What's up with FunimationNow?

• Hey, everybody!

We have a really good thread going on over in the Subscriber Forum all about the upcoming FunimationNow. Here are all of the questions and their answers. Please feel free to ask more questions as I'll be answering everything I can right here.

First, some housekeeping!

The questions have been broken into two posts because we have a 10,000 character limit per post. Some questions have been edited for length or combined with others. The same goes for my responses. The order of the questions is nearly in the same order as how they were asked, but I can go through and organize them if anyone would like.

Be sure to check out www.funimationnow.com to see a demo of our updated service coming soon!

Without further ado…

Q&A Part 1

1. Will the updates be available the first day of February/May or some undisclosed time during those months?

• Some undisclosed time during those months. September October-ish
    2. Will current subscribers be carried over to the new streaming service?

• Yes, they will. ^_^
    3. Will the PS4 app still work at the transition?

• Yes, and it will be updated. We wouldn't forget about PS4. ~_^ Yes, it should. It may or may not be updated, but the existing app should still work.
    4. Other than the rebrand and new Apps what else is different compared to All-Access?

• The perks you have now as an All-AccessPass member are what you'll have on FunimationNow at launch as far as I know, but more will be added.
    5. Will we get a cross-device queue that will remember what episode we left off on? I do a lot of watching on my tablet at night and more watching during the day through the PC.

• You certainly will.
    6. What about Roku app does it get update also?

• Yes. It gets a facelift and history sync. History sync will open up a lot more functionality like displaying the episode you are on by default in a list of episodes.
    7. Will we still pay the same subscription price with the new service?

• Pricing could change in the future, but for now, it is staying the same. Other plan options could also open up down the line. It's the same service - just a facelift + more device support. This answer could be true even without the name change and the rebranding.
    8. So is that to say that those of us who are already subscribers can just use our current login credentials from the original funimation site to access funimationnow.com?

• Yes, you'll be able to use your current login credentials if you are already a user regardless of role or access level. The only thing I'm not sure of, actually, is what the main site URL will be. I THINK that funimationnow.com will remain a micro site and update as time goes by, but the full site will always be at www.funimation.com.
      • Basically, think of this as a Funimation.com overhaul. You won't be doing anything different post launch.
    9. Will there be a queue or list where we can put shows or movies we want to watch?

• Yep!
    10. Will there be an easy place the find what I have watched most recently?

*   Yep!

1. Will it organize the shows by season?
    *   Yep! We actually have all of those features now, just not on every device and not always easy to find. However, all of those features will be on FunimationNow across all devices and, hopefully, much easier to find. -_-;
    *   Splitting Profile and Account has caused some confusion, so they'll be combined on FunimationNow. In fact, there really won't be a public facing Profile section for users anymore. You'll just have a private account section where you'll be able to find all your settings, account information, payment stuff, Queue, and Watch History. I think a separate page for Forum is being built, so that you'll be able to access a list of all your posts.

1. Will soft subs be implemented and, therefore, fix many color issues with the streaming service?
    *   Not at launch, but yes, soft subs will be implemented soon after.

1. Any plans for a official kodi plugin ? or help/support for the unofficial plugin ?
    *   None as far as I know. We don't officially support it and weren't involved with its development, so I don't know how kosher helping with it would be, but I'll let the powers that be know. I'm a little wary only because we wouldn't really be able to assist users if they encounter issues like we do with our official apps.

1. Will there be an option for switching between cut and uncut versions, and will episodes be organized by seasons?
    *   Yes and yes. Episodes are actually already organized by season on the current site and in the console apps. The player has a season navigator and you can see the season breakdown on show sites here: [www.funimation.com/shows/black-butler/about](www.funimation.com/shows/black-butler/about) or here [http://www.funimation.com/shows/black-butler/videos/episodes](http://www.funimation.com/shows/black-butler/videos/episodes)

• Q & A Part 2

1. Will there be a new Funimation intro in all the new shows when the site launches? (The 5 second animation video that shows your logo on almost every video on this site) Do you plan to include the new Funimation logo on future home video releases as well?

• Eventually, there should be going by previous logo changes.
    2. What changes will be made to the forum when the site launches if there will be any?

