The Good and Bad of this New Season (Opinions)

• I wanted to make a topic where everybody can discuss what new shows they are watching. This makes things easier than looking at a new show's forum to see whether or not people are enjoying it.

So, I'll start with what I've started watching. I'm not interested that much in the new shows this season. Some really stand out that I like but the rest are meh. But, maybe somebody will say something to change my mind.

Also, this stuff might contain spoilers.

The first show I watched is Pandora and the Crimson Shell Ghost Urn. For starters, I got interested by the title. Really made me think of Ghost in the Shell. Then I saw it was from the mind behind GitS: totally sold. Then I saw it was also from the guy that did Excel Saga. Well, now my interest is combined with morbid curiosity. You know, the kind you get when you drive by a big car crash. Now, I can't say what I was expecting was groundbreaking but more mind-blowing / numbing and, to a degree, that's what I got. There was hints at some deeper stuff like you'd get in GitS, but something that was never really touched on in it, with it talking about what the early cyborgs can and can't do. But it was also random and very comedic (if you found what they said funny) but they didn't do anything that was too random like resetting the show 5 times in the first episode. Also, there may be an evil organization using an idiot to do things for them. That organization also makes their people wear fetish suits. I'm not sure though because it kind of ended when it was starting. But, I felt that about many of the shows I watched this season. Really want to see the second episode so I can figure out what this show is about.

The next show I watched was Dimension W. Now, this one I'm looking forward to. What they showed off in the first episode was good and I want to see the next episode but I at least feel like they finished their story for this first episode. The main guy seems cool and I like the intro but I don't know if that intro actually reflects him or not. I'll be watching, waiting, for him to bust a move at some point. I also like the main female(?) he'll be working with. Also, this could just be me but it really feels like they tried to make her a cat chick without making her into a cat chick. The story looks interesting and I'm getting a strong iRobot vibe from it so I'm in for the long haul.

The last show, so far, that I have watched is Grimgar and the rest of the name I don't remember. Seems pretty good. It's also a show that is, probably, set in a game but one, as somebody already pointed out, is more of a DnD than a WoW which is unique. First episode mainly spent its time showing a little bit of what happened at the beginning, while still leaving a lot a mystery, and also setting up some of the characters. Main party consists of 6 people (4 male, 2 female) each a different class. There was a little fight at the beginning which they lost(?) but not much other action. This is because they are supposed to be weak and can't kill the weakest enemy in the realm 6v1 so whether or not more action is to come is up for debate. also, the characters don't remember the past but somethimes remember words like games or cell phones. Also, there's another party of actually good fighters that came with them but ditched them (like the noobs they were) that may be an antagonist. Really want to see episode 2 to see how it progresses. They might kill a boss next episode or they might kill a Goblin. Who knows. But, I'm already pretty interested.

The only other new show this season I'm really looking forward to is the 2nd part of Gate but I don't think it's out yet.

So, what shows are yall watching this new season?

• Well I did catch some of these and watch the first episode… subbed...

But.... here goes...

Dagashi Kashi:
    Lol ok this one is probably going to be pretty good... that chick is all flavors of weird and all kinds of screwy. I think I like her... I am liking the tone on this one, even though a candy shop isn't really what I'd call exciting. Still.... I hadn't planned on watching this one, but after the first episode, I want to now.

Norn9: Introductory phase, artwork and animation is stunning... though has this misty type dream haze around it. Feels strangely cool and definitely fantasy. Not enough in it to judge yet, but it does have a kind of mysterious quality to it. Could be pretty cool, but not enough to make up my mind yet.

Erased: Good premise, nice beginning, looks like it has all the elements I was expecting, kind of a cliffhanger first episode though. Looking forward to it. This one is all shades of Stein's Gate.

Myriad Colors Phantom World: Hilarious first episode, and I really like the characters in this one. The Limbo scene to stop the telephone pole spirits just rocked, I like the characters in this one. kind of an immature starting point... but the characters are great so far, and the interactions are right up my alley. This is another one I hadn't planned to watch, but after seeing this... I think it may be worth my time.

Haruchika: Surprisingly cool opener, but really just not my thing... others might like it though. Its a brass band type thing with an opening love mystery. pretty clever actually. Just not my type of love (not into Yuri or Yaoi).

Gate 2: Ok I was already sold on this one after the first season, but the second season opener is already continuing the same kind of awesome I liked in the first one. This one might be turning a little overly serious though which gets away from its light hearted 1st season style.

Koyomimonogatari: Obviously I'm a fan of this series so, one can expect me to like it... that said, that first episode is was really kind of different from the norm, and surprisingly perfect. Instead of dealing with Oddities... its actually the reverse... and I'm sure Araragi felt pretty stupid when he finally figured it out. Great way to start a series of short stories that fill in little gaps in the Monogatari series.

Divine Gate: This one has some supreme graffics and artwork. Might be a little overly angsty, but its a stunning watch. Not sure this is one I'll like, but it definitely has some merit to it. And I think it will be a worthwhile watch.

