The Official "Petition of Forum Moderator Grievances" Thread

• As come to attention in my last thread: The nature of forum moderation has been called into question and thus having a proper place to discuss it is best. Funimation, like any company, reserves all rights to moderate as they see fit nonetheless that does not mean "The world has to like it". Moderation is an important tool in preventing a forum to be unclean and unusable… even hostile however there is a such thing as "too clean". A forum that puts fear into people to post, or preemptively shuts down discussions, contributes to an atmosphere of hostility between the user and the forum company.

Although not a purely exhaustive list; The "Grievances" against the Funimation Moderation are as thus:

1. Posts are locked out preemptively without any current flame/troll conditions existing
    2. Posts that are locked fail to provide a clear explanation as to why, and in many cases, fail to answer the question/issue
    3. Posts are edited/locked at the visual discretion of the moderator and not due to technical violation of forum rules
    4. Posts asking for technical help are instead redirected to submit tickets and locked out… contrary to the purpose of a board system
    5. Posts that are completely "legitimate" being locked when the issue is perceived to "be over"… which again is contrary to the discussion nature of a forum
    6. Calls to "consolidate posts into one officially sanction thread" makes it difficult to get relevant discussions going that don't get lost in a sea of a massive thread
    7. Censorship of threads/discussions expressing dissatisfaction with Funimation product quality

The following are examples as to posts that have been locked by moderation that if this were any other major forum site (video game companies for example), nothing would have come to it. Alas, I will not directly refer to any moderator or Funimation staff here; nonetheless by the posts I link, it will be clear as to the nature of the problem.

1. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?9653

This thread was a user venting frustration with a video post being delayed. It was done without hostile language, and compared to some company's sites, extremely civil. It was locked apparently because it "shouldn't be on general forum". This thread could have been moved to the proper place or left whereas on general… the idea of general thread is to get visibility to other forum users who may not be aware of the problem.

In either case... there was nothing hostile this user did that would merit a lockout (no flaming) and thus by locking the thread (and preventing a response by the OP) it creates a hostile feeling for the user.

2. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?9392

A thread, appears to be written by someone with limited English skills, made a comment about High School DxD being restricted for current season. This was because the Funimation Dub of Season 3 only has license to the Japanese public TV broadcast version, which is censored, and not the unrestricted paid TV service one. The moderator here not only locked the thread, but failed to answer the situation with the following "It is posted in the official Q/A"… well last time I checked there are tons of Q/A on this forum. No link is ever provided.

As for this user: Not only is thread locked and thus is not able to provide a follow-up response (such as asking about what Q/A the mod is talking about); given the users limited forum or writing skills, they may never get an answer, and thus "get mad at Funimation". This user is thus probably left with a more hostile opinion of the company.

3A. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?8724

This thread refers to potential Apple TV service of Funimation app. The moderator here locked it out simply because they wanted them to post on another thread linked. However given the limited use of this forum the need to clean this up is unneeded. Furthermore it is very likely this thread "would have died out due to natural age" and not need a lockout.

Whenever a thread is locked out of pure discretion such as this one, the OP will feel bad about it as sort of an insult. There is no need to add insult to injury when the intentions of the user are pure.

3B. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?9597

This is my own thread. Latter in the thread one of my posts was edited due to "multiposting". As I further described in the thread, I indicated an exhaustive list as to reasons why this is not always a good idea. This type of forum moderation done in general promotes an adversarial relationship between the user and forum moderation staff.

4. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?9058

This forum user was having technical problems with the service. The whole point of posting on the forums is to get help from other form goers outside of an official ticket; which for as for convenience or time or in the case the ticket fails to provide results, is as to why. By locking this thread out and "telling them to open a ticket" defeats the reason the user engaged in the forums in the first place.

Now for the future…this and many other users may think twice about getting technical help on the forums if the moderators are simply to lock everything out.

5. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?9712-Snow-White-Red-Hair-broadcast-dub-issue

A problem with one of the simulcasts was mentioned here. When the issue was fixed by Funimation moderator simply locked the thread. Is the underlying issue resolved? Yes. However locking threads out when unnecessary only contributes to more hostility between Funimation and users. Furthermore follow-up discussion could take place as well… including posts talking about the issue itself. The moderator once again preemptively locked the thread out.

6. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?7888

This thread refers to someone who found a manga they liked and was a relevant discussion. The forum moderator locked out the post simply because there was already "another official thread" on the topic and didn't want more threads. The only problem is the thread linked is a year older then the thread was locked.

Trying to create a "immortal thread" is a recipe for disaster. Are there potentially other threads somewhere in the Universe talking about the same topic? Yes. However trying to consolidate everything for the sake of consolidation simply causes a state of hostility that dissuades users from proactively participating on the forum. This user in particular "wanted to have their own thread on the topic" and appears to wanted to have taken the conversation in other directions… and not be lumped into a "omnibus thread" that the moderator intended.

