Can you guys relicense fullmetal alchemist brotherhood

• Is there a way to renewal the anime full metal alchemist from starstriker197

• Sadly, they have already tried to relicense it. The details on why they could not are hazy at best. Most people seem to think Ani is taking its ball and going home. :(

There is a chance they could relicense it again in the future, but this is unlikely to ever happen.

• They may not be able to relicense it, but they may be able to get a streaming contract for it. (Which is part of the reason they are now showing newer Aniplex streams on the site to build the relationship) Just don't expect it to be available on Home Video from Funimation ever again

• They probably won't be getting streaming rights back either. Aniplex is gathering their titles back into the fold of Aniplex America and are cutting Funimation out of at least dubs.

• So does that mean that aniplex gets the English dubs for fma: brotherhood as well. I don't know if this is me being shallow but, it seems a bit unfair that a great show that became even greater due to the funimation dubs gets taken away.

• @hooin_kyoma:

So does that mean that aniplex gets the English dubs for fma: brotherhood as well. I don't know if this is me being shallow but, it seems a bit unfair that a great show that became even greater due to the funimation dubs gets taken away.

If what happened with Baccano! is any indication, then Aniplex will retain rights to the dub of FMA after FUNimation's rights expire.

So AoA could potentially re-release the show or put it up on another streaming site in both sub and dub if they wanted to.

• @SpacemanHardy:

If what happened with Baccano! is any indication, then Aniplex will retain rights to the dub of FMA after FUNimation's rights expire.

So AoA could potentially re-release the show or put it up on another streaming site in both sub and dub if they wanted to.

Wait I though FUNimation's own FMB and FMA dubbing rights? So Aniplex own it now?

• @gohan6425:

Wait I though FUNimation's own FMB and FMA dubbing rights? So Aniplex own it now?

Yes. Pretty much.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Yes. Pretty much.

How? I though Funimation had the leasae rights to it from the Japan Company?

• This post is deleted!

• Aniplex owns the dub for FMA: B as per the contract. Japan generally gets the rights to the dub after the contract expires. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but usually this is standard across the industry.

So, when one company rescues a title, the dub comes with it and the new company doesn't have to make a new dub.

• @Sophie:

Aniplex owns the dub for FMA: B as per the contract. Japan generally gets the rights to the dub after the contract expires. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but usually this is standard across the industry.

So, when one company rescues a title, the dub comes with it and the new company doesn't have to make a new dub.

So Aniplex own the dub but let Funimation dub it? And now Aniplex is taken it away since that own it fully now?

• @gohan6425:

So that own the dub but let Funimationdub it?

Yes. Dubs are subcontracted out.

FUNimation makes it. Aniplex owns it.

• @SpacemanHardy:

And now that the contract is expiring, and Aniplex did not want to renew it, Funi can no longer do anything with the show. All rights revert bac to Ani to do….Whatever it is they are going to do.

• @gohan6425:

So Aniplex own the dub but let Funimation dub it? And now Aniplex is taken it away since that own it fully now?

Yes, Aniplex of Japan would own the dub. Typically when series rights expire, dub rights revert to the Japanese.

• It's like deja vu all over again.

cows.

• @SpacemanHardy:

So it basically what FUNimation did to Ocean back in the 90's for dub of Dragonball Z? So what going to happen if there is a new fullmetal alchemist brotherhood movie or a new series comes out? There going to recast everyone like FUNimation did for Dragonball Z after season 2 was over?

• @gohan6425:

So it basically what FUNimation did to Ocean back in the 90's for dub of Dragonball Z? So what going to happen if there is a new fullmetal alchemist brotherhood movie or a new series comes out? There going to recast everyone like FUNimation did for Dragonball Z after season 2 was over?

Honestly I'd say at this point Fullmetal Alchemist is now done. Outside of maybe another movie project maybe, but after FMA Brotherhood they REALLY don't need to make another anime series. I am very satisfied with FMA Brotherhood, and am happy I now own all of it on DVD/BD before the rights expire.

• @classyspartan:

Honestly I'd say at this point Fullmetal Alchemist is now done. Outside of maybe another movie project maybe, but after FMA Brotherhood they REALLY don't need to make another anime series. I am very satisfied with FMA Brotherhood, and am happy I now own all of it on DVD/BD before the rights expire.

Well I would think Aniplex would re-release them on DVD/BD… I not that much of a big fan of FM or FMB Fan... But I think this is a very interested situation... I wonder if CN and AS still own the TV rights still to show it?

• @gohan6425:

Well I would think Aniplex would re-release them on DVD/BD… I not that much of a big fan of FM or FMB Fan... But I think this is a very interested situation... I wonder if CN and AS still own the TV rights still to show it?

No idea whether or not Aniplex will re-release FMA or not. If it DOES plan on doing that though, expect it to be MUCH more expensive than it currently is.

As for TV rights I think that CN/AS no longer has those. I mean they let it air for like 5 years before it went off the air so it was a while. But they probably don't have them anymore.

• @classyspartan:

No idea whether or not Aniplex will re-release FMA or not. If it DOES plan on doing that though, expect it to be MUCH more expensive than it currently is.

As for TV rights I think that CN/AS no longer has those. I mean they let it air for like 5 years before it went off the air so it was a while. But they probably don't have them anymore.

That where airing it on Toonami just like 2 years ago before that cut down on the time from 6:00am to 3:30am eastern time… So I still think that do... But I don't know... Anyone can mostly get in on Ebay still... So it not that much of a big deal...