• That is still being discussed. I'm in favor of condensing the number of sub-forums we have, but I'm open to suggestions.
    3. Will there be a feature where you can add a queue of dubbed series that would be added to your watching queue if and when they are dubbed?

• That already exists actually.
      • You can add any show to your Queue even if it has no episodes yet or if it only has episodes in one language. The shows in your Queue are updated as new episodes are added.
      • FunimationNow will have notifications for when a show has new episodes in your language preference as well. However, this will not be available at launch.
      • When the feature is available, if you'd rather shows without dubs not be in your Queue until they have dubbed episodes, you'll be able to request to be notified when a show has new dubbed episodes, and then you can add the show to your Queue at that time.
    4. Will there be Android Tv support?

• Android TV is not planned yet as far as I know.
    5. What boxes will do 4K Funimation service?

• No Funimation content is 4K because anime isn't being made in that resolution yet. Your box would be upscaling most likely. When Japan makes 4K anime, we'll be ready and/or if we upscale content, the service will be able to handle it.
    6. Will dubbed episodes be released on FunimationNow before or after the DVD/Blu-ray releases happen?

• I can only speak to functionality, not scheduling. I'm sorry that I can't provide this information. You can put in a ticket at www.funimation.com/support, though, so that we can make sure it gets forwarded to the correct department, though.
    7. Will there be user statistics being added to user forum profile for others to view (if they allow it) (Series watched, episodes watched, recently watched, etc.)? Will there be trophies?

• We will have an opt-in leaderboard of sorts that will cover all that, but it won't be available at launch.
    8. Will the forum be redesigned? Will the redesign include a section in the homepage of the forum that shows the staff that are currently online?

9. Will the social system on the forum be updated and improved? (Following people and commenting on profiles and liking or disliking posts)

• I can add more social stuff to the forum, but I want to avoid rep. I've seen that destroy forums.
    10. Will there be notifications for quoted posts or being mentioned (Ex: @Broko)?

*   Notifications were actually going to be added before FunimationNow became a thing, so that is definitely planned. I'm going to try to have that ready for launch, but it may have to go up post launch.

1. What exactly is this new streaming service? As well as when will it be in effect? Which system is going to get to streaming service first?
    *   The new service is a massive overhaul of the current service. It's basically an update and a name change. This is why existing subscribers don't have to do anything and why there is a link to sign up now at [www.funimationnow.com](www.funimationnow.com). That site just redirects to to this site.
    *   US February:
    *   New device apps for Apple TV app, iOS, Android mobile and tablet, Windows 10 Universal app, Amazon Kindle, and Amazon Fire TV.
    *   New update mobile apps will include Chromecast and Airplay support.
    *   US May:
    *   Completely overhauled and new website with some added features and improved functionality that includes responsive design.
    *   New site will include Chromecast and Airplay support.
    *   App updates for PS3, PS4, Roku, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
    *   UK February:
    *   Website (Almost exactly like the one the US is getting in May, but a few features may be missing due to territory restrictions).
        Apps for iOS, Android mobile and tablet, Windows 10 Universal, Amazon Kindle, Amazon Fire TV, PS3, PS4, Roku, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
    *   For a fancy preview of the new site, scroll down a bit on [www.funimationnow.com](www.funimationnow.com). There's a demo video.

1. Will you still be using Flash for the video player, or will you be upgrading to an HTML 5 player?
    *   It's a brand new player and it's HTML5 :D

1. Which browsers will be supported?
    *   For sure latest Chrome, latest Firefox, IE10, IE11, Edge, Safari 8, and Safari 9 across devices.
    *   There will be no Flash backup player. The minimum supported browsers for this are Chrome 4.0, IE 9.0, Firefox 3.5, Safari 4.0, and Opera 10.5\. The site itself will only probably be tested back to IE 10, but I'll know for sure when we do UAT. I'm not involved with first round QC. Users on older browsers will need to upgrade or switch browsers in order to watch videos on the site.

1. Wii U app? :3
    *   The more people ask about this one, the more likely it is to become a reality.

1. Will there be a button to stretch 4:3 or 16:9 video to fill your screen?
    *   That feature will not be available at launch, but I can pitch it for future development. There is a similar thread going on in the Suggestions Forum.

1. Will there be an option to receive notifications on FunimationNow through the website and/or apps whenever your favorited or queued shows are updated with new episodes or blogs (that have the show's name in the tags)?
    *   Yes, but it won't be at launch.

1. Do you think users can have the ability to customize the color of FUNimation's website? For example, instead of purple, I can change the color to red or blue.
    *   Unfortunately, most likely not. The purple is a really specific purple that the Funimation Creative Department has chosen as the main color for the new branding. It's like how Hulu has "granny smith apple" green if you look at their style guide and Netflix has a specific red.
    *   However, I'll see if we could maybe add a theme option where you could choose from themes using the 5 or 6 tertiary colors that were also chosen or perhaps a choice between a dark theme and a light theme.

1. Will you still be using the Hulu embed player?
    *   Yes, the site will continue to use the embedded Hulu player for ad-supported videos for users streaming from the U.S. when that video is also served on Hulu. Whether or not that player remains Flash or moves to HTML5 is up to Hulu. The site will not use the user's lack of Flash to determine the player used. It will go like this:
    *   Subscriber (SubPass, All-AccessPass) –> HTML5 player
    *   Non Subscriber (Basic) U.S. –> Hulu Player
    *   Non Subscriber (Basic) U.S., but video is not served on Hulu –> HTML5 player
    *   Non Subscriber (Basic) Canada –> HTML5 player
    *   Non Subscriber (Basic) UK –> HTML5 player
    *   Ads will play based on your subscription access level and the rights we have for that show just like they do now.

1. Will there be autoplay, show suggestion, and/or random episode features?
    *   Autoplay = yes
    *   Show Suggestion = yes. At launch, the service will suggest shows based on what we tag as similar shows, but later the system will be able to suggest new shows to watch based on your activity across the service.
    *   Random episode feature = no, see above

1. Is this new player going to have 5.1 Surround Sound support?
    *   The player will support AAC audio, but none of our streaming content is encoded with 5.1 surround sound. We will be re-encoding most of the, if not the entire, library in order to move to soft subtitles, though. Therefore, that possibility could be discussed at that time provided we have materials.

• Reserved in case I need to organize stuff.

• I don't think I remember seeing any details about the player itself so I want to field a question or two about it. And rather than asking a general "what can I expect from the new player" I'm going to ask what I want to know :p

Question 1: Will there be a forward or backward button to skip like 10 or 15 seconds and will I be able to click (or tap) the screen to pause it? As a tablet user I hate having to press the pause button all the way in the corner just to pause the video, it can be a bit hard to hit it sometimes!

Question 2: As a PC user, will there be some functionality to the mouse for the player as well? I'm saying something to the tune of double clicking the screen to maximize/minimize the screen, especially at the end of the video where it gives you a pop-up that allows you to go to the next episode. I double click to minimize the screen and it just plays and pauses rather than do what I am wanting to do which is minimize. Oh also an option to skip the opening theme would be cool, sometimes they're just so boring and its hard to finely click 1:30 after where I already am. Or just preview what time i'm over when I rollover the slider.

Question 3: Will the player remember the volume I had it set at for the previous video? I get annoyed having to readjust the volume every single episode on my PCs because it just simply isn't loud enough.

Ok three questions.

I guess it might be better to go through what we could expect from the new player based on what everyone complains about the current player. Eh, whatever's easier. A comments section might be cool too but I won't complain otherwise, I just like reading what people say.

• @darthrutsula:

Question 1: Will there be a forward or backward button to skip like 10 or 15 seconds and will I be able to click (or tap) the screen to pause it?

Yes.

@darthrutsula:

Question 2: As a PC user, will there be some functionality to the mouse for the player as well? I'm saying something to the tune of double clicking the screen to maximize/minimize the screen, especially at the end of the video where it gives you a pop-up that allows you to go to the next episode. I double click to minimize the screen and it just plays and pauses rather than do what I am wanting to do which is minimize. Oh also an option to skip the opening theme would be cool, sometimes they're just so boring and its hard to finely click 1:30 after where I already am. Or just preview what time i'm over when I rollover the slider.