7. http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?8816

This thread was in concern to users dissatisfaction with a dub quality. Although the OP was written with language that could have been edited… it promoted a follow-up discussion that was worth consideration. Because the moderator wanted to "censor" this conversation it was locked. The thread was posted on the subscriber section of the forums... its' audience was self-selecting. It was not intended to be a "general population" thread that the moderator wanted it to be. What is worse is the moderator failed to once again even provide a link to "where they want them to go" therefore furthering the censorship.

This type of forum action only gets people even more mad at Funimation. One purpose of a forum is for users to "vent" and when venting is locked out it only creates more anger.

As you can see in the examples provided above: There is much moderation going on these threads and it doesn't take much effort to find it. Although the intentions of Funimation moderation are well intended at times to promote clean forums: The end result is a formation of open hostilities between user and company. People will simply get "fed up" after a point and stop participating. If the objective of the forums it to provide a open, fun, and inviting atmosphere in the attempt to further the brand of Funimation… by locking down this forum like a blockade on a country these objectives will never be met. One cannot have "a fun time with a gun pointed at their heads".

I will try to update this post with even more evidence as thus nonetheless I do believe this is a good summary thereof. Hopefully this thread can be used to "fix these forum". It is imperative that the forums are fixed as not only are users who post are affected but everyone who reads then are as well. Funimation's reputation is always at stake; and of course with this new logo, thusly so it should come with "a new image" nonetheless...

• Items 1 - 3: I agree. I will investigate.

Item 4: Non-negotiable. In theory, you are correct, but in practice, it just wasn't so, unfortunately. We used to have a Tech Support forum, and it was awful for everyone.

First of all, even the threads that obeyed the one issue, one thread rule weren't helpful because the site had issues that manifested in the same way, but with multiple causes, which made those threads indistinguishable from one another. To make matters worse, the help that the users kindly offered wasn't actually helpful because the fix offered wasn't actually a fix for the issue reported.

Secondly, the forum would often get laundry list threads with multiple and very different issues listed. These threads were especially bad because other users tended to piggyback on these threads and add their own lists making the issues extremely difficult to track.

These first two main points made the forum horrible for diagnosing issues making it impossible for us to use it as a way to help users. Users couldn't help each other and we couldn't help users.

The ticketing system works really well for us and the users. With the ticketing system and the policy of moving everyone to tickets, everyone gets help, and we fix issues. We list all open issues that we are aware of in the Help forum. We also open threads when we need to enlist the help of the community.

Closing the Tech Support forum and redirecting everyone to use the support system has been the single best thing we have ever done for the forum.

Item 5: Non-negotiable provided that the issue is related to a bug, defect, or enhancement. We close open issues because users are unable to distinguish between open issues that are different but manifest in the same way. If the issue is not related to a fixed bug or defect, then of course, keep talking.

**Item 6:**I'm willing to discuss this one, but I really don't see the point in following 5 discussions over the same issue, especially when the point of those threads is to get the attention of Funimation. I only need one thread to follow. if people just want to talk with each other, great.

Item 7: This one is completely fine with us. In fact, we encourage this type of discussion.

Examples:

1. This one is fine. It was locked because we already have a thread for it. If you want to get the attention of Funimation executives on any particular issue, you can't expect them to follow more than one thread about it. CJ even provided a link to the existing thread. We could, though, update the locking policy to issue a warning and a gentle reminder to search the forum first in order to allow for a response from the OP and to avoid hurt feelings.

2. I agree, but a link was provided. It's just hard to see because our link color is really close to the forum text color. Post number 2 says, "Number 3", which is a link to the main thread about High School DxD season 3.

3A. I understand, but I need the Suggestions Box Forum to be one issue one thread, so that I can track and answer questions properly. I use this forum to go through requests for new features and functionality and as a way to gauge interest in a particular feature. Multiple threads makes this difficult.

I was answering the same questions in two threads already about Apple TV. I really didn't want to answer a third, so I locked it and provided links to the other two threads. However, in consideration of the OP, I will thank them for making threads and invite them to contribute to the existing threads. Thank you!

3B. We've already hashed this one out in the other thread. I do understand where you are coming from, though.

4. No, the point of the forum is for discussion about Funimation and anime. It is not for reporting issues because of the reasons I have already stated.

5. I don't agree with this one, but I'm open to discuss it. The moderator locked the thread and said that the issue was fixed. What follow-up discussion was needed? If anything, leaving it open would have caused users to piggyback the thread with either other episodes or completely different issues with similar manifestations.

6. I agree that locking may have happened a bit too prematurely, but the old threads offered were nearly identical to the new threads. Based on the OP of the new thread and the OP of the old thread, the conversations were probably going to go in the same direction. I'm open to discussing this point, however, if you can provide examples in other forums of conversations on the same topic diverging and how this can increase forum activity.

