Funimation Suggestion List

• Hi! I decided to put together a list of some of my suggestions for the Funimation streaming site and apps.

Streaming –

1. Please remove the watermark when viewing on the website, at least for subscribers. Competing streaming sites do not include it, it"s not visible when using a set top box, and hasn"t deterred piracy.
    2. Use soft subtitles. In particular, this allows for easy switching between subbed and dubbed versions.
      a. Soft subtitles also allow the captions to be placed in letterbox area as applicable. Many tablets are 4:3.
    3. In addition to the existing SD/HD option, look into providing an adaptive mode, that chooses resolution in accordance with bandwidth available. This is how Netflix and CR work, and is very useful on mobile connections. Leave the option to force specific resolutions if people prefer that.
    4. Amazon and Youtube Red have the ability to download shows for offline viewing. This is a wonderful feature for mobile devices in particular please look into making it available here too.
    5. Add chapters for navigation.
    6. Crunchyroll has a 10 seconds forward and a 10 seconds backward” feature that works well, especially on mobile.
    7. Improve the queue to work more like CR and Netflix"s. This includes displaying when future episodes will be available, auto-progressing to the next episode if possible, and keeping track of videos watched across devices. Display the % of an episode completed as part of the thumbnail.
    8. Stop showing dubbed and subtitled versions as separate videos. Instead, show a single video, and have dub versus subtitled tracks as options. Users select defaults as part of their profile.

Devices

1. Maintain My Shows” and position last watched between devices, so if I stop in the middle of a show on iPad, I can continue where I left off on a PS3.

Social

1. Add an option to take screenshots and share them on social media (or save them to your hard drive.)
      a. This could be extended to a built-in way to create animated GIFs.
    2. For select shows, include the ability to see real time comments by other users, in the same manner as Nico Nico.
    3. Include Twitter hashtags in the show information if applicable. Coordinate it so as to use the same Twitter hashtag the Japanese community is using.

Other

1. Investigate the feasibility of a subscription option that streams the disc versions instead of the broadcast versions. Obviously it"d be more expensive, but it would be another way to watch anime with the highest quality without taking up more space.

Thank you very much!

• I agree on improving the queue! Comparing it to Netflix and Crunchyroll, FUNimation is a mess. (In my opinion.)

• Thank you very much for your suggestions. If you could, though, please keep it to one suggestion per thread. Each of the suggestions you've listed have already been covered in other threads. If people jump on to this thread because it happens to be at the top, it could become a bit difficult for me to manage all of the feedback.

Based on these suggestions, though, are you only using the mobile app? A lot of what you've asked for is already on the site and on other devices. :hmm:

@Netbrian:

1. Please remove the watermark when viewing on the website, at least for subscribers. Competing streaming sites do not include it, it"s not visible when using a set top box, and hasn"t deterred piracy.

I have requested that we at least implement a fading watermark for the FUNimation logo. We may not be able to remove licensor logo watermarks at all. The watermark was never intended as a piracy deterrent, but more of a branding mark.

@Netbrian:

1. Use soft subtitles. In particular, this allows for easy switching between subbed and dubbed versions.
      a. Soft subtitles also allow the captions to be placed in letterbox area as applicable. Many tablets are 4:3.

Soft subtitles are coming.

@Netbrian:

3. In addition to the existing SD/HD option, look into providing an adaptive mode, that chooses resolution in accordance with bandwidth available. This is how Netflix and CR work, and is very useful on mobile connections. Leave the option to force specific resolutions if people prefer that.

The site and all devices, except for maybe mobile, already do this. Site and Roku let you choose the resolution and each resolution has adaptive streaming. Xbox and PlayStation are completely adaptive. We are actually adding settings to those devices for users to force specific resolutions.

@Netbrian:

Amazon and Youtube Red have the ability to download shows for offline viewing. This is a wonderful feature for mobile devices in particular please look into making it available here too.

This has already been suggested elsewhere, and I have pitched it. Hopefully, it will be approved.

@Netbrian:

Add chapters for navigation.

This is coming. Believe me. Don't even get me started. This feature, for me, is right up there with multiple select genre filtering.

@Netbrian:

Crunchyroll has a 10 seconds forward and a 10 seconds backward” feature that works well, especially on mobile.

This is coming. It's already kind of available on Roku. Each tick forward and backward is about 10 seconds.

@Netbrian:

Improve the queue to work more like CR and Netflix"s. This includes displaying when future episodes will be available, auto-progressing to the next episode if possible, and keeping track of videos watched across devices. Display the % of an episode completed as part of the thumbnail.

Our Queue is already pretty close to Crunchyroll's, but I agree that it is still missing some features that could make it better.

Displaying when future episodes will be available is being discussed, but it will probably not be accurate to the second because of how episodes are added. We do have a schedule, but an episode can be up to 15 minutes late if there are technical complications. Knowing that, would you still want it? If there are technical complications, what would you expect to happen with the countdown?

Autoplay is already implemented on PlayStation and Xbox. It will also be coming to the rest of the service.

