Series Discussion Thread

• Man, how are people not talking about this?

I just finished re-watching the show in the English dub; not only is it simultaneously absolutely hilarious and incredibly touching (even putting aside Bobby), but the entire English cast did a bang-up job for the Funimation release.

Of course, all the major female characters were great, and despite being a newbie, Clifford Chaplin was great as Tsuwabuki.

I'm really surprised I had forgotten how much I loved this show back when it was simulcasting, and for a comedy to hold up this well on repeat viewing, "Binbougami ga!" is one of the best shows of the past couple years.

So, agree? Disagree?

• I'm not sure that I'd rank it as one of the best shows of the past few years. I watched episode one, dubbed, and while I enjoyed it (and was surprised by Brina) it didn't exactly inspire me to see episode 2. I think that was because I got the impression that episode one pretty much summed up what this show was going to be and in seeing one episode I felt that I'd seen all that the show would offer over its entire run. I did find it interesting that this show actually used the likeness of DBZ characters.

If Bleach and Excel Saga had a love child I believe that it would probably turn out a lot like this show.

• @sidereal_presence:

I'm not sure that I'd rank it as one of the best shows of the past few years. I watched episode one, dubbed, and while I enjoyed it (and was surprised by Brina) it didn't exactly inspire me to see episode 2. I think that was because I got the impression that episode one pretty much summed up what this show was going to be and in seeing one episode I felt that I'd seen all that the show would offer over its entire run.

I'd say the show starts out a bit weak (the first episode is just set up for the story), and gets better and better as it progresses, especially once you start to see Ichiko begin caring for the people around her, and you learn a bit more about her history and why she acts the way she does. But if you really didn't feel anything during that last exchange between Ichiko and Suwano, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Oh, and there's plenty more references, including more DBZ, in the remaining 12 episodes. At least give it a couple more episodes before you write it off completely, for the sake of your Happiness Energy.

• I would agree in saying it's definitely one of the best from 2012. It's exceptionally funny and the characters (especially Ichiko) are so, so, so, so round. She gets so much character development in just 13 episodes, it's incredible

The anime parodies are great as well, and there's so many it's really cumbersome to list them all, but there's gotta be, like, at least five anime references per episode. The dub did a great job keeping these references intact, especially for the Funimation-owned dubs - they even brought in Alexis Tipton to reprise Momiji's impersonation of Moka, and they brought in (I think) Sonny Strait to do a Lupin III voice. The best one, of course, was Clinkenbeard playing Momiji doing an impersonation of Luffy. Like, I'd been waiting for that scene ever since they announced the cast list

But anyway, this is a great show that really puts a lot of thought into peoples' feelings for one another. The whole first episode about Suwano was rushed, but overall it's great storytelling and character development when Ichiko starts caring for people she didn't previously care for

• @Riles:

The dub did a great job keeping these references intact, especially for the Funimation-owned dubs - they even brought in Alexis Tipton to reprise Momiji's impersonation of Moka, and they brought in (I think) Sonny Strait to do a Lupin III voice. The best one, of course, was Clinkenbeard playing Momiji doing an impersonation of Luffy. Like, I'd been waiting for that scene ever since they announced the cast list

Yep, I didn't look too closely at the credit rolls, but this was mentioned during one of the commentary tracks. Those cameos were handled really well, too, and blended in with Colleen's performance without being too obvious.

Glad to see someone else on the forums enjoyed the show as much as I did.

• Did anyone else notice the choppiness of the OP and ED visuals? It's apparent on both my BD's and DVD's over all my players. The show itself is fine but it really bums me out that such a great OP and ED are poor in quality. Wonder what happened.

• @ArmyofDarkness:

Did anyone else notice the choppiness of the OP and ED visuals? It's apparent on both my BD's and DVD's over all my players. The show itself is fine but it really bums me out that such a great OP and ED are poor in quality. Wonder what happened.

This has been brought to Funi's attention, and supposedly they are looking into it.

Until (if) it gets fixed, the clean opening and ending aren't affected by this issue.

• Yeah, I don't know if there is much they can do since they don't have online functioning BD's. Otherwise they might be able to patch it. It's even more strange though that the clean ones are fine but the regular ones aren't. but it is what it is.

• @ArmyofDarkness:

Yeah, I don't know if there is much they can do since they don't have online functioning BD's. Otherwise they might be able to patch it. It's even more strange though that the clean ones are fine but the regular ones aren't. but it is what it is.

