Do We Even "Need" a Funimation TV Channel?

• Although I understand the desire for Anime TV station… this IS the United States after all not Japan. Demand would be limited at best case. Personally I question the business interest (and thusly the cost) of having a sub service via "outdated TV service" alas the question persists nonetheless.

In Age of the Internet... The Funimation.com subscription service is far more effective then simply running titles 24/7 on a TV service. The ability to control what I want to watch when I want it has so much more value. Again this isn't Japan... we don't have all the secondary programming such as interviews with Anime staff, and Anime music or the like that would merit a full station.

If Funimation wants the "experience of a channel programming" providing it via Internet stream is far more effective and valuable. Else I fail to understand how paying Cable/Satellite networks or the Japanese Licenses to provide the station would even be remotely profitable to Funimation. Alas... so it continues to be nonetheless; the direction of Funimation indeed...

• a minimum of about 1.4 million people tune into toonmai every week to watch DBZ Kai. the entire show is available to watch here on this site and you can buy the whole series at a reasonable price. so yeah, I certianly believe a tv channel is still worth it

• Far more people watch programming than there are subscribers on this website

@thegrandalliance:

If Funimation wants the "experience of a channel programming" providing it via Internet stream is far more effective and valuable. Else I fail to understand how paying Cable/Satellite networks to provide the station would even be remotely profitable to Funimation.

This is an exceptionally simplified take on how broadcasting works

• @Riles:

Far more people watch programming than there are subscribers on this website

WEll remember… even if you don't have a sub here you are indeed watching commercials so you are indirectly paying. A pure Funimation channel will likely never hit critical mass and likely remain "sub only". It is a much better value to sub here then to sub to a 24 hour channel.

• @Getchman:

a minimum of about 1.4 million people tune into toonmai every week to watch DBZ Kai. the entire show is available to watch here on this site and you can buy the whole series at a reasonable price. so yeah, I certianly believe a tv channel is still worth it

Yea but Toomai has American stuff before and after… and I am watching Akame ga kill at moment. Problem is most of them are not Funimation, it is only for a 4 hour block of time, and exists on a already very established channel (Cartoon Network).

• @thegrandalliance:

WEll remember… even if you don't have a sub here you are indeed watching commercials so you are indirectly paying. A pure Funimation channel will likely never hit critical mass and likely remain "sub only". It is a much better value to sub here then to sub to a 24 hour channel.

You're talking about a company so I don't know why you're bringing up the rationale of a consumer

EDIT: In case I didn't make it clear before, it's usually the service provider who pays to broadcast the channel, not the other way around. The service provider makes its money on ad revenue

• @Riles:

You're talking about a company so I don't know why you're bringing up the rationale of a consumer

Well, although I am technically talking about both nonetheless a better question is, "Why should I, the user, care about Funimation Channel when I have funimation.com?"

Yes, having Anime on TV is nice, but alas is unnecessary. I much rather watch everything here (desktop PC) or on a mobile/device app. Simply watching a broadcast TV channel would only be remotely relevant for the new simulcast shows that come out once a week… and not very effective for preexisting shows. Furthermore, you generally would be restricted to either a "dub or a sub".

So yes, the consumer doesn't have a compelling interest to use Funimation chanel as a primary or otherwise source for its products. When it comes to business interest it costs money to do anything: Remember the cost of a license. To provide a 24/7 broadcast of its products Funimation has to pay Japan producers cost per broadcast. So if "nobody is watching" they will be operating at a loss.

Now technically they could have very well managed deals; for instance one that only pay-per-view type using some sort of metrics, nonetheless without having any technical details on Funimations deals, I presume for the purpose of this this thread that Funimation channel is unprofitable and thus unnecessary for both company and the user.

• I used Funi OnDemand(Comcast/Xfinity) before it was taken down and everything on there was in english, with the exception of Fairy Tale which also had sub available, so I'm pretty sure that the channel would only have shows they dubbed. Anyway, having a 24-7 tv channel doesn't interest me all that much, however, I can see some possible reasons as to why they would take a route like that. For one thing, it could help get people to watch some of the shows they've licensed on it and that might bring them to the site. Their list has gotten pretty big so having already watched an ep of something on tv may help people find a show they like instead of having to search the catalog or forums for something.

• @Riles:

EDIT: In case I didn't make it clear before, it's usually the service provider who pays to broadcast the channel, not the other way around. The service provider makes its money on ad revenue

To be fair, the desires of the consumer pretty much dictates the actions of a company.

• @nubguy:

To be fair, the desires of the consumer pretty much dictates the actions of a company.

Yea, unless we are talking Japan… then the Japanese Companies do WTF they want of course...

• Although i voted no let's face facts and admit that funimation's streaming is so far an abysmal failure when compared to crunchyroll, netflix and hulu. Seriously, no cross device compatitability and mobile apps that have been complete shit for years? Not exactly how you can claim to be an industry leader when you spend years making excuses for not even trying to do what every other streaming service has done fore years. The reason cr has vastly more paid subscribors than funi is their dedication to quality apps and a well laid out web page in addition to a crontinious cross device experience that they have provided for years, something funi still fails to accomplish.

• @bernie1972:

Although i voted no let's face facts and admit that funimation's streaming is so far an abysmal failure when compared to crunchyroll, netflix and hulu. Seriously, no cross device compatitability and mobile apps that have been complete shit for years?

Well they are coming out "soon" with their relaunch of platform "Funimation NOW!" service which is supposed to be a complete rehash. Although personally I don't have any UI problems with the current one (using a better encoding service esp for Audio would be nice (for 5.1)) I can understand how some people want "newer" and more advanced UI. I am too "old school" I suppose alas…

• @thegrandalliance:

Although I understand the desire for Anime TV station… this IS the United States after all not Japan. Demand would be limited at best case. Personally I question the business interest (and thusly the cost) of having a sub service via "outdated TV service" alas the question persists nonetheless.

In Age of the Internet... The Funimation.com subscription service is far more effective then simply running titles 24/7 on a TV service. The ability to control what I want to watch when I want it has so much more value. Again this isn't Japan... we don't have all the secondary programming such as interviews with Anime staff, and Anime music or the like that would merit a full station.

If Funimation wants the "experience of a channel programming" providing it via Internet stream is far more effective and valuable. Else I fail to understand how paying Cable/Satellite networks or the Japanese Licenses to provide the station would even be remotely profitable to Funimation. Alas... so it continues to be nonetheless; the direction of Funimation indeed...

That don't have TV Channel anymore… It was cancel after it fail on Verizon Fios the only cable that had it channel on the air which pull it a few years ago... So I don't know what you guys are talking about...

• @gohan6425:

That don't have TV Channel anymore… It was cancel after it fail on Verizon Fios the only cable that had it channel on the air which pull it a few years ago... So I don't know what you guys are talking about...

Well I am talking about this subforum in general. Long as it exists this poll is relevant:)

However, technically "the channel" exists… as a Video On-Demand service for the few that still provide it.

EDIT: The poll is closed, alas it appears indeed that the Channel is "illusionary" it is so…

• I didn't really need a channel but I really do miss On Demand content, that's all I had with Xfinity not the full channel. I'll take On Demand with ads and no Fast Forward if it got it back

• @visoredavenger:

I'll take On Demand with ads and no Fast Forward if it got it back

Careful what you wish for. Don't feed the trolls…

• @thegrandalliance:

Although I understand the desire for Anime TV station… this IS the United States after all not Japan. Demand would be limited at best case. Personally I question the business interest (and thusly the cost) of having a sub service via "outdated TV service" alas the question persists nonetheless.

Wait… Funi has a TV channel? Why has no one ever told me about this?!?

• @visoredavenger:

I didn't really need a channel but I really do miss On Demand content, that's all I had with Xfinity not the full channel. I'll take On Demand with ads and no Fast Forward if it got it back

You know Hulu? Everyone hates f*cking Hulu. It's overpriced and everything. It costs $7.99/Month just to watch it WITH ad's. Viso, here's a quote from Hulu themselves:
    @Hulu:

[The] Limited Commercials plan, available for $7.99/month, includes a modest amount of commercials.

BUT
    @Hulu:

If you want to watch Hulu without commercials, we offer a No Commercials plan for $11.99/month.

And making matters worse, look at this:
    @Hulu:

If you sign up on an iOS device (iPads and iPhones) and pay for your Hulu subscription with your iTunes account, there is an additional charge due to transaction costs associated with Apple. The cost of the No Commercials plan when you sign up on an iOS device is $13.99/month.

You see now, do you really want ad's? -_- No you don't. Because this will be the result if you really did – a monstrosity so evil that everyone hates it. It even costs so much money, that to get a 5952 year membership you'd need a small loan of a million dollars!

! @thegrandalliance:
    ! > Careful what you wish for. Don't feed the trolls…
    !

• Something to keep in mind about hulu is their selection. They have quite the extensive library and honestly if they didn't have the sentai shows that piqued my interest, I wouldn't still be subbed to them. I am however avoiding those harems because they have those censors <.< DxD was fine but So I Can't Play H was just so annoying I couldn't keep watching.

• @alexios1:

You see now, do you really want ad's? No you don't. Because this will be the result if your really did – a monstrosity so evil that everyone hates it. It's even costs so much money that to get a 5952 year membership you'd need a small loan of a million dollars!

Uhm, I don't want to "question" your math skills; and I do appreciate the quote, but…

Even if you are paying 20USD/month for HULU, that is still 70USD less then the $90+ Comcast Cable TV bill; or even $50+ for satellite, every month. Big difference.

By no comparison, HULU is the better value... especially considered they basically have everything that is on TV on a stream platform, + old stuff that wouldn't' be on a TV service. A cable bill is only useful for live broadcasts, and when this election cycle (and any multi-year contracts) is over, me is out.

• Not everyone wants to stream anime, off course there needs to be a Funimation Channel. I hate streaming anime online, there's just something boring and dull about. Whenever I start to streaming a show I like on here or a new one, I loose the will power to watch it. To me nothing beats watching shows on TV.