Phantasy Star 2: Can't say it is all that coherent currently... but this episode sets up what just might be a really good and clumsily funny romance. Again some really stunning graffics in game. Will have to see how this one plays out.

• So, I actually watched some more shows. Also, still processing how I feel about Pandora. Weird show.

• All I know is that Grimar of Fantasy/Ash is horrible and unwatchable unless your like under the age of 13… I cannot stand the kiddi-ness of that show (O LOOK MORE SUPER YOUNG KIDS SAVE ZE WORLD!). Not unlike some of the latter "Tales RPG" games (which is a better comparison then to Dungeons/Dragons).

Even the voice work Japanese side is terrible... this show would be English-only if that. IT is horrible show all around...

• @thegrandalliance:

All I know is that Grimar of Fantasy/Ash is horrible and unwatchable unless your like under the age of 13… I cannot stand the kiddi-ness of that show (O LOOK MORE SUPER YOUNG KIDS SAVE ZE WORLD!). Not unlike some of the latter "Tales RPG" games (which is a better comparison then to Dungeons/Dragons).

Even the voice work Japanese side is terrible... this show would be English-only if that. IT is horrible show all around...

See now I'm the complete opposite… I am completely addicted to Grimgar...

In fact I've actually gone out and started reading the light novel translations and the whole 9 yards. So far... out of ALL of the other shows, its the only one that's been able to hook me.

The rest have been decent... but this one... this one has me obsessed.

• @Phoenixus:

See now I'm the complete opposite… I am completely addicted to Grimgar...

Its fine… this ANime has its intended demographics and it can be expected such people will like it. For someone who "grew up" on "real" series such as "The Slayers" and "Record of Lodus War" (pardon my spelling) something such as this one simply breaks one's heart nonetheless. Excessive use of "overused metaphors" if you will is problem. Like I said before, this Anime series is not unlike the game/anime of Tales franchise (which also ruined that game series; Tales of Phantasia is always #1), and if you like that sort of stuff so be it I suppose.

...alas another reason Nintendo Wii/U is horrible, nonetheless a long story otherwise.

• Alright two things.

@thegrandalliance:

For someone who "grew up" on "real" series such as "The Slayers" and "Record of Lodus War

I mean all three come from Japan and are all anime. Only difference is that you dislike one and fondly enjoy the other. Like nostalgia is great, but the shows you remember fondly from the past are the ones that stand the test of time. There's probably as many shows in the past you don't enjoy too. The bad things of the past just tend to not stand the test of time as much as the good things do.

I don't hate Grimgar, and I felt the second episode actually had a pretty decent fight scene with the goblins. Also I appreciate how the main character isn't overpowered, and how not every single girl is trying to ride his nuts (both reoccurring trends that irk me). But I will say I do have my fair share of problems with the series, and I can only hope it starts picking up in future episodes.

@thegrandalliance:

…alas another reason Nintendo Wii/U is horrible, nonetheless a long story otherwise.

Also what exactly does this have to not do with liking Grimgar? Like I'm not mad, I'm just more…confused as to where you went from Grimgar, to old anime classics, to the Tales series, and then to the Wii U.

• @thegrandalliance:

Its fine… this ANime has its intended demographics and it can be expected such people will like it. .

Its not just me…

I've been around to many boards and sites... Grimgar is picking up a large number of people who really are into it. The comment sections on this one are exploding.

• Personally, I just found Grimgar kinda boring, but I do see it having lots of potential.

It is a breath of fresh air to have a "trapped in the game" kind of show where the main characters aren't total over-powered badasses for a change. Even killing a single goblin is a team effort.

If nothing else, it's loads better than SAO. Then again, an inflamed urinary infection is better than SAO, so…. :hmm:

• On that note… of the ones I talked about before above... these are the ones I'm STILL watching... after the opening episodes are these ones...

Dagashi Kashi:
    Yup she's still just as screwy each and every episode, and I have not failed to be entertained by this one. Not much substance, but a very good light hearted crazy, screwy chick that I just love to watch her screwball antics.

Erased:
    Yup liked it just as much as I thought I would... but I'm going to stop watching until its completed... one thing I've learned about this type of Anime is that you really have to marathon these kinds... otherwise you'll be sitting there from cliffhanger to cliffhanger waiting for the next episode... so this time I'm going to wait it out and marathon the whole thing.

Myriad Colors Phantom World:
    Hilarious first episode, AND... still hilarious same kind of Ecchi it started as, still screwy and unusual and light hearted... Another one with the kind of appeal that Dagashi has, just a different type.

Gate 2:
    I almost stopped watching this one but as of Episode 3 its starting to get back to its roots... and its looking like its going to be back on track as of episode 4, and move back to the original string of people and scenarios that made it so great in the first place.

Koyomimonogatari:
    These episodes have been a little short and not as engrossing as the other parts of the Monogatari series... but you know I'll keep watching because they really have the same feel of the series. And I just really get off on the entire wordplay and artistic nature of this show.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash:
    Did NOT think I would get so obsessed with this one. I thought it would be just a good show to watch originally... but now I'm just hooked on it, the Artistic style made me want to look, the premise hooked me, and the mystery behind it as well as the style of characters is sooo reminiscent of old school Dungeons and Dragons (1st level characters) that I can't help myself. This just feels soo good to me and so familiar in a strange kind of way. I am definitely hooked on it.

