How great is Darker Than Black? What is so special about this anime?

• Just wondering what everyone thinks of this show? I have yet to see either season but plan on getting for Christmas. Just wondering why you recommend or do not recommend it? Thanks and God Bless and have a nice Christmas!!!

• You know you're supposed to put this in the Darker Than Black forum, right?

http://www.funimation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?430-Darker-Than-Black

• 8/10

Definitely worth a watch, if you want a mature action show.

• Just an all-around interesting show from the characters, dialogue, lore of the contractors, and fight scenes. Easily one of my favorite anime and one I always recommend.

• It badly needs another sequel though.

• Darker than Black is a classic, a series that was enjoyable despite not really explaining the "big mystery" brought up in the course of the show, something few shows can do (including its sequel). The show is comprised, mainly, of 2-episode long "mini-stories", all of which are revealed to be significant and have continuity (unlike similar "vignette" series like Cowboy Bebop). This is also Zach Bolton's finest hour as a dub director to date.

The sequel, Ryusei no Gemini was horrid. It does not "function within the franchise" as it forgets fairly significant events/reveals from the original series. It also does not advance the plot of the franchise. Completely skippable. The biggest problem with it is that it, until its end, gives the viewer hope that it will turn around and be good. It doesn't.

• Ok thanks. I will be getting both series for Christmas maybe.

Mod Edit: Dood, seriously, stop it, or I'm gonna have to report you to Sophie. This is your LAST WARNING!

• What exactly is he saying?

If he's just saying "God bless and Merry Christmas", I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

• @hardy. That's just what I leave in the post, he's putting in much much more then that. A merry Christmas &/ or god bless is fine. But when you have lines / paragraphs of stuff. In every post that. A mod has to go in and delete. That's not good.

• Yin is like a copycat of Rei Ayanami.

• @sidereal_presence:

The sequel, Ryusei no Gemini was horrid. It does not "function within the franchise" as it forgets fairly significant events/reveals from the original series. It also does not advance the plot of the franchise. Completely skippable. The biggest problem with it is that it, until its end, gives the viewer hope that it will turn around and be good. It doesn't.

While I'm not bagging on you, I find it funny that although the Second Season starts with Suou, most people still think it's about Hei.

Seriously people, THE STORY IS ABOUT Suou. And what do you know, but Suou's story was GREAT.

Tell me what you hated about her arc? Nothing…its great writing...the only trashy thing was when they started that weird but useless encounter with Minai and her lesbian tendencies (totally out of character for the show) and the worst offender was that weird child predator arc. Like seriously, we are supposed to feel bad for that guy? Please...we only felt bad because Suou was crying.

But that is quickly foreshadowed...its great stuff. Only thing is, make sure you watched the OVA first before the Second Season.

Cheers, mates!

• Suou's story was great? I'm going to have to disagree with that.

Anyhow, The second season did not address the revelation about Hei's power from the end of the first season. When his powers are magically confiscated there is no explanation as to why he couldn't have used his powers to evade it or, given the unique situation that gives him his powers, why the power removal procedure even had any effect upon him.

Only thing is, make sure you watched the OVA first before the Second Season.

The OVAs came out after the flawed Season 2 came out so that would have been difficult for me. :)

• I watched this show several years ago, so I don't remember much about it. I should go back and re-watch. I definitely remember loving the first season, and not loving the second season.

• This is one of the first anime's i started watching since I got back into them in 2012. After watching the first couple episodes, i was hooked instantly. Now it remains still top 5 best storylines imo.