KILL la KILL Discussion

• From Hirokuki Imaishi and Studio Trigger, the tale of a wandering transfer student, Ryuuko Matoi, armed only with half a giant scissor and a talking sailor uniform, and her search for vengeance at the tyrannical Honnouji Academy.

@ANN:

Ryuuko Matoi carries a large weapon shaped like half of a pair of scissors. She's looking for the woman with the other half, who killed her father. Satsuki Kiryuuin, student council president of Honnouji Academy, is said to know the woman's identity, so Ryuuko transfers there. Those who arrive at the school receive a special "goku uniform," and Satsuki has used that power to rule the school in fear.

Crunchyroll Stream
    Daisuki Web Page

So who else is watching the best new anime this season?

• Easily my favorite show of the season so far, bar none. That first episode was just full throttle energy all the way through and man do I love the style it brings. I've already re-watched the first episode 4 times just to keep myself from having withdrawals :P

• @Rift:

I've already re-watched the first episode 4 times just to keep myself from having withdrawals :P

I guess I'm slacking, since I've only watched the first episode twice myself.

Mako's my favorite character so far. She's just such a bundle of hyperactivity and old school anime school girl cliches, she easily stole every scene she was in.

From the naysayers, I think the biggest complaint I've seen about the show is Senketsu, Ryuuko's talking uniform, being "too fanservice-y," which is a bit of a ridiculous argument in this day and age, especially when the battle mode of the uniform is played more for laughs here than what other shows would try. Actually, it reminds me of the first transformation scene in Panty & Stocking, and how unexpected that shift in art style was. Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous, but I wouldn't expect any less from this group.

• After my second re-watch, I'm catching up to you.

This time through, I noticed that the school looks a bit like a giant sailor uniform, and it's hard to believe I missed that the first couple time through.

• I'm going to be honest. I wasn't blown away by it. I'll check out at least the next episode before deciding if I want to continue with it.

• I liked thsi one so far. The living dress thing was a bit wired being so exposed and all. But otherwise it was really good.

• This show is great. I love the visuals and the general absurdity. But what I like best is how Imaishi is contrasting it with TTGL. If TTGL was a celebration of Mecha through the ages, then KlK is an homage to anime of a very specific time period. Specifically, Go Nagai era 70s grindhouse fare. Ryuko's battle outfit oozes Cutey Honey and is a clear send-up to Mazinger Z:

The episode titles are even taken from old Japanese pop songs. Basically, Kill la Kill is Imaishi doing an anime rendition of a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Edit: Somebody ripped the OP and threw it on youtube. The visuals are nice, but the song is woefully generic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAUZi7DFkA

• Ami Koshimizu is Ryuuko? Freaking yes! This anime looked good from the beginning, but now my enjoyment level just skyrocketed.

• This show is so crazy, I love it!

Kill La Kill has a ton of style, and it's hard not to get swept up in the craziness and excitement. It's not trying to be serious; it's just having fun and rolling with all the ridiculous, over-the-top happenings, and it's working really well.

The living sailor suit thing is a little weird and fanservicey, but I'm willing to put up with it for this show.

• Okay so many people have said to me to watch this series so i've just watched it and my brain is still figuring out what the F*** i just watched . . . . . so much to take in at such a fast pace . . . . man this S*** is ace i'll have to watch it again to rap my mind around it but YEAH!! good stuff.

• @Renzokuken:

This show is great. I love the visuals and the general absurdity. But what I like best is how Imaishi is contrasting it with TTGL. If TTGL was a celebration of Mecha through the ages, then KlK is an homage to anime of a very specific time period. Specifically, Go Nagai era 70s grindhouse fare. Ryuko's battle outfit oozes Cutey Honey and is a clear send-up to Mazinger Z:

I'm surprised I missed that, but it's definitely there. And I think you hit the nail on the head, this show would fit right in if it had aired in the '70s.

The episode titles are even taken from old Japanese pop songs. Basically, Kill la Kill is Imaishi doing an anime rendition of a Quentin Tarantino movie.

I hadn't heard that, but it's a nice bit of trivia, and the titles are still appropriate for the episodes.

I really like Mako's family, they were a blast. I'll definitely have to give this second episode a couple re-watches too, 'cause I know there were a few things I missed.

• I just finished watching the first episode off of Crunchy Roll. It was completly ridiculous & over the top….. I LOVE IT!!! Studio Trigger has done it again! can't wait to watch more!!!

• Well, the second episode was full of energy just like the first. I must say, I loved the homeroom teacher stripping down as he talked, freakin hilarious if ya ask me and I can't wait to see what else he contributes to the series. Mako's family though… little on the weird side lol I don't even want to know what they were eating there, bleh!

• I’ve gotten around to checking out the first episode of this series; so far I’m impressed, it obtained and retained my attention with simply being fun and entertaining.

The animation is style, while not necessarily unique, is still different from most anime; I would be inclined to say that it’s a marriage of the styles from Samurai Champloo and Panty & Stocking with a heavy dose of Quentin Tarantino and Battle Royale. From my experience, when this sort of experimentation in animation occurs the execution is either hit or miss. Sometimes you get a monumental display where everything just naturally falls into place like Puella Magi Madoka Magica and The Tatami Galaxy, and other times you get Bakemonegatari and Panty & Stocking; both anime I really despised for a multitude of reasons.

In the case of Kill La Kill, so far I’m pleased, the animation style complements the story, characters and premise; it doesn’t seem like a novelty, like its being done that way just for the sake of being different; the animation and art style are a component of the show’s identity.

The premise, which is very cliché; the oppressive school council, I’m having déjà vu, let me think; oh yeah, they did this on Tenjho Tenge, actually, the entire premise was the linchpin of the series. Then there’s the whole vengeance story, the badass outcast rebel coming into a school and challenging the authority; in this respect, it’s not so different from what I’ve already seen; and that’s why I love it and that’s why it works. It offers a unique animation style, but retains familiarity in the concepts.

I also like the 1984 style setting, for anyone who has read 1984, the setting is described in so much detail that it’s almost a character in and of itself; here, the setting is almost identical, very gritty, somewhat dismal and it plays to this whole idea that the school is run by a totalitarian council. If that’s not enough there’s always this quote spoken by student council president Satsuki which is a blatant knockoff/play on words like on 1984;”Fear is freedom; subjugation is liberation; contradiction is truth.”

There is also the symbiotes, I mean, school uniforms that give the wearers special powers and our protagonist Ryūko gets her very own, or should I say, her symbiote, I mean uniform, gets her. My theory is that this symbiote, I mean uniform, is somewhat parasitic and not only does it feeds on other uniforms as shown near the end of the first episode, it may feed on the user in some way.

This brings me to my one nitpick for this show; the rape scene; yes, I am going there, Ryūko is pretty much worn by her symbiote, I mean uniform, not she wears it; it wears her. Now, I’m not sure if that’s what the artists wanted to convey in that scene, either way, I found it more disturbing than anything I had seen on Want to be the Strongest in the World; which is pretty scandalous to say the least, but the execution and implications of this scene on Kill La Kill was far more troubling for me. The thing is, from every forum and every review, only one other person brought this to attention; I’m not going to mention their name, but they know who they are. Meanwhile, everyone else in the anime community who has watched this show seem to be looking the other way in regards to this scene as if this anime is immune to any sort of criticism; and in case anyone is wondering, I am making certain implications abut the anime fandom without going into rant mode.

Aside from my one issue, I really enjoyed this first episode, the way I feel now is I hope it gets an English Dub and a Bluray release; I don’t care who does it, as long as it’s done well and in a quick and efficient manner. That is, how it stands now, that may change; it's just a matter of how this show plays out.

