FunimationNow mobile app is available…. NOW!

• It's here! Version 1 of FunimationNow app for iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, and Windows 10 Universal, is now available for you to download.

Check out the blog post for a rundown of the features or just download the app to your iPhone or iPad right now!

We'd love any feedback you'd like to provide on the iOS app (and the other apps when they are available). If you encounter any issues or if you have any questions, please post to this thread, and I will be happy to help! We are already working on the next version.

Please go here for a list of known issues. <– There is nothing in here yet, but there will be soon.

Thank you for all of your support!!!!

• I tried out the Chromecast feature and had a few issues on the Ipad app (I'm on iOS 9.2.1). I was playing episode 4 of the Dagashi Kashi dub and the video was kind of lagging and skipping frames while the audio would occasionally hiccup. After about 3 and a half minutes the video froze entirely. I started it over and that took care of the audio and visual issues but the progress bar was stuck at the bottom of the screen. I tried to pause and replay the video which reset the episode on me. I guess if you try to pause from the main screen it restarts so you have to tap the Chromecast icon instead which is a bit confusing, plus you lost the ability to skip back or ahead or find a position in the video. My third attempt was issue free at least.

On the positive side the app is very nice looking and user friendly. I'm glad it's finally available, but if you can improve the Chromecast experience that would be much appreciated since it's my main method of watching streaming video.

• So would this mean that the android version will be making its way over in a day or two or is it still undetermined?

• Been waiting for the new app, and it's finally here!

I've found a few small issues people may have overlooked, at least in the iOS app. When playing a video, you can tap to bring up the forward/backward/play/pause buttons, but you can't tap to make them go away again. They just stay there blocking the video for a while and you have to wait for them to disappear again. Other video player apps don't do this. The text size and placement of the name of the show is also kinda big and gets cut off when the name is long or in portrait mode.

Pressing the "3 dots" button when in a video and pressing the Share button sometimes causes the app to freeze up for a good ~20 seconds, and sometimes it crashes completely.

Not sure if this was intentional, but for whatever reason, the programmers made it so video is also silenced when you toggle the iPhone Ring/Silent switch when headphones aren't plugged in. I think the switch is only supposed to be for notifications and ringtones and stuff, not for playing videos.

The video quality is also anywhere from pretty bad to slightly worse than playing it directly from the website with the HTML5 player. It looks like the app is trying to be smart and stream according to how fast your internet is, but it can take a while for the app to start playing the high quality streams instead of the lower quality ones, and sometimes it doesn't switch to the HD version at all even when the internet speed can support it just fine.

This is still a huge improvement over the previous app, but thought I'd put in some feedback so your coders can fix up the remaining bugs.

• First thing's first: High School DxD is missing from the app, this makes me depressed because I may want to watch it for my fifth (or would it be my sixth?) time. The thumbnail is in my queue but that's really it, it doesn't display anything for the show.

Selecting My Queue isn't very responsive and sometimes won't load except for the first time after forcibly closing the app's process.
    The information below each show can be a bit confusing, like why would I need to know when the show's random episode aired? Something like the last episode that I watched in that series would be way more helpful. Personally I find it a bit confusing.

I actually still see a clickable for Baccano! on my homepage under Continue Watching, when I click it it says "something went wrong" and to check my internet connection.
    A way to customize my home tab would be quite nice.

I notice an autoplay option in the settings tab, will it play through an entire series or will it stop after a while to make sure i'm still "there" (aka not asleep)?

Please a skip option on the player! By skip I mean to the next (or previous) episode.

This is definitely many steps in the right direction, now it just needs some fine tuning!

It is vastly better than the other app though and will take this in a heartbeat. A queue sync is SO VERY NICE as someone who watches while in bed and on the couch, I do very little watching on my own PC.

Sorry if it seems a bit… uhh... entitled? pushy? Just my thoughts as I played around with it.

Also how do I change from dub to sub or sub to dub?