Doubleclick to fullscreen may not be at launch, but I can ask for it to be added if it is not. I'll know for sure when I can test for myself during UAT. Skipping the opening and closing themes on demand is something I've wanted to implement for a very long time. We won't have it at launch, but I'll still work to have it added post launch.

@darthrutsula:

Question 3: Will the player remember the volume I had it set at for the previous video? I get annoyed having to readjust the volume every single episode on my PCs because it just simply isn't loud enough.

It should. We wanted to have that added to the current player before FunimationNow became a thing, so I believe that will be available at launch. I'll know for sure after UAT.

• I missed this thread due to still finding my way around this Forum so please disregard my questions about Auto-play on Roku as it appears it will be added in the upcoming update.

• I understand there will be licensing restrictions due to regions, but I'm so glad it's being made available for the UK! :D I'm sure you guys had to pull a LOT of strings. :D

• I have a question with regards to the upcoming release date: with February fast approaching, do you know when the exact date of FunimationNow's launch is?

• @Reuben:

I understand there will be licensing restrictions due to regions, but I'm so glad it's being made available for the UK! :D I'm sure you guys had to pull a LOT of strings. :D

We're glad too. These are exciting times. ^_^

@gjjones:

I have a question with regards to the upcoming release date: with February fast approaching, do you know when the exact date of FunimationNow's launch is?

Not yet, but UK is still set for February and US for May. US mobile & tablet apps for Windows 10 Universal, iOS, Android, and Kindle will launch in February.

• Ahhh I was wondering about where Funimation app will ever see the light of day on the "Sony Entertainment Network" service (the Sony Blue-ray Player one, NOT PS4). They are very selective on their apps, not able to be edited by the user, and currently doesn't have any Funimation app service.

Be nice if I could get my Funimation stuff on my Sony Blu-Ray… alas this is simply a bonus and isn't required for me of course... I do all my viewing so far on me Windows 8.0 computer and not TV at moment.

• The app will not be available on Sony Blu-ray players at launch, but I can ask if this could happen after launch.

• @Sophie:

We're glad too. These are exciting times. ^_^

Not yet, but UK is still set for February and US for May. US mobile & tablet apps for Windows 10 Universal, iOS, Android, and Kindle will launch in February.

I'm sorry but isn't the US launch in February for Funimation Now? According to the press release. I need this app on my Apple TV already….when in February is it coming?

• This post is deleted!

• @ahkiva:

I'm sorry but isn't the US launch in February for Funimation Now? According to the press release. I need this app on my Apple TV already….when in February is it coming?

Unfortunately, we don't have an exact launch date in February. We can only say that the launch is still a date in February. App launches can be unpredictable and can be delayed if something happens during the launch. Because of this, we can really only say the launch date after it has happened.

• i've searched as well and found no option for auto play i don't like having to get up every 20 mins to change episode fix the volume and put it back on full screen… Its really irritating at times since i usually use it to fall asleep....

• ok i mis-read the auto play part s'all good but does it also fix the volume control?

• I believe so, but I won't know for sure if that will be available at launch until I test for myself during UAT.

• May I ask about back catalog shows? Will everything that's available now be available via FunimationNow sooner or later? Stuff like Hero Tales for example? I'm in the middle of watching that.

• @truotakugal:

May I ask about back catalog shows? Will everything that's available now be available via FunimationNow sooner or later? Stuff like Hero Tales for example? I'm in the middle of watching that.

Everything will transfer over when the site updates. You'll be able to watch shows immediately after the site and each device app updates depending on those episodes' and movies' availability. If you were watching a show the day before the update, it is very likely that you'll be able to continue watching right after the update. However, since you don't have an All-AccessPass or SubPass account, Hero Tales could actually be taken down temporarily at any time. All-AccessPass and SubPass users normally continue to have access during these times.

• Hey! These are some really exciting updates!

I was just wondering if the Apple TV app will be available for all generations or just the latest model (4th generation)?

• Can I just check this is still launching I the UK in Feb as someone called Monica Rial has stated at London Anime & Gaming Convention 2016 that it's going live in May. According to a post I've read anyways.