Displaying % of an episode as part of the thumbnail actually already exists in the site Queue. On PlayStation and Xbox, you can see your progress on any video thumbnail. It will be added to Roku later and to the rest of the site a little bit after that.

@Netbrian:

Stop showing dubbed and subtitled versions as separate videos. Instead, show a single video, and have dub versus subtitled tracks as options. Users select defaults as part of their profile.

Are you only on the apps or maybe only on mobile (don't use the mobile apps for now)? We stopped displaying separate videos for dub and sub a long time ago on the site. Regardless, though, we will probably be merging the languages on the apps. We also already have a default setting for dub and sub that is subscriber-only. Even without setting that, though, the site knows which language you prefer based on your video history.

@Netbrian:

Devices
    Maintain My Shows” and position last watched between devices, so if I stop in the middle of a show on iPad, I can continue where I left off on a PS3.

This functionality already exists in everything but mobile (iPad) and Roku. We will be adding this functionality to all devices.

@Netbrian:

1. Add an option to take screenshots and share them on social media (or save them to your hard drive.)
      a. This could be extended to a built-in way to create animated GIFs.

This is coming. I'm actually currently working on requirements for this. Generating the appropriate hashtags based on the Japanese community might be difficult.

@Netbrian:

1. For select shows, include the ability to see real time comments by other users, in the same manner as Nico Nico.

Currently not happening unless we have a looooooooooot of user requests for this. You might be the first person to request this feature despite it being on Nico Nico and Daisuki since those services launched.

@Netbrian:

1. Include Twitter hashtags in the show information if applicable. Coordinate it so as to use the same Twitter hashtag the Japanese community is using.

Maybe. I'd need to look into it. I think we could add a field in the CMS for this to be included and generated as part of the default tweet, but I'm not sure if it will be technically possible.

@Netbrian:

Other

1. Investigate the feasibility of a subscription option that streams the disc versions instead of the broadcast versions. Obviously it"d be more expensive, but it would be another way to watch anime with the highest quality without taking up more space.

We have always done this. Broadcast versions of episodes are always replaced with the disc version as we receive those materials. Did you mean something else?

• @gamergoku:

I agree on improving the queue! Comparing it to Netflix and Crunchyroll, FUNimation is a mess. (In my opinion.)

How? Our Queue is very close to Crunchyroll's and was based almost entirely on previous user feedback. I'd love to improve it, so I'd really appreciate any specific feedback.

• Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post

1. For select shows, include the ability to see real time comments by other users, in the same manner as Nico Nico.

Currently not happening unless we have a looooooooooot of user requests for this. You might be the first person to request this feature despite it being on Nico Nico and Daisuki since those services launched.

I find it annoying. Put me down as a "no." :skull:

• ^ Odds are people are just going to cover the screen with ascii penises anyway. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

^ Odds are people are just going to cover the screen with ascii penises anyway.

Come on, this is the internet. You think people are just going to post immature things everywhere?

• dubbed anime is the best

• And there certainly were no defaced company logos in any of those on-screen comments on Nico-Nico's player. Nope. None at all.

• You guys should make an app for wii or wii u

• @tigerbutt:

You guys should make an app for wii or wii u

My response to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OemNp6hgX4

• I know this is an old thread and I'm sorry but it seems to be the only thing that shows up on Google for this issue.

#1 on this list needs to happen. I finally caved and decided to give Funimation a try with the $4.99/month sub and 14-Day free trial because I wanted to stream Future Diary in HD… but that watermark. Why the heck do you need that?? I'm on your website, I know where I am. It's not like that watermark prevents piracy, as OP said. It's silly and obstructive.

Needless to say I won't be subbing up. No other competitor does this. It's bad enough I have to pay Funimation separately to watch certain animes when I'm already subbed to Netflix and Crunchy Roll. It was just barely worth it to me for the $5 but with that watermark?? It's worthless. No thanks.

• @Exare:

I'm on your website, I know where I am. It's not like that watermark prevents piracy, as OP said. It's silly and obstructive.

Its not to prevent piracy; rather to track it.

Furthermore, it deters the FUnimation stream from being used on Japanese website. If someone uses the FUNistream to distribute to a Japanese audience, they will be aware of such. Also, in the case of legal prodecings vs piracy sites… having the FUNimation or otherwise tag allows a legal standing to be made against the pirate company in question (as they can prove they stole their stream; and not some other source thereof).

Technical reasons... As long as they don't' replace it with that stupid new smiley face logo... I hardly even notice the watermark. Does help if you have a really nice HD screen though I suppose...

@Netbrian:

1. Amazon and Youtube Red have the ability to download shows for offline viewing. This is a wonderful feature for mobile devices in particular please look into making it available here too.

Another technical problem… these services in question are American programming. Funimation/CR is anime. They take piracy more seriously (as is a bigger problem).

The problem with offline downloading is your are basically giving free content to a pirate. What they do is copy the RAM or HDD files that the player stores, and then use software emulation to play it back. IN other words, they can download it once, give it to someone else "emulating" