Is tokyo ghoul season 3 coming out?

• i would really like to know since I'm really obsessed with the anime

• currently a new season has not been announced

• It hasn't been announced yet, but don't worry. There's pretty much no way there won't be a season 3. It probably won't be till 2017 though.

• show sold very poorly in Japan, so I would be so certain about a third season

• I was hearing that there was going to be a season 3 but it would not be based off of the manga it would kind of be a filler/backstory of some of the characters at least until they can manage to get more manga volumes published.

• @thadeadlyvirus:

I was hearing that there was going to be a season 3 but it would not be based off of the manga it would kind of be a filler/backstory of some of the characters at least until they can manage to get more manga volumes published.

Honestly, that's pretty much what Root A turned into. :hmm:

As for a season 3, there is currently no news at this time. There was a big hubbub a few months ago when Gen Fukunaga said something about a third season, but it turned out that he was just talking out his butt.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Honestly, that's pretty much what Root A turned into. :hmm:

As for a season 3, there is currently no news at this time. There was a big hubbub a few months ago when Gen Fukunaga said something about a third season, but it turned out that he was just talking out his butt.

lol wasn't it a Tokyo Ghoul pachinko machine instead?

@thadeadlyvirus:

I was hearing that there was going to be a season 3 but it would not be based off of the manga it would kind of be a filler/backstory of some of the characters at least until they can manage to get more manga volumes published.

If you want some more Tokyo Ghoul, there are two OVAs out now. Tokyo Ghoul: Jack and Tokyo Ghoul: Pinto.

• I certainly hope not. Root A was garbage. If anything it needs a reboot. Preferably by Studio Madhouse or Studio Bones.

• What did you find so garbage about it >_<

• @Anthony:

What did you find so garbage about it >_<

As a manga reader and anime viewer I don't even know where to begin.

The first season was decent. They could've have fixed a few things later on.

Root A was just atrocious. Even though it could've have been good despite being "anime original" they threw out the author's drafts for the second season. It was basically a hollow shell of the the manga. As far as the plot goes, they completely changed some arcs of the manga while keeping in other parts so many of the episodes didn't make sense. Some of the events that occurred weren't even explained well or at all. The things that would have at least been cool to see animated were removed or changed.

The characters were also messed with and some were completely left out. Kaneki for example was represented as an angst filled, emo character. Tsukiyama's character development was thrown out the window completely. Touka was running for 3 whole episodes only for it to amount to nothing.

The pacing was really bad. I mean the last episode involved a ten minute walk for crying out loud.

The animation quality also dropped at somepoint. It was pretty evident in episode 4.

The only good thing about Root A was the music honestly.

• I never understood why people wanted it to be animated by Bones or Madhouse. The animation would probably be better, especially in the fighting scenes, but idk to me Tokyo Ghoul wasn't really about the fighting sequences or being a horror spectacle. It was really more of an extremely well-directed character drama. The last episode of Root A was especially brilliant. The show occasionally stumbled but if the director and writer can make more of it and keep it as good as that last episode I'm waiting.

I'm completely going off the anime, btw.

• @vhernandez:

I never understood why people wanted it to be animated by Bones or Madhouse. The animation would probably be better, especially in the fighting scenes, but idk to me Tokyo Ghoul wasn't really about the fighting sequences or being a horror spectacle. It was really more of an extremely well-directed character drama. The last episode of Root A was especially brilliant. The show occasionally stumbled but if the director and writer can make more of it and keep it as good as that last episode I'm waiting.

I'm completely going off the anime, btw.

No Tokyo Ghoul is not a dark shounen like the anime may have some believe. It's a psychological, horror seinen. However, It's hard to direct a character drama when the studio can't even get the characters or plot-line right. I also disagree on the last episode. It was by far one of the worst. A huge chunk of the episode was wasted on one pointless scene, the entire continuity of the series was screwed up, and Touka didn't do anything. The show stumbled more than once for sure. I honestly can't comprehend how you think it's good, but if you want to discuss it, I at least suggest you read the source material and then tell me if you still think Root A is brilliant.

The reason people want it animated by Bones and/or Madhouse is because they want to see the series get a proper adaptation that does it justice. Both of the aforementioned studios have been proven to have a very reliable track record.

• I was searching for 3rd season today and they say it shoul be released at winter later this year. Also, it will be produced not by Studio Perriot but Madhouse Entertainment. It's because fans complained about season 2 (I don't know why; I loved it!).

• @iJabuka998:

I was searching for 3rd season today and they say it shoul be released at winter later this year. Also, it will be produced not by Studio Perriot but Madhouse Entertainment. It's because fans complained about season 2 (I don't know why; I loved it!).

wouldn't trust wherever you read that from. there's been no official announcement from any new credible news source that reports new shows and seasons.

• @TheBlackKnight I know that this comment was quite old, but I just have to put this out there because I don't want people who read this forum to take anything you say to heart. I respect your opinion and all, but I disagree with everything you have said. Root A IS brilliant. I'm not saying it is perfect, but out of all of the anime I have watched, Tokyo Ghoul is my favorite. I even read the manga (which is unusual for me). You said that the best part of Root A was the music, which made me laugh, because that was the worst part. Tokyo Ghoul first season's was much better. I think you can have whatever opinion you want, but don't put other people down for having an opinion. You said that Tokyo Ghoul Root A could have been good DESPITE being anime original. Honestly, to me it just sounds like you are biased because it doesn't follow the manga. It is like a book. Just because a movie doesn't follow the book doesn't mean it is shit. No movie could put even close everything a book has in it. And this is coming from an avid book reader. I know they change a lot, but that is what ANIME ORIGINAL means. I like the Kaneki in the anime 1000 times better than the manga. And as far as psychological animes go, this one is by far one of the best. I like it better than all the psychological animes all the way from Code Geass to Serial Experiments of Lain. And this is coming from someone who is going to college to become a psychologist. So yeah, Root A, (Tokyo Ghoul in general) is a great series IN MY OPINION, and I can't wait for the Third Season - if there ever is one.

• IMO I do not see how you can go into a season 3 where Root A ends. I am a fan of root A despite its flaws. I know Ishida-sensei had a vision for his what if story but sadly it got cut up by the studio resulting in the messy but somewhat poignant s2.

However due to certain elements of season 2 the transition to season 3, which I would assume would adapt Tokyo Ghoul: Re would be nigh impossible without retconning a majority of s2 out of existance. There are certain events that must take place, certain characters must interact and not die as well as other highly manga spoiler territory issues that must happen.

However I will highly agree that ghouls biggest flaw was that it was not treated like the senin it is. The anime, while I adore it, did take out a lot of quite and impactful moments that were more psychological and though provoking. I also agree that Touka' s character did get downgraded from the complex character she is in the manga but it pales in comparison in how Tsukiyama was neutered to become a gag character.