Stream quality?

• new sub here, does the sites streaming use dvd quality or broadcast quality?
    not sd vs hd but the post-production improvements (DBZ Super is a good example)

• Once the DVD/BD set is ready to be released here Funimation will update the streams with the home video footage. Until then they use the broadcast footage.

• If you want to be able to determine which version exists, the only potential way without too much effort is to check the funimation.com shop… look to see if that season you are watching has been released on DVD. IF not, your likely watching a broadcast.

For the record... "post-production" isn't quite what it used to be, so other then censored content, not much of a problem anymore. Encoding wise, a DVD will always be 19283434x better then ANY streaming service... so if you want max quality you must buy the disk.

• so it has the post tv clean up but not the dvd/bd quality? that's ok i guess. thanks

ima vhs baby, never going through massive video libraries ever again…

• @Major0noob:

so it has the post tv clean up but not the dvd/bd quality? that's ok i guess. thanks

ima vhs baby, never going through massive video libraries ever again…

Meh, VHS is only standard definition… I suppose if you can muster that it is so. But yes, streaming encoding, epically the Hulu program which they currently use, is designed for framerate consistency and not for picture accuracy (does not redraw every frame). Now that being said, we are talking Anime, and we are not talking IRL landscape scenes with lots of foliage and the like. However if you streamed a movie like the "Lord of the Rings" ones vs Blue-Ray, it is night and day with a nice TV. Suggest you read up on Wikipedia land if you really care that much but alas.

The stream quality is good enough as long as your standards are lower... one of the reasons I used to stay away from streaming sites. Alas... anime is animation so the sacrifice is much less of course, alas one that shall be made.

• i meant the extra effects after the broadcast, like face corrections,color quality, lighting, shadows, more animation and touch ups.

google "anime tv vs dvd" to see what i mean.

• @Major0noob:

i meant the extra effects after the broadcast, like face corrections,color quality, lighting, shadows, more animation and touch ups.

google "anime tv vs dvd" to see what i mean.

Yea that stuff is on the stream… for instance they did or recently are putting "Kamisama Kiss" on again after its simulcast or whatever as DVD format.

However if you mean the full package... yes you need to have a BluRay for max quality. If, however you are only talking about the effects and post-production and not absolute quality perfection, yes the streaming services usually will have that but not always; usually.

• @thegrandalliance:

yes the streaming services usually will have that but not always; usually.

Lol we're working on that. But yup everything you've said has been on-point!

• thanks, im gonna keep my sup up now.
    i'd buy the dvd sets but they cost more than a month of tv…

• @thegrandalliance:

Meh, VHS is only standard definition…

Standard definition is being generous to VHS. It was inferior in terms of horizontal lines of resolution to analog broadcast TV of the time, which of course couldn't match what a standard resolution DVD could deliver.

• @Major0noob:

thanks, im gonna keep my sup up now.
    i'd buy the dvd sets but they cost more than a month of tv…

LoL, yes; although I guess it depends on which service you have: Cable can get preeety costly. As I have stated before elsewhere, the cost per view (how much $$$ you spend per episode) is FAR less if you stream then of course buying.

Now, if you only watch like 1 series a year then buying the DVD set probably cost less. In either case, the best time to buy the DVD set if you want value is to wait for the release of the "S.A.V.E" edition… which is basically a packaged set at reduced price: This usually takes many years post release though.

Otherwise, if you intent to watch anime for many months into the future (especially simulcasts), the 1-year sub is by far the best value per dollar spent: If you only sub on a per month basis you will fall behind after several months. Be good with your money management skills and everything will work out in the end.

@TheAncientOne:

Standard definition is being generous to VHS. It was inferior in terms of horizontal lines of resolution to analog broadcast TV of the time, which of course couldn't match what a standard resolution DVD could deliver.

Well, depends on the definition of "Standard Defention". There are different VHS types, ususal based upon how much tape it uses, and the like which affect quality. Usually SD simply refers to 480i images, alas yes there is far more technical distictions if you wanted to go into detail.

Nonetheless, yes it is a far cry compared to today's tech… but I assume most of the youngsters here wouldn't even know such things it is so. Very interesting to study how young people behave: Never knew a world of "hardship" as it were...