Who currently owns the Original Sailor Moon English Dub?

• I mainly asking this because weird and can't find really anything on it… Ok so as we all mostly know by now VIZ got the rights for Sailor Moon in 2014. That re-dub the whole series as well as a new rebooted series with a new voices cast saddly for though old 90's fans... But it seen the old DIC Dub it out in no wheresville ? If that make sense? All seen to found on this is the follow:

"Q. What about the 90s English dub?

Unfortunately, Optimum Productions' rights to the series expired back in 2000, and there is no way of regaining those rights. VIZ tried. So the dubbed episodes & music are basically in permanent legal limbo, but they are available on sites like YouTube & SailorMusic.net. Although we take piracy of the 90s series and Sailor Moon Crystal very seriously, the 90s English dub is permanently out of print, so piracy of the 90s English dub is less of an ethical issue.

Some of you have complained about how the new English dub didn't bring back any of the 90s voice actors. Toby Proctor explained that this was an issue with the unions not allowing Canadian voice actors to record in an American studio. American and Canadian voice actors each have their own union, and Proctor implied that they don't like stepping on each other's toes. Although it will be a challenge to get used to a new English voice cast, you will now have the opportunity to see scenes, episodes and an entire season that never made it to North America, and experience the series as it originally was, without censorship or westernization."

Source: https://www.facebook.com/notes/sailor-moon-the-mooniverse/faq-sailor-moon-crystal-the-re-release-of-the-90s-anime/780582762008354

"permanent legal limbo" I just don't get it? If it expired why can NO one pick it I mean it still an English Dub that just out there? I mean someone had to own it because it exist right? It just like when buying property or something…

• My best guess is that nobody truly owns the legal rights to it because there are probably multiple parties staking claim to owning the dub, which makes licensing the audio pretty difficult

But there is an infinite number of possible reasons why Viz couldn't license the old dub, and chances are good that if you couldn't find it by Googling, I doubt you'd be able to find the information on an uninformed forum

• @Riles:

My best guess is that nobody truly owns the legal rights to it because there are probably multiple parties staking claim to owning the dub, which makes licensing the audio pretty difficult

But there is an infinite number of possible reasons why Viz couldn't license the old dub, and chances are good that if you couldn't find it by Googling, I doubt you'd be able to find the information on an uninformed forum

I ask mainly because I found the article odd and I liked investigating things… And well maybe someone on here knew something I did not? Since no one technically own it rights now anyone watching it is ok since that also what this article goes on to said that... But I been watching the Original Sailor Moon lately I on episodes 45 of the 1st Sailor Moon English dub... I think the old Voices are better then the new Voices Actor from seeing the old and new voices side by side...

• You realize that this FAQ came from a Facebook fan page, which means they don't really have any more information than we do. So it doesn't really matter whether they think it's okay to steal the old dub or not

Frankly, they don't even seem to have any information that Viz even attempted to relicense the dub. In fact, it's just as likely that they DID relicense the old dub along with the show for North America since that seems to be the standard when doing license rescues in North America. They might have decided to trash the old dub because they had the uncut materials, which would mean some scenes wouldn't have any dubbed lines (or nonsensical ones in a new context), which would mean Viz would have to redub it anyway, and that would make absolutely no sense to have lines recorded 20-something years apart, so they just redubbed the whole thing

I really wouldn't recommend watching the old dub unless it's for nostalgia purposes - they've edited out a number of scenes compared to the wholly uncut Viz dub

• @Riles:

You realize that this FAQ came from a Facebook fan page, which means they don't really have any more information than we do. So it doesn't really matter whether they think it's okay to steal the old dub or not

Frankly, they don't even seem to have any information that Viz even attempted to relicense the dub. In fact, it's just as likely that they DID relicense the old dub along with the show for North America since that seems to be the standard when doing license rescues in North America. They might have decided to trash the old dub because they had the uncut materials, which would mean some scenes wouldn't have any dubbed lines (or nonsensical ones in a new context), which would mean Viz would have to redub it anyway, and that would make absolutely no sense to have lines recorded 20-something years apart, so they just redubbed the whole thing

I really wouldn't recommend watching the old dub unless it's for nostalgia purposes - they've edited out a number of scenes compared to the wholly uncut Viz dub

But why not make more money then on the old dub? I mean Funimation did with the "Rock The Dragon" DVD and that was for nostalgia… And 90's was my era and did not watch girl show back then so I miss the boat on this anime... I remember bits of it on Toonami when I watch Toonami back in the day but not fully got into the show b/c it was a girl show at the time when it aired I was in the "Kootie" stage for me... So I feel I half to watch anyway... But I think the new cast don't fit the parts and this is coming someone who like alot of though voice actors that where casted for the new Sailor Moon Dub that fit there parts especially Sailor Moon... Terri is clearly better for the are the personality of Sailor Moon where Stephanie very no so good... way Stephanie talks is not is like she shy and nervous like Hinata Hyuga and Eureka which works for though parts but NOT Sailor Moon... Sailor Moon is supposed to be overconfident very lacking in grade and wanted to eat junk food and play video games... To me that fit more of Terri then of Stephanie sorry just does not work basic on the personality...

• @gohan6425:

But why not make more money then on the old dub?