Oh no wait I found it in settings as "audio preference". A bold choice I won't lie. I like it!

• It would be nice if the shows were able to be organized by season

• Which Kindle is the app compatible with? I'm asking because my 2015 Kindle Fire apparently isn't and now I'm sad. Will it be included soon? I was really looking forward to the new app, so I hope good news will come forth.

• Is there significant delay on the times simulcasts are available to the apps? I was going to watch episode 9 of Grimgar on the iOS app but it doesn't seem to be available on the app yet (as of writing it's been around 36 hours since the simulcast has been available on the website, I think).

The app is great though, I like it a lot!

• The first thing I noticed after launching the new app (on my iPad) is that not every video is available and I don't know why–e.g., episode 21 of Snow White with the Red Hair and episode 9 of Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash are not in the app, but they are on website, and I just can't think of a reason as to why this is the case. Other than that, I have to mess around with the app some more, but it's unquestionably an improvement over the previous app.

P.S. Any word on when the Apple TV app will be available? I was hoping it would launch with the mobile app, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• The app won't even start on my iPad Mini (1st generation); works fine on the Air (1st generation) and iPhone 6 though. When I open it in the Mini, I just get a blank screen with a play (triangle) symbol, and nothing else. I'm running the latest iOS on all devices.

• @jefftmbg:

I tried out the Chromecast feature and had a few issues on the Ipad app (I'm on iOS 9.2.1). I was playing episode 4 of the Dagashi Kashi dub and the video was kind of lagging and skipping frames while the audio would occasionally hiccup. After about 3 and a half minutes the video froze entirely.

I ran into all of that last night too. Thank you for confirming. I'll be working through the exact bugs to reproduce and get them to our dev team, so that they can fix. Chromecast is one of our top priorities.

@yepperoni:

Been waiting for the new app, and it's finally here!

I've found a few small issues people may have overlooked, at least in the iOS app. When playing a video, you can tap to bring up the forward/backward/play/pause buttons, but you can't tap to make them go away again. They just stay there blocking the video for a while and you have to wait for them to disappear again. Other video player apps don't do this.

I think this was the intended functionality, but I'll note it as an improvement for a version update.

@yepperoni:

The text size and placement of the name of the show is also kinda big and gets cut off when the name is long or in portrait mode.

This was intended. However, there is a bug where the landscape mode is using the text for portrait mode. This will be fixed in a later version update.

@yepperoni:

Pressing the "3 dots" button when in a video and pressing the Share button sometimes causes the app to freeze up for a good ~20 seconds, and sometimes it crashes completely.

I have not experienced this one. Which iPad are you on?

@yepperoni:

Not sure if this was intentional, but for whatever reason, the programmers made it so video is also silenced when you toggle the iPhone Ring/Silent switch when headphones aren't plugged in. I think the switch is only supposed to be for notifications and ringtones and stuff, not for playing videos.

This is a known issue and has already been logged to be fixed. The player will follow your media volume settings, so it won't mute the volume when you have your phone on mute.

@yepperoni:

The video quality is also anywhere from pretty bad to slightly worse than playing it directly from the website with the HTML5 player. It looks like the app is trying to be smart and stream according to how fast your internet is, but it can take a while for the app to start playing the high quality streams instead of the lower quality ones, and sometimes it doesn't switch to the HD version at all even when the internet speed can support it just fine.

Yes, we've noticed this as well. I think it's partially due to the fact that we are still using our mp4s and have not yet moved to ProRes, which will be happening in May. We can ask about improving the quality, but it may have to wait until May.

@yepperoni:

This is still a huge improvement over the previous app, but thought I'd put in some feedback so your coders can fix up the remaining bugs.

Thank you so much!!

• @darthrutsula:

First thing's first: High School DxD is missing from the app, this makes me depressed because I may want to watch it for my fifth (or would it be my sixth?) time. The thumbnail is in my queue but that's really it, it doesn't display anything for the show.

