Please implement soft subtitles

• Could you please implement soft subtitles as soon as possible?

I saw on previous threads that you were planning to add soft subtitles to your videos, but that was a while ago.

• Yes, we are planning to add soft subtitles. No official ETA quite yet, but it's still happening.

• Ok, great, thanks! Hopefully you'll also fix the darker colors on your videos and your terrible video encodes(sorry). It's not like I have many expectations though, maybe in 2 years you'll finally realize it's 2016 and people have some standards(or 2018). If you want a good example go look at CrunchyRoll, at least they try to listen more to their users and they have good video encodes and soft subtitles.

• @Vegeta1213:

If you want a good example go look at CrunchyRoll, at least they try to listen more to their users and they have good video encodes and soft subtitles.

To be fair, they have soft subtitles only on the web player (hard encodes are used for devices) and not 100% of titles use soft encodes (as some are provided from the publisher with hard subs).
    CR had a bigger incentive to support soft subtitles, since they have to support multiple languages.

• Dark colors are due to hard coded subtitles, so yes, that will be fixed as well. Is it the future already?

• @Sophie:

Dark colors are due to hard coded subtitles, so yes, that will be fixed as well. Is it the future already?

Shouldn't you hurry up? You do realize you're losing customers because of this, right?

• @Vegeta1213:

Shouldn't you hurry up? You do realize you're losing customers because of this, right?

Patience, grasshopper. These things take time. They're working on them as quickly as they can. It's just that they have many other things to work on at the same time as well.

• Soft subtitles will be coming as part of FunimationNow, which will also be the Funimation.com 3.0 version update. UK will get this in February 2016 and the US and Canada will get this in May 2016.

www.funimationnow.com

[UPDATE]

Soft subtitles are still coming with FunimationNow, but will not be available at launch due to timing even in May. We will begin switching over shows after launch, but I do not know the timing. We could possibly look into keeping track of which shows have soft subtitles on the forum at that time.

• So I guess I'll have to suffer through your bad video encoding and hard subtitles through the new anime season in Spring? Way to go…

Edit: Also, how the heck do hard subtitles affect the video encodes, this honestly makes no sense.

• you lasted this long, surely you'll survive a little longer

• Hard subtitles are actually not the issue, I did a ton of looking into this on Twitter recently. When I was watching Comic Party Revolution dubbed earlier, I heard something that would never be in the sub ("A plan worthy of Utawarerumono, coming soon from ADV!"-As ADV released Comic Party Revolution before Utawarerumono, so ADV changed things to help people get the reference), so I later checked the sub (It was "An ingenious plan worthy of Hakuoro!"-he's the MC of Utawarerumono) and immediately noticed it looked different. Dub | Sub

As you can see, the subbed version looks worse and suffers from white crush from the expanded range. So I later went looking to see how long the issue was around, and what wasn't affected. I know with all of the shows you got from ADV after their Sojitz deal failed you used to stream those dubbed-only before EVS became a thing, and those have been streaming since 2008/2009. So the subbed version of Comic Party Revolution was uploaded AFTER EVS became a thing, and I definitely know this through the logos. The logo that came up on the dub was this, the sub, this.

Later when I checked School Rumble, a show I know you've been streaming since 2008/2009 (Logos that popped up for each. 1 2), _both the dub and the sub looked exactly the same, and did not suffer from having an expanded range as it wasn't there. Meanwhile your Broadcast Dubs like Tokyo Ghoul Root A, which DO NOT have subtitles look exactly the same as the subbed version.

I also checked Suzuka, and it seems the subbed version was uploaded after EVS became a thing because it started with the same newer logo that the Comic Party Revolution sub starts with. I even used Hulu, and Hulu streams also suffer from the same issue. FUNimation Sub Stream | FUNimation Dub Stream | Hulu Sub Stream
    As you can see, only the dub, which I know has been streaming since 2008/2009 (It was one of the very first series I watched here since I became an anime fan in late 2008), which also has this logo does not suffer from an expanded range.
    Now lastly, I also compared Freezing, especially since it was one of the shows you used to first promote EVS. "Now watch Freezing uncensored!" I had more comparisons for this one than the others.