7. This one I agree with.

Based on the above examples, I believe you are suggesting that we:

1. Leave threads open a bit longer and issue warnings and gentle reminders
    2. When threads are finally locked, a reason must be provided with a rules citation, and a link must be provided in the case of a duplicate thread.

Feel free to either edit your first post and/or respond to mine. We've never discussed forum policy formally like this before.

• @Sophie:

Item 4 is non-negotiable. We used to have a Tech Support forum, and it was awful for everyone.

The ticketing system works really well for us and the users. With the ticketing system and the policy of moving everyone to tickets, everyone gets help, and we fix issues. We list all open issues that we are aware of in the Help forum. We also open threads when we need to enlist the help of the community.

Unfortunately this policy is not clear to people… including myself until you simply explained it just now. I did do some research on the main form site and came across the line: "Please report any issues and check for known issues on the Support Page. Do not report any issues anywhere on the forum". However the wording of this is confusing.

IF the intent of the forum is to not have technical issue threads, it needs to be spelled out directly and very loudly. The messages on the home page need to say exactly "*technical issues" because, to be fair, everything on a forum "could be grammatically considered to be 'an issue'" and thus is very confusing… even to myself until now like I said.

I would suggest putting the header on the very top of the forums, and perhaps on the relevant subforms, to make the point clear. If a user has to read "A Wall of Text" to get to the key message you intend… the simplicity of the forum is already lost. A user encountering moderation thereafter, is likely just to get mad. Not everyone is "skilled at reading a forum" and if you do decide to lock things out you should, as a matter of policy, restate it so in the post ("We do not like to discuss technical issues on the forums"). I know this is cumbersome to do every time however every new user "is a customer" and of course, simply as matter of service, needs help.

@Sophie:

Item 5 is non-negotiable provided that the issue is related to a bug, defect, or enhancement. We close open issues because users are unable to distinguish open issues from fixed issues because two issues can manifest the same way, but have different causes. To us, those are two separate issues, but users don't know that.

The need to lock the thread out is unwarranted. If an issue is truly fixed the thread is likely to die a natural death. If the user had a follow up issue, or more importantly, the issue for them wasn't fixed (so you falsely assumed the issue was solved) they would not be able to respond. Allow the OP to close out the discussion and provide the feedback and not preemptively invade the country by shutting it down. IF the thread gets off topic, or leads to issues you suggest, then you can chose to do something about it.

@Sophie:

I'm willing to discuss item 6, but I really don't see the point in following 5 discussions over the same issue, especially when the point of those threads is to get the attention of Funimation. I only need one thread to follow.

There are many issues such as one in 5 like you stated that merit consolidation… however if you read the thread I linked as evidence you would see the thread was simply a fan comment about liking a manga. The problem was that the moderator told them to shut down their thread and post on a thread that was 1 year older then the thread in question (2014 vs 2015). Furthermore simply consolidating "fan" posts or otherwise friendly discussions as to what people like is unneeded... and very hostile feedback to the user.

If this forum was flooded with 10329847130924781234 threads saying "oooh I like this anime/manga" then moderation could be justified but it is not. Furthermore it is posted in a subforum designed for such posts, and the user doesn't have an expectation of "pure cleanliness". It is intended to be a "fun sub-forum" and all moderation here is doing is "killing the fun".

@Sophie:

Item 7 is completely fine with us. In fact, we encourage this type of discussion.

Yes, however as provided in the example, the moderator was quick to spam the lock button… giving the impression at least of censorship. If the moderator posted more then a Twitter-style response then perhaps it would have been better. That very short response (as I have encountered in other forums) makes a user "very very angrly."

I'll edit this once I've gone through the examples.

Yes, and I have edited my OP a few times too. I tend to post a rough draft of my post fast and edit for readability later… as I have had problems with "losing an entire post due to computer failure or otherwise" so I am quick to the draw. I do appoligze if it made it harder to read nonetheless it should be cleaned up now.

Thank you for your engagement here nonetheless. On behalf of the community, I hope that we can take this time to put such hostilities behind us, as is evidenced it appears that indeed dissatisfaction continues. Normally I don't like to engage in such matters however I also don't like to see companies "living on the edge" to go off the edge if I can do something to stop it beforehand. Funimation provides very effective distribution of Anime licenses; as of 2006-something, Top-tier (even better then Japanese version) dubs, and to see it all fall off into Oblivion for one matter or another would be very saddening it is so...

• @Sophie:

Examples:

1. This one is fine. It was locked because we already have a thread for it. If you want to get the attention of Funimation executives on any particular issue, you can't expect them to follow more than one thread about it. CJ even provided a link to the existing thread. We could, though, update the locking policy to issue a warning and a gentle reminder to search the forum first in order to allow for a response from the OP and to avoid hurt feelings.