• @SpacemanHardy:

If nothing else, it's loads better than SAO. Then again, an inflamed urinary infection is better than SAO, so…. :hmm:

…......SAO is epix IDK what your talking about... O wait it isn't Funimation product that's y.... :)

@Phoenixus:

Its not just me…

I've been around to many boards and sites... Grimgar is picking up a large number of people who really are into it. The comment sections on this one are exploding.

Of course, I would expect sub 18 population to like it… maybe perhaps a bit older. Let me know when you get loads of 29+ liking that series...

@classyspartan:

Also what exactly does this have to not do with liking Grimgar? Like I'm not mad, I'm just more…confused as to where you went from Grimgar, to old anime classics, to the Tales series, and then to the Wii U.

I am saying the same "people" (American AND Japanese especially) that think all of these are watchable/playable games/media are the same people who's large block of buying/consuming product and thus displacing others is what is ruining the Anime/Japanese VIdeo game/Everything industry in general. Funding goes to what sells… and apparently an Anime/JRPG with a legitimately epic story doesn't sell anymore post 2006.

Reason? Social Media/Twitter made young people so mentally primitive with an inherit lack of critical thinking skills, that results in everything being dumbed down. New StarTrek/Wars by J.J. Abrams? "MOST EPIX EVER; BEST OF ALL TIME..."

Ode to the Wise I suppose it is so...

• This post is deleted!

• really determined to believe that only teens can like this, aren't ya?

• @Getchman:

really determined to believe that only teens can like this, aren't ya?

Teens, and anyone who hasn't mentally matured thereafter that is. IDK how this series can be tolerated… MUST PUNCH TV SCREEN!

• Hey, TGA? Just a little suggestion, but…

How about you tone down that condescending attitude, just a little? No need to mock people's taste and intelligence just because they enjoy something you don't. :hmm:

• Of the new series this season, it's looking like it's only Dimension W that I'll be keeping up with. I'm currently liking the art style and story setting so I can only hope it goes in a good direction plot-wise. It somewhat reminds me of a BONES series.

Other than that, I am watching Sekko Boys because its premise is so stupid that I'm enjoying it. Plus they're short episodes.

• @thegrandalliance:

Teens, and anyone who hasn't mentally matured thereafter that is. IDK how this series can be tolerated… MUST PUNCH TV SCREEN!

Ohhhh…. I see now...

You're just one of those wannabe elitist that thinks you know everything that.... well you don't...

• I'm going to keep watching Pandora in the Crimson Shell and Dimension W as my simulcasts this season while I watch/rewatch other things.

I like how crimson shell feels like a prequel series to ghost in the shell.

Dimension W just makes me want to keep watching it, even though the premise (world where energy problems are solved by X) is a bit cliched. There's nothing wrong with ass-kicking.

I did recently finish Blood Blockade Battlefront and I must admit, I'm surprised it did as well as it did.
    @thegrandalliance:

I am saying the same "people" (American AND Japanese especially) that think all of these are watchable/playable games/media are the same people who's large block of buying/consuming product and thus displacing others is what is ruining the Anime/Japanese VIdeo game/Everything industry in general. Funding goes to what sells… and apparently an Anime/JRPG with a legitimately epic story doesn't sell anymore post 2006.

Reason? Social Media/Twitter made young people so mentally primitive with an inherit lack of critical thinking skills, that results in everything being dumbed down. New StarTrek/Wars by J.J. Abrams? "MOST EPIX EVER; BEST OF ALL TIME..."

As far as trapped in a video game goes, I can agree, its very over-done, and frankly, not what I imagine it would be like. But I can come to enjoy some of them if they didn't focus on characters no-one (aka me) don't like (looking at Log Horizon). And personally I just don't like older anime, its age shows very easily and I just can't get past it, and sometimes its the drawing styles too… or the dub quality.

! Everyone has different tastes dude and I think you have what's killing the game industry wrong. I'd make the arguement of the over-abundance and reliance of DLC would be ruining the game industry and reboots to serieses that were long dead either ruin or strengthen the entertainment industry. No one, to my knowledge, was asking/demanding for a new Star Trek and we got one. Everyone stopped asking for new Star Wars, then Disney bought it and announced 3 more the week they did.

And I'll be the first to say that Force Awakens was right in the middle in terms of me liking it, 653 were way better if you ask me.

• @thegrandalliance:

You are fundamentally insufferable

• Now now, children. Let's all behave.

No more insulting each other, or each others' taste in animooz & mangoes, agreed? :)

• @CostlyAxis:

Of the new series this season, it's looking like it's only Dimension W that I'll be keeping up with. I'm currently liking the art style and story setting so I can only hope it goes in a good direction plot-wise. It somewhat reminds me of a BONES series.

Dimension W kind of looks like it could be either a BONES or Manglobe show and it works as either. Story's not that solid but the character designs are neat and the action and setting are pretty solid.