FUNimation Dub Stream | FUNimation Sub Stream | DVD (No BD caps as I'm unable to capture those at this time)

As you can see here, the FUNimation streams suffer from the expanded range, and introduce black crush, you can't see any of the background. And this problem is also on Hulu, but only for the dub. Hulu is still streaming the TV version of the show for the sub, as you can see in this comparison. Sub | Dub

Anyway, here's the subbed version on Hulu, and here's the dubbed version on Hulu. The dub was uploaded after EVS became a thing, and also suffers from black crush, the sub, which you first put on there 5 years ago when simulcasting it during the Winter 2011 season does not.

So the problem has been around for 4 years, ever since EVS first launched in very late 2011. Whatever it is you've been doing then is different from what you were doing in 2008-mid 2011, and that is the cause. The subtitles have nothing to do with it, though the move to soft-subtitles for streams would still be very much welcomed.

Oh and another comparison I forgot I did months back. I compared the Hulu Kaleido Star streams (They use the same newer logo (Dub and sub) as Comic Party Revolution, so they were uploaded after EVS happened) to the ADV DVD's when I noticed they looked different, and same problem. Hulu | ADV Thinpak | New Wings: Volume 6_

• @BigOnAnime:

Hard subtitles are actually not the issue, I did a ton of looking into this on Twitter recently. When I was watching Comic Party Revolution dubbed earlier, I heard something that would never be in the sub ("A plan worthy of Utawarerumono, coming soon from ADV!"-As ADV released Comic Party Revolution before Utawarerumono, so ADV changed things to help people get the reference), so I later checked the sub (It was "An ingenious plan worthy of Hakuoro!"-he's the MC of Utawarerumono) and immediately noticed it looked different. Dub | Sub

As you can see, the subbed version looks worse and suffers from white crush from the expanded range. So I later went looking to see how long the issue was around, and what wasn't affected. I know with all of the shows you got from ADV after their Sojitz deal failed you used to stream those dubbed-only before EVS became a thing, and those have been streaming since 2008/2009. So the subbed version of Comic Party Revolution was uploaded AFTER EVS became a thing, and I definitely know this through the logos. The logo that came up on the dub was this, the sub, this.

Later when I checked School Rumble, a show I know you've been streaming since 2008/2009 (Logos that popped up for each. 1 2), _both the dub and the sub looked exactly the same, and did not suffer from having an expanded range as it wasn't there. Meanwhile your Broadcast Dubs like Tokyo Ghoul Root A, which DO NOT have subtitles look exactly the same as the subbed version.

I also checked Suzuka, and it seems the subbed version was uploaded after EVS became a thing because it started with the same newer logo that the Comic Party Revolution sub starts with. I even used Hulu, and Hulu streams also suffer from the same issue. FUNimation Sub Stream | FUNimation Dub Stream | Hulu Sub Stream
    As you can see, only the dub, which I know has been streaming since 2008/2009 (It was one of the very first series I watched here since I became an anime fan in late 2008), which also has this logo does not suffer from an expanded range.
    Now lastly, I also compared Freezing, especially since it was one of the shows you used to first promote EVS. "Now watch Freezing uncensored!" I had more comparisons for this one than the others.

FUNimation Dub Stream | FUNimation Sub Stream | DVD (No BD caps as I'm unable to capture those at this time)

As you can see here, the FUNimation streams suffer from the expanded range, and introduce black crush, you can't see any of the background. And this problem is also on Hulu, but only for the dub. Hulu is still streaming the TV version of the show for the sub, as you can see in this comparison. Sub | Dub

Anyway, here's the subbed version on Hulu, and here's the dubbed version on Hulu. The dub was uploaded after EVS became a thing, and also suffers from black crush, the sub, which you first put on there 5 years ago when simulcasting it during the Winter 2011 season does not.

So the problem has been around for 4 years, ever since EVS first launched in very late 2011. Whatever it is you've been doing then is different from what you were doing in 2008-mid 2011, and that is the cause. The subtitles have nothing to do with it, though the move to soft-subtitles for streams would still be very much welcomed.

Oh and another comparison I forgot I did months back. I compared the Hulu Kaleido Star streams (They use the same newer logo (Dub and sub) as Comic Party Revolution, so they were uploaded after EVS happened) to the ADV DVD's when I noticed they looked different, and same problem. Hulu | ADV Thinpak | New Wings: Volume 6

Nice job, unfortunately, the people from Funimation do not care about their customers and about the terrible streaming experience they have._

• We appreciate all of the research you've done, and this definitely points to an encoding issue with streaming that is not present on the physical releases.

I'll let the appropriate people know and will see if this can be looked into further. What I can tell you is that regardless of the actual cause, the issue will be resolved after we move everything to FunimationNow. You won't see the change right away because the same videos will be used at first, but then they will be fixed when we move to soft subtitles.

Funimation does care about its customers because we wouldn't exist without you. We are always striving to come across as not only a company that loves its customers, but that loves anime and desires to put out a quality product. If you ever see something that seems contrary to this, absolutely let us know!

Thank you very much for providing so much detail as it really helps us to provide a great streaming experience.

[UPDATE]

I found out why the darkening happens on dubbed episodes - they have a supertitle track burned in that includes things like sign translations, credits, and episode title translations.

The issue will be resolved after we move to soft subtitles (and soft supertitles). If you find a darkened dubbed episode without burned in text of any kind, please post it, so that I can investigate this issue further.

Of course, this doesn't mean that there won't be new issues encountered on the new platform, just that the cause of this particular issue will be eliminated. Any new issues will be investigated.

• @Sophie:

Funimation does care about its customers because we wouldn't exist without you. We are always striving to come across as not only a company that loves its customers, but that loves anime and desires to put out a quality product. If you ever see something that seems contrary to this, absolutely let us know!

There's a good number of examples I could provide that are contrary to this, and are reasons why I stopped loving FUNimation years ago, and now actually dread you picking up shows I'll really care about, but I'm not going to go on a rant here.

One big thing that is a growing problem is translation quality. I made this thread a while back because of how badly HaruChika was messed up (the translator was failing at Japanese). I've decided to put off watching the rest of the show until the translation is accurate and not full of errors so bad they change the plot. Errors are unavoidable, you're bound to have some, but when it's tons of really bad ones, it makes me lose faith and makes me feel I'm not actually understanding the show.
    http://www.funimation.com/forum/showthread.php?9734-Please-Improve-Translation-Quality-(Specifically-HaruChika)

People have been pointing more and more to your translation quality these days and how its seriously declined since 2013 or so (and to be fair, it's an issue Aniplex USA and Sentai have also suffered from, AoA is now regarded by some as the worst for translations). It is very important that the translation quality is high, because as seen with HaruChika, when the translator fails, it can drastically alter a scene.

• Well, this thread is really about soft subtitles, so let's try to keep it to that. If you'd like to point out quality issues on the translation, please report it to www.funimation.com/support.

I completely understand where you are coming from though, and am the same way honestly. We are aware of Haru Chika, and really appreciate that everyone brought this to our attention when those episodes aired.

As for soft subs, they are coming in May.

• @Sophie:

Well, this thread is really about soft subtitles, so let's try to keep it to that. If you'd like to point out quality issues on the translation, please report it to www.funimation.com/support.

I completely understand where you are coming from though, and am the same way honestly. We are aware of Haru Chika, and really appreciate that everyone brought this to our attention when those episodes aired.

As for soft subs, they are coming in May.

Looking forward to the subtitle updates!

• @Vegeta1213:

Looking forward to the subtitle updates!

May has become September with their blog post.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/05/23/check-out-whats-next-for-funimationnow/

They are moving the updated website to then.

• September October-ish, really.

• Will this apply to game consoles (PS4/XboxOne), Mobile devices as well, or only desktops?

• Should apply to all devices that can handle soft subtitles. For sure, that will be the website and mobile.