Yes could be potentially so from a novice understanding of English language… nonetheless the moderator failed to consider the context of the post. The user was using grammatically incorrect language and appeared very confused otherwise. Furthermore the user was very frustrated as well. By not allowing the user to "calm down and get clarity" locking the thread will not change this user's state of affairs. Are there 134523423 posts about this issue somewhere else? Maybe but that isn't the "main point of the thread".

The "key point of the thread", the subtext if you will, is that that user is very mad and doesn't know what to do: The underlying issue about the dub release delay is irrelevant. The moderator should try to encourage the discussion to "help put out the fire" and not "dump a can of gasoline on the fire" by locking it out. When the user has "calmed down and found enlightenment", then ending the thread is possible. What I am saying is that the real problem on this thread is that the user was "in a state of panic" and telling them to post in a thread with 1234324187 other people isn't going to help this.

@Sophie:

2. I agree, but a link was provided. It's just hard to see because our link color is really close to the forum text color. Post number to says, "Number 3", which is a link to the main thread about High School DxD season 3.

Indeed I can see that link now… nonetheless the user post you site was a "tongue-in-check; jerking the OP around" kind of response. As I stated above the OP was having anger issues as indicated with the grammatically incorrect post and the following 2 posts can be considered "trolling".

Furthermore this post was listed in general section... so at the time of the thread being opened he would not have likely seen the Q/A at all. Again as I sited in my previous post in regards to the "Please don't post about technical issues" not being clearly sited as using the word "technical"... if general thread isn't to be used for Anime-specific questions it needs to be much easily stated for people who don't read everything to follow.

Not everyone who uses the Internet is a English Major. Given how many younger people use the site, locking things out quickly is hostile to people who are not able to understand the reason. Again like I said before these threads have very little posts compared to others… so locking everything out when the thread is likely to die naturally is completely unwarranted. IF the conversation gets out of hand, then lock it out... but don't do it with only 2 posts in a thread.

@Sophie:

3A. I understand, but I need the Suggestions Box Forum to be one issue one thread, so that I can track and answer questions properly. I use this forum to go through requests for new features and functionality and as a way to gauge interest in a particular feature. Multiple threads makes this difficult. I was answering the same questions in two threads already about Apple TV. I really didn't want to answer a third, so I locked it and provided links to the other two threads.

Yes I understand the need for simplicity for the sake of running a business (the executives don't have time to troll) HOWEVER threads are user-focused by intent. People posting on the threads are not thinking "Is there 32431289347124 posts on this topic already?" "Is my point being heard clearly?" and simply want their opinion stated. They are not of the mindset of running efficient customer feedback program… nor are they employees.

YES this makes your job 81293470193274981237409% harder: That is "The Cost of Freedom" for being a moderator. To be fair of course... these forums are very quiet so it isn't that hard to do :)

@Sophie:

4. No, the point of the forum is for discussion about Funimation and anime. It is not for reporting issues because of the reasons I have already stated.

I talked about technical issues in my last post. If you don't want to deal with them on forums then that is fine; for users such as myself who is/was "unaware" of such, the expectation that everyone knows this is unwarranted.

@Sophie:

5. I don't agree with this one, but I'm open to discuss it. The moderator locked the thread and said that the issue was fixed. What follow-up discussion was needed?

*The moderator said the issue was fixed. Key point. The user didn't. IN this particular case this could be true… nonetheless I need not link to you the mountains of problems, in video games for instance, that "the developers claimed was fixed in a patch" only to be anything but. Allow the OP to respond if they want to provide confirmation of the "fixing" and leave it at that. IF the thread gets out of hand you can lock it out then: Firing preemptive nukes because of a fear of imminent attack leads to the world coming to an end.

@Sophie:

6. I agree that locking may have happened a bit too prematurely, but the old threads offered were nearly identical to the new threads. Based on the OP of the new thread and the OP of the old thread, the conversations were probably going to go in the same direction. I'm open to discussing this point, however, if you can provide examples in other forums of conversations on the same topic diverging and how this can increase forum activity.

Look at the dates again. The locked thread was posted 7/5/2015 and locked the same day. The linked thread is posted on 6/14/2014. If I have to explain why this is problem…

...alas; the last post of the thread up to the point that the mod told them to leave was 5/26/2015, over 1.5 months later: By all traditional definition this thread "was a ghost thread lived well past its prime". Even if the subject matter would result in a similar discussion the thread is too old to keep alive.

If you want forum activity... restarting the conversation is optimal. Pay attention to the next post in the thread on 7/11/2015 and thereafter. Notice how the user (kibaaiyuto) of the locked thread never replied in the linked thread. By shutting down the thread you basically "showed the door" to this user. By moderating this thread and telling them to "go take it to the Omnibus" you basically told the user to "take a hike". Like I said before and before... the activity level of these threads do not warrant such cleanliness.

