Stretch video from square (4:3) to widescreen (16:9)

• my suggestion is to add a button to stretch Square streams to widescreen. (similar to Netflix)

one newer example is ninja Slayer. It is 4:3 and has black bars on each side.

I don't know if this is possible but I've been wanting to make the suggestion since ninja Slayer.

there's quite a few older series that have these black bars on the sides that I would like to watch but this is holding me back from watching them.

• Ninja Slayer is done that way on purpose, though. Adding in a stretch option would defeat the entire point.

Just watch the last episode and you'll understand why it's not a very good idea for that show in particular.

For other, older shows that were done entirely in 4:3 because there was no other option, then sure, a stretch feature might make sense. But not for Ninja Slayer.

• @nickdo:

my suggestion is to add a button to stretch Square streams to widescreen. (similar to Netflix)

I've never understood why people want to distort the video (or alternately, to crop material off the top and bottom) just to fill the screen.

• Thank you for the suggestion. I'll pass it along.

Personally, I think it makes the characters look fat, but I completely understand the desire to completely fill your TV. It definitely looks nicer. I use the format button on my TV, so you could try that in the meantime.

• @Sophie:

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll pass it along.

Personally, I think it makes the characters look fat, but I completely understand the desire to completely fill your TV. It definitely looks nicer. I use the format button on my TV, so you could try that in the meantime.

awesome suggestion! Why I didn't think of that? it isn't perfect but a massive improvement! 10% cut from the top and bottom for 40% more of my screen being used is worth it.
    thanks for the suggestion.

• You're welcome. In the meantime, we can use this thread for updates on this feature.