Excellent Choice on Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

• I just watched the first episode… and I was really impressed by it....

Part of it has to do with the fact its actually surprisingly like a 1st level party in the old Basic Dungeons and Dragons... its just so close, heck maybe even closer to 1st Ed... ever wonder what it was like in the beginning days? This one really nails it. Its not "officially" Dungeons and Dragons... but honestly if you were to portray the oldest versions of that game... this is it...

Its not like a video game at all... its like the old table top version. Its bringing back old memories :)

• Now to me it was a really slow episode, not enough of the mystery of what happened and why they are there. Then them sucking beyond belief at their chosen jobs didn't help. So it needs to pick it up a bit in the next episode.

Log Horizon's Junior Squad (Minori, Toya, Isuzu, Rudy and Serara) are more interesting than these guys and that's saying something.

• I liked what I've seen so far. It feels interesting and I'm totally getting the DnD feel to the game they are stuck in. And while a little more action would've been good I feel like I got to know a little bit about the characters. Also, they are supposed to be weak so I'm okay with them not slaying a boss in episode one. now, whether or not they choose to quickly move past them being weak is something I'm interested in seeing. Either choice can really change the tone of the show.

• @Series5Ranger:

Now to me it was a really slow episode, not enough of the mystery of what happened and why they are there. Then them sucking beyond belief at their chosen jobs didn't help. So it needs to pick it up a bit in the next episode..

Well… that's really the point I'm getting at here... Have you ever played a first level character in D&D?

You can't hit squat... your skills suck so bad you can't even make a roll to save your life... and even goblins are tough...

This thing plays out exactly like the real thing... not a video game.

They nailed it for what they were trying to accomplish.

This thing really feels like a PnP D&D game.

• Man, I got to admit I'm a nerd. I play Sentinels of the Multiverse, Anachronisms, Magic (Formerly), Yugi-Oh (formerly), and Pokémon (formerly). However, I have never played Dungeons and Dragons so I cannot understand what you guys are talking about. I can grasp that these kids are in a video game at the very least because of those references to gaming they no longer understand, the modern clothing they arrive in, and the whole class choice system the game demands. The reason I state the obvious is because I'm super excited about the genre and I'm excited for all the extremely dark potential this story may have. Everyone knows SAO is dark story where characters die and may know that Hiro Mashima writes dark manga for the most part, excluding Fairy Tail. As I watched the first episode I was pleased to see the protagonist Haruhiro have a unique master in the thief guild. Because his master wore glasses, an egregious anachronism, it is possible she is a player instead of an NPC. If this is true, it becomes difficult to discern what is an NPC and what is not an NPC. Some where in the episode a main character comments how players can make a living inside villages and how it comes with its own challenges. Vendors may be NPCs or perhaps they are players trying to make a safe profit. To examine the possible cynicism of the writers furthermore, in the first fight the audience sees the party of main characters fighting a scrawny goblin using a feeble ax. During the battle the audience hears Manato the priest lecturing his party on how all being are live and will fight to stay that way. The correlation in the context is that the team has to give it their all to win and vice-versa the goblin will do the same. It could also be possible that the goblin seen in the fight is not a goblin, but a solo player. The computer program could deliver the perception of players outside of ones party to be contrary the perception of players inside of villages. Weak opposing players are displayed as scrawny feeble goblins while stronger opponents could be something else. This format could force combat to level up and explain why new players are being "awakened." However, the connection is not only in Manato's speech. In who evers monologue that explains working inside village also speaks of camping outside the village. This male character explains that it can be dangerous. As the audience comes closer to the end of the episode the party of main characters has lunch; They then stumble across a party of goblins also having lunch. These goblins have a roaring fire as if they are camping and the archer heroine Yume notes that those goblins are eating better food than the main characters are. If those goblins were NPCs the food selection would be irrelevant, if they were players they might be inclined to get better food. None of this can be proven, but all of this has my mouth watering for the next episode. Hopefully we can get more data about this world.

• I'll see if I can't explain DnD to you Nick. DnD (Dungeons and Dragons) is a PnP (Pen and Paper) game. There are some video game versions of it but it is mostly still PnP. You start off with a character sheet which you use to make your character (one that is normally pretty weak) and then you follow along with whatever story your DungeonMaster (DM) is telling. The DM controls the game. He is basically the game code. Also, while there is story to follow, it is not set. You can control how the game plays to a degree. Some DMs are more strict than others but some will allow some goofing off. One example might be them allowing you to say exactly what you want to to the shopkeeper and the DM choosing what option that most closely relates to. It kind of how them talking about cell phones and games happen. You might say something that your character would never know. also, combat is done through dice rolls. If you have never done that, you should try it. It's "fun". Combat can go so wrong so quick. Like rolling a critical failure on a fireball and it blowing up in your face. That is something I hope we see at some point.

