Chobits

• I was poking around the site; there’s no Chobits section in the “C” area around here, that’s strange; it shows up in the show area of the site along with the “classics” subdivision; which is why I find it weird that there’s no talkback/forum heading for it.

So, here my solution for the time; let’s start one up, I’m confident there are some Chobits fans kicking around here. I guess I can start off by saying that I very much enjoyed this series, I got into it about a year after getting into anime, I was all about Inuyasha, then I saw a few other shows, but it was Chobits that began showing me what the medium of anime was able to accomplish in terms of story and character development. Of course as time wore on I got into other shows like GunGrave, Samurai Champloo and Fullmetal Alchemist, but Chobits still remains pretty high in my favorites list.

I’m not sure what it is about this show that makes me enjoy watching it, I’ve seen it about three times since I first purchased the DVD collection so many years ago. With this anime being known as a “magical girlfriend” series with moe elements and Chii, while is cute as a button; it’s not what attracted me to this series, or what retained my attention.

I remember reading about this show in an anime magazine and I was intrigued by the premise, I mean, prior to that, I had always seen posters of Chii at anime shops and thought; “The hell is that? Man does that ever look stupid.” Of course after reading what it was about, I was interested.

So when I got the set and started watching it, my perspective about it was different from what other people got from it; everyone says a “Moe Magical Girlfriend Male Fantasy.” What I got from it reminded me more of movies like “A.I.” and “The Bicentennial Man” and maybe it would’ve been cooler in the anime if there were “anti-persecom” groups that saw these machines as an abomination against god or humanity.

Either way, what I got was a science fiction romance series loaded with intrigue and foreshadowing; it left me with what I call an “emotional hangover” similar to what I had after seeing A.I. and The Bicentennial Man; I just found something to be bittersweet about the whole thing.

While this was a happy ending; how long can that joy truly last for Chii? She’s virtually immortal while Hideki will eventually grow old and pass on leaving her alone. There’s one other anime I had a similar feeling about towards the female protagonist; Holo from Spice & Wolf, and while the series did touch on the implications Lawrence’s death, I still saw it as a person who’s immortal that will eventually have to deal with the death of a loved one; essentially, Lawrence is nothing more than a footnote in her life, and the same can be said about Hideki in relation to Chii. In Chii’s case however, if she wants to do away with the pain she can easily erase any and all memories of him; like he never existed.

This is why I came away from both these shows, but, in the spirit of staying on topic, Chobits in particular with a bittersweet feeling, yes, it was a “happy” ending; but how long will it last?

I’m sure other fans may not share my bleak sentiments about Chobits; understand, this is only what I got out of it and how it made me feel as an individual.

• Goes to "The World of CLAMP" section.

• @TIL:

Goes to "The World of CLAMP" section.

Just went and looked, it appears that section is there after all; nothing to do now but wait for one of the MODs to come and move it over.

• Chobits is another one of those shows I appreciate more than I actually like. I give CLAMP props for constantly pushing the boundaries of how we define romantic love, and actually making a thoughtful magical girlfriend show. But it is still magical girlfriend show. Complete with the "lobotomoe" character archetype that can't even dress herself. Oh it's so cute, she's like a pet… that wants to jump on your penis... Ugh.

But dumb genre trappings aside, it's a pretty decent series. I'm a sucker for stories about transhumanism and man's relationship with technology.

• @Renzokuken:

Chobits is another one of those shows I appreciate more than I actually like. I give CLAMP props for constantly pushing the boundaries of how we define romantic love, and actually making a thoughtful magical girlfriend show. But it is still magical girlfriend show.

True, but it is still well done as magical girlfriend show and went much further than that with the implications that were explored. It did a great job of taking that idea and simply expanding on it.

@Renzokuken:

Complete with the "lobotomoe" character archetype that can't even dress herself. Oh it's so cute, she's like a pet… that wants to jump on your penis... Ugh.

I can’t say I agree with you there; she is a robot after all, not too sure if she’s a robot that want’s to jump on anyone’s penis because as far as I know that would deactivate her. I was fortunate when I watched it that I wasn’t familiar with the entire anime lingo, perhaps she did start off as a “Robotomoe” character, but, she did evolve and develop far beyond that; and that is what makes this show and Chii’s character work so well. It’s the same idea with Terminator 2; Arnold’s Terminator starts off as nothing more than a killing machine but eventually learns the value of human life.

When we think about it, Haley Joe Osment was pretty infantile at the start of A.I. or Robin Williams at the start of Bicentennial Man, bottom line being they couldn’t think for themselves, that includes Arnold’s Terminator as well. Just like Chii, as they she and these other characters became more independent and developed their personalities, well, we know how it goes; I never did view Chii as a pet and I don’t think Hideki did either.

