PSA: Date A Live II's English Dub is the Broadcast version

• Hello, I was beginning to watch some of the English dub of Date A Live II on the streaming service, but there was a problem.
    I stopped watching not even 30 seconds after the intro, I immediately recognized that the English dub was not with the Home Release version, instead it was the inferior TV Broadcast version.

By the way, I've bought and watched the Japanese blu-ray release of Date A Live II and the movie.

Now for some anime this isn't a problem, but for Date A Live it's a massive problem. Over the 10 episodes of Date A Live II, the Director's Cut have included around 40 minutes of additional content and scenes.

For those who want a more detailed differences between the Broadcast version and the Director's Cut here's a Japanese blog that shows the differences: http://blog.livedoor.jp/sasukepress/archives/cat_134846.html

P.S. Does anyone with Funimation's BD/DVD of Date A Live II can confirm whether or not, it's the Director's Cut version?

P.S.S. If the Streaming is intentionally using the broadcast version, while the Funi's home release verion is the Director's Cut version; then that's fine.
    In fact, Aniplex and Netflix did something similar for Fate/stay night UBW.

• The blu-rays release on the 22nd and my copy is in transit so…. They haven't released yet. They probably just haven't changed it and are waiting for tuesday.

• @darthrutsula:

The blu-rays release on the 22nd and my copy is in transit so…. They haven't released yet. They probably just haven't changed it and are waiting for tuesday.

It wouldn't make much sense to have a broadcast version of the dub that they would replace with the uncut version of the dub a few weeks later, or make two separate versions of the dub to reflect a streaming version and a home release version when they've never done this in the past (unless you're counting broadcast dubs), so I suspect the home release is the broadcast version

…which very well might explain why it took so long to finally release season two in the first place if they were unsuccessful in getting the home video version but wanted to put something out. But who knows! Maybe it's one of those huge mistakes again like with Sankarea and Ben-To, except this time it's with a moderately-anticipated sequel series

At any rate, I probably really shouldn't be jumping to conclusions either way, since we won't really know until someone gets their hands on the physical release

@eztli:

P.S.S. If the Streaming is intentionally using the broadcast version, while the Funi's home release verion is the Director's Cut version; then that's fine.
    In fact, Aniplex and Netflix did something similar for Fate/stay night UBW.

Typically they re-release the streamed subbed version for subscribers with the home video version on the same day the physical release comes out, and right now the schedule reflects that fact. But again, we would have to wait and see until next Tuesday to find out which version they're re-releasing on the site, since they could very well accidentally just re-upload the broadcast version

• Here's my thoughts.

Based on dub episode 13 & 14 and given a link by eztli to Japanese blog with TV to BD comparison:

We don't get director's cut version. Instead, we get a home video masters with no new footage.

• After the whole Sankarea and Ben-To! debacles, I highly doubt Funimation would just "ignore" the existence of the home video masters.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to get the rights to use them and Kadokawa just said "U no can haz."

• Golly if only there was some way that they would tell us these things, like starting an online forum of some sort and keeping their customers informed about these things. We could even have sub forums for their specific shows where we can post about that specific show!

• I don't know the answer to this immediately, but I'm looking into it. :)

• Well I got my copy today so when I finally get the second disc ripped I'll play through episode 9 to see if they've been changed or not.

Follow up: I'm going to say I think so? I went to some specific scenes in the pictures I knew I could get to and all and they look like they are what its supposed to be (director's) but if each episode is supposed to be longer I don't think they are. Each video file (other than the ova) is 23:42 and the ova is 29:57, which totals out to be 267 minutes, not 280 like the box says unless the box is including extra stuff which it says is 5 minutes so there's still 8 not accounted for.

Addendum again: Okay so I went to episode 9 on the site and went to the specific part and I can say with reasonable certainty that at least that particular episode is not the director's cut, basing this off the detail (or lack of) detail on Sandalphon or the walls. Though based on the pics from that link you posted it looks like the most of the edits were from episodes 8 and 9.

