Average Time from Broadcast Dub to DVD

• I'm not sure if this has been asked elsewhere, but about how long does it take for the DVD/Blu-Ray to release once a broadcast dub has finished airing? I have been really enjoying Divine Gate for its amalgamation of science-fiction and fantasy, and cannot wait to get it on Blu-Ray.

• Same as before broadcast dubs started: standard is 12-16 months after airing/JP BD release. Broadcast dubs just get you the dub faster. The hold up basically comes from our releases being so much cheaper than Japan's and us sharing a BD region with them.

You can have two of the following but not all three: Inexpensive, Quality, Fast.

• Currently we have 5 known examples of Broadcast Dub DVD/BD release dates. So lemme give you a rundown of what we have currently got.

Psycho Pass 2
    Int. Airing - October 2014 - December 2014
    DVD/BD Release - March 8, 2016

Kamisama Kiss 2
    Int. Airing - January 2015 - March 2015
    DVD/BD Release - April 26, 2016

Assassination Classroom
    Int. Airing - January 2015 - June 2015
    DVD/BD Release (Eps. 1-11) - May 17, 2016

Tokyo Ghoul Root A
    Int. Airing - January 2015 - March 2015
    DVD/BD Release - May 24, 2016

Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign
    Int. Airing - April 2015 - June 2015
    DVD/BD Release - May 24, 2016

Basically for most of these just like any other Funimation show, they typically have a 12-16 month wait between the initial first episode simulcast until the full DVD/BD release. So far the shortest wait between 1st Episode simulcast to DVD/BD release of the bunch is definitely Seraph of the End, hitting shelves a surprisingly fast 13 months after the airing of the first episode. We still have quite a few more Winter Broadcast Dubs to come out and we've already got a Spring show hitting store shelves. Hell, Laughing Under the Clouds which was the same season as Psycho Pass 2 has yet to be announced too.

Anyways, hope this gives you an idea on what to expect. For Divine Gate specifically…I'd say expect it around April-June 2017 for a DVD/BD retail release.

• Wow that's a lot longer than I expected. Laughing Under the Clouds was the very first broadcast dub if I'm not mistaken, so that's pretty crazy. Yeah that helps. Can you perhaps elaborate though on why it takes so long to release?

I suppose this really demonstrates why the broadcast dubs are so awesome in the first place.

BTW Thanks for the information on Divine Gate,

• @nubguy:

Wow that's a lot longer than I expected. Laughing Under the Clouds was the very first broadcast dub if I'm not mistaken, so that's pretty crazy. Yeah that helps. Can you perhaps elaborate though on why it takes so long to release?

I think it's basically that they aren't allowed to release them sooner. Basically, anime is so expensive in Japan it is cheaper to buy it in the U.S. and then import it. Japan doesn't want to lose out on all of the expensive anime $$$.

• Better question is, what's the turn around time from Otakon 2014 announcement to release?

• @dougswisher:

Better question is, what's the turn around time from Otakon 2014 announcement to release?

I'd say the wait gets longer and longer each time you ask.

• that's probably true.

I mean, I know if I were calling the shots, I would also elect to keep the money printer turned off. Nothing good ever comes from making a decent profit.

• Seriously though, Doug, it's getting pretty old. :hmm:

• Slightly different question. How long does the series remain on Funi's website after the last episode of broadcast dub airs?

• @Marshall2000_uk:

Slightly different question. How long does the series remain on Funi's website after the last episode of broadcast dub airs?

Forever. Or until they lose the rights, which might be years down the road.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Forever. Or until they lose the rights, which might be years down the road.

Awesome, I presumed they'd take it down before physical release. Happy to be totally wrong.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Seriously though, Doug, it's getting pretty old. :hmm:

You're not kidding! it'll be TWO YEARS in 5 months!

Good thing I check the forums regularly, and have a cache of gifs ready to go!

• @dougswisher:

You're not kidding! it'll be TWO YEARS in 5 months!

Good thing I check the forums regularly, and have a cache of gifs ready to go!

Honestly, I get the annoyance of having to wait awhile, but stressing over it and beating a dead horse isn't going to change the speed anytime soon. My advice is to just drop the subject.

• No way. If people stop talking about it, even if it's only me talking about it, people will forget.

Someone has to make sure people never forget.

• @dougswisher:

Nothing good ever comes from making a decent profit.

Theoretically, that would speed things up.

• I feel like Doug should just post a different, random gif everytime he wants to complain about something not being released yet. And that's all. Just a post with a random gif. Wouldn't get old as quick.