Again, I can't answer that, nor can anybody except employees who work for Viz. There's an infinite number of possible reasons why

Maybe Viz didn't want to release an edited version of Sailor Moon in 2015!
    Maybe Toei didn't want Viz to release an edited version of Sailor Moon in 2015!
    Maybe Viz didn't want to split their consumerbase by releasing the same show in similar formats!
    Maybe the masters presented for a re-release of the original dub were in too poor of a condition to be usable!
    Plus any other sort of possibility decided on a whim by anyone with a financial stake in its production

And it's still entirely possible that Viz didn't even license the original dub in the first place

Maybe Viz couldn't track down the true owner of the original dub!
    Maybe the original dub's masters weren't kept in good conditions and were effectively ruined!
    Maybe Toei refused to authorize the re-release of their show with an old and oudated dub that edited their content!
    Maybe they decided it was simply too expensive to license and Viz decided it would be more profitable to re-brand it as a new dub!
    Plus any other sort of possibility decided on a whim by anyone with a financial stake in its production

At any rate, the answer to any of your who and why licensing questions will probably be answered with a shrug, because licensing is very confusing and you quite literally have to be in the business to understand why the end result is what it is

• @Riles:

Again, I can't answer that, nor can anybody except employees who work for Viz. There's an infinite number of possible reasons why

Maybe Viz didn't want to release an edited version of Sailor Moon in 2015!
    Maybe Toei didn't want Viz to release an edited version of Sailor Moon in 2015!
    Maybe Viz didn't want to split their consumerbase by releasing the same show in similar formats!
    Maybe the masters presented for a re-release of the original dub were in too poor of a condition to be usable!

And it's still entirely possible that Viz didn't even license the original dub in the first place

Maybe Viz couldn't track down the true owner of the original dub!
    Maybe the original dub's masters weren't kept in good conditions and were effectively ruined!
    Maybe Toei refused to authorize the re-release of their show with an old and oudated dub that edited their content!
    Maybe they decided it was simply too expensive to license and Viz decided it would be more profitable to re-brand it as a new dub!

At any rate, the answer to any of your who and why licensing questions will probably be answered with a shrug, because licensing is very confusing and you quite literally have to be in the business to understand why the end result is what it is

Pretty sure the dub was still in good condition… People still upload then YouTube... Also If Viz are smart that would re-release if that can because you can make money off it fans would buy it still just like the "Rock The Dragon DVD that came out a few years ago...

• I've heard rumors that one of the reasons why the dub is MIA is that Takeuchi herself hated it, and one of her conditions for allowing Viz to license the original series was to not include the original dub. But again, that's just hearsay.

• @SpacemanHardy:

I've heard rumors that one of the reasons why the dub is MIA is that Takeuchi herself hated it, and one of her conditions for allowing Viz to license the original series was to not include the original dub. But again, that's just hearsay.

I don't thing that true b\c I heard rumor like too on youtube from people comment… I thing that something was just made up by fans of the seris... She may have hated it but I don't she going not don't ever do anything with old dub... She may have said not to used it in the re make dub which would make sense. But to let it just die I thing is dumb to fans that make wanted it still... Even Funi. Did not let the Ocean Dub die well the 1st 66 Ep. That is with the rock the dragon dvd...

• oh well. just like the tootsie pop, the world may never know

• Nor really care.

• @gohan6425:

Pretty sure the dub was still in good condition… People still upload then YouTube...

Whether or not a rip can be encoded to YouTube has literally nothing to do with whether or not the masters are usable

• @Riles:

Whether or not a rip can be encoded to YouTube has literally nothing to do with whether or not the masters are usable

Well there dvd still on ebay and amzon soo that could still used that if that wanted…

• @gohan6425:

Well there dvd still on ebay and amzon soo that could still used that if that wanted…

That's still not how masters work, unless you think copies of the masters are masters

• @Riles:

That's still not how masters work, unless you think copies of the masters are masters

What the difference? It still would work the same way… What do you think that used for the Rock The Dragon DVD?

• @gohan6425:

What the difference? It still would work the same way… What do you think that used for the Rock The Dragon DVD?

I would guess the masters

I would guess they also used the masters for Cowboy Bebop, if you're gonna use that as an example next

• @Riles:

I would guess the masters

I would guess they also used the masters for Cowboy Bebop, if you're gonna use that as an example next

That don't have the master for Cowboy Bebop b/c that just pick the title from another company that when under, so that would had to used one from the DVD… Same with Rock The Dragon...

• It doesn't seem like you are going to comprehend this so I will stop replying to you

• @Riles:

It doesn't seem like you are going to comprehend this so I will stop replying to you

Uh? Uh? Ok…

• @gohan6425:

That don't have the master for Cowboy Bebop b/c that just pick the title from another company that when under, so that would had to used one from the DVD… Same with Rock The Dragon...

They used the masters for Bebop and their other releases. They get the masters from whoever is involved with the production, whether that be the Japanese companies or the dubbing studio. Sometimes these masters are properly cared for, other times they aren't. Using the masters will provide much better quality than a DVD rip.

• @Firefly:

They used the masters for Bebop and their other releases. They get the masters from whoever is involved with the production, whether that be the Japanese companies or the dubbing studio. Sometimes these masters are properly cared for, other times they aren't. Using the masters will provide much better quality than a DVD rip.

Do we have proof of this?