Grimgar Dub episode 5

• This is probably coming a little late since it came out on Wednesday but… did want to bring it up.

Still this outstanding job by the Dub Voice Actors.

Wow once again the guy they have voicing Haruhiro is just very good with this character. I've said before this guy was a perfect choice, but this is one episode where he really shows it. He is very good at transferring real emotion into this character, and this is one character in the series that is the most important one for that. Honestly I hadn't recognized this guy from other stuff but I should have, even though he's relatively new, he's done some other big roles too. I just hadn't recognized him because his voice changes. He was Magnus in Unbreakable Machine Doll which was a very good performance... but completely different type of voice.

And once again we see what is in reality a very good performance from Jeannie Tirado as Yume... but someone who just is completely unable to transfer Yume's ditziness to the character. She does this spectacular performance translating Yume's pain in the grave scene with Ranta, and then in the scene with Haru in the rain....

....but then..... the end scene where you can practically hear the Final Jeopardy Tune finish before she figures out Shihoru caught her in a compromising position.... just falls completely flat.... The humor... lost.

And just as much of this is the fault of the writers... they didn't translate from JP well enough, so the actual lines from the actor don't play up to it. They probably should have just read the subbed version instead and copied it. When a character is written... AND ANIMATED... as a goof ball... you're not going to be able to get away with your own "interpretation".... its going to look screwy because the scene around it was designed that way.... and you're fighting against the current.

Shihoru... still my favorite little cutie, didn't have much of a part in this one, still one of my favorite little cutie voices. I think her name is Sarah Wiedenheft. This is another character that the animation and the way she moves and acts just fits this voice perfectly.

Ranta... the more I hear this guy, the more I actually am starting to like the Ranta character. Which is not something I did with either the JP version or the LN. The original character for this is just sooo annoying I can't stand him. But this guy, actually brings out the character well, and makes him just annoying enough to get the point across but not enough to completely piss me off... yes I know that's what the original character is supposed to be... but I'm actually preferring this version. If I wanted to talk accuracy... that would be the JP version... he is perfectly what the character is supposed to be..... but I'm liking this one better.

Moguzo: Great scene... but the sound side needed to push the sound up a little higher for his explosion. It sounds like he probably was about to blow out the mic, so they muted it a bit. they needed to compensate and crank it back up when they include it in the edit. Its a very subtle thing most people wouldn't be able to catch unless they were listening for it. You can actually hear that he was further away from the mic for that one part.

Mary: You know... its hard to judge this one yet... the JP version of her is very flat which goes well with an emotionally crushed character... but I'm actually liking the EN version. She's still very subdued... but her voice is more girlish. I have no idea who plays this one, but the voice sounds slightly familiar. And she just might be a better choice than the JP version was. I'll have to hear more before I judge.

• @Phoenixus:

I have no idea who plays this one, but the voice sounds slightly familiar.

Jad Saxton.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Jad Saxton.

oh yeah… that's going to be a perfect choice for Mary... if ever there was a character type Jad Saxon is good at... its this type.... she's probably going to outstrip the JP version then.

Well I guess I can't really say that. The JP version sounds very monotone... and intentionally so. Mary is an emotionally destroyed girl. The stuck up is only her way of keeping everyone away from her. And with the tone change in later episodes, comes across as someone who is starting to feel something again (pulls it off very well)... and awkwardly reaching out.

EDIT: Still, I'm pretty sure Jad is going to beat her.

• @Phoenixus:

Ranta… the more I hear this guy, the more I actually am starting to like the Ranta character. Which is not something I did with either the JP version or the LN. The original character for this is just sooo annoying I can't stand him. But this guy, actually brings out the character well, and makes him just annoying enough to get the point across but not enough to completely piss me off... yes I know that's what the original character is supposed to be... but I'm actually preferring this version. If I wanted to talk accuracy... that would be the JP version... he is perfectly what the character is supposed to be..... but I'm liking this one better.

Ranta is completely psychotic lol I wouldn't be surprised if he killed one of the other party members at this point.

The English voice actor does a good job of portraying an unstable character.

• Heh yeah I do like this version of Ranta in the Dub.

And to be fair here… even the JP version missed some things. One example is Moguzo's "Thank you" slash in episode 4... they never explain it properly in the JP version either.

Its supposed to be... "Thank you for letting me hit you"... because... the wind up on the strike is soooo long.... that everyone can see it coming long before it hits and can dodge it easily.... ergo... when Moguzo actually hits someone with it, he screams out "THANK YOU" or DOMO!!!

• Sir I believe you have just made my day. The voice for the dub are way better than I expected them to be, and for how emotional the show it takes a lot for the voice actors to convey the way the characters feel. These ladies and gentlemen blow my mind for how well they pull if off.

• Well they quite frankly do. The EN cast is really good.

The JP actors in reality come off with slightly more intensity and even authentic in their portrayals, but the EN crew more than demonstrates their ability keep up with it. The EN voice actors strength is how warm they actually portray the group cohesion. Here they surpass the JP crew. The only problem being, as the series goes on, more and more time is spent in combat, which is where the JP actors really shine when it comes to intensity of emotions.

The exception being the Yume character where it looks like Funimation kind of missed on this one which makes her look very awkward due to the way the scenes are animated and written. Yume is supposed to be the comic relief, so a lot of scenes are designed around this and fall flat with a serious portrayal.

They probably should have left in the way Yume always refers to herself in 3rd person, and her constant use of the words"super cute". It sets up a lot of the scenes better, so the jokes end up falling flat.

Jeanie Tiraldo does a good job with a serious character and really brings out the emotions, but ends up looking awkward because the scenes for her character are designed for the complete opposite so it doesn't match up to what's actually going on in the animation nor does it set up the jokes properly.

The JP actress due to the way its written is able to bring the full 3D of the character out, incorporating both Yume's ditziness and also the serious emotions of the real Yume…. that makes her more than just a shallow ditz, she comes across as a real person with real emotions, who happens to also be a little goofy and oblivious.