FunimationNow Mobile App + Chromecast issues and feedback

• Please post any issues or feedback regarding casting from the FunimationNow mobile app on Chromecast. In your report, please include your device and operating system. If applicable, please include steps to reproduce along with what you would expect to happen based on your experience with other apps that support Chromecast. The easier it is for me to see what is happening, the easier it will be for me to communicate the issues to the development team.

AirPlay will be a separate thread.

Please put any other mobile app issues or feedback over here in this thread only: http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?10223-FunimationNow-mobile-app-is-available-NOW!

Thank you!! <3

• @Sophie:

Please post any issues or feedback regarding casting from the FunimationNow mobile app on Chromecast. In your report, please include your device and operating system. If applicable, please include steps to reproduce along with what you would expect to happen based on your experience with other apps that support Chromecast. The easier it is for me to see what is happening, the easier it will be for me to communicate the issues to the development team.

Thank you!! <3

AirPlay will be a separate thread.

I mentioned this on the other thread but just to make sure.

Videos will randomly freeze during casting requiring video to be restarted. Happened on Galaxy S7 and S5, along with nexus 9. Android 6, 5,0, and 5.1

• Is there a specific episode you've seen this happen on that I can use to test? I just want to make sure it's not an encoding issue.

• Is the app live in the UK yet? Because on all my devices (iPad, iPhone and ps4) the app is not found. If I go on your website and click the link that sends be to Apple App Store I just get a white page with "Funimation" written at the top.

Can't wait till I can watch all my favourite shows on your new app!

• @Sophie:

Is there a specific episode you've seen this happen on that I can use to test? I just want to make sure it's not an encoding issue.

No. I started to watch Heavy Object dubbed and it was pretty bad, by episode 4 I gave up watching as it was frequent, Arslan was less frequent but still happened got up to ep 9 before giving up. It wasn't even a specific point in the show. Sometimes it would happen 2:50 into an ep and when I restarted it would go past that just fine but stop again at 11:23 and sometimes it wouldn't happen for a couple episodes.

• Loving the new app way better, but two issues have arisen for me. One is that it signs me out of the app every time I exit it, and the second is that it is not updating properly. I went to watch heavy object at 9:45 pm well after it came on funimation, but it wasn't on the app, so I watched it on the website instead.

• I am posting this here and I will post the same message to the Support page as well.

I am using a Proscan Android 4.4.2 KitKat tablet. I went to the Google Play Store to try to download and install the new FunimationNow app for my tablet and I have a problem. I can't download and install it. The first picture you see is the message I got when I went to the Google Play Store and the second picture is my Proscan's stats. Here they are:

Proscan Stats:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/c0ec43417137974

FunimationNow:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/be72c1471449267

I just want to let you know this. I hope someone helps me. Thanks.

• This post is deleted!

• I just noticed at least for Pandora in the crimson shell, that the newest broadcast dub is not appearing in the Windows app or Android App. :( ?

• Android user here (Marshmallow) and the chromecast interface is terrible. It will play for about 3-10 minutes, then enters an indefinite loading loop. I have to restart the video and most of the time that still doesn't work. I usually have to close out of the app completely and restart the app. It also doesn't record my progress through shows in the app, either, when this problem occurs (which is every time I play them from my phone and cast them to my chromecast).

• I'm using the new app on an iPad air 2. At first I thought it was a great improvement, but then I noticed that 90% of the simulcast eps I watch are delayed on the app even though they've been released and can be watched on the website. Only time that hasn't happened was when I watched Grimgar yesterday. Like right now I can't watch Snow white with the red hair on the app, but it's released on the website

• @AnimeFreak1993:

Android user here (Marshmallow) and the chromecast interface is terrible. It will play for about 3-10 minutes, then enters an indefinite loading loop. I have to restart the video and most of the time that still doesn't work. I usually have to close out of the app completely and restart the app. It also doesn't record my progress through shows in the app, either, when this problem occurs (which is every time I play them from my phone and cast them to my chromecast).

I have the same problem, with a Nexus 6 On latest Marshmallow Available. Most of the time, stoping casting from the app, and restarting it as soon as the video start again from the app on the phone does the trick. But sometimes, I can't get back in the app after stopping the casting to the chromecast, the app just freeze. One time, it did play the audio only of the episode (on the phone after stopping the cast in the app -chromecast icon - stop casting)) I was watching after the app froze (it was the latest DurararaX2 episode), that time I had to force quit the app.