Now onto your point as to "how this makes forums better"... I noticed that this user only posted one more post even on forums. It happened to be on the same topic on yet another, 3rd (and not linked by moderator) thread. If this user had not had their post locked it would be interesting to see what would have happened. Yet this user only made 2 posts in the history of the forums.

Finally... notice how this sub-forum has had like 10-15 threads on it for last 1 year of time. There is not "space issues" here... the thread could be considered "dead" by all analysis. Even if there are potentially duplicate posts on the same topic… the fact that there are multiple posts generates interest (a "buzz") of the topic by the average user who doesn't know what is going on. They see the same topic over and over again and will think "maybe something cool is going on". THAT is was generates user interest and forum activity. By locking everything out... users at a glance will not know what is popular.

@Sophie:

Based on the above examples, I believe you are suggesting that we:

1. Leave threads open a bit longer and issue warnings and gentle reminders
    2. When threads are finally locked, a reason must be provided with a rules citation, and a link must be provided in the case of a duplicate thread.

Yes and perhaps…

1. When in doubt, do not lock

These forums are not brisling with activity... many of the subforums are near-death or already dead. Worrying about cleanliness in such matters is unneeded. Lock threads when needed; when users get out of hand, in the case that the situation is not hostile (the user is flaming/posting offensive material), do not rush to lock when one needs not to lock.

Don't shoot first and ask questions later it is so...

• @Sophie:

BTW to provide some supporting evidence outside of Funimation… I didn't want to make my wall of text even higher so I will list some here because it is important that understanding how duplicate posts generates interest.

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/esports

Lets use League of Legends (a Online, Player vs Player, "Esports" game) as example. My trolling here was legendary in the past so of course well familiar of such. This subforum focuses on the Esports aspect (which is a very contentious aspect… as to whether Video games "are a sport or not") of the game.

This forum as many views so based upon how you view it may to be hard to see visually how it lays out (hot vs recent listings) however for example currently there are listed many topics about a Esports team "Immortals".

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/esports/NwayfLKi-not-giving-immortals-enough-credit
    http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/esports/rgKVIZlN-defintely-an-immortals-fan-now-3
    http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/esports/rTUAg7ZT-immortals

By Funimation standards… all of these threads should have been moved/locked into one. As you can see, although each started off with the same premise (Immortals is an up and coming team), the discussions moved in different directions.

Furthermore, the fact that "Immortals" is flooding the forum (HOT listings), someone like you who has no idea WTF Esports is automatically has some idea that "this team is hot right now". IF there was only one big massive thread on it you may not have noticed this until you started to read every thread... especially if the headline of the thread was vague or not clear. The fact there are 18097439312472 threads on Immortals, by itself, generates further interest in the topic and is a snowballing effect of forum activity.

IF you, Funimation mods, decide to lock stuff up before the snowballs reach "critical mass"; you only shut down activity that could, with time, occur. As I stated many times previously: Don't act unless you want to act… act because you have to act.

• I apologize if I've missed anything…

@thegrandalliance:

Unfortunately this policy is not clear to people… including myself until you simply explained it just now. I did do some research on the main form site and came across the line: "Please report any issues and check for known issues on the Support Page. Do not report any issues anywhere on the forum". However the wording of this is confusing.

I apologize for the wording. I will try to make this more clear.

@thegrandalliance:

The need to lock the thread out is unwarranted. If an issue is truly fixed the thread is likely to die a natural death. If the user had a follow up issue, or more importantly, the issue for them wasn't fixed (so you falsely assumed the issue was solved) they would not be able to respond. Allow the OP to close out the discussion and provide the feedback and not preemptively invade the country by shutting it down. IF the thread gets off topic, or leads to issues you suggest, then you can chose to do something about it.

The lock policy on reporting technical issues for the service will remain as it is based on our experience with the Tech Support Forum we used to have. I really appreciate your offering advice, but it just didn't work out the way that you are saying that it will.

@thegrandalliance:

If this forum was flooded with 10329847130924781234 threads saying "oooh I like this anime/manga" then moderation could be justified but it is not. Furthermore it is posted in a subforum designed for such posts, and the user doesn't have an expectation of "pure cleanliness". It is intended to be a "fun sub-forum" and all moderation here is doing is "killing the fun".

I agree. I'll discuss that with the mods.

@thegrandalliance:

Yes, however as provided in the example, the moderator was quick to spam the lock button… giving the impression at least of censorship. If the moderator posted more then a Twitter-style response then perhaps it would have been better. That very short response (as I have encountered in other forums) makes a user "very very angrly."

I understand. I'll discuss that with the mods and create a more formal locking policy.

