Funimation launching kickstarter to redub Escaflowne

• http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-27/exclusive-funimation-launches-kickstarter-to-dub-escaflowne-tv-anime-director-cut/.99141

First off, I don't remember Funi ever mentioning getting the rights to this back when they announced the titles they were getting from Bandai. And considering there's no page for it, I figured putting this in the General Forum would be okay.

The fact that the DVD version is getting screwed over pisses me off. I may not have any intention of ever buying this even if they do release it(I already own Escaflowne), but if you're going to do a new dub, it should be done all around, not just on one version. That's just a big middle finger at any DVD fans who buys the Collector's Edition(again, IF they actually do this). And if there's supposedly so much demand for it, why is there a need for a kickstarter when it isn't even needed to fund the project at all. I don't know what they're talking about with it being talked about on the forums cause I've never seen one person request anything about Escaflowne here. And considering that they barely, if ever, listen to the ideas on the forum, that all sounds like BS to me.

• yeah it does seem a bit strange. Funimation launching a kickstarter? I never thought I'd read that sentence. lol

• As someone who has no investment in the series, it's hard to say how I feel about this. I certainly don't like that Kickstarter is being used as a pre-order system and even more-so that the funding goal doesn't actually represent what it would truly take to make it happen.

That said, it's a "meh" to me given the series (and hence why I have no opinions directly about it). I'll continue waiting for my white whale.

• I don't know… I think its pretty interesting.

Generally any Funi Dub is going to be really good. So this might just be worth the money.

• Unless you're totally a music Aficionado the $175 tier is the only tier worth getting, as you get the TV series, Movie and DVD of the original dub, and it's pretty much at a discount from regular prices

• This seems to be an experiment to gauge fan stupidity because it wouldn't cost anywhere near 150k to dub this. I have this sinking feeling that if this is successful that they will start trying to make fans pay them a ridiculous amount before they dub anime that they license.

• @seikopath:

This seems to be an experiment to gauge fan stupidity because it wouldn't cost anywhere near 150k to dub this. I have this sinking feeling that if this is successful that they will start trying to make fans pay them a ridiculous amount before they dub anime that they license.

You greatly underestimate just how expensive dubs can be. $150k is actually on the low side for an English dub, especially considering they're doing all 26 episodes AND the feature film.

• @SpacemanHardy: The thing is though, they even say that it isn't needed to do this and the show isn't a risk. The way I see it, this is either an excuse to charge higher prices for it, or they're trying to gauge how many people they'd piss off by redubbing it. I grew up with Escaflowne; it was one of the first anime I ever saw and I loved it. Granted, I am a bit biased, but Escaflowne has a damn good dub and redoing the whole show just to get a couple extra scenes would be a tremendous waste of time.

• @SpacemanHardy:

You greatly underestimate just how expensive dubs can be. $150k is actually on the low side for an English dub, especially considering they're doing all 26 episodes AND the feature film.

I'll have to question this given in the interview Zac implies that $150K is a large amount, and I'll take his assumptions over most others. FUNimation does not deny his implication and provides wording to cause more ambiguity about how the number was obtained (even going so far as to say it could be less).

• Idk I think it might have more to do with costs to be honest. Even if it didn't cost that much to make, or if it did, regardless one way or the other, having a kickstarter campaign to fund the dub means that the costs are covered up front and Funimation doesn't have to worry about covering the costs and then making that money back during sales of the dvds. This just makes it easier and more profitable for Funimation. If the kickstarter fails, then they know that there is no need for the dub and they would lose money. If it does succeed, then they know that it was a good idea and the money is already there for them to be used on the dub.

• @nubguy:

Idk I think it might have more to do with costs to be honest. Even if it didn't cost that much to make, or if it did, regardless one way or the other, having a kickstarter campaign to fund the dub means that the costs are covered up front and Funimation doesn't have to worry about covering the costs and then making that money back during sales of the dvds. This just makes it easier and more profitable for Funimation. If the kickstarter fails, then they know that there is no need for the dub and they would lose money. If it does succeed, then they know that it was a good idea and the money is already there for them to be used on the dub.

In no way do I disagree with your statements, but we're talking about a corporation that has funding and even a parent company. It's not necessarily that this is a bad business decision, but rather the appearance of it. Kickstarter is meant to be a platform for those without the funds to get them to make something happen. It's not supposed to mitigate risk. The real kicker here is that FUNimation will lose some of their funding to processing fees and Kickstarter fees.

• I personally think there's a pretty strong possibility that the decision to use Kickstarter may partially be that of Sunrise too. I understand the appeal of wanting fan say in the matter but it's just…a very odd decision. Only thing that I really feel should be changed about the Kickstarter or maybe ADDED on is the possibility of also adding the original dub to the Standard DVD/BD combopack too, instead of just the fancy Kickstarter CE. That's just my opinion so people can have it both ways.

Never seen the show or dub so I can't really complain but this is what it is. Hopefully it gets funded and hopefully it turns out to be a pretty solid dub. Least all of us here can expect pretty decent quality from Funimation actors/directors at this point. I'd be VERY surprised if this turned out to be like Wakfu.