You have to admit, she’s actually pretty needy when you think about it and at times scary; there was that one scene where she wrapped that creep guy in wires and man did she look scary. Maybe it’s because she has that easy going look on her face all the time and that was the one scene where she genuinely looked pissed.

@Renzokuken:

But dumb genre trappings aside, it's a pretty decent series. I'm a sucker for stories about transhumanism and man's relationship with technology.

That’s it right there; I agree with you 100%, about humankind’s relationship with technology, but I also like the idea of robots developing emotions and being able to learn what it is to be human; that’s what got me into this series and intrigued me about it in the first place.

Like I said, I didn’t know about all these anime categories and lingo when I first got into this show so my outlook on it is, well, far more bleak than anybody else’s. People see this cute character, I see a robot that is governed by lines of code; is it truly capable of thinking for itself? Is that love it feels real or is it just executing the programming it was inputted with? As I mentioned earlier; what happens when Hideki grows old and passes on?

This is why I don’t gripe this anime for its moe attributes; she’s a cyborg, most of the same types of characters in many of my favorite movies really don’t behave any different not to mention many of the themes and ideas are very similar. That’s why when I watch this show; I see an anime version of A.I.

• I liked Chobits. A nice little humble story. Nothing too drastic happening. An innocent love story that builds between Chi and Hideki that even though Chi is a persacon, showing that once again. Love is blind. Maybe not ove of my top favorite shows. But deinelty one I would recomend to anyone who wants a slower paced show over watchin all the heavy action and fanservice shows. And the older anime style give it a nice feel as well.

• It's one of four shows that has put tears in my eyes, so I can appreciate it for that, but aside from the last two episodes and the episode where Chi points at things and calls them Hideki (which I could probably watch forever, until the end of time), there really isn't much that I particularly cared for. That's a lot of episodes to not really care about

• I admire Chobits for taking one of the lowest anime genres and trying to make it meaningful (even if it doesn't quite succeed). That isn't enough to make me "like" it, but ultimately, in spite of the low-brow magical girlfriend humor (which isn't as bad as it could have been and is even sporadically amusing) and slightly uncomfortable implications, my love of Hideki and Chi rose above and made me like the show.

• When I first started watching this, Hideki pissed me off with his over the top reactions to everything provocative. I stuck with it, and did come to like the story. In the end, I would not watch it again, but didn't hate it either. Hideki could have been a little more …....Mature.... I think that is the word I'm looking for. If he was, I'd have enjoyed this a lot more!

• @Looneygamemaster:

I admire Chobits for taking one of the lowest anime genres and trying to make it meaningful (even if it doesn't quite succeed).

I don’t want to piss on your bonfire, and I’m not going to try and change your opinion on Chobits as to whether or not you like or dislike it, but, like most arts/entertainment fans, I resent blanket generalizations as most fans probably do.

I wouldn’t assign words like “lowest” to an anime genre simply because it may be more comically driven, or has a silly name like “magical girlfriend” or because, heaven forbid it may contain some ecchi elements in it. This sort of assessment is as ignorant and silly as even implying that “psychological anime are inherently pretentious and self-indulgent.” Not only is it such a bullshit claim; but when words like “pretentious” and “self-indulgent” get tossed around so carelessly, it pretty much perverts the connotative and definitive meaning of the words.

As I’ve learned from my viewing experiences, there really is no genre that is simply “lower” or “higher” than any other; all genres and various elements have many different series that I’ve found to be good quality entertainment while at the same time, others are, how would I say, unsubstantial.

As far as Chobits is concerned, while you may not have liked it, I think it more than succeeded in what it was trying to do aside from just being a really well told story. While it doesn’t have the metaphorical or symbolic characteristics that say an anime like Puella Magi Madoka Magica have, it does manage to, as mentioned before, talk about humankind’s relationship with technology, or, what I’m always a sucker for; the soul in the machine. Part of this is my bleak interpretation about this anime and the further implications of the relationship between the main characters.

Oh look! She’s really mad now!

As for the story itself, while it was slow it was very well crafted; the pacing was exceptional, it lures in viewers with a lighter, more comedic “slice of life” style with pockets of foreshadowing thrown in there. Now what I admired about this series was how it was able to gradually go from this lighter tone to one that was darker, more science fiction oriented with the common element or “anchor” being the relationship/romance between Hideki and Chii.

It was similar to why I liked GunGrave so much; it was able to smoothly go from a conventional mafia story to something more science fiction/super hero/monster anime simply because its effective use of foreshadowing, pacing, storytelling and of course the fact that it was saturated with character development helped make this one of my personal favorites which surpasses my admiration for Chobits.

As far as other “magical girlfriend” anime go, there are some other ones that manage to juggle comedy and drama quite well; one being Heaven’s Lost Property, although, in all fairness, it is more comedy driven, however, it does manage to get some pretty dramatic sequences in there.

