Is there a bidding war for license anime here in American Companies?

• Is there a bidding war for license anime here in American Companies? Before I even start here lets name the 4 big time players who licenses anime here in American… First obviously Funimation :), Viz Media, Sentai, and Aniplex (let me know if I missed one). Also 4Kids aka 4K Media (as its called now) own by Konami is pretty much dead in the water at this point so I not counting them here... Though 4 are the biggest and most well known Anime American Companies that license anime... Do that had bidding wars ever? If there a title that both wanted? How does it work? How would one get the license from the other?

• Probably more like bidding skirmishes these days.

• @TIL:

Probably more like bidding skirmishes these days.

What does that mean?

• I think FUNimation and Viz Media were competing over Sailor Moon… with Viz Media being the victor.

• Definitely not like it used to be back in the day. There would be times that parts of the same anime franchise would end up with different companies. Which isn't so bad until we get into stuff being dubbed.

• @LuckySeven:

Definitely not like it used to be back in the day. There would be times that parts of the same anime franchise would end up with different companies. Which isn't so bad until we get into stuff being dubbed.

Free says "Hi".

• @gamergoku:

I think FUNimation and Viz Media were competing over Sailor Moon… with Viz Media being the victor.

Yeah I knew about that one…

• @SpacemanHardy:

Free says "Hi".

Wait what is that for?

• @LuckySeven:

Definitely not like it used to be back in the day. There would be times that parts of the same anime franchise would end up with different companies. Which isn't so bad until we get into stuff being dubbed.

Wait what do you mean?

• @gohan6425:

Wait what is that for?

Free's one of those rare examples they were talking about ACTUALLY coming to be.

Basically there's this anime by Kyoto Anime called Free! which is about swimming and stuff. Season 1 was simulcasted by Crunchyroll, and they apparently also possessed the rights to the physical DVD distribution too. On the other hand while they also did simulcast Season 2, Funimation ALSO got to simulcast it and also got the DVD/physical rights for Season 2. So right now Season 1 on DVD is DVD only with no dub, Season 2 has a really nice DVD/BD combo and Collector's Edition WITH A DUB.

Story gets even more confusing when it turns out that Season 1 is NOW also dubbed with the same cast and crew as Season 2, but is only available on Crunchyroll. It's one of the rare actual examples of bidding license disputes.

• @classyspartan:

Free's one of those rare examples they were talking about ACTUALLY coming to be.

Basically there's this anime by Kyoto Anime called Free! which is about swimming and stuff. Season 1 was simulcasted by Crunchyroll, and they apparently also possessed the rights to the physical DVD distribution too. On the other hand while they also did simulcast Season 2, Funimation ALSO got to simulcast it and also got the DVD/physical rights for Season 2. So right now Season 1 on DVD is DVD only with no dub, Season 2 has a really nice DVD/BD combo and Collector's Edition WITH A DUB.

Story gets even more confusing when it turns out that Season 1 is NOW also dubbed with the same cast and crew as Season 2, but is only available on Crunchyroll. It's one of the rare actual examples of bidding license disputes.

So does Funimation own the show or does Free own it?

• @gohan6425:

So does Funimation own the show or does Free own it?

Free is the name of the show. Funimation owns and dubbed season 2, and Crunchryoll owns and dubbed season 1.

• @Firefly:

Free is the name of the show. Funimation owns and dubbed season 2, and Crunchryoll owns and dubbed season 1.

So that have different Voices Actors for Season 1 and 2?

• @gohan6425:

So that have different Voices Actors for Season 1 and 2?

No. Season 2 was dubbed first by Funi. Season 1 was dubbed after season 2 but used the same cast.

• @priestesstyrande:

No. Season 2 was dubbed first by Funi. Season 1 was dubbed after season 2 but used the same cast.

I though Crunchryoll own season 1 though?

• yup, they do

• @Getchman:

yup, they do

So then how can Funimation dub season 1 if Crunchryoll own the rights to season 1 of Free… Right?

• @gohan6425:

So then how can Funimation dub season 1 if Crunchryoll own the rights to season 1 of Free… Right?

Funimation didn't dub season 1. They have only dubbed season 2.

CR dubbed Season 1 because they own the rights to it, though they used the same voice Actors.

• @gohan6425:

We don't know the specifics just yet. It's possible that Crunchy hired Chris Sabat's Okratron studio to record it.

• @SpacemanHardy:

We don't know the specifics just yet. It's possible that Crunchy hired Chris Sabat's Okratron studio to record it.

Really? I though Chris Sabat's and the voice actor from Funimation only work for Funimation?

• @gohan6425:

Really? I though Chris Sabat's and the voice actor from Funimation only work for Funimation?

Nope. Chris does all sorts of projects through his own studio, like voice acting for games, commercials, etc.

And none of the actors only work at FUNimation. Most of them have full-time careers and really only do anime on the side. Anime voice acting pays far too little to actually make an entire career off of.