Dagashi Kashi Dub….

• Ok perfect voice for Kokonatsu…
    I know that voice and he really fits the character. Plays the perfect wimpy straight man in the comedy routine. He just does it so well... its the same voice for Kenji in Aria of the Scarlet Ammo and he just does it perfectly...

Kokonatsu's Father: Another good choice for the voice, he fits strangely perfect here too.

Shidare: I don't recognize her voice right off the bat, that said she doesn't do too bad of a job with it. Though she's doesn't come off as loopy enough or as over the top. She's close... very close... just a little more effort on her part and she'll nail it.

Saya: again nailed it on the voice work. Fits like a glove.

• Episode 2…. holy crap this one was hilarious in the English version...

You know the JP version was ok but this time Shidare in the EN version really nailed it... she really sounded like the loony crazy chick that easily competed with the JP version.

But really.... what makes this is Todd Haberkorn as Kononatsu. He tops the JP voice actor (who also does really well) in this character. In the JP version I watch it for Shidare... but I this one.. Todd is so hilarious its like watching Kenji again Aria of the Scarlett Ammo. his snide remarks and resignation come off perfectly. Even the hilarious part where he's voicing the candy.

I think I was on the verge of tears on this one.

• Yeah I'm really digging Hotaru's English VA a lot. Level of crazy I always felt that the Japanese Seiyu was missing personally and she delivers in spades. Been really enjoying it a lot.

• Score one more for Funimation Productions…

• I'm just glad it's dubbed

• Voice acting is good imo, though after watching the anime for the first time is… Could be better. People are telling me this anime is great and so far it seems pretty meh.

• @yuki_narukami:

Voice acting is good imo, though after watching the anime for the first time is… Could be better. People are telling me this anime is great and so far it seems pretty meh.

THis is kinda of "a goth" like anime or something: The logic behind it is very twisted. If you like more conventional layout (lets say Fairy Tail) then this one may be hard to appreciate the nuances nonetheless.

• @thegrandalliance:

THis is kinda of "a goth" like anime or something: The logic behind it is very twisted. If you like more conventional layout (lets say Fairy Tail) then this one may be hard to appreciate the nuances nonetheless.

Fairy Tail sucks though
    I guess people telling me it was good, made me have high standards for this anime. Which it does not live up to, I'll keep watching it mainly due to the fact that I hate dropping anime, but so far I personally would give it a 6/10

• just curious, but did you ask why the people you know like it?

• Idk…. but IMO the character of Hotaru is annoying, and that's 90% because of the sounds coming out of my screen. I'm not saying the VA is bad, but the nasily high pitched upper-Midwest accent is damn near unbearable. I seriously expect a "youbetcha" or "dontchaknow" to come out every time the character speaks. I thought the show was set in Japan, not Mine-soh-tah.

And that's a problem. Characters should have variety, and emotion and all that, but they shouldn't sound like they are from anywhere, specifically anywhere particular in the US when the character is not American.

• @dougswisher:

Idk…. but IMO the character of Hotaru is annoying, and that's 90% because of the sounds coming out of my screen. I'm not saying the VA is bad, but the nasily high pitched upper-Midwest accent is damn near unbearable. I seriously expect a "youbetcha" or "dontchaknow" to come out every time the character speaks. I thought the show was set in Japan, not Mine-soh-tah.

And that's a problem. Characters should have variety, and emotion and all that, but they shouldn't sound like they are from anywhere, specifically anywhere particular in the US when the character is not American.

I'm not sure that's a very valid criticism.

You hear characters in anime dubs all the time with either an east coast or west coast accent… which is pretty much doing the same thing. And being that this one takes place in a small town in Japan rather than Tokyo... it actually fits better than listening to someone from New Jersey.

That said...

It is true that some will not get this anime... honestly there's no real story, and its just pointless humor and candy culture/history from Japan.

Its not going to be known for its depth... so if this is the reason one were watching... well this is definitely not the anime for you. Its just a pointless comedy... which means you watch it for the brain dead , lighter humor.

• I like the series just fine, but that VA choice makes the whole thing just "ok."

I get what you are saying about people with east/west coast accents, but heavy New Jersey/New York/Boston accents aside (which are also distracting in a lot of cases) they are at least more generic than the also very distinguishable upper-Midwest and Southern accents.

We've been spoiled for the last 5-10 years with series starring some of the best the business has ever seen. Go and listen to some of the biggest and most successful VAs. You'll notice they all are not only unique in their approach, but their voices are generic enough that you'd have to "know" where they are from to know. Sure, most of them have done characters that called for accents, but otherwise they just haven't let any really come through, and the characters they voiced were more believable for it.

However, listen to this new wave of VAs that is being employed (by everyone, not just Funimation) and many of them you can either tell straight out where they are from, or if you listen closely you can at least tell they are trying to not have it be obvious. Perhaps this is just a difference of experience versus beginner, but it is what it is.

Also, it doesn't help the case that there are hundreds of series out there where either the setting is supposed to be a small and/or "country" town, or there are characters that are supposed to be "from the country" and yet none of the characters sound like they are from the South. The same goes for the settings and the characters that are supposed to be the "big city" and yet nobody is running around sounding like some LA brat or some generic New Englander. As far as I know, nobody complains when characters don't have ridiculous accents.

I actually believe Hoturu isn't supposed to sound like she lives in the woods north of Minneapolis, but the VA can't hold it in when she gets excited doing the role (it's definitely more obvious when the character is excited).

But that being said, if the character is supposed to sound like that, then I not only apologize to the VA, but now I have to question Funimation's choices.

• The VA is getting a lot of hate, so I'd like to put my vote in of support for the VA choices. I think Hotaru's VA is doing a great job. In fact, I enjoy her inflections quite a bit as I don't usually hear VA like that in anime. I understand what you're saying about it not sounding like the original and being able to hear those distinguishable accents. However, I'd argue that some artistic liberty is a good thing when making the dub.

• except I'm not talking about sounding like the original. I could care less about the Japanese dub.

• @dougswisher:

except I'm not talking about sounding like the original. I could care less about the Japanese dub.

Well man… if that's the real reason... if you just hate people from the Midwest and the South... well that's on you...

Not me... I am not getting caught up in that kind of pettiness.

• I don't hate people from the Midwest or South. I don't even know how in the hell you got that out of my posts.

What I DON'T LIKE is English dubs where characters have accents that make no sense whatsoever. Japan doesn't have native people that are American Deep South or American Upper Midwest, or New Yorkers or Bostonians, etc., so those accents have no reason to ever be blatantly obvious.

The odds that a person named Hotaru Shidare would exist in "real life" and sound like an extra from the movie Fargo are astronomical, so why dub a character to sound like that? And before anyone can say it, no, I'm not suggesting every dub should feature people speaking broken English with a Japanese accent either, because that would also be stupid. Yes you have to and get to take some liberties when casting for a dub, but that still doesn't make it logical to give a character a distinct American regional accent.

• @dougswisher:

Japan doesn't have native people that are American Deep South or American Upper Midwest, or New Yorkers or Bostonians, etc., so those accents have no reason to ever be blatantly obvious.

Yes they do. Anime uses them pretty liberally, both with dialects (Kansai, Osaka, etc) and foreigners who speak Japanese as a second language. I think it makes a lot less sense to simply ignore an accent than to give them what's the equivalent to a country bumpkin out in the sticks, or in this case, an overbearing city girl

• no, they don't. They have people that speak varying dialects, true, but it would be physically impossible for a native Japanese person to be a native Texan. The same goes for my other examples. Yes they have foreigners that speak Japanese as a second language, but they aren't Native Japanese people.

And to say that it doesn't make sense to not give someone an accent equivalent, then I suppose you would tell me that all of the voices in Persona 4 are wrong? What about No-Rin? Those series didn't have the "country people" speaking like they just came off the cattle ranch, so was that wrong? What about Hideki from Chobits? He WAS a farmer from the sticks, and yet Crispin Freeman didn't voice him like Yosemite Sam. Are you going to say that one of the best anime series of all time was wrong?

• Than all VAs are doing it wrong than. They should, by that logic, only sound like people born in Japan that have moved to America. You know, the people who you can tell they are from Japan because of the way they speak.

Also, not exactly on topic, but there is this dude:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_3xxQXgFs

• This article says that in Japan, there are several dialects, or ways of speaking the same language (which includes different accents, grammar, and sometimes words). People in Japan who are farmers and country folk usually speak the Tohoku dialect, which is the hardest dialect to understand. Even many native Japanese people have a hard time understanding this dialect. So, perhaps it's not such a stretch to give a dub character a country accent.

http://www.tofugu.com/japanese/tohoku-dialect/

• I mean, if you want to make me think a person is a farmer or a country bumken give them an accent that matches.