• I agree & disagree on the suite thing. Personally I saw it as the show's equivlant to when the Venom Symbiote from Spider-Man takes over/hold of a host, its forceful, painful but I wouldn't call it rape. Then again people accuse the venom symbyote of mentally raping Peter Parker, which I agree with, so I guess it all depends on how you look at it I do agree though, she doesn't seem to have much control over the suite yet, hopefully that will change as the series goes on.

But yeah, other then that conteroversial scene, its a pretty solid show so far, I hope it can keep up the pace.

As for a Domestic release, Aniplex has it, so that means super expensive BD sets. le sigh Oh well still be nice to get my hands on this show down the road.

• @Soundmonkey44:

I agree & disagree on the suite thing. Personally I saw it as the show's equivlant to when the Venom Symbiote from Spider-Man takes over/hold of a host, its forceful, painful but I wouldn't call it rape.

All I’m simply looking at is the execution of the scene, the angles used and most importantly, the dialogue; the symbiote, I mean uniform says it will go on her whether she likes it or not and forces itself on her. So, as I said, I’m looking at the context and implications I get from how the scene was executed. To be honest, it trumped Want to be the Strongest in the World for being disturbing.

As I said before, only one other user brought this up as an issue a long time ago; I can see their point in regards to this particular anime.

To be honest though, if that's how the artist intended to do this scene; it's their project, they can do as they wish. The other thing is, while the scene bothers me somewhat, I can get over that; the issues I have regarding anime like this are more outside of the anime itself, and more towards the fandom; somethig I may write about in my blog area at some point.

Otherwise, it is a pretty amazing show.

• I have to agree with neon about the scene where she met the uniform. It just left me thinking "…really? was that necessary?" and left me disappointed in the scene's presentation. That's pretty much my main complaint about the show at this point. Some of the ongoing fanservice does kind of bug me, but the rest of the show is just great.

• I think the fact that Kill la Kill is so bizarre and experimental has some people giving it a bit of a free pass. It's not like the fanservice in say, Unbreakable Machine Doll, where it's just kind of another black mark on something that's already extremely bland and trod-over. I think people are sort of looking the other way rather than admit Trigger isn't quite saving anime the way they'd hoped. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's great. But it's great in the over-the-top insane way a Tarantino movie is great, not because it's some landmark masterpiece that will change anime forever.

As far as the rape scene goes, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my post in the old Private Message thread. I really don't like the whole "rape makeover" trope as a whole. I think it sort of makes light of a very serious issue, in a very non-satirical or commentative way. "It's like they're getting assaulted, but they're actually just forcibly getting their clothes changed! Isn't that hilarious?" No, it isn't. Please stop.

• @Renzokuken:

I think the fact that Kill la Kill is so bizarre and experimental has some people giving it a bit of a free pass.

That’s exactly what I’m getting at right there; you hit the nail on the head.

@Renzokuken:

I think people are sort of looking the other way rather than admit Trigger isn't quite saving anime the way they'd hoped. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's great. But it's great in the over-the-top insane way a Tarantino movie is great, not because it's some landmark masterpiece that will change anime forever.

Once again, precisely correct; I think it’s a great anime, I have absolutely no issue with the fan service, but people are giving it way more credit than it deserves. A lot of this is a result of the bias surrounding this anime; people heard Studio Trigger so they’ve already decided to consider this anime a masterpiece. I’m willing to bet if Kill La Kill was exactly as it is now, but Studio Arms did it; people would be dragging it through the mud; regardless of the unique animation style and the over the top antics that contribute to this show’s charm.

Granted that Studio Arms has a certain reputation for their infamous anime, however, this situation clearly illustrates how people look at something based on very little information and immediately decide whether it’s great or horrific.

@Renzokuken:

As far as the rape scene goes, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my post in the old Private Message thread .

You’re the one I was referring to, at first I thought you were exaggerating, but now I almost feel what you said is something of an understatement. Thing is, I’m not easily offended by visual media, and this particular scene in question on Kill La Kill is evidence that a scene doesn’t have to be graphic or even show that much of what’s occurring to be offensive; sometimes it’s more about what isn’t being shown.

It’s similar to what I said about Mami’s death scene on Puella Magi Madoka Magica; there was no gore or detail, yet that scene had more validity and weighted on the viewer more so than any part of Elfen Lied. In this case however; it was the intention to illustrate to the viewer this isn’t their daddy’s magical girl anime; and it wasn't offensive either, an emotional reaction yes, but not offensive.

As I mentioned about Want to be the Strongest in the World, which I bring up because I pretty much watched it back to back with Kill La Kill; Want to be the Strongest in the World was far more graphic and scandalous to evoke a certain reaction from the audience, but even when I was exposed to a close up of Sakura’s bottom to the point where I could almost smell what she had for breakfast that day; it still didn’t bother me in the least; yet a five second scene from Kill La Kill has way more of an impact on me.

This is my reaction based solely on raw emotion; understand that as an anime fan, some of my favorites are some of the most ecchi loaded shows ever made and they don’t bother me. Also note that I’m not a feminist, as a matter of fact I’m pretty anti-feminist, so, when I get offended at a part on an anime because of the implications of rape, then the issue is pretty legit. This isn’t a situation where I’m trying to undermine this show because of resentment towards the fan community who blow it up and drag some of my favorites through the mud; I’m not mining for an issue here; I don’t do that with anime, I already said certain aspects of a show, whether it’s some sort of symbolism or theme, or in this case something troubling, just come naturally to me. I saw it and had in instinctual reaction based on emotion. Then again, with my own experiences, I don’t find the issue a laughing matter whether the victim is male or female. Nasically, Kill La Kill crossed the line in that short scene.

@Soundmonkey44:

Then again people accuse the venom symbyote of mentally raping Peter Parker, which I agree with, so I guess it all depends on how you look at it

I forgot to address this; the symbiote that Peter Parker got actually did wear him in the sense that he’d be sleeping, but then it would go on his body and take it out for a spin; there were times where he’d wake up to find himself out and about and confused about how he got there.

• Oh boy, transformation sequences and cheesy Jpop insert songs! This show is now everything I ever wanted it to be!

The whole "clothing is power" and "own your fanservice" themes they've got going are interesting. The latter being another painfully obvious homage to Cutey Honey. But I can't help but feel it loses a lot of weight when both of the characters are super-hot anime chicks with huge tits. It comes across less "Don't be embarrassed to be who you are" and more "You're attractive, so shake dat booty gurl", but baby steps I guess. Unless it's supposed to be satire, in which case it's failing miserably.

Still, the show is like one big frenetic nostalgia trip. I got serious TTGL vibes when her scissor blade somehow tripled in size. I also like how the flashbacks were shot in a lower aspect ratio, like they were old TV shows.

• Ive enjoyed this series pretty well thus far. That fight between Ryuko and Satsuki was just amazingly over the top craziness. That had the aspects of something I would typically think of as a final showdown type fight… so if that is any indication of what we have to look forward to in the future, I think this series has the potential to be quite good. It does a good job of balancing both action and comedy, and even has a bit of mystery (I guess you could say that with respect to the kamui's and Ryuko's father... but at its heart I see this as essentially an action series.) Have they said what the significance of the glowing thread floating to her Kamui when she defeats someone with a Goku suit is, does it increase her power or have something to do with abilities?

On a completely unrelated note, is it just me or did the order of posts in the forum flip in the past few days. I could swear that in the beginning it was just as I am used to in other forums (the past Funi forums, ANN, CR, etc...) where linear order meant that the opening thread would be shown on page 1 first, and the post would progress from there in sequential order. But it seems that linear order now means most recent post first and then it works its way backwards. Did I screw something up in my settings?