Switching From dubbed to subbed.

• Ive watched loads of anime but ive been watching dubs cause well i speak english, ive put off so many great animes for the reason of there is no dubbed version, does anyone have suggestions on making the switch from dubbed to subbed?

Ive seen most of the good dubs out there and just wanting to branch out so suggest anime that would be a good one to try the switch on.

• I think, above all, the best way to switch to subs is to watch shows that don't have a dub, rather than any subjective mark of what is a good and bad dub

Hunter x Hunter is the first one that comes to mind, in terms of great shows with no dub. Gintama is also an excellent choice in the eyes of many. Some people may say the Monogatari series, starting with Bakemonogatari, but that may prove difficult for a first-time sub reader

Alternatively, you can check out shows that are currently simulcasting in from Japan. If there's one that has a neat synopsis, and you can't wait for a dub to come out, it might be worth your while to get the jump on a possible dub in order to experience the story as quickly as possible. Check the simulcast shows here and on Crunchyroll to see if maybe there's a story happening now that you can't wait to see

I used to watch dubs only, but my path to subs mixed in stemmed from my huge dislike of the English voices of one of the shows I tried to watch, to the point where I felt like I HAD to switch. Who knows - maybe if you're patient ebough, the same thing will happen to you

• Yea defiantly wanting to try subs to watch shows without dubs and if i like it its always nice to watch the show as its released instead of waiting for the dub and ill check some of those anime's out when i get the chance

• I agree with Riles. I think starting at a simulcast is a good start. Its a good way to avoid being tempted to go back to the dub.

Otherwise, what kind of shows do you like? We can start by suggesting some to get going on the Sub.

• @priestesstyrande:

I agree with Riles. I think starting at a simulcast is a good start. Its a good way to avoid being tempted to go back to the dub.

Otherwise, what kind of shows do you like? We can start by suggesting some to get going on the Sub.

I like many shows Stiens;Gate was my favorite Tokyo Ghoul,Black Lagoon,N.H.K,Noragami Fate/Zero was fantastic im enjoying Monster right now Mirai nikki was enjoyable just cause i love yuno

Occasionally i like some ecchi like DxD and im watching kanokon right now

Im probably missing a ton

• Dub over Sub I will say Sub because you could heard the Original Voice , If Dub a Option I could Take it. But I will be saying it which anime or which to not watch Dub. But a Recommendation watch the Noragami Season 2.

• @chase45119:

Ive watched loads of anime but ive been watching dubs cause well i speak english, ive put off so many great animes for the reason of there is no dubbed version, does anyone have suggestions on making the switch from dubbed to subbed?

Ive seen most of the good dubs out there and just wanting to branch out so suggest anime that would be a good one to try the switch on.

I've watched both, and not surprisingly sometimes the Sub voices are even better than the Dub and fit the characters so much better. The reverse is also true. Mayo Chiki I honestly can't watch the dub anymore because the Sub was so good. The reverse is true of Love, Chunibyo and other Delusions, the Dub voices just crush the Sub voices… and give the feel of it being so much warmer.

Another example is... "Is this a Zombie?"... the script writing is so much better in the DUB version, the SUB tends not to transfer well. But in other cases the DUB version, the script writing, while good, misses the nuances intended in the actual Japanese version like D-Frag does on occasion. Now both these were REALLY good dubs and hilarious, two of my favorite comedy animes, but if you watch both sub and dub versions, often times, one version will be better than the other.

I tend to like the higher pitch Japanese mouse voices for many of the characters... so I tend to like a lot of subs.

That said... this is not the case for most people...

......and a lot of the SUBed versions of anime you have to hit the pause button on to catch all of the things being said at once because the characters tend to talk over each other a lot, and things get said in the background you can't read fast enough before they're gone.

So in many cases the Subbed versions of things are lost on people.

Really... in order to get something some kind of appeal... you really do HAVE to dub it...

• I actually had to get high to start watching subs. It allowed my mind to drift. I don't recommend that though. Lol.

I started season one of noragami in dubs, but then since it had been a month and the first thing you forget is audio, I was able to watch subs when it simulcasted season 2. So worth it. It was also one of the easier transitions. I can't seem to do that to fairy tail or maken ki though. (I also stopped smoking pot though, sadly).

