Any projected time frame on the Samsung Smart TV app?

• Hello there,
    As the owner of a 2011 Samsung BluRay with Smart TV and a 2012 Samsung TV with Smart TV. I loved the BluRay version and I was looking forward to subscribing when the service once more became available (it was shut down when I purchased the BluRay, and still down when I got the TV.) Now the subscription service is back up but neither unit has a viable app. The one I had on the BluRay has been removed from service, completely understandable with the total site revamp, (looks great btw,) and the TV never had one available.

I know on another part of the website it says "coming soon," I was merely wondering if you might be able to hint as to when "soon" is? Another wonderful bit of information is if it will even be compatible with the Samsung units I have or will it just be for the new super expensive talk at it units?

I know the subscription would probably make my website viewing more enjoyable, but I am old and lazy and really enjoy watching anime sprawled on my couch, which sadly is quite far from my computer monitor and would be a great pain to haul up the stairs. So I'd love to know when it might be digitally sailing our way and if it'll work for my stuff.

Thanks for anything you might be able to tell us.

• I am also a samsung smart tv user and I am waiting for this to have the funimation app. There was a blog post that said it should have been here in september but other than that no word =\

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=1370

• Is there any kind of update or news about this? It's going on eight months now and not a word in I dunno how long now. Were plans scrapped completely without telling us or what? Please, tell us somethin after all this time waiting.

• Guys, there is an app for samsung televisions and there has been for a very long time. I have it on my samsung right now.

• Exactly what app is that, because the only one I ever saw was deleted months ago after the site revamp, and the Samsung app store doesn't have one listed. Plus it was shown as coming soon on FUNimations app page until just a few days ago (replaced with an ad for the Xbox app). The only other ones I've found to show FUNi shows is YouTube (not interested in annoying searches for ripped videos), and Qtv (nothing but subbed there). I've been checking pretty regularly and haven't even seen a report on progress for this, much less a release, unless it was kept hidden.

• It may be that Funimation wanted to charge for their app. They did so with the iPad (cost me $10). Samsung is no longer offering apps that cost money per their web site.

As of March 26, 2014, Samsung paid apps will no longer be available for purchase on Samsung Smart TVs and Blu-ray Players.
    All Samsung Apps in the Samsung Smart TV Apps Store will be available to download for free.
    The termination will not affect subscription-based services such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, VUDU and M-GO.
    For more information, please visit www.samsung.com/us/appstore/support/faq.

• Can we please get some confirmation from an actual Funimation rep about this? All we are suggesting is what it could be…I wanna know what it is, why , and if we can ever expect to see an app on samsung devices.

• This is getting rather annoying as I would told that a Samsung app was being worked on months ago in a email to me from one the staff of funimation. I have no plans on watching shows on a 4 inch screen on my Android phone ever, and don't think I would ever purchase a Roku, or a XBox. Consumer Reports rates Samsung as one the top performing TV's for the past few years, and they are on top as far as smart TV apps go. Funimation will continue to lose out to services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll, if a new app isn't ever developed for the Samsung market. It will only get worse as more and more Samsung smart TV's get sold to the consumers that enjoy funimation programing as smart TV's are becoming the norm these days.

I personally will never renew my funimation premium subscription as long as there is not a Samsung app for either my TV or Blu Ray player. I hope funimation is hard at work on one, and it would be appreciated if funimation would let all the Samsung owners know whats really going on with an app.

• @omniboyy:

I personally will never renew my funimation premium subscription as long as there is not a Samsung app for either my TV or Blu Ray player.

Why don't you stop sugar-coating this, and just tell us how you really feel.

Don't you think that's a bit harsh? I mean, forgive me for asking; but what did subscribers to Crunchyroll and Hulu and Netflix do before there were apps for their "smart TVs" and "Bluray Players"?