XD I was wondering how long it would take before people would find this one. There are actually quite a few content issues on the app as a result of moving 20,000 videos over to a new system. We are working through them as quickly as possible.

@darthrutsula:

Selecting My Queue isn't very responsive and sometimes won't load except for the first time after forcibly closing the app's process.

I've noticed this on Android, but not on iOS. Please provide your device and operating system.

@darthrutsula:

The information below each show can be a bit confusing, like why would I need to know when the show's random episode aired? Something like the last episode that I watched in that series would be way more helpful. Personally I find it a bit confusing.

This is the latest posted episode (dub or sub) for that show. The Recently Watched screen that is next to your Queue provides the episode that you last watched for each show.

@darthrutsula:

I actually still see a clickable for Baccano! on my homepage under Continue Watching, when I click it it says "something went wrong" and to check my internet connection.

We have lost the rights to that show, so we removed it from the new system. It looks like it didn't completely go away though, so I'll report the bug that it should also not appear in Continue Watching if a user was previously watching it.

@darthrutsula:

A way to customize my home tab would be quite nice.

We can look into that.

@darthrutsula:

I notice an autoplay option in the settings tab, will it play through an entire series or will it stop after a while to make sure i'm still "there" (aka not asleep)?

Currently, it will play through an entire season or after 3 hours, whichever comes first. We will be fixing the issue where it stops between seasons.

@darthrutsula:

Please a skip option on the player! By skip I mean to the next (or previous) episode.

Skipping to the next episode is already on the app. Tap to display the menu bar. Tap the 3 dots. Tap the button that looks like this >|. To access the previous episode or any other episode from the player, tap the leftmost button in that same menu bar. It looks like three horizontal lines. That is the playlist button. You can switch seasons from there too.

@darthrutsula:

Also how do I change from dub to sub or sub to dub?

Oh no wait I found it in settings as "audio preference". A bold choice I won't lie. I like it!

Yep, that's one way. The other way to do this and override your audio preference is to tap on an episode in the video list on each show detail screen. Then tap the audio selector.

• @highGuard:

It would be nice if the shows were able to be organized by season

This can be added. It may have to wait for May when the site is updated with this feature.

@zr1bt3:

Is there significant delay on the times simulcasts are available to the apps? I was going to watch episode 9 of Grimgar on the iOS app but it doesn't seem to be available on the app yet (as of writing it's been around 36 hours since the simulcast has been available on the website, I think).

@pxsausage:

The first thing I noticed after launching the new app (on my iPad) is that not every video is available and I don't know why–e.g., episode 21 of Snow White with the Red Hair and episode 9 of Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash are not in the app, but they are on website, and I just can't think of a reason as to why this is the case. Other than that, I have to mess around with the app some more, but it's unquestionably an improvement over the previous app.

There isn't supposed to be much of a delay, if any. However, there are a lot of content issues. We are working through them as quickly as possible.

@pxsausage:

P.S. Any word on when the Apple TV app will be available? I was hoping it would launch with the mobile app, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Some time between now and May.

@elux72:

The app won't even start on my iPad Mini (1st generation); works fine on the Air (1st generation) and iPhone 6 though. When I open it in the Mini, I just get a blank screen with a play (triangle) symbol, and nothing else. I'm running the latest iOS on all devices.

Oh! I know what that is. It's because the iPad Mini doesn't have retina, so it's not playing the intro video. If you tap the play triangle, can you access the app after that?

• The search is a bit off. Searching for "Luck and logic" will return no results while "luck logic" will return the correct result

Just noticed on the front page of the app that one piece is listed under all the suggested tags: Action, fanservice, and slice of life.

• @highGuard:

The search is a bit off. Searching for "Luck and logic" will return no results while "luck logic" will return the correct result

Known issue! It will be fixed. ^_^

@highGuard:

Just noticed on the front page of the app that one piece is listed under all the suggested tags: Action, fanservice, and slice of life.

