Language Info is Needed for Funimation Film Releases

• I love that FunimationFilms is now releasing awesome anime films in American theaters. However, one problem I have found with the current method of release is that they are being offered in both dub and sub. This alone wouldn't be a problem, but as it stands there is no way to know which version of the film you are purchasing. I have bought tickets for the upcoming Psycho-Pass movie and it isn't listed anywhere on FunimationFilms.com, nor is it listed on Fandango or the theater's website. I have called Fandango help service but they said the theater should know. I called the theater but they didn't know. The best they could say is that they would know a few days to a week before the release which version it was. So from what I can find out, the only way to find out which version is showing is to wait till the day of and get tickets. If FunimationFilms or Fandango could release that info, then it would certainly help us out a lot. I am invested in the dub for Psycho-Pass and would be super disappointed if my tickets are for the sub version (not to mention I'm seeing it on my birthday lol).

• I'm pretty sure(though likely off) that back when Evangelion 3.33 was in theaters, it was made known ahead of time what language it was being shown in. I think the Ghost in the Shell movie did too but I'm not a fan so I didn't really pay attention to that one. Since there isn't any info on this, it's probably Funimation not giving info to the theaters.

• PsychoPass will be in English. The general rule of thumb is that a movie given a theatrical release will be English dubbed. The exception to this is for events like the Oscars. To have it be eligible for the Oscars, we premiered The Boy and the Beast theatrically in Japanese first because the English dub wasn't ready yet. Dragon Ball Z Resurrection 'F' was also premiered in Japanese first.

As for which theaters will have language information, it's really dependent upon the theater chain, but this information is sent out. However, we will also be looking into posting this information on www.funimationfilms.com.

I hope this helps. ^_^

• If you don't mind me piggy-backing off of this topic, I have my own question I'd like to pose for Sophie. How come Memphis was passed over for The Boy and the Beast when we got all the other FUNimation films? Especially since both DBZ movies sold out on all their showings?

It's just odd that we got both of the live-action AoT movies, GitS and Psycho-Pass, but not the one I was excited for the most. :(

• @Sophie:

PsychoPass will be in English. The general rule of thumb is that a movie given a theatrical release will be English dubbed. The exception to this is for events like the Oscars. To have it be eligible for the Oscars, we premiered The Boy and the Beast theatrically in Japanese first because the English dub wasn't ready yet. Dragon Ball Z Resurrection 'F' was also premiered in Japanese first.

As for which theaters will have language information, it's really dependent upon the theater chain, but this information is sent out. However, we will also be looking into posting this information on www.funimationfilms.com.

I hope this helps. ^_^

That's awesome! Thank you so much for clearing that up. That makes a lot of sense doing it that way. I am definitely happy that Psycho-Pass will be in dub. It's going to be so good!

It does, you've been very helpful :)

• @Sophie:

I just wanted to say thank you again Sophie! I see that Project Itoh: Empire of Corpses has the language listed on Funimationfilms.com, which is great! I think it helps out a lot. I really appreciate your help and dedication, as well as that of all the Funimation staff. You guys are awesome!

• @Sophie:

The exception to this is for events like the Oscars. To have it be eligible for the Oscars, we premiered The Boy and the Beast theatrically in Japanese first because the English dub wasn't ready yet.

What? Funimation even cares about such useless American; no-name, loser self promotion event? Fox News Alert right there…

• @Sophie:

PsychoPass will be in English. The general rule of thumb is that a movie given a theatrical release will be English dubbed. The exception to this is for events like the Oscars. To have it be eligible for the Oscars, we premiered The Boy and the Beast theatrically in Japanese first because the English dub wasn't ready yet. Dragon Ball Z Resurrection 'F' was also premiered in Japanese first.

I hope this helps. ^_^

Is there any places here to speak up about a theater not knowing if they are getting Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action Film Trilogy or not. I am kind of upset at the fact dragon ball z was shown and it was sold out every day of the week it was being shown i know i went.

What I want to know is if there is anyway to know earlier then what i was just told and that's call back next tusday and check but most likely they are not getting it. When in all honesty DBZ may have die hard fans that have hung around for 20+ years the same is true for a master work such as Rurouni Kenshin.

I know btw Kenshin is not as old as DBZ but the fan base is there for sure.

If I was to drop the movie theater name could you try to work some magic to get it shown here please for all the people who cant make it out to the only two places in the state at this point showing the movie.

• wow so that's how it works!
    i learned something new today :D