This is my first post so I apologize beforehand nonetheless…

• …the new FUNIMATION logo is terrible. So much so I decided to engage these forums for the first time ever. My biggest problem is the "Smily-face" on the O of "Funimation" that is reallllllly temping for me to punch my computer screen. If the "smily" was somehow at least trying to have Japanese/Anime features... MAYBE I could handle it nonetheless a simple plain Emote is anger-inducing.

Furthermore the basic purple/white color hardly reminds me of Japan (which national colors white/red) or anything remotely related to Anime. Nor does it convey any (positive) emotional feelings that Funimation products generally induce... purple is quite a sad and depressing color actually. Finally the text "FUNIMATION" itself looks like some graphic designer cropped the image a bit too close.

Historically every time Funimation has come out with a new logo is has gotten more and more bad... but this one takes the cake indeed. Alas, to whomever in marketing department thought "This was a good idea"...

EDIT: BTW Interesting how the voting on this poll is going one sided to my favor nonetheless not good for the FuniGods it is so…

MORE EDIT: BTW the reason this "logo business matters" is because of how people will view Funimation, especially casual users or otherwise "non-Otaku". If a logo is visually offputting, it is more likely they will view some sort of trivial opinion of the company. This translates into a very real potential revenue losses if deals and sales thereof are left on the table.

A very good example of this was at CES (Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January) where they unveiled this logo. To people who watch lots of Funimation anime such as myself it is an annoyance at best. To someone who never watch "real" Anime or otherwise and they see this logo (think business people/Wall Street type investors) they may get the wrong idea about Funimation. This new logo is "childish" to put is mildly and they may hastily conclude that Funimation is for kids/minors (and the demographical business model thereof) and not the reality that older people (18-34) are the core customers.

Indeed: A logo does matter, as language in the end is all psychological (it is all in your head) and not based upon spatial reality. A logo therefore; or otherwise branding in general, matters (think Trump) and thusly so this could prove for better or worse for Funimation.

• I kinda like the new logo. I thought it was cute….But That is just my opinion.

• It's hideous. The old one was way better, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, Funi won't change it back. They' don't care about our opinions. Hell, the only reason they even gave a slight bit more info on DxD Born's dub change was because they were getting spammed like there was no tomorrow.

• I keep telling FUNimation they should use this version instead:

~_^

• I'm intrigued with how they're going to animate their new logo.

• As I said in the blog post about this new change, I think the new logo is a bit weird, particularly the "O" with only the mouth.

@tman0041:

I'm intrigued with how they're going to animate their new logo.

Now that you mention that, I'm starting to get a little curious myself.

• I too dislike it. I liked the simple yet bold and fun look of the previous one. The colors don't bother me here as much as the font and smiley face "O".

• I don't care for it. The colors clash horribly and the face thing is creepy. You have no eyes creepy face thing, what are you so happy about? You can't even watch anime. Are you happy because you were allowed to pick the new color scheme? A creepy no-eyed face thing picking the new colors would explain a bit though.

• I don't care either way as long as the logo is immediately recognizable. The eyeless monstrosity having a giggle at me still lets me know that it is Funimation who is devouring my soul

That said, the scheme is pretty similar to The Anime Network, so that's probably not a good thing

• @priestesstyrande:

I kinda like the new logo. I thought it was cute….But That is just my opinion.

Yes… probably the intent of the logo; no doubt designed by a girl. However, as with Bishojo Anime of course, it doesn't keep me from wanting to punch that vile Smilyface...

At least if it was girly smilyface or some sort, and colors excessively so (pink), maybe I get some sort of unhealthy shonen crush on underage girls. However such effect not effected nonetheless.

BTW nice username/logo Warcraft FTW.

@ForlornBeliever:

It's hideous. The old one was way better, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, Funi won't change it back. They' don't care about our opinions.

Well it is more about cost… think about how much $1000s of USD they committed to the project. Not to mention all the color coding that will exist on their apps/website design. A decision to "change course" may prove more costly then the cost of potential loss business due to keeping the logo. However if their goal is to promote Funimation brand, especially to a wider audience; they will fail there, and the costs of lost profits very numerous nonetheless...

@mattc138728172863:

You have no eyes creepy face thing, what are you so happy about? You can't even watch anime.

Must admit, this is most epic observation here. LoL x1000 no doubt about it.