Not an issue. One Piece has all of these things. We just really like to tag shows with a lot of genres. FMA has like 17 genres. I believe there will be a genre cleansing at some point.

• I don't know if this was intended or not, but I was watching an episode on my phone (IPhone 5s iOS 9.2.1); and I had ear phones on. When I pressed the button to pause the episode (the middle button) it would start playing music. When I watched episodes on the website (before the app release) it wouldn't do that, but when I'm watching episodes on the app it does that.

It's something little but still wanted to point it out :).

• @Anthony:

I don't know if this was intended or not, but I was watching an episode on my phone (IPhone 5s iOS 9.2.1); and I had ear phones on. When I pressed the button to pause the episode (the middle button) it would start playing music. When I watched episodes on the website (before the app release) it wouldn't do that, but when I'm watching episodes on the app it does that.

It's something little but still wanted to point it out .

Wow. That is nuts and probably not intended. Thank you for reporting. I'm unable to reproduce on iOS 8.4 on an iPhone 6, but I'll see if I can find one on 9.2.1. (I need to keep mine on 8.4 until we fix a bug) What music played and what were you watching on the app? Did you have another app running in the background? Does this happen consistently? I have encountered when it would keep playing a video after I exited the player, but I was never able to reproduce consistently.

• I actually got to use the app now and sadly it's doesn't seem to really work. I stream to my chromecast and 2 shows and 3 videos just lock up at random requiring a restart of the video. I've tried it on both my nexus tablet and my S5 phone with the same results.

• @Sophie:

Wow. That is nuts and probably not intended. Thank you for reporting. I'm unable to reproduce on iOS 8.4 on an iPhone 6, but I'll see if I can find one on 9.2.1. (I need to keep mine on 8.4 until we fix a bug) What music played and what were you watching on the app? Did you have another app running in the background? Does this happen consistently? I have encountered when it would keep playing a video after I exited the player, but I was never able to reproduce consistently.

Just an edit: it only plays music when you try to un pause the video, if you try to pause it while video is playing nothing happens.

The music that was playing was a random song from my playlist and I was watching Fullmetal Alchemist.
    I had snapchat opened in the background and a game that I was playing.
    It happens every time you try to un pause the video.

• I think I posted this in another thread, but airplay didn't work on my iPad Pro on the latest version of iOS(9.3? I think)

• @Sophie:

XD I was wondering how long it would take before people would find this one. There are actually quite a few content issues on the app as a result of moving 20,000 videos over to a new system. We are working through them as quickly as possible.

Immediately, that's how quickly I found out xP

I've noticed this on Android, but not on iOS. Please provide your device and operating system.

Nvidia Shield Tablet android 6.0

This is the latest posted episode (dub or sub) for that show. The Recently Watched screen that is next to your Queue provides the episode that you last watched for each show.

Not what i've seen, like when i scroll over black cat it says "episode 3 posted 4 years ago" which is why I say its a random episode and I'm positive its not limited to black cat.

We have lost the rights to that show, so we removed it from the new system. It looks like it didn't completely go away though, so I'll report the bug that it should also not appear in Continue Watching if a user was previously watching it.

I know, thought I should report it.

We can look into that.

Currently, it will play through an entire season or after 3 hours, whichever comes first. We will be fixing the issue where it stops between seasons.

Skipping to the next episode is already on the app. Tap to display the menu bar. Tap the 3 dots. Tap the button that looks like this >|. To access the previous episode or any other episode from the player, tap the leftmost button in that same menu bar. It looks like three horizontal lines. That is the playlist button. You can switch seasons from there too.

Yep, that's one way. The other way to do this and override your audio preference is to tap on an episode in the video list on each show detail screen. Then tap the audio selector.

Yay! Good to know. Too many clicks, its fine I guess but seems a bit out of the way compared to pressing the back button and just going to the next episode isn't it? Yea I found out how to change it without changing that preference when I was in my bed xD