• Ha, that does sound entertaining to watch. However, I do not favor that these kids are using their imaginations in a DnD game. It discredits the sense of danger one experiences. One can simply walk away from a board game, but one may have a harder time leaving a video game as depicted by SAO. Even if the danger is not death at the very least one will have to accomplish all his or her feats in the game that was accomplished up to that point. The play style of DnD format could be entertaining as long as risk remains present. Part of the reason I am foaming at the mouth here is the first episode placed emphasis on there are plenty of problems to attend to, one can never mess up or may pay for it with his or her life. Also, I cannot play DnD. I do not have enough nerd friends like that.

• @nickcouper:

Also, I cannot play DnD. I do not have enough nerd friends like that.

Same here man. I wish I had people to play it with. It's really fun and frustrating. But I like those games.

• Well there is a translation of the storyline from a website… it gives this introduction...

Hey, folks. My name"s hikaslap, and I"m glad to introduce to you our translation of Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, or Grimgar of Ashes and Illusion, by Ao Jyumonji. Grimgar is a book about kids stuck in an unforgiving story — which the author pumps as full of JRPG conventions as he can. Gold pieces? Yes. Instant learning of skills? Yes. Steady level growth, painless day-to-day life, grand epic plot?

From all the games we"ve played, you might think yes, but the answer to that one is no. These kids fight tooth and nail, agonize week after week, in a world where the only goal is earning money — or at least enough money to not sleep hungry that night. It"s a struggle without flair or sparkle, in spite of the fantastic (and blatantly game-esque) magic and weapons they wield. In this story, life plods on everyday, and between the deaths and drama, gradually they find out where they"ve been headed this whole time. They find out where it is that they want to go. Wasn"t it the same for you?

• @Phoenixus:

Well there is a translation of the storyline from a website… it gives this introduction...

I don't think episode 2 can come quick enough. And that's weird. It's not my favorite show to air this season but it is the one that has me the most eager to see what's next.

• @betuor:

I don't think episode 2 can come quick enough. And that's weird. It's not my favorite show to air this season but it is the one that has me the most eager to see what's next.

Me too for some reason,

I actually went to that website to read the translation for the next couple chapters and I'm seriously hooked… and that's WITHOUT the pictures or animation... I don't know how close the anime will stick to the light novel... but If its even somewhat close its going to be a really gripping one.

• Wow, looks like this one is covering a lot of ground really fast too.

And its being surprisingly close to the light novel. That Goblin fight in Episode 2 is almost identical. The second part of that episode was kind of a montage of all the things that go on after they kill their first goblin.

Looks like Episode 3 is where its really going to start to heat up. The next part is the Goblin Town.

• This latest was pretty good. As gruesome as it was I found it hysterical. I just imagined seeing -1 every time the goblin got stab

• Unfortunately, I find this series very unbearable to watch. The show is "way too kiddie"… with all the main characters young kids. IT is another "Kids Save the World" pretext, and for someone who isn't under age of 13 this is hard to watch. This is especially true because none of these characters are presented with any honorable or otherwise "reason I should care" basis for them being "the only ones who can save the world". Furthermore the quality of some of the voice acting by the Japanese is also horrible; if specifics are necessary I can perhaps explain in detail, nonetheless nothing like Japanese ANime used to be a decade ago it is so.

• @thegrandalliance:

Unfortunately, I find this series very unbearable to watch. The show is "way too kiddie"… with all the main characters young kids. IT is another "Kids Save the World" pretext, and for someone who isn't under age of 13 this is hard to watch. This is especially true because none of these characters are presented with any honorable or otherwise "reason I should care" basis for them being "the only ones who can save the world".

Fortunately, there's been absolutely no indication that these characters, or anyone else is going to "save the world." At this point, all they're trying to do is survive in the situation they've found themselves.

As for their ages, nothing's been stated (due to amnesia), but most seem like young adults, mainly high school and possibly college aged. And since they don't remember where they came from, there's been very little in the way of school life drama so far, and hopefully that remains the case.

• @EyeOfPain:

Fortunately, there's been absolutely no indication that these characters, or anyone else is going to "save the world." At this point, all they're trying to do is survive in the situation they've found themselves.

It is only like Episode 3 or so… of course they are going to have to save the world, why else does Anime exist? The setup may take awhile but just you wait...