@thegrandalliance:

The "key point of the thread", the subtext if you will, is that that user is very mad and doesn't know what to do: The underlying issue about the dub release delay is irrelevant. The moderator should try to encourage the discussion to "help put out the fire" and not "dump a can of gasoline on the fire" by locking it out. When the user has "calmed down and found enlightenment", then ending the thread is possible. What I am saying is that the real problem on this thread is that the user was "in a state of panic" and telling them to post in a thread with 1234324187 other people isn't going to help this.

The moderator has informed me that the user in question had created two other threads about this and that after being told to post in the main thread, did so.

@thegrandalliance:

Indeed I can see that link now… nonetheless the user post you site was a "tongue-in-check; jerking the OP around" kind of response. As I stated above the OP was having anger issues as indicated with the grammatically incorrect post and the following 2 posts can be considered "trolling".

The user that posted the tongue-in-cheek response wasn't a moderator, but yes, it could be considered "trolling".

@thegrandalliance:

Furthermore this post was listed in general section… so at the time of the thread being opened he would not have likely seen the Q/A at all. Again as I sited in my previous post in regards to the "Please don't post about technical issues" not being clearly sited as using the word "technical"... if general thread isn't to be used for Anime-specific questions it needs to be much easily stated for people who don't read everything to follow.

Yes, and that is fine. According to the description of the Funimation General forum, it is for users wanting to pose an anime or Funimation question to Funimation. The issue wasn't that the user was asking an anime question in the wrong forum. It was that the question had already been answered in another part of the forum. It's ok that the OP did not check the High School DxD for the answer. The other users pointed him to that thread, albeit not very nicely. The OP's thread, now being useless, was locked.

@thegrandalliance:

Not everyone who uses the Internet is a English Major. Given how many younger people use the site, locking things out quickly is hostile to people who are not able to understand the reason. Again like I said before these threads have very little posts compared to others… so locking everything out when the thread is likely to die naturally is completely unwarranted. IF the conversation gets out of hand, then lock it out... but don't do it with only 2 posts in a thread.

This has been mentioned before. I'll have the mods ease up on locking so quickly.

@thegrandalliance:

Yes I understand the need for simplicity for the sake of running a business (the executives don't have time to troll) HOWEVER threads are user-focused by intent. People posting on the threads are not thinking "Is there 32431289347124 posts on this topic already?" "Is my point being heard clearly?" and simply want their opinion stated. They are not of the mindset of running efficient customer feedback program… nor are they employees.

YES this makes your job 81293470193274981237409% harder: That is "The Cost of Freedom" for being a moderator. To be fair of course... these forums are very quiet so it isn't that hard to do

The Suggestions Box forum is easy to manage precisely because of the rules set up there. The purpose of that forum is for users to tell me, the person in charge of collating user feedback to be turned into new features for the service, what they want. This forum needs to be the way it is in order for me to do my job. It enables me to gather all the data and make sure that everyone receives a response, that all suggestions have been noted, and most importantly, that suggestions are added to the service. This is the price that the user has to pay in order to communicate to us what they want. I'm interested in quality over quantity with this one. It's not about freedom.

For the rest of the forum, sure, we can allow multiples if the main identical older thread is too old or if the topic is more casual.

@thegrandalliance:

*The moderator said the issue was fixed. Key point. The user didn't.

Back when we had a Tech Support forum, we used to leave threads open for just that reason, but users very rarely would come back to confirm whether or not the issue was ever fixed, and why would they? It was fixed. They were happy.

When we need user confirmation on whether or not an issue has been resolved, we leave the thread for that issue open in the Funimation Help forum. Once enough time has passed or we receive confirmation, we close the thread.

@thegrandalliance:

Even if there are potentially duplicate posts on the same topic… the fact that there are multiple posts generates interest (a "buzz") of the topic by the average user who doesn't know what is going on. They see the same topic over and over again and will think "maybe something cool is going on". THAT is was generates user interest and forum activity. By locking everything out... users at a glance will not know what is popular.

Noted. I'll tell the mods to allow these threads.

@thegrandalliance:

IF you, Funimation mods, decide to lock stuff up before the snowballs reach "critical mass"; you only shut down activity that could, with time, occur. As I stated many times previously: Don't act unless you want to act… act because you have to act.

I really like this.

• @Sophie:

I apologize if I've missed anything…

Ahhhaa no… appears to be very comprehensive analysis of the like. Glad I could help vent some of the frustration on these forums I can imagine exists here in a matter that is logical and through.

An another completely unrelated matter... your User Icon/Picture is been bothering me for the longest time now. I cannot tell if it is a male or female character. Although I assume its female alas me been burned too many times watching Funimation Anime to "just simply guess these days". :)

Alas... back to me watching the mountain of Anime me haven't gotten around to for years on end... So much to watch... so little time indeed...

• I would just like to add one of my own issues with the site as well, and that's the dark blue color of the hyperlinks is way too similar to the black color of the standard text. That's probably the reason why TGA wasn't able to see the link earlier. It'd be much better if we could just the color of the links to something that stands out better.