In the past, companies have issued replacement discs when they needed to correct a video defect. I don't think the online functionality of BDs can even work like that (I certainly haven't seen it provide any useful features).

• I don't think they will fix it. If I'm not mistaken they still haven't fixed the ED2 of my bride is a mermaid, and that was way more broken than this. Lucky these shows are so God damn funny and enjoyable its worth
    their price anyway.

• @ArmyofDarkness:

I don't think they will fix it. If I'm not mistaken they still haven't fixed the ED2 of my bride is a mermaid, and that was way more broken than this. Lucky these shows are so God damn funny and enjoyable its worth
    their price anyway.

As I recall, that was an intentional decision; a feature rather than a bug.

• This show is SO HILARIOUS!…... Any possibilities of a season two of this show?

• It saddens me that this show isn't getting talked about more. I forgot how I came across it but I'm glad I did. It was so hilarious and had a surprisingly good story, not to mention I loved all the characters :) Everything seemed to fit perfectly together and the English top was perfect. PLEASE! Can we get 1 more season or at least a movie?
    I'm not sure how things work but I've heard it didn't sell much in Japan. What's normally the reason? Was it aired at a bad time slot? Were people just not into it?

• @tCruzin4lyfe:

It saddens me that this show isn't getting talked about more. I forgot how I came across it but I'm glad I did. It was so hilarious and had a surprisingly good story, not to mention I loved all the characters :) Everything seemed to fit perfectly together and the English top was perfect.

I can only talk about the show with myself so much…

• I think I've talked about what I can about the show unless someone brings up something specific

It will probably always be a criminally underrated show, partly because of its dumb title, and partly because its product description is pretty vague and its promoted pedigree is two shows that Funimation doesn't own

• @Riles, I have to agree. I think when I first saw the title I was put off but for some reason I watched it anyway.

What's everyones favorite episode & character?

I think mine would be the 2nd & 9th episodes (though I love them all). My fav character is Ranmaru with Momiji at a close 2nd. I also love the episode when they introduced Momo'o, it was hilarious hearing his voice in dog form :)

• @tCruzin4lyfe:

What's everyones favorite episode & character?

My fav character is Ranmaru with Momiji at a close 2nd. I also love the episode when they introduced Momo'o, it was hilarious hearing his voice in dog form :)

I'd say Ranmaru is also a favorite of mine, but I'm a sucker for tomboys, I guess. But there aren't really any characters in the show that I could really dislike, either.

Of the top of my head, I can't think of any episodes that I would name as a favorite, but I like the shrunken Ichiko, Ranmaru and the Nice Momiji episodes, but that's about 2/3rds of the show, isn't it?

• I like all the episodes as well so it's hard to really pick just one. Thee's not one i don't like but i guess my least favorite would be Ep. 3. Just really hated how Ichiko acted over Tsuwabaki's house (though the end was much better)

What was your favorite parody? I think mine would have to be the Death Note one lol.

• I don't know about you guys but episode 11 I find it hilarious that Todd is singing a song about fan service giving he is the voice of Natsu Dragnel, the lead character on Fairy Tail a series known for a lot of fan service.

Colleen I never seen her use her Luffy so much in a series outside of One Piece.

Anyway I really enjoyed this series, and I really thinking of picking it up. I think I well after I get through the latest volume of Fairy Tail out this week.

• @zcezs:

I don't know about you guys but episode 11 I find it hilarious that Todd is singing a song about fan service giving he is the voice of Natsu Dragnel, the lead character on Fairy Tail a series known for a lot of fan service.

Colleen I never seen her use her Luffy so much in a series outside of One Piece.

The English anime voice over community is so small, especially in America, I don't give much thought to these kinds of connections anymore.

And in the commentary, Colleen kept saying how much she enjoyed doing a character with as many different voices as Momiji, so she must have liked working on the dub.

• @EyeOfPain:

The English anime voice over community is so small, especially in America, I don't give much thought to these kinds of connections anymore.

And in the commentary, Colleen kept saying how much she enjoyed doing a character with as many different voices as Momiji, so she must have liked working on the dub.

Perhaps so, but when I hear the word fan service I think of Fairy Tail, that is what all the FT haters complain about, the fan service. When I hear the song, I am thinking that would be a good song for Fairy Tail OVA 5.

I enjoyed this series so much, I started reading the manga where the anime left off which was chapter 20 or 21, I up to chapter 36 now. I wish they would someone would license it.