I understand that you are wanting an app, and that someone may have made some assurances about one. But if you want a quality product, you sure don't want it rushed. Let alone, come up in here with a mildly aggressive tone. If you don't want to subscribe because of an absence of an app on a specific TV brand, then that's a bit silly, but it's your choice. And until such time as the app is available, you'll be missing out on some great premium content.

• @Davidism:

Why don't you stop sugar-coating this, and just tell us how you really feel.

Don't you think that's a bit harsh? I mean, forgive me for asking; but what did subscribers to Crunchyroll and Hulu and Netflix do before there were apps for their "smart TVs" and "Bluray Players"?

I understand that you are wanting an app, and that someone may have made some assurances about one. But if you want a quality product, you sure don't want it rushed. Let alone, come up in here with a mildly aggressive tone. If you don't want to subscribe because of an absence of an app on a specific TV brand, then that's a bit silly, but it's your choice. And until such time as the app is available, you'll be missing out on some great premium content.

A bit harsh, really? I'm just saying on the front of the subscribers to Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Netflix, is that people that their only means of subscribing to such services are from their Samsung TV's, is that funimation is losing out on subscriptions to people that look for anime. Since people that have Samsung TV's can acquirer anime from those three service, why would they want to try to spend the money on third party hardware just for the means of having funimations services?

Yes I would love an app and yes an employee of funimation did assure me of one, including this website as it was listed as one of the apps "coming soon". Funimation had an app for Samsung before up until around last August (or whenever the site changed), so its not like they never had an app for Samsung's before. I'm not sure how you consider after 9+ months or waiting still, that I expecting things to be rushed? I mean come on, we are talking about 9+ months ago and still no app, nor any information as to the progress or possible release of such app. Davidism how is that silly after having premium funimation service with an app for my Samsung, to not having the app, only to be promised by a funimation employee and a soon to be app listed on this website, to still not having anything to show for it 9+ months later? All people have been doing is waiting for something that was promised and it has yet come to fruition.

My biggest deal is that I just want to know about the progress being made or the release timetable of such app. I'm sure the people above, plus the others that have posted to the other countless posts containing this situation would like to know also. Why would they be so adamant on bringing apps to smart phones and such, as funimation provides services that tailored to TV first not phones? I can handle missing out on some of premium content as I have no intention on watching content on a android smart phone or tablet, the rest of the content that I don't miss out on comes from Hulu or Netflix as they provide some of the same content that is streamed on the funimation site.

• Normally if Funimation isn't commenting on an exact time it's due to:
    -Too many variables preventing them on getting an exact time set.
    -Planned release is too far and so announcements will be made closer to release to set interest.
    -The project is on the back-burner until other more profitable projects are completed thus freeing up more manpower/funding.

The best thing you can do is let Funimation know you want the app on Samsung via their online surveys, although you should know that the bulk of Funimation's income comes from physical releases so they will never be quite as focused as say Netflix or Hulu which gets their profits solely from streaming.

• @St0ck:

Normally if Funimation isn't commenting on an exact time it's due to:
    -Too many variables preventing them on getting an exact time set.
    -Planned release is too far and so announcements will be made closer to release to set interest.
    -The project is on the back-burner until other more profitable projects are completed thus freeing up more manpower/funding.

The best thing you can do is let Funimation know you want the app on Samsung via their online surveys, although you should know that the bulk of Funimation's income comes from physical releases so they will never be quite as focused as say Netflix or Hulu which gets their profits solely from streaming.

Funimation did comment on an exact time last year and they seemed to not follow through with it for whatever reason as of yet. It was listed as "Coming in late July/early August" and that was on June 29th of 2013, also in August or so one of the Funimation staff said it was coming out shortly in an email sent to me. I was having problems with my premium account and I also noticed they had taken down the old Funimation app off the Samsung smart TV's as suddenly my app diapered and I asked the support staff about that at the time. I can see them taking a little longer then planned maybe a month or 2, but that was over 9 months ago. I mean can it really take that long? They had an existing Samsung app that for the most part worked, so its not like they would have to start from scratch one would think.