• I've been a member here for quite a while now , i don't really post much in the forums .
    That being said i do read a lot of them daily, and would like to point out a couple things

I think the mods and admins have be doing a pretty good job.
    if you been sitting in the background as long as i have, its pretty hard to believe they haven't gone insane from some of the things being posted on here .

As for why they don't have technical support forums
    yeah it was a mess , try to give someone some advice and if it did't work for them they would just loose it on the forums, not very fun

• I think the mods and admins do a fine job. I agree with every single topic lock.

Thegrandalliance is asking for too much. Especially when problems are resolved. Why let a topic go on when it has been brought up countless other times or when an error/glitch in the system is fixed? It is a waste of topic space and I actually strongly dislike seeing topics like these go on. If the person really did get offended or didn't feel like there was enough closure, then the person could easily make another topic addressing the same issue, but none of them have done that.

• @dabkowski:

Thegrandalliance is asking for too much. Why let a topic go on when it has been brought up countless other times or when an error/glitch in the system is fixed? If the person really did get offended or didn't feel like there was enough closure, then the person could easily make another topic addressing the same issue, but none of them have done that.

Well you would have to read the entire wall of text I had above to understand everything, however threads regarding "problems" was only one of many contentions I had listed. There are many other threads, such as general interest (I think x is very hot) threads that I am also referring to as well.

Why does this matter? User Participation. IF someone is always worried their threads will be locked they won't post. Why don't they just repost? Because it will get locked again. If you looked at the user activity of some of these people who threads are locked you notice that they never again use the forums.

The point of a forum is to encourage participation… not to dissuade it. These forums are already super clean, and outside of general/subonly forum, there are VERY few threads (like 10 a year or less). The point of having many threads, even if on the same topic, is to get "interest" or "buzz" on a topic. Otherwise a user would have to read EVERY single thread to get an idea WTF is going on.

Use my following post linking to a game site (League of Legends) as an example. Esports concept is already difficult to understand… however with the many threads there one can quickly gauge player interest in subjects. Such as "which teams are good/watchable" or not. If everything was in one massive thread you wouldn't be able to quickly tell this without reading the thread. The fact that there are 12834793124132 posts on a single team's activities allow you to quickly see this team is "hot".

...not unlike a Twitter feed or # . "What is trending on Twitter". The reason everything I mention is important here is because the fundamental purpose of a forum is to "sell the product". In this case that is Anime. What Anime to watch, so little time to have. If someone wanted to know "what is hot and watchable" it is much easier to simply read headlines/subjectline of threads and not read every thread.

For this and some other reasons above is reason for this thread, dabkowski. IF you need more info I suggest you read all of my wall of texts above as I do describe everything at some point nonetheless.

• You've presented quite a few grievances, but I think the majority of them boil down to assumptions of a certain action.

Locking threads that have user specific issues is nothing new, and makes sense. There is no real discussion in them other than conjecture of what the issue is. If the issue affects multiple users than it's likely most users are already aware of it. Technical issues by and far should be resolved through the ticket system.

My opinion on the matter as a whole is the moderating team appears to be doing a fine job.
    @thegrandalliance:

Why does this matter? User Participation. IF someone is always worried their threads will be locked they won't post. Why don't they just repost? Because it will get locked again. If you looked at the user activity of some of these people who threads are locked you notice that they never again use the forums.

I think this is a prime example of correlation does not imply causation. In many of these cases, the user posted because a third variable appeared. They were unlikely to have posted otherwise and with that variable now gone (likely resolved) they again have no reason to post.

• @CostlyAxis:

I think this is a prime example of correlation does not imply causation. In many of these cases, the user posted because a third variable appeared. They were unlikely to have posted otherwise and with that variable now gone (likely resolved) they again have no reason to post.

Again, that assumes these threads are technical issues. With exception of Example 4-5 I used in the OP: All others were opinionated statements. Example 6 is a good one… a user talked about how much they liked the manga and the thread was locked. The user reposted in another thread once and never furthered the discussion, nor seen again in the forum. There was no "issue to be resolved" as you indicated in your assumption.

If their thread was left open and assuming there was other user activity, it would be therefore logical to assume that the OP would continue to post in the thread (responding to other's posts). Being that now this user was simply a post in a sea of others, they no longer have a "personal connection" to the issue.

Is this conjecture? Yes. However if you have participated heavily in other forums which are far more active, as I have done for over two decades now, you would find and discover trends that lead to demonstrate my conclusions. As I listed, once again, above, I demonstrated on a video game site how multi threaded posts, which before would be considered "spam" here and locked, directly lead to greater overall participation by the users. It is true this is a case-by-case situation… for example technical support issues (which the mods don't want here for particular reasons, which is fine) the logic you present may be so.

