Anybody here play a musical instrument?

• I play bass, been doing it for some time now; went to college and majored in performance and composition.

Technically, I�m not in a band these days, I play mostly for myself, but every few months, I may play a gig. I was in a band a few years back and we did do some touring and recording, but it got pretty tiring very fast.

I�ve played a variety of songs; lots of jazz and classical when I was going to school for music and while I still play some of this material these days, I write most of my own material. The songs I write are either for fun, or what I would call �drill� songs to challenge and build on my skill level and proficiency of the instrument. I do a lot of slapping, double thumbing, two hand tapping, flamenco strumming and of course basic finger style playing.

As egotistical as it sounds, I actually inspire and motivate myself to play, however, other players that inspire and influence me include; for bassists; Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan, Mark King, Stanley Clarke, Cliff Burton, Flea and a few others I can�t recall at this time. Some guitarists that inspire and influence me are; Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, and Jimi Hendrix. Some of the classical composers I love to listen to are; Beethoven, Mozart, Paganini, Bach, and Vivaldi. I also like some of the movie composers like Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman and John Williams.

As for bands, so many, but, let�s see here; Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Slipknot, Fear Factory, Modest Mouse, Korn, Primus, Radiohead and System of a Down are some of my favorites.

Here are some pictures of the most recent addition to my collection:

It�s a Warwick Corvette double buck ($$), bubinga body, maple neck; handmade in Germany.

This is most of my primary gear; I have more detailed pictures, which I may share in my blog section on a later date, but for now, this is the bulk of it, or at least, my most used materials. There is two Mesa Boogie amps and some Peavey Cirrus Basses; everything including the amps are handmade in USA; great sound, comfortable to play; just all round great instruments and equipment.

• How fitting my first 'return' post would be on this subject matter. xD

I play the bassoon, and have been playing for just about seven years. Actually, I've been bad about it lately because I'm on a break from school right now and haven't really actually played since May… Yeah... gasps everywhere However, next week I'm going to try out a community orchestra with one of my best friends to hopefully hold me over until I get back to school.

I have more experience with band than I do orchestra, though. I was in orchestra last year at the university I was attending, and I loved it. It was a fairly-high level orchestra, and it was like a dream come true for me. We even got to travel up to the North and play in a concert hall, another one of my dreams. =)

When I go back to school, I definitely want to get back into marching band, so I have tenor saxophone for that. I haven't technically started learning it, because a lot of things have held me back. My job, being a night job, doesn't bode well to me getting a lot of practicing in, and last year I was swamped with work and full time university courses (and commuting an hour back and forth every day for school. Don't do that.)

However, I do love the saxophone. I have played around over the years, and it's a lot of fun. So I really want to learn it so I can play it for real, beyond marching band.

But even though I've studied music in college, I have no intention of performing professionally. I'm going for education. Probably teaching history, because there just aren't enough people in the music programs who love it as much as me.

Here is a photo of my favorite instruments:

• My main instrument has always been the piano, although we no longer have one in the house (ours got sick and was put down, and since we moved we don't even have room for one).
    I also have a guitar, learned trumpet for many years (but probably haven't touched one for just as long now) and have dabbled with the fife and recorder.

• Not to go off topic neon, but what are those wall scrolls of? The one of the girls in swimsuits looks familiar, like I know that show…

Anyway, I don't 'currently' play an instrument, but I did have sparse lessons with guitar years ago (couldn't play to save my life now though), and I did spend a year in band during middle school, stuck with a baritone (I wanted to play drums, but that's a long story). Even with as long as it's been though, I spent enough time with that thing that I think I could figure it out again now if I had a chance.

• I've only learned the basics of the piano, but it's been just enough to a couple of my favorite songs I've heard in anime. I don't really have a passion for it, it's just something I got from my parents, particularly my mother. But I would like to play just a little bit more, that is if I hear something I like!

• @Gyt:

Not to go off topic neon, but what are those wall scrolls of? The one of the girls in swimsuits looks familiar, like I know that show…

The swimsuit wall scroll is Ikkitousen, the second is from a skateboard company called Hook-Ups.

• I played Alto, Tenor, and Baritone Saxophone in school, now I play Guitar, and Bass Guitar. I'm passable on the drums in a pinch, but I have no problem losing tempo and going Animal from The Muppets on everyone.

• Does a MIDI count…If so then I "technically" play every instrument :D

• Play the bass guitar. Used to be in a band even recorded what I guess could technically be called an EP before the band just fell apart mostly due to one guy trying to control the scene behind everyones back. Since then I've only played for myself and sadly of late I haven't had much time to pick it up though i still do play it at least every couple months.

• I play Electric bass, Guitar and some wind instruments like the Flute and such. I also play on the Keyboard in my house aswell, and err sing? i think that is about it =) not really much else. Love the bass collection though.

• I have not played in years, but when I did it was bass guitar. My fingers were too fat for six string so I made the leap to bass and never looked back. After wife, work, and family I just have no time or interest to pick it up again. Besides, every time I think about it I remember that I gave away my Ampeg tube amp and tear up when I think of what that thing would be worth today. 100 watts of 6L6 tubes and two 15 inch Electrovoice drivers in a stack cabinet! Arrrrgh! Weep! Sniff!

• @dmguaragno:

I have not played in years, but when I did it was bass guitar. My fingers were too fat for six string so I made the leap to bass and never looked back. After wife, work, and family I just have no time or interest to pick it up again. Besides, every time I think about it I remember that I gave away my Ampeg tube amp and tear up when I think of what that thing would be worth today. 100 watts of 6L6 tubes and two 15 inch Electrovoice drivers in a stack cabinet! Arrrrgh! Weep! Sniff!

