Why are the dragon slayers so weak?

• Why are the dragon slayers so weak against the dragons during the eclipse arc? They couldn't even damage the dragons, even though they are supposed to be the only wizards capable of defeating them, so what's the deal? Also I'm only caught up to the dub at episode 199 so if the reason is a spoiler then just say it's a spoiler and I'll wait.

• well for starters they maybe called dragon slayers however they have not mastered it yet. Acnologia was the most poweerful dragon slayer ever existed. The reason is he can use dragonification whenever he wants. that kinda is a big help

• They're just not strong enough. They're attacks are effective… just not very much at the moment. Whereas everyone else's attacks were completely useless.
    Or maybe Kisuke is right. Maybe it's not about strength, perhaps they just haven't mastered their magic yet. Or it could be a bit of both. Either way, they're not ready to fight dragons... yet.

• Since strong emotion boosts their power, maybe they have a very strong potential, but unless they are particularly passionate, their power is not normally that impressive?

• Which is why Natsu is so powerful.

• ^ what ep are you at now?
    (Sorry for being so off topic)

• While the type of magic is just called "Dragon Slayer" magic it's magic taught to humans to defend themselves against them not necessarily beat them

• @visoredavenger:

While the type of magic is just called "Dragon Slayer" magic it's magic taught to humans to defend themselves against them not necessarily beat them

If you can't hurt it, then you can't defend yourself lmao. I wish there would have been some epic moment where the killer the dragons, even though it didn't happen I'm happy how it ended. Maybe in the future.

(I haven't watched the tartaros arc, Ep 227+ I believe. So if there is an epic moment like what I mentioned I'll have to wait until December to find out. The reason I'm waiting for December is that that's when the arc will be fully dubbed. (I'm guessing here). I'd watch 12 episodes at a time but I want to binge watch it.)