Dont' know if it is relevant, but even if I connect the app to the chrome cast before sending an episode to the cast, I always hear around 6 second of audio on the phone before the casting "enter into effect" and play on my chromecast tv.

• @totally-british:

Is the app live in the UK yet? Because on all my devices (iPad, iPhone and ps4) the app is not found. If I go on your website and click the link that sends be to Apple App Store I just get a white page with "Funimation" written at the top.

Can't wait till I can watch all my favourite shows on your new app!

Not quite yet, but it will be soon. Keep an eye on the FunimationUK Twitter. https://twitter.com/FunimationUK You can also sign up to be notified when the site launches over at www.funimationnow.uk.

@highGuard:

No. I started to watch Heavy Object dubbed and it was pretty bad, by episode 4 I gave up watching as it was frequent, Arslan was less frequent but still happened got up to ep 9 before giving up. It wasn't even a specific point in the show. Sometimes it would happen 2:50 into an ep and when I restarted it would go past that just fine but stop again at 11:23 and sometimes it wouldn't happen for a couple episodes.

Well, even that is enough to test. I did see that behavior yesterday (play for a couple minutes, stop to buffer, restart episode, play for about 12 minutes, stop to buffer) while casting from iOS. I'll see if I can reproduce here. With that many devices, it sounds like it's a global Android issue, which is nice for testing.

@hooin_kyoma:

Loving the new app way better, but two issues have arisen for me. One is that it signs me out of the app every time I exit it, and the second is that it is not updating properly. I went to watch heavy object at 9:45 pm well after it came on funimation, but it wasn't on the app, so I watched it on the website instead.

Signing out on Android is a known issue, but as far as we know, it only happens once per day at 1:00 a.m. Content issues are being worked on and are separate from the app. You can report issues like this at http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?10223-FunimationNow-mobile-app-is-available-NOW!

Please keep this thread about Chromecast issues only.

• @Hanssen01:

I am posting this here and I will post the same message to the Support page as well.

I am using a Proscan Android 4.4.2 KitKat tablet. I went to the Google Play Store to try to download and install the new FunimationNow app for my tablet and I have a problem. I can't download and install it. The first picture you see is the message I got when I went to the Google Play Store and the second picture is my Proscan's stats.

Unfortunately, this means that the Proscan tablet isn't compatible with the app. I'll add it to the suggestions list, though.

Please only post Chromecast issues in this thread.

• @zombiexm:

I just noticed at least for Pandora in the crimson shell, that the newest broadcast dub is not appearing in the Windows app or Android App. :( ?

@Nemi08:

I'm using the new app on an iPad air 2. At first I thought it was a great improvement, but then I noticed that 90% of the simulcast eps I watch are delayed on the app even though they've been released and can be watched on the website. Only time that hasn't happened was when I watched Grimgar yesterday. Like right now I can't watch Snow white with the red hair on the app, but it's released on the website

I have reported both episodes. We still have some content issues. Please only post Chromecast issues in this thread.

• @AnimeFreak1993:

Android user here (Marshmallow) and the chromecast interface is terrible. It will play for about 3-10 minutes, then enters an indefinite loading loop. I have to restart the video and most of the time that still doesn't work. I usually have to close out of the app completely and restart the app. It also doesn't record my progress through shows in the app, either, when this problem occurs (which is every time I play them from my phone and cast them to my chromecast).

Thank you for reporting. Not posting to site history while casting has been reported. I just need to go confirm it. For the infinite loading loop issue, could you please tell me whether or not your Chromecast is connected directly to your TV or not? We are having a hard time reproducing.

@Kosh_Naranek:

I have the same problem, with a Nexus 6 On latest Marshmallow Available. Most of the time, stoping casting from the app, and restarting it as soon as the video start again from the app on the phone does the trick. But sometimes, I can't get back in the app after stopping the casting to the chromecast, the app just freeze. One time, it did play the audio only of the episode (on the phone after stopping the cast in the app -chromecast icon - stop casting)) I was watching after the app froze (it was the latest DurararaX2 episode), that time I had to force quit the app.

Dont' know if it is relevant, but even if I connect the app to the chrome cast before sending an episode to the cast, I always hear around 6 second of audio on the phone before the casting "enter into effect" and play on my chromecast tv.