However the core truth of forums is that most threads are emotional; the underlying cause or topic discussed is irrelevant, and simply the purpose is "having someone to talk to". It isn't generally even in regards to the topic discussed, rather that "they have a 'friend' to talk to". The point of these threads is simply to encourage discussion among other humans, and not to necessarily resolve an observation.

Therefore, if you lock everything up and try to put into mega posts, all you do is ruin "the social aspect" of forums. If a user doesn't feel the forums provide such "social satisfaction" then they will go elsewhere. Again is this all potential conjecture? Yes… however given great experience "trolling" if you will on many a forum I can assure you these things "matter" and greatly determine the future of a forum; a forum that is great and active versus a forum that is "dead".

Again... all of this matters because small things become big things over time through the act of snowballing. Every interaction that a user has with a forum will affect their overall opinion of the site. If they are presented with a sequence of bad experiences, emotionally they will be negatively affected as to the next time they engage. The goal therefore of any moderation is to have "the best possible experience". As I stated before… it isn't whether a mod CAN act... rather that they MUST act is indeed best.

Nonetheless, I do believe that the situation I have laid out here has been presented and negotiated with Funimation mods properly, however it is very important that everyone here understand the core reasons behind my posts as they are very difficult on the surface to understand and I will try my best to explain it therefore.

• Dude no one else is complaining about these things except for you. Not many people are even using this forum to care much. The ones that do use it aren't offended or insulted by mod/admin topic closings. I highly doubt these things are upsetting enough to prevent people from posting either. And I'm not going to read your response if it's half a page long.

• @thegrandalliance:

An another completely unrelated matter… your User Icon/Picture is been bothering me for the longest time now. I cannot tell if it is a male or female character. Although I assume its female alas me been burned too many times watching Funimation Anime to "just simply guess these days".

She's female. It's from my comic that died when I started working here. I'd like to resurrect it eventually, but you know…. FFXIV.

@SpacemanHardy:

I would just like to add one of my own issues with the site as well, and that's the dark blue color of the hyperlinks is way too similar to the black color of the standard text. That's probably the reason why TGA wasn't able to see the link earlier. It'd be much better if we could just the color of the links to something that stands out better.

Ya know. I'm going to do just that right now. We have a purple header and footer now, so I think we should have new link colors in the forum!

Thank you for participating in this, everyone.

• @Sophie:

She's female. It's from my comic that died when I started working here. I'd like to resurrect it eventually, but you know…. FFXIV.

AAh LoL good… nice to see I can make a correct educated guess every once and awhile. BTW should really do something about the head/face angle(check or otherwise) or something; only way could postulate it is a girl is by the hair, but I have seen both male/female with almost that exact same appearance. Very nerve wreaking to say the least...

• @thegrandalliance:

only way could postulate it is a girl is by the hair, but I have seen both male/female with almost that exact same appearance. Very nerve wreaking to say the least…

You should watch Jrock videos. ~_^

Ok so, I've changed the forum links to "the purple". I wanted to keep the blue in the other areas of the forum that are bolded and just have "the purple" used for forum post links, but I'm not sure which stylevar to change. I might have to update the CSS.

There are 6 secondary colors as part of the new Funimation branding, which could also be used, but it would require me to also change all the images since they'd all fight with the red. I hope that this will work until Funimation.com 3.0 is ready to go. (That's FunimationNow)

• @Sophie:

You should watch Jrock videos. ~_^

Been there done that, with Good Luck Girl! The Opening song by "Piko"… I had to lock myself in my room afterwards for a few days once the truth was/is still out there to get over that "discovery"....

Ok so, I've changed the forum links to "the purple".

I hope that this will work until Funimation.com 3.0 is ready to go. (That's FunimationNow)

Yea that makes it slightly easier… I guess depends on your computer though: Lower res will have harder times seeing things. In either case, you mentioned Funimation NOW!... does that we are getting new forums as well or?...

• @thegrandalliance:

Yea that makes it slightly easier… I guess depends on your computer though: Lower res will have harder times seeing things. In either case, you mentioned Funimation NOW!... does that we are getting new forums as well or?...

We'll be updating the forum software and rearranging things when the site is updated. The transition plans are still being discussed.

• @Sophie:

We'll be updating the forum software and rearranging things when the site is updated. The transition plans are still being discussed.

Aaaa good… very timely with my thread posting I do imagine indeed :) Alas I believe all has been said that needs to be said it is so... UNTIL NEXT TIME; I WILL GET YOU THEN AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

.............................................................................................

/ceasefire

• @Sophie:

Ok so, I've changed the forum links to "the purple". I wanted to keep the blue in the other areas of the forum that are bolded and just have "the purple" used for forum post links, but I'm not sure which stylevar to change. I might have to update the CSS.

Reminds me to mention that the header and footer of each page are two different shades of purple. Not sure if the rebranding uses both purples, but it's definitely noticeable