• I contacted Support a while ago when I noticed this and made the previous thread they have yet to answer me back

• @darthrutsula:

Addendum again: Okay so I went to episode 9 on the site and went to the specific part and I can say with reasonable certainty that at least that particular episode is not the director's cut, basing this off the detail (or lack of) detail on Sandalphon or the walls. Though based on the pics from that link you posted it looks like the most of the edits were from episodes 8 and 9.

Episode 9 doesn't update to the alleged uncut release on this site until Tuesday, so of course you're going to see the broadcast edits now

• @Riles:

Episode 9 doesn't update to the alleged uncut release on this site until Tuesday, so of course you're going to see the broadcast edits now

But at least we know that we do have the updated versions coming!

• @darthrutsula:

Maybe…but again, we don't know for sure until they release on the site. The first two episodes of the dub came out, and evidently they are the broadcast version, even though they should have been the home release version

• @darthrutsula:

Im gonna say if they Don't have the Uncut episodes on the Home video then there definitely not going to be on the website

• I got My BD today and I watched a few episodes and I can confirm the uncut content isn't there

• @SpacemanHardy:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to get the rights to use them and Kadokawa just said "U no can haz."

Well, I would not be surprise if that's the case. As you said it has happened before in several cases.

@CJ:

I don't know the answer to this immediately, but I'm looking into it.

Thanks for looking into it.

@ darthrutsula and tdog1776

Thanks for the info, well the most easy way to tell whether it's the TV version or the uncut version is by checking the first episode and see if there's a separate opening sequence; If the opening theme is playing after the prologue then it's the uncut version, if the opening is playing in the background, then it's the TV version. But judging on what you guys said it seems to be the latter, unfortunately.

This really sucks to say the least, after all the uncut version is SO much better than the TV version. I kinda don't want to buy it anymore… But at least the "Kurumi Star Festival" OVA is included so I might consider purchasing it when it's cheaper.

Welp, I know what my question will be at the Funimation panel at Sakura-con will be...

P.S. Different stores have different cover pictures for the BD/DVD. One of the have the cover art by Tsunako and another have the Key Visual by the animation staff. Which one is the actual cover art for the BD/DVD?

• @eztli:

P.S. Different stores have different cover pictures for the BD/DVD. One of the have the cover art by Tsunako and another have the Key Visual by the animation staff. Which one is the actual cover art for the BD/DVD?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01995ZHIG/ref=s9_newr_gw_d30_g74_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0NA6KNQ8X0M9RZEKWYPX&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop

This is the splash that is used.

I should also add that the visual edits ARE there but its not the extended episodes, how this managed to happen I have no idea but that's what I've noticed. Still waiting on my ticket to see what happened. Though it looks like it is intentional.

• @darthrutsula:

I should also add that the visual edits ARE there but its not the extended episodes, how this managed to happen I have no idea but that's what I've noticed. Still waiting on my ticket to see what happened. Though it looks like it is intentional.

Same Conclusion, if it is on purpose the Japanese probably wanted more for the Uncut version then Funi was willing to pay or wanted to keep That version for themselves.

if it was an accident and they try to rectify this situation….............. oh Boy here we go again

EDIT: Please don't use the phrase "J**s". It can be considered a racial slur. -SH

• Yeah, I just saw a bit of episode 6 and 10 while it's not the full length , at least the "almighty beams of light" is gone.
    Though I do have to say I like the English voices very much. Miku's voice is quite nice, especially her singing is super nice.

Although I wished they use the proper term of "Astral Dress" rather than "Spirit Armor", but I guess it's understandable since they are using the Japanese pronauciation as the basis for the translation.

• Will someone clarify for me what the "extended episodes" are supposed to be?

The only extended episodes I know of are for the Director's Cut for S1. There isn't such a release for S2 unless these came by default on the BD versions of the episode in their initial Japanese release, but it sounds like the BD versions are what we got because of the edits.

So what are the "extended episodes" for S2?

• @Daverost:

So what are the "extended episodes" for S2?

Just like you mentioned these Extra Scenes are standard on the Japanese release for S2 But the Master copies Funimation used for there release seem to be edited to fit the original TV runtime

for Comparison Id check The DAL Wikia or Check The Fan subbed BD so you know whats missing

• So we're waiting to hear from CJ, I guess.

Though I suspect there's little that can be done at this point.