Since I read so fast, I can keep up with subs even in rapid fire, but when I am reading, sometimes I miss an action. Which to me is sometimes more valuable than what they say. I also always have to pause when I look away from a sub episode and I don't have to do that for dubs. So sometimes it also depends on your concentration.

I focus better and have higher motivation when I am high, weird I know, but I lack the dynamic connections I do when I am sober, I am also more serious when sober, so I miss easy going humor when I am sober. I am easily amused when I am stoned. Lol.

All that to say, it really depends on how much brain power you are willing to put in. And finding transitions can be tough.

• I switched from dubs to subs because:
    1. I have roommates that will complain if they hear certain stuff on the TV, so I set it to a language that they do not know (Basically, not English).
    2. I know Funimation does this at least, but if you compare what the people say in English to the subs, you will see that they changed the script to make it more appealing to creeps (Oh you're so (you know)!! in English when it never said that in the sub.). It doesn't make the show better either.
    3. Voice actors. I hate it when I hear a 15 year old boy's voice for a 6 year old boy character. I'd rather have it sound natural.

Also, it takes you a bit to learn how to handle/process reading subs and watching what's happening at the same time.
    I read really fast because I had a brother who read through books really fast when I was young. I wanted to be better at him at that, so I'm practically at his level on speed reading now.
    I can predict the future with 99% accuracy (My predictions are rarely false! And no, do not interpret it as 99.9% or 99.99%. I am telling the truth. I find it amusing.) when it comes to an anime/movie/tv series, manga/graphic novel, or book. If I miss a scene, I can piece it back together, but that is useless information here. If you miss a scene, don't panic or anything. You can either go back and watch it again or try to figure out what they said. For me, I just move on and don't care if I miss a line (Especially when they get to the religious, psychological, or other crap that I just can't stand and that ruins an episode for me. I usually just miss subtitled lines on purpose.). You can usually be fine if you miss just a little bit of an episode.

I'm high all the time without drugs or anything like that. It makes me do stupid stuff online sometimes as well.

• I used to have an aversion to subs as well, but then I started watching One Piece. I watched all of the dubbed content that existed, and I didn't want to just stop watching One Piece, so then I switched to the sub version. By the time I finished it, I'd watched like 400 episodes of subbed One Piece, and then the notion of watching subtitled anime didn't bother me anymore. I quickly came to realize that there are pros and cons of both dub and sub.

• For me there is not either this or that, only both. I watch whatever is available at the time when I want to see a show. If both are I pick dub because I have bad eyesight and it allows me to complete it faster without constantly pausing it. For the good ones that I end up adding to my anime DVD/BD collection, I make it a point to alternate language tracks when rewatching stuff if they have more than one language available. For me this is actually pretty fun as I get to see multiple takes on the same show, which adds to the rewatchability factor.

• I agree with you. not saying I wouldn't watch subbed anime but sometimes id rather not read subtitles lol. and yeah ive noticed there are a lot of good anime that just didn't make the cut for dubbed.

did u only watch thos shows dubbed or subbed? I love the English voice actors. like Justin Cook, j. Michael Tatum, Steve Blum….and so on....but what other animes are good subbed? the only one Ive watched so far tht was subbed was Parasite before it came on Adult Swim.

EDIT: Please do not double post. Use the Edit Post button instead. -SH

• This post is deleted!

• I primarily watch dubs, but I do watch some simulcasts subbed. As mentioned earlier, try and find a subbed show that sounds super interesting to you. Seems obvious, but subs always seem harder for me to sit through if I'm on the fence about the quality of the anime. I'm watching Erased this season, and Yamishibai season 3 (an anime series of under-5-minute horror stories) on Crunchyroll, so I'd recommend those.

• I dislike all of you. I want my subs back. I like reading, and the sound of the voices fills in the rest. It's rather relaxing, not truly being able to judge a voice on hearing it.

I appreciate dubs, and many are good quality. However I really do enjoy subs much more [deleted rambling]. Going with dubs exclusively has killed a little part of my refuge - filling it with a bitter aftertaste.

• Finally, welcome to subbed club, M8

You'll soon realize how everything gets better.

• I want my subs back, I despise dubbed anime. They do such terrible jobs on the voices

• @backscratch said in Switching From dubbed to subbed.:

I want my subs back, I despise dubbed anime. They do such terrible jobs on the voices

gotta got to crunchyroll