Spring 2016 Anime: U.S. Licenses/Streaming Rights

• GOTTA TAKE OVER AND MAKE MY OFFICIAL THREAD PEOPLE

Anyways I got a lot of theories about who should pick up what. Now it's time to make it official. Of course this is where I will regularly update with who has what shows when they are announced.

UPDATE: Here's the full list of titles so far.

Amazon Prime
    Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Aniplex USA
    High School Fleet
    The Asterisk War Season 2

Crunchyroll
    Ace Attorney
    Anne-Happy
    Big Order
    Bungo Stray Dogs
    Cerberus
    Crane Game Girls
    Future Card Buddyfight Triple D
    Hundred
    Joker Game
    JOKER Season 3
    Kagewani II
    Kiznaiver
    Pan de Peace
    Re:ZERO - Starting Life in Another World
    Shonen Ashibe GO! GO! Goma-chan
    Space Patrol Luluco
    Super Lovers
    Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro
    Twin Star Exorcists
    Usakame
    Wagamama High Spec

Funimation
    And you thought there is never a girl online?
    Concrete Revolutio - The Last Song
    Endride
    Kumamiko - Girl Meets Bear
    My Hero Academia
    Shonen Maid
    Three Leaves, Three Colors

Netflix
    Kurumukuro (streaming)
    Magi: Adventure of Sinbad

Nozomi Entertainment
    Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096

Pony Canyon USA
    Kuromukuro
    The Lost Village

Sentai Filmworks / The Anime Network
    BAKUON!!
    Flying Witch
    Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
    Onigiri
    RIN-NE
    Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
    Ushio & Tora

Viz Media
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
    Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3
    Terra Formars: Revenge

• I think if Viz decides to get anything other than Sailor Moon, they'll probably pick up Twin Star Exorcists. And even though the Rage of Bahamut spin-off is technically a short, I still think Funi might pick it up. They've shown they're not adverse to licensing shorts lately.

• Funimation
    Flat-Out Licensed:
    Ace Attorney
    Assassination Classroom Second Season
    Bakuon!!
    Big Order
    Bungou Stray Dogs
    Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song
    Endride
    Fairy Tail
    Flying Witch
    GARO -Makai Retsuden-
    Joker Game
    Kabaneri the Iron Fortress
    My Hero Academia
    Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta?
    One Piece
    Rainbow Days
    Super Lovers
    Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro

Streaming Rights Only:
    JoJo"s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (Warner Bros)
    Magi: The Voyages of Sinbad (Aniplex)
    The Asterisk War (Part 2) (Aniplex)

Sentai Filmworks
    Hakuouki: Otogisoushi
    Haven"t You Heard? I"m Sakamoto
    Hundred*
    Kumamiko: Girl Meets Bear*
    Re:Zero*
    Rin-Ne
    Shonen Maid
    Ushio and Tora (Part 2)
    (* - Anime Network and/or Hulu Exclusive)

Aniplex of America
    Haifuri
    Magi: The Voyages of Sinbad
    The Asterisk War (Part 2)

Pony Canyon USA
    Kuromukuro
    Mayoiga

Viz Media
    Sailor Moon Crystal: Death Busters Arc
    Twin Star Exorcists

• @SpacemanHardy:

And even though the Rage of Bahamut spin-off is technically a short, I still think Funi might pick it up. They've shown they're not adverse to licensing shorts lately.

I feel like it has less to do with it being a short and more that it's an Ultra Super Anime Time show, where almost every single one of those shows on that has gone to Crunchyroll.

• @classyspartan:

I feel like it has less to do with it being a short and more that it's an Ultra Super Anime Time show, where almost every single one of those shows on that has gone to Crunchyroll.

That may be true, but I've come to realize that in most cases, if Funi really wants something, they'll find a way to get it.

(One Punch Man and Sailor Moon notwithstanding…)

• I think out of all of those titles I'm most excited for Ace Attorney. I used to play those games and they're a lot of fun. I wonder how it will transfer over to anime.

• I'm interested in the Ace Attorney series as well, but I think Viz would probably be the best option for licensing rights to that series. Also, I think Crunchyroll said they'd be exclusively streaming Kiznaiver, but that doesn't necessarily mean someone else will get licensing rights later on.

• Out of all the ones listed, the ones I would hope the most Funi would get would be:
    Big Order
    Flying Witch
    My Hero Academia
    Netoge no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta?
    Ace Attorney

Yeah, odds are not the greatest they'd grab them all, but love the mangas, and Funi is usually the best chance at a dub for them.

• Actually I think Sentai will be grabbing their sequels (Ushio & Tora, Rin-Ne) and maybe 3-5 other titles. They aren't licensing current titles as much as they used to, for what it's worth.

By the way Concrete Revolutio is a Daisuki title, Funimation will get streaming rights through them. There's been no announcement stating whether Funi worked out a deal with Daisuki to release it on home video for them.

• First wave of licensor announcements have hit. Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation (YTV) has put up international sales pages for Ace Attorney and Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro. It should be noted that with the exception of the second season of Diabolik Lovers (and Magic Kaito depending on interpretation), Funimation pulled off a clean sweep of YTV's anime programming for the entire calendar year of 2015. Not sure if it'll play any significance to 2016, but it's something to keep in mind for future speculation.

• Rage of Bahamut: Manaria Friends has been postponed indefinitely; it will not premiere this upcoming season. Details are here. At least it's a better situation than what happened with God Eater.

• Well I'll be a son of a bitch. I've barely even started the month and we've already got our FIRST Funimation Simulcast announcement in the form of what is probably one of my most anticipated shows of Spring. Safe to say I'm in a damn good mood now. Guess it's time to get this list made up a lot sooner than I anticipated. Though I ain't complaining at all.

Aniplex USA
    Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
    The Asterisk War Season 2

Crunchyroll
    Kiznaiver
    Space Patrol Luluco

Funimation
    Concrete Revolutio - The Last Song
    My Hero Academia

Sentai Filmworks
    RIN-NE
    Ushio & Tora

Viz Media
    Sailor Moon Crystal: Death Busters

• So what's the deal with My Hero Academia? I've never heard anything about it before.

• It's a superhero anime from what I'm getting. And if it is, that's pretty self-explanatory as to why it's getting hype.

• Studio Bones is the animation studio, that's all you really need to know, Funimation will try to get most everything done by them.

• I've read the source material now, and while yes the Superhero thing MAY be part of the appeal, but it's also probably one of the most solid Shonen Jump style mangas I've read in a while. As someone who eventually grew super bummed out by Bleach and Naruto, this series has a lot of interesting takes on certain characters, with some that are fairly atypical characters, but others take some new spins on characters. It also helps that it has probably some of the most amazing art I have ever seen in a weekly manga series in a long time. Seriously. Kohei Horikoshi is a phenomenal artist and I am SO HAPPY that the characters transitioned so great to anime.

Also real talk I probably wouldn't have been so excited for the anime had someone like Toei Animation decided to animate the show. Or even Pierrot. But it's BONES, one of the most solid action anime studios that has a VERY solid track record in the past three years, alongside the fact that the Director made Gundam Build Fighters and No. 6 which are both unanimously well received shows. So it's got a good staff and crew and it's from a studio I am really confident can do good things.

Also character designs and style are off the charts. This is a solid Shonen show and I am very happy to see Funimation giving it a VERY NICE TREATMENT so far. Can't wait to finally WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Wow I am just surprised on this comprehensive list of Anime classy… wasn't even aware most of these existed until now. Most interesting indeed...

• @thegrandalliance:

Wow I am just surprised on this comprehensive list of Anime classy… wasn't even aware most of these existed until now. Most interesting indeed...

Oh right I forgot to post to the charts.

https://www.livechart.me/spring-2016/tv

http://anichart.net/spring

These websites help keep track of all the currently airing/upcoming seasonal stuff and it's a great tool at keeping track when and what shows are coming out and when.

• @classyspartan:

Oh right I forgot to post to the charts.
    These websites help keep track of all the currently airing/upcoming seasonal stuff and it's a great tool at keeping track when and what shows are coming out and when.

Ahhh yes fair enough it is so that is true… alas I always just live by the idea that, unless are you in Japan at the time; you are going to know nothing, and it is simply better to wait "until its over" and released with in USA.

...after all whether ANY of them make it to USA or not is itself a subject of debate... no need to get one's hopes up of course.

...and being unnecessarily partial to Funimation: IF it isn't here it doesn't exist :)

• I'm not sure if it'll happen in the Spring or Summer, but Viz does plan to release the dub of Hunter X Hunter beginning sometime this year. Since it was announced in November (or was it October), you'd think it'll be coming soon.