Here's the link to the old app release dates:
    http://www.funimation.com/blog/2013/06/29/new-funimation-apps-coming-soon/

If I could be pointed in the direction of any Funimation survey/s I'd gladly fill one out. Also I do not know that Funimation gets the bulk of their income from "physical releases", you nor I are privy to that information unless someone that knows wants to divulge the information on that topic percentage wise. I'm sure Netflix or Hulu get a majority of their profits solely from streaming. But times are changing and streaming is becoming more and more popular, as higher bandwidth speeds are more present to homes then ever before. Also the advancement of High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) or also known as H.265 (the new standard for UHD/4k video) can reduce bitrate up to 50% on 1080p video over the old AVC/H.264 (the Blu Ray standard). This means with some of the new decoders coming out that sending High Def 720p/1080p video will be easier as the bandwidth will be cut in half thus making it easier to stream high quality videos then ever before.

• @omniboyy:

Also I do not know that Funimation gets the bulk of their income from "physical releases", you nor I are privy to that information unless someone that knows wants to divulge the information on that topic percentage wise.

Percentage-wise? No idea, but 15 minutes into latest ANNCast? Boom. ;P

• @TIL:

Percentage-wise? No idea, but 15 minutes into latest ANNCast? Boom. ;P

That's talks about online DVD/Blu Ray sales verses retail store DVD/Blu Ray sales, not online steaming verses DVD/Blu Ray which is what we are talking about.

• @TIL:

Funimation gets the bulk of their income from "physical releases", you nor I are privy to that information

They just told you.

• @TIL:

They just told you.

No they did not. He says and I quote "The majority of our sales is gonna be via internet, physical product on the internet". They talked about their sales online (which is DVD's and Blu Ray's sales online) compared to sales at retail stores such as Best Buy and what not. It has nothing at all to do with steaming shows and movies. I've listened to the whole pod cast including that part 4 or 5 times now.

• http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-06-07
    92 minutes in

You make some good points on the benefits of streaming, not really pertinent to the topic of why Funimation has yet to set a fixed release date on their Samsung streaming app, but I applaud you for defending your chosen method of viewing anime with a ferocity befitting an internet discussion…

However it does lead us back to square one with absolutely no answers...

• St0ck, yeah, I rarely purchase DVD's/Blu Ray's unless they are absolutely a stellar series or movie. One would figure that Funimation would find it in their best interest to maximize their profits. The only way to do that is to make apps for as many hardware devises as they can since they are already in the streaming department. I only pointed out the benefits of streaming as it seems to be an immensely growing market. Just in the past year alone Netflix (which is the number one streaming site) went from 23.41 million subscribers to 29.17 million subscribers in the past year. That's over a 25% increase in subscribers in one year, that's huge. Studies have shown that streaming will become more and more popular, as more TV's, Blu Ray players, Game consoles, and the list of hardware devises will and do provide access to the ever growing video streaming market.

I'm just hoping that someone can provide some/any information on any progress or a timetable on a Samsung app. It's been some time since they took the old app off the Samsung market, and I can only hope they are currently in the works on a new one.

• We are looking into getting apps on as many devices as possible in as short a time as possible. Sometimes, the priorities of what apps are coming out in what order shift during development– this is due to a very large number of interconnected factors.

The next app to come out will definitely be an app for the Xbox. The app after that is currently scheduled to be a PlayStation app, though that's subject to change.

There is not yet an official, announced release date for any app on any system.

• Does the website player conversion for chomecast come before or after the standalone aps Cj ;)

• It's considered an "app" just like any others, so it's being looked into in the same manner as all potential devices are being looked into. There's not really a distinction in our team that I'm aware of between a "conversion" app, like AppleTV or Chromecast and a "full-on" app like Xbox. (my terms, not theirs)

So any Chromecast app would, CURRENTLY, be after an Xbox and PS app– but all of that is subject to change. The only thing that is definite is the Xbox app is next. After that, things are still not set in stone in terms of what will finish development first.