• @seikopath:

This seems to be an experiment to gauge fan stupidity because it wouldn't cost anywhere near 150k to dub this

It actually runs around $7.000 - $10,000 / episode so between $185,000 - $260.000 to dub it. The Pricing is actually comparable to what you would be paying anyway for the set, so the kickstarter is more for Funimation to gauge Fan interest

• @Series5Ranger:

It actually runs around $7.000 - $10,000 / episode so between $185,000 - $260.000 to dub it. The Pricing is actually comparable to what you would be paying anyway for the set, so the kickstarter is more for Funimation to gauge Fan interest

You didn't read the ANN interview the guy giving the interview even told them that it wouldn't cost that much and funi didn't deny it and even did a 180 and agreed that it wouldn't be that much.

• Hooray, another established company preying on its community to fund its goods and services

• @seikopath:

You didn't read the ANN interview the guy giving the interview even told them that it wouldn't cost that much and funi didn't deny it and even did a 180 and agreed that it wouldn't be that much.

It seemed more like they dodged the question, then when asked how specifically the money would be spent, they noted they could not due to contracts, and basically gave a "could be more, could be less, but we can't tell you" response.

From what little we know on how much it takes to dub a whole episode, it does not seem to be a bad number. Now if they were to just dub the new scenes, that would be another story…

• @SpacemanHardy:

The film isn't getting a redub.

• The amount isn't in question. It's the use of the Kickstarter platform by a multi-million dollar US distribution corporation, of which has the backing of a parent company. It's understandable, Funimation is looking for creative ways to 'gauge customer interests" in this particular title, but there are other ways of doing so. A corporation that relies on a platformed created and targeted towards small/niche projects investors normally wouldn't back, to push it's projects interests comes off as a bit sleazy on Funimation's part.

Overall I see the appeal of this tactic from a corporate stand point. It's a great way to gauge interest via fans showing their interest by throwing money at this corporation, even before a finished product is introduced (i.e. money talks, bs walks). In addition, this can be a great way to generate buzz and media coverage, assuming the initial minuscule goal is exceeded by at least 100%. I predict even more hype behind the idea if the goal is met within hours (even minutes) of the Kickstater project going live. This would likely create a social buzz within the anime community, of which, could push more money to the project before its deadline.

This can be turnout to be an ultimate win for Funimation, assuming this pans out correctly. Not only will Funimation NOT have to invest their own corporate money into the project, they will eventually hold a book of guaranteed pre-order sales. While I see the appeal of Kickstarter, this looks very sleazy. This reminds me of Disney asking it's 'rank and file' employees to help fund its political SuperPAC. Or better the yet, this reminds me of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. What was once believed to be a small gaming company asking its fans to 'support the project' is actually two multi-billion dollar global gaming companies asking fans to humbly invest in their project. (Sony and Sega, for those who were wondering)

• . . . the size of the company has nothing to do with whether or not it's a good idea for them to put money into a project that might not make that money back, or whether or not they should take an opportunity to gauge interest and get paid upfront.

US anime distribution is not that profitable. Most shows do not make back what they put into it. It does cost that much to make a dub - they said that was on the low end, even. If FUNi does have "multi-millions" in assets, that doesn't necessarily mean they routinely make a profit. That means that their license for, say, Dragonball Z, would be worth approximately that much to someone who wanted to buy it, if they were willing and able to sell it, which they are not doing. That has nothing to do with the profitability of re-dubbing a 1990's series.

If you read the interview, it really looks like they're between a rock and a hard place. They can not use the old dub on any blurays because it does not match up to the remastered and recut video. Their choice besides this is to release a DVD with the old dub and sub-only blurays.

This seems to be a peculiar situation, but actually, opening the door to their use of kickstarter is not a bad thing. It's ridiculous to say that just because they have the resources to take the risk (or so it appears to you, regardless of whether or not it's true), that means they're obligated to take that risk, and that only companies that can't sustain the risk have the right to use kickstarter.
    So let's say there's some really cool piece of merchandise that someone sees a way to make. They could decide it's too great a risk and not do it. Or they can produce a thousand units, announce it, and see only 200 get sold, and be stuck with the rest, and have lost a ton of money. They're not going to risk that. That would be stupid, regardless of the size of the company. If they can mitigate that risk, how is that not better for everyone for them to do that? (unless you've never taken economics 101, that is)
    It's not like they're eating up a limited amount of Kickstarter funds. It's not like some "little guy" with a great game idea is going to not be able to do a kickstarter because FUNi does one.
    People just want to complain about everything.

• How I see it, they would be at a risk if they didn't do the kickstarter. They could risk losing a fair amount of money, so they need to see the interest of the fans. It seems that the price on the kickstarter is the retail price for the collection when it comes out, so in a sense it is preoderering it. For me I have never heard of this series before, so I doubt I'll pledge anything, but if I was a fan of the series I would buy the $175 tier in a heart beat.

Edit: One thing though that does annoy me about this is that for the $125 tier you get the special kickstarter edition and on the $175 you get the normal collectors edition that isn't exclusive to the kickstarter, which is kinda annoying.

• @ForlornBeliever:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-27/exclusive-funimation-launches-kickstarter-to-dub-escaflowne-tv-anime-director-cut/.99141

First off, I don't remember Funi ever mentioning getting the rights to this back when they announced the titles they were getting from Bandai.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2013/08/10/multiple-announcements-from-funimation-at-otakon/

It is the 3rd item on the second list.