Another was DearS, which gets a bad rap; I didn’t think it was as good as Chobits, but I liked that the dynamic between Ren and Takeya was different; you normally get a guy who’s overly happy, but in this case you have a male character helping out the “magical girlfriend” out of a sense of obligation, not from a motive of “what can she do for me?” The result is him wanting to be left alone and gradually becoming more affectionate towards her to the extent where he wanted her to have the agency to choose to be with him because she truly wants to be with him; not out of a sense of obligation or because she was told to by some rules.

As far as other things are concerned in the world of CLAMP, I guess all the anime they have are connected; Chii actually appears in two or three other shows, on Kobato as twins with their mother who’s the landlady and their father; interesting.

@dmguaragno:

When I first started watching this, Hideki pissed me off with his over the top reactions to everything provocative. Hideki could have been a little more …....Mature.... I think that is the word I'm looking for. If he was, I'd have enjoyed this a lot more!

Funny you should mention this, I remember showing the first episode to one of my brothers and he said “I really want to beat the shit out of this guy.”

Overall though, it’s Hideki’s gullibility that makes the series work out so well, when I think about it, he’s really not so different from Chii.

• As far as Chobits is concerned, while you may not have liked it

I…did like it. I specifically said that I liked it.

• @Looneygamemaster:

I…did like it. I specifically said that I liked it.

Fair enough.

• I tried to watch this one but I couldn't shake the feeling that it positively radiated some thinly-concealed anti-man rage; if CLAMP wishes to use anime to inveigh against men then I wish that they'd do it through a more profound show and with better concealment as this show was a thinner "allegory" than was the, as far as I know, greatest "lost potential" show of 2013: Gargantia.

"It would be a scary world if breasts were hard" <- takeaway line from Chobits. Just like when Peter Griffen explained Citizen Kane,"I just saved you 3 boring hours"…though they obviously weren't exactly "breastless" :) ;)

• I don't think CLAMP is really anti male nor do i get that from Chobits or their other work. In fact if i remember hearing right they love men, specifically they love men in love with other men as I believe they got their start as a yaoi dojinshi circle if i am not mistaken and it shows in some of their male relationships such as in "X" with Kamui and Fuuma, or "Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles" with Kurogane and Fay; not openly yaoi but both easy and obvious yaoi fodder for the fans.

• @sidereal_presence:

I tried to watch this one but I couldn't shake the feeling that it positively radiated some thinly-concealed anti-man rage; if CLAMP wishes to use anime to inveigh against men then I wish that they'd do it through a more profound show and with better concealment as this show was a thinner "allegory" than was the, as far as I know, greatest "lost potential" show of 2013: Gargantia.

I can’t say I agree with you here especially since I’m one of the first and only people on this forum who would call out something I would consider misandristic and I can tell you with the fullest of confidence; Chobits is not misandristic in the least.

I understand Hideki is a bit of a spaz at times, but he’s a well written character just like all the others on this series. Since this series covers it bases very well, especially when it touches on the whole topic of; “are robots better companions than real people?” With Yumi’s story arch, I would say this series is quite harmless and lacking in the anti-man and anti-woman department.

• I really need to revisit Chobits someday, I haven't watched it in forever. Sadly all I remember is the android girls on switch being her…well you know. XD. But it is an interesting series, nice mix of scifi and magical girl if I recall, kind of dark near the later half. Yeah really needa revisit this one when I can. Wonder if it's on Netflix...hmmm.

• @Soundmonkey44:

I really need to revisit Chobits someday, I haven't watched it in forever. Sadly all I remember is the android girls on switch being her…well you know. XD. But it is an interesting series, nice mix of scifi and magical girl if I recall, kind of dark near the later half. Yeah really needa revisit this one when I can. Wonder if it's on Netflix...hmmm.

It’s a good series, not everyone’s cup of tea, but weird thing, I was watching A.I. the other night, and I could see how similar it is to Chobits. Both robots are created with the sole purpose of not only being able to convey human emotion, but to actually feel it.

• Yeah, I remember the movie A.I. Always really bugged me as a kid. But if memory serves Chobits isn't quite disturbing as it was. But again it's been forever since I've seen either, so I could be mis remembering. I do enjoy me a good sci-Fi series though.

• I found after watching A.I. along with Chobits, Mahoromatic and the movie Bicentennial Man that I was left with a massive emotional hangover. When I first watched both A.I. and Chobits it impacted me the worst emotionally because I saw them shortly after my mother had passed on.

Of course, aside from that, I find these stories about robots finding and wanting to embrace their humanity to always be emotionally draining. Don't get me wrong, I still like watching them and they're all great stories, it's just that they tend to evoke a certain emotional response from me.

I can attest that A.I. had some very frightening imagery though.

• I'd like to point out that while the anime is great the characters personalities were changed drastically such as the manga having a very not pervy protagonist