Why is this series so popular?

• I know fans of this series are many, so I decided to ask the question- Why is this series so damn popular?

Rules for answering- 1) no fangasms- (i.e. OMFG! Eren is awesome!) That is not cool.

2)- full reasons (Explain it in a way that sounds logical)

3)- opinions are accepted as long as you follow the rules 1 and 2.

To be fair, I like the tech and world setting (Rustic, almost renaissance look, and petroleum-powered wire grappling gear a-la spiderman-style travel gear). The characters, however, not so much.

• It was one of my four gateway anime (Fate/Zero Hellsing Ultimate and High School DxD are the other 3)
    the suspense is great
    action is nice
    people die
    no crappy love story that doesn't make sense, nor am I supposed to care for
    the central theme is good, works and is relateable (this one requires you to "read" into it though)
    characters don't fall into common tropes
    characters are also unique and don't blend with one another

By the way, fangasms don't explain popularity, I don't know how you think it would. Your question reads like you are asking why its popular but your example reads more like you are asking why we like it. Its anime Walking Dead plain and simple.

• @darthrutsula:

It was one of my four gateway anime (Fate/Zero Hellsing Ultimate and High School DxD are the other 3)
    the suspense is great
    action is nice
    people die
    no crappy love story that doesn't make sense, nor am I supposed to care for
    the central theme is good, works and is relateable (this one requires you to "read" into it though)
    characters don't fall into common tropes
    characters are also unique and don't blend with one another

Hmmm…..That answers my question. Story might end up a crossover with the Monster Hunter Franchise (Imagine Titan-killing with a mechanical partner that looks like a creature from the 'Monster Hunter' games).

• Because people like different things?

I can't speak for anybody but myself for why I like this series, though I do believe that this is a pretty big gateway anime for people like SAO, FMA, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc and we often remember and care about those series a lot even if we later reflect and acknowledge that maybe some of them weren't as "good" as we once thought they were.

1 - To get this out of the way, I actually don't like Eren. He's barely reached tolerable status for me in the past year or so in the manga. In the anime he grates on my nerves in a way that he doesn't in the manga, mostly because I find his voice actors incredibly annoying (Yuki Kaji slightly less so than Bryce for this one, but still, shut up Eren).

2 - The setting. I'm a sucker for these types of settings, especially with cool tech like the 3D Maneuver Gear. The fact that the world is so constricted (by both internal and external factors) adds to this.

3 - The Titans. Giant naked zombies, basically, but I love how creepy some of them are. There's plenty of mystery as to what they are and what they want.

4 - The atmosphere. This series has a lot good tension undercutting it. Even though there are the select "safe" characters due to plot importance it's relatively easy to forget that when they're in the thick of battle. I really like the blend of desperation and hope, how every little victory is something to be celebrated only for something worse to come along next. It isn't the death and destruction that makes this series emotional for me, though that's tied to it, it's the undying hope and will to survive.

5 - The characters. There aren't very many of them that I like, but I really like the ones that I do. The motives and goals are varied, and some of the "good" guys don't have pure motives and are just as much using people for their own desires as they are leading them to victory and freedom. I like that the series (in the manga so far, season 2 should hit this point) doesn't shy away from the fact that sometimes you have to kill your (human) enemies, or they'll kill you and/or your friends. It isn't glorified, it's just presented as the reality of the situation. I also like the conspiracy surrounding the government, the royal family, and what led to the world being in the state that it is.

I'm sorry, I'm really tired from work this week since it's year end. That's all I got.

• @Firefly:

Because people like different things?

I can't speak for anybody but myself for why I like this series, though I do believe that this is a pretty big gateway anime for people like SAO, FMA, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc and we often remember and care about those series a lot even if we later reflect and acknowledge that maybe some of them weren't as "good" as we once thought they were.

1 - To get this out of the way, I actually don't like Eren. He's barely reached tolerable status for me in the past year or so in the manga. In the anime he grates on my nerves in a way that he doesn't in the manga, mostly because I find his voice actors incredibly annoying (Yuki Kaji slightly less so than Bryce for this one, but still, shut up Eren).

2 - The setting. I'm a sucker for these types of settings, especially with cool tech like the 3D Maneuver Gear. The fact that the world is so constricted (by both internal and external factors) adds to this.

3 - The Titans. Giant naked zombies, basically, but I love how creepy some of them are. There's plenty of mystery as to what they are and what they want.

4 - The atmosphere. This series has a lot good tension undercutting it. Even though there are the select "safe" characters due to plot importance it's relatively easy to forget that when they're in the thick of battle. I really like the blend of desperation and hope, how every little victory is something to be celebrated only for something worse to come along next. It isn't the death and destruction that makes this series emotional for me, though that's tied to it, it's the undying hope and will to survive.

5 - The characters. There aren't very many of them that I like, but I really like the ones that I do. The motives and goals are varied, and some of the "good" guys don't have pure motives and are just as much using people for their own desires as they are leading them to victory and freedom. I like that the series (in the manga so far, season 2 should hit this point) doesn't shy away from the fact that sometimes you have to kill your (human) enemies, or they'll kill you and/or your friends. It isn't glorified, it's just presented as the reality of the situation. I also like the conspiracy surrounding the government, the royal family, and what led to the world being in the state that it is.

I'm sorry, I'm really tired from work this week since it's year end. That's all I got.

Will be making an 'Attack on Titan'/Monster Hunter story in the near future. Story, working title Operation B.E.A.S.T (Bio-mechanical Entity Anti-Titan Special Taskforce), will take place in the world, approximately 30 years into the future, will focus on a new team, each with their own cybernetic partner monster, mostly Wyverns and Elder Dragons from the game series.

Story has been started. Follows a new group of mains as they try to solve the mystery of a virus that affects monsters and Titans.

Addendum- posted a thread for the fanboys to 'help with the story. For info on the the subject of the Frenzy Virus, use this:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Frenzy_Virus

• I know I am a little late to the party, but there are few anime which grip you in suspense quite like Attack on Titan. The story is very well done, and the setting is rather awesome. It did feel similarly with Wolf's Reign to me, how it made me need to see the next episode.

I just finished episode 25, and am truly hoping that season 2 does not disappoint, I really, REALLY need closure with this.