@SpacemanHardy:

I keep telling FUNimation they should use this version instead:

For the record… the one thing even more annoying then a Smilyface is something/anything even remotely related to "The Simpsons", and is BTW a "Crime Against Humanity". The general idea/concept is noted however the picture you suggested must be pure Anime style... this IS Anime company after all not some stupid American animated trash :)

EDIT: Please do not double/triple/quadruple post. Use the Edit Post button instead. -SH

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Can't say I care one way or the other about the half-faced "O", but personally I kind of like the new font and the colors.

• @Riles:

I don't care either way as long as the logo is immediately recognizable. The eyeless monstrosity having a giggle at me still lets me know that it is Funimation who is devouring my soul

That said, the scheme is pretty similar to The Anime Network, so that's probably not a good thing

Must say… that Lucy image you have would explain much of this post alas...

The color (purple) that is likewise to AnimeNewsNetwork; a very good observation indeed. Perhaps some sort of a business deal is in the works?... Only Time Shall Tell...

• @thegrandalliance:

Yes… probably the intent of the logo; no doubt designed by a girl.

I can already tell that you are a wonderful person to have a conversation with

@thegrandalliance:

The color (purple) that is likewise to AnimeNewsNetwork; a very good observation indeed. Perhaps some sort of a business deal is in the works?… Only Time Shall Tell...

No

• @Riles:

I can already tell that you are a wonderful person to have a conversation with

The feeling is mutual, Friend.

• Because I like Fairy Tail? I'll gladly take that over hating on an inconsequential logo and blaming it specifically on a woman's doing

• @thegrandalliance:

BTW nice username/logo Warcraft FTW.

Oh. Te he thanks! Tyrande kicks the major booty!

Thats all I really have to say. I wonder who did design it. Was it like a committee? I saw someone on Facebook talking about how she worked on the video :hmm:

• @thegrandalliance:

EDIT: Please do not double/triple/quadruple post. Use the Edit Post button instead. -SH

Last edited by SpacemanHardy; 01-10-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Aaaah yes… I have noticed Mr. Spaceman that your moderation of these forums is "legendary". I know you have an express interest to keep forums clean and such efforts are commendable; nonetheless at times especially on a forum that is not quite as active as this one, there can be such thing as "too clean".

Focusing on this issue for a moment I, as a "Master Troll" myself on various game sites has found to be so, can explain why multiple smaller posts are better then a massive edited one. Yes; there is a space advantage for compressing them all into one, and yes some people like that better nonetheless, that is about it...

1. Multi Posts easier effortwise for the poster
    2. They are visually easier to read by people who are being responded to (they quickly can see their name being referenced and only see what they want)
    3. When forum viewed in "Threaded" mode, or otherwise as part of a reply tree, only the initial post will be seen. The "omnibus" post that has everyone won't appear in other conversation threads
    4. If someone wants to reply with quotes to the big post to only one submessage, trying to get that to work properly (especially in regard to HTML/BB code such as proper use of the /quote command) when you have lots of subsections require higher skill level of a forum user (a novice may not know how to do that)
    5. Most important on active forums: If you always reedit a post people may not notice the edit (they read the first edit version without following the subsequent edits) in response to "new posts on thread" alerts or otherwise
    6. On forums that give direct notification to every post in a thread; editing the posts will not alert people you reply to via edit

So Mr. Spaceman, as you can see: Although I understand the need for clean forums... the reason I did that intentionally was as described above. I can go on some othertime about other things I noticed you do that could; although in the well intentioned interest of clean forums, dissuade users from participating, nonetheless I will leave matter for now.

In the future, in respect of your wishes, I will follow my posting strategies a bit more closely in order to avoid potential hostilities nonetheless hopefully no hard feelings mate simply because I nerfed ur fav American show into Oblivion but alas... :)

"This is my first post (on Funimation) so I apologize beforehand..." -Key Point

• @Riles:

Because I like Fairy Tail? I'll gladly take that over hating on an inconsequential logo and blaming it specifically on a woman's doing

Ahh no nothing wrong with Fairy Tail… watched every dub episode myself. Alas it is fair enough that assuming the design was lead by a female could be considered "sexist" by some (although its SO OBVIOUS :) ) notwithstanding I imgaine I have been watching too much Trump recently so I do apologize if it was too much for you nonetheless...