As for their ages, nothing's been stated (due to amnesia), but most seem like young adults, mainly high school and possibly college aged.

Mates… there is no way these characters are older then 14. Everyone is sub 18; minors, just look at their size/build. Not fully developed yet.

• How come the main char of Grimgar looks so much different in the Anime than on the Manga cover? Looks almost like two different chars. o.O

• @thegrandalliance:

It is only like Episode 3 or so… of course they are going to have to save the world, why else does Anime exist? The setup may take awhile but just you wait...

Incorrect… they do not... "save the world".... in fact anything but... you shouldn't make those assumptions... its why you keep ending up wrong...

BUT... if you do want to know...

!
    In the next episode…. They get better at killing goblins. Finally able to take on 3 at a time... but then they run into two they THINK they can handle... a goblin in platemail... and a larger Hobgoblin.... the party takes them on, Ranta (Dark Knight) almost dies... lasts only a couple minutes against him..... the Hobgoblin overpowers Mozgo (warrior) and Hiro has to hold them off with Yume. Manato (healer) manages to get everyone up and they run... the Goblin throws a dagger at Manato and kills him...
    ! Without a healer and at the loss of their companion, they turn to the only one left available, an Ice Queen named Mary who no one wants or likes... even the party can't stand her. She sucks as a healer and ignores their requests, and is an overall bitch... things don't go well. And eventually the Goblins in Damroww start increasing in numbers and regularly patrolling the area, and they are forced to leave without ever clearing the place.
    ! Mary suggests the Mines to the North... where they almost die again... and get overwhelmed... but in the end do end up killing a very strong Kobald over the next week, and get at least some notoriety. And Mozgo gets a new sword... but... that's about it for the "saving the world" idea...
    ! Heck they don't even do it in the next couple novels..... The third novels is a castle siege they do because it pays... a whopping gold piece... and Mozgo ends up dying. But they do manage to kill an Orc leader... though Renji and his party are mostly the ones who do it.

• @Phoenixus:

Incorrect… they do not... "save the world".... in fact anything but... you shouldn't make those assumptions... its why you keep ending up wrong...

Well we are only on Episode 3 Anime-wise: Even the novels can take forever to tell the story… just ask "Spice and Wolf". By the time this story is through (whether that makes it to Anime or is canceled beforehand is in question) they will be faced with a situation; that will in effect "Save the World", or some sort of calamity to a large population (country; civilization or otherwise).

If Obama wouldn"t come after me I would be more then willing to gamble as to such... alas only internet trolling now will have to suffice. What kind of story wouldn"t climax into something bigger? That wouldn"t be historical Japanese-style to say the least.

• @thegrandalliance:

Well we are only on Episode 3 Anime-wise: Even the novels can take forever to tell the story… just ask "Spice and Wolf". By the time this story is through (whether that makes it to Anime or is canceled beforehand is in question) they will be faced with a situation; that will in effect "Save the World", or some sort of calamity to a large population (country; civilization or otherwise).

If Obama wouldn"t come after me I would be more then willing to gamble as to such... alas only internet trolling now will have to suffice. What kind of story wouldn"t climax into something bigger? That wouldn"t be historical Japanese-style to say the least.

How…...when.....and where.....does Barack Obama come to play in this?

• @thegrandalliance:

Well we are only on Episode 3 Anime-wise: Even the novels can take forever to tell the story… just ask "Spice and Wolf". By the time this story is through (whether that makes it to Anime or is canceled beforehand is in question) they will be faced with a situation; that will in effect "Save the World", or some sort of calamity to a large population (country; civilization or otherwise)..

Look, I understand where you're coming from,

….but this one isn't it. This one is a not so flashy kind of Light Novel...

Much like Spice and Wolf that moved slowly as well, if you remember Holo never makes it back to Yoitz by the end of the Novels, She ends up settling down with Lawrence in the Hot Springs town and they start a business there and have children together. But they never do make it back to Yoitz and you never find out what really happened to it or whether its even there anymore. So that one too never ends up where you think.

Just like this one... as of Novel 7 in Grimgar...

! They end up in multiple different worlds before coming back to Grimgar, and even end up running from a dragon, not the classic heroic dragon slaying scenario. It ends where they have to work their way through orc infested lands to get back to Altana. Its not the classic teenage kid saves the world scenario

I suspect what we will find in the end… is that they are already dead, and Grimgar was a kind of purgatory.

That's just a guess though...

(And this is coming from someone who agrees with you that Obama really kinda sucks as a US President)