Portrayal of Ethnic Characters

• Do you feel the dub for Maria the Virgin Witch portrayed French and English characters right?

I was a little disappointed that there weren't any French accents when it came to the central cast. I heard that it was discussed at one point but they decided to go a different route. However, with the character Viv, who is English, Colleen used a thick British accent; so, all in all, this seems rather odd.

World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman had a swath of different ethnic characters. All of them used accents so this has me confused.

• well, different directors for each show, so things are gonna be different.

• Since it took place in France and had a cast comprised mostly of French, it probably made more sense to cast them as having a neutral American accent since that is what's most natural to North American viewers in terms of who's playing in their home court. An unfamiliar accent also tends to detract from a character as a hero or heroine

They did the same thing in Unbreakable Machine Doll, where the main character was Japanese but given a nondescript North American accent while all the supporting characters were decidedly British

• @Riles:

Since it took place in France and had a cast comprised mostly of French, it probably made more sense to cast them as having a neutral American accent since that is what's most natural to North American viewers in terms of who's playing in their home court. An unfamiliar accent also tends to detract from a character as a hero or heroine

They did the same thing in Unbreakable Machine Doll, where the main character was Japanese but given a nondescript North American accent while all the supporting characters were decidedly British

Interesting. I had not thought of that.

• It' an accident of localization. As mentioned above, the characters' political affiliations aren't as front and center. Given that this is a minority show with a smaller following, lavishing this much attention onto it would seem ulikely. Shame - it was a charming series, but it didn't quite have the populous baravado of GARO or the zany silliness of a more straightforward ecchi series.