Thank you for reporting! I've heard the audio issue before (audio continues after cast is stopped), but I've never been able to reproduce it. If you happen to encounter it again, could you please post steps to reproduce?

• @Sophie:

Thank you for reporting. Not posting to site history while casting has been reported. I just need to go confirm it. For the infinite loading loop issue, could you please tell me whether or not your Chromecast is connected directly to your TV or not? We are having a hard time reproducing.

I can not answer for AnimeFreak1993, But on my side, my chromecast is plugged directly to the TV, and data pass througth my router by Wi-Fi (I know some people use their PC as a wi-fi source/router)

If it has any incidence, it's the first generation model of chromecast.

Edited for Sophie's question: @Sophie:

hank you for reporting! I've heard the audio issue before (audio continues after cast is stopped), but I've never been able to reproduce it. If you happen to encounter it again, could you please post steps to reproduce?

Here is what I'm doing:

-open funimationapp on my phone.
    -select chromecast icon and my chromecast
    -Now there are 2 ways I select a show: start one in a queue (DurararaX2 for exemple) and push play on the latest episode OR
    Browse, and start an episode, from the list of available epsiode. Like I did for assassination classroom first episodes.

I am not sure if I hear audio at every start of an episode (haven't really notice - I use wireless headphones).

As for the audio on DurararaX2 episode 56 this weekend, at around 10 minutes, it froze, I tried to disconnect from chromecast within the app (normally, episode would resume on my phone) but the phone froze, audio was continuing, and after a few seconds, I had access to my phone OS, and force quit The Funimationnow app by going into the app list, dragging and dropping the app icon on more info (top left) and then selecting force quit - sorry if the terminology is not exact, my OS is actually in french)).

• Thank you! That should be enough to reproduce and seems to be related to the general playback issues. Does this this issue occur on the first video you play from the app when you initially load it or after you've played two or three in a row? Does it occur on every episode you play or more randomly?

• @Sophie:

Thank you! That should be enough to reproduce and seems to be related to the general playback issues. Does this this issue occur on the first video you play from the app when you initially load it or after you've played two or three in a row? Does it occur on every episode you play or more randomly?

Well, last time I noticed this, I did watch a few episodes in a row, and yesterday I used my browser with chrome remote desktop app without casting to my chromecast, so I will try this this evening when I'm back.

Later.

• @Sophie:

Unfortunately, this means that the Proscan tablet isn't compatible with the app. I'll add it to the suggestions list, though.

Please only post Chromecast issues in this thread.

So why does the title of this thread say and I quote:

"FunimationNow Mobile App + Chromecast issues and feedback"

I am having a problem with the FunimationNow app. So what I posted is allowed here. Why did you say is just for Chromecast issues?

• @Sophie : I have just start watching a show, and the sound did start on my phone (even tought I was already connected on the chromecast). It was 6 second long. Then the show restarted from 0 on my chromecast.

Edit: and for the second times, when the casting froze, I opened the phone , returned to the app, stopped the casting, the app dissappeared (not able to get it back from the recent app menu) and the sound did continue on my phone, after a little delay.had to force quit the funimationnow app by doing the more info, force quit trick form the apps menu.

Edit 2 : since autoplay does not work, when the end credit rolls, took the habit to get on the phone open the app, go back to.the list of episode and select the next one.

Doing this, sound switch back to.the phone for.a few.seconds, and then de cast start on my chromecast. Of course when it does.sound is cut off on the phone.

Edit 3: another app crash that resulted in sound resuming on the phone but app wasn't running innthebforeground. Had to force crash it. What was new was that once I tried to restart the app, after pushing play on my phone, the screen turned all white, and nothing was happening, on my phone or on my TV. To resolve this I had to force quit the app again an d open the chrome cast app, and on the middle tab of the app, stop the casting from .com.funimation.funimationnow

And then I was able to get back in the funimation app and start casting again.

Last edit: Something strange to add.

After another app freeze, kept th phone in hand. When it froze, woke the phone, since mynmoto 360/is a trusted device, didn't had to unlock with pattern, and once the app appeared on the screen, the episode resumed on the chromecast. We are talking about a one second unlock,.app.appearimg on screen. I don't know.much about android OS and programming an app, but I am.wondering if the freeze has anything to do with a energy saving feature in Androidโ€ฆ