jail if you break the law and you run away/don't pay. Of course, thanks to depopulation of Japan, the amount of real estate only goes up and so restrictions are slowly easing. BTW if you're thinking AIRBNB which is an option, it is technically illegal (and potentially deportable offense) if you stay there (AIRBNB has not been officially legalized in Japan due to "hotel" and other laws, as in USA).

BTW I recently checked for it… looks like Adachi isn't there anymore: Actually they seem to have less places then before. Maybe the landlady finally got fed up there. Also, check out this place. I spent most of me time in Japan in Room 202… a very well suited room.

LoL, the ones planned for CA are a joke. Not only are they gonna go like 1/2 the speed (hardly bullet), but it is way over budget, and goes nowhere. But yes Japanese ones are smooth (or they would derail) of course.

Because the lvl of English is way the hell down. Even Chiba City (what "Ah! My Goddess" is supposed to be based upon -fact there is no mountains/hills like in the series) which is next to Tokyo, and technically the prefecture of the Airport you land at (Narita), is limited. If you go way the hell out there to even smaller cities, you best know some Japanese. Other then train stations which are required by law to have English, you are gonna be in full immersion. If you are trying to find a place and don't know how to "match-up" the Kanji you are gonna be lost real fast. I did notice that Google maps are getting better and that may save you... but navigation is only one problem.

Then there is the matter of talking to people, in Japanese only, at hotels (like to check-in); anything regarding food (unless your a loser like me and live at McDonalds (well I wasn't completely that bad, just at times) all trip), or otherwise. If you are someone who has 0 Japanese skills you are gonna struggle greatly in Japan outside of Tokyo.

Also, when using Shinkansen, you are gonna want the unlimited and foreigner exclusive JR Rail Pass. However it isn't easy and convenient like America. You have to go to a Ticket Office (referred to as "Midori (Green) Office), show your pass, and basically make a reservation for every segment. That's great if your in English-speaking Tokyo... if you are stopping along the way in the "middle of nowhere" and are trying to get a ticket to next destination and have 0 Japanese skills...

As long as you have good navigation skills, and maybe a real GPS (not some stupid phone app), you probably be okay. If you are like many people... let us say "ditsy" by nature... your gonna get lost. Alas it is definitely worth it nonetheless.

Yea I do got some IRL issues I have to resolve before I can commit but hopefully it will work out. There of course is one "real" reason for going this time (and a subject of basically most Anime) of course that is all "wishful thinking". IDK what the hell I was doing for 9 months in Japan b4 and not "socializing" basically at all.

Me /EPICFAIL of course. Hopefully it will be different this time: The reason I am timing this mission during the "Midsummers Festival" or "Bon" (a Buddhist tradition) around Aug 15 or so as lots of celebration and cool festivals occur at this time. Tokyo definitely horribly boring place if you care about cultural stuff that is for sure.

Alas I am sure to /spam the forums once I have concrete details, I imagine in May, it will be so.

Hey thegrandalliance, sorry it took so long to reply. I just started a new job last week and I have to get up at 4:30 in the morning lol It's been a busy week.

I don't think it would be showy. You could just post a few things here or there. I definitely want to make it to Japan one day. Although, it sounds like finding a place to stay is hectic. Idk about dealing with crazy land ladies lol What kind of service were you using?

Seeing all of the anime related stuff would be awesome. What are the anime stores like? Also, do you watch stuff on your tv or do you stream stuff?

As for the "bullet train" in CA, I am not surprised it's a sham. Sounds like an amazing ride. Hard to believe something so fast can be so smooth. MagLev technology is awesome.

Wow, I had no idea. It sounds like going outside of Tokyo is a bad idea lol did you ever get lost? Getting around in the country sounds like a nightmare. I would get stuck somewhere lol That stark contrast between city and country is pretty interesting.

Haha yeah seriously, that's a missed opportunity right there. You definitely should do more of that. I bet you could have a lot of fun. What was your favorite place that you went in Japan?

Good, I am sure we will all be curious as to what you end up doing. I hope it all works out!

On a side note, how did you usually manage your money?

• @nubguy:

Although, it sounds like finding a place to stay is hectic. Idk about dealing with crazy land ladies lol What kind of service were you using?

Well, I was using the Sakura-con service, which is fine. It appears they have changed now, but before they used to have both a selection of properties under their control, and ones they simply provides services for (like Priceline.com or something). The ones that they were a subcontractor were properties you had to deal with Japanese people directly.

Keep in mind this is a common occurrence, especially in certain areas of Tokyo (which Adachi region is "old people land") whereas they don't like young people, but need them to pay for their vacant properties (old people dying off; the need new tenants). So its a sorta forced relationship. However if you live in what you could say "more trendy" places, it probably slightly better. ALl I know is that I have seen others experience likewise problems, so simply expect it and don't worry too much.

Seeing all of the anime related stuff would be awesome. What are the anime stores like? Also, do you watch stuff on your tv or do you stream stuff?

The Anime stores; one I know well and is most/largest "SofMap", is classic VideoGame style. They play "happy" music, if you will, non-stop, the store is layed out just like something you would find in a Pokémon game: The environment is designed to get you to spend $$$. Just go to Akihabara district (which is Eastern side of Central Tokyo) and everything will take care of itself, I assure you. Bring lots of $$$(1000USD can fly like away like no tomorrow), and a big suitcase of course.

Wow, I had no idea. It sounds like going outside of Tokyo is a bad idea lol did you ever get lost? Getting around in the country sounds like a nightmare. I would get stuck somewhere lol That stark contrast between city and country is pretty interesting.

Nah, I got expert navigation skills. And of course, although not proficient, can speak/read Japanese (at least non-Kanji for most part) so I can figure things out eventually. The key is to "base around the train station". Never go further away from the station then you know how to get yourself back there. Then everything is fine.

To be fair, the difference between city/rural is not unlike USA of course. Further you get away; the older, more racist they become of course :) But it isn't quite as bad as it used to be supposedly so wouldn't worry about it too much.

What was your favorite place that you went in Japan?

Well, IDK… haven't been everywhere. But seeing Nintendo of Japan (World HQ in Kyoto; the outside at least) was a bit nice, at least b4 me started to seriously hate Nintendo for their incompetence in more recent years.

Best place overall; as far as Otaku is concerned though, is Akihabara District, by far. It is like the "Disneyland of Anime", - the rides. But the amount of merchandise that exists for ANime that you never see in USA, or even at Anime Cons, is legendary.

Hopefully I can provide a better answer next time, I haven't had the chance to check out all of the "cultural" stuff in my past stays... only modern things.

On a side note, how did you usually manage your money?

Well, I am not entirely sure if you mean while in Japan or stateside, but alas at moment it is in "NYSEARCA: UVXY"'; if you search that on Google you will find. In Japan, the best way to go is to get a Traveler's check from a bank, and exchange it for Yen at the Tokyo Airport (as usually best rates that are easy to find are there). For some reason a Traveler's Check gets a better Exchange rate then USD cash.

Of course, carrying around large amounts of money can be dangerous for anyone not prepared for it, so be advised. However, using American Credit Cards in Japan can be a hit-miss, ESPEICALLY outside of Tokyo; even though they use MasterCard/Visa, their network is a Japanese Version thereof, and American Visa/MasterCard may not work in their card system. Always take Cash with you to Japan, especially if you plan to go outside of Tokyo.