What year was that Ampeg? I know vintage gear is worth a fortune, especially tube equipment, one of my friends has an old Fender tube amp and he gets bugged so often for people offering him ridiculous amounts of money for it when he goes on stage now he has a sign that says; “No, this amp is NOT for sale, so don’t ask.”

You had a cabinet with 2 x 15” speakers; personally, I always liked the sound of the 8 x 10” or 4 x 10”cabs.

Right now, my main amps, the Mesas in the picture are tube and solid state and use 12” speakers; they’re a lot faster and responsive than I expected them to be, but they have a mighty thump to them as well. I think it’s fair to say I’m more than pleased with my Mesa Boogie M-Pulse; which they stopped making. First they discontinued the combo I have; 600 watt, 2 x 12” speakers, then they stopped making the heads. Which sucks because I like them way more than the Carbine series, which are still good, but, when they give you a controllable compressor, tube preamp and a parametric EQ; it’s all I need.

• Yeah! It was a 1969 SVT. I wish that I had kept it because it had vintage Mullard tubes in it. The tubes alone would be worth $800 on the used market! To top it off, my son is playing guitar now and I would love to get him a vintage tube stack. I do like the new Peavey 6534+ head, it can deliver everything from clean tones to all out crunchy tube distortion and with the EL34 tubes he can get that 60's Marshall tube sound that Jimmi Hendrix made so popular.

• No real instruments, but I can sing exceptionally well and a good set of vocal cords is sometimes considered an instrument. I'm a 1st tenor which is probably the rarest male voice range.

• @Kruszer:

No real instruments, but I can sing exceptionally well and a good set of vocal cords is sometimes considered an instrument. I'm a 1st tenor which is probably the rarest male voice range.

I always thought soprano was the rarest for male singers; I remember in one of my music history courses we were told about boys who sang in choirs would be castrated at an early age to inhibit testosterone to retain a higher vocal range even after they mature. I know a lot of male voices are usually in the alto range, some are tenor, then bass.

About your regards with the voice being a musical instrument you have the right idea; if more vocalists took that sort of attitude, I'd work with them. A lot of times they try to force lyrics into a song without composing a melody first as opposed to basing the lyrics on what ever imagery the melody and groove create.

So yeah, being a vocalist is the equivalent to playing an instrument, besides, every instrumentalist should be able to sing simple melodies; we had to in college. I remember our instructor would randomly select people and get them to sight sing a melody in front of the class; that was nerve racking to say the least.

• Yeah, I was in choirs all throughout middle school and highschool. I didn't really like too much of the music they sang though. I'd much rather sing a rock or metal song with more energy.

• @Kruszer:

Yeah, I was in choirs all throughout middle school and highschool. I didn't really like too much of the music they sang though. I'd much rather sing a rock or metal song with more energy.

While I understand what you prefer to sing, understand that choral music is a great theory study of how voice leading and harmonies work.

So while there may be a style of music you may dislike, or may not be interested in performing; there's always something of value to learn, or obtain from it.

Now that I think about it, I could say the same thing about anime as well.

• I too am a performance major, though I'm minoring in audio production not composition. Guitar is my primary instrument but at school they teach us piano and drums to help with theory and timing. I'm currently in a band and we play at least 3 times a week since we have house gigs at 3 different venues which is nice for taking in some money. We play around at other places as well and in the summer we hit festi circuit up here in MN. My main guitar is a 95 american strat. though I have quite a few guitars, loads of pedals, and a couple of tube amps I'll post a pick of my current rig in a bit.

• @Maxwell2112:

I too am a performance major, though I'm minoring in audio production not composition. Guitar is my primary instrument but at school they teach us piano and drums to help with theory and timing. I'm currently in a band and we play at least 3 times a week since we have house gigs at 3 different venues which is nice for taking in some money. We play around at other places as well and in the summer we hit festi circuit up here in MN. My main guitar is a 95 american strat. though I have quite a few guitars, loads of pedals, and a couple of tube amps I'll post a pick of my current rig in a bit.

That sounds awesome and I can tell you audio production will strengthen those ears; during my course in college we had to do piano proficiency exams which I did well with; and while I do play piano sometimes, I don’t think I’m good enough at it to mention it as a “played” instrument. I’m no where near as solid with it as I am with bass.

I agree that a person can get some decent coin playing in a band if they’re in a good gig; house gigs are awesome by the way.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your gear; those tube amps are amazing.

• I used to be able to play trumpet, I can do keyboard moderately well but I'm a total amateur at it.

I don't currently play an instrument, but I do compose music in MuseScore from time to time, which is similar.

• Finally got sometime to take a few pictures of my live rig and few of my extra amps, and my main guitars. Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics on the first two.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/2804/w539.jpg
    Fender Deville 4 x 10, my main tube amp 60 watts and way to loud for it's own good but I still love it.
    http://imageshack.com/a/img12/7766/slx8.jpg
    My other amps, the Marshall and the Fender are solid state. The Blackstar is a newer tube amp got that can switch between a Fender sound and a Marshall sound which is a neat little feature.
    http://imageshack.com/a/img843/7199/ynhz.jpg
    This is the pedal board I use live, I have quite a few more but for live usage it's nice to have everything I need on one small convenient board that's easy to transport
    http://imageshack.com/a/img32/7664/5tm1.jpg
    And here are my most used guitars, G&L, Burny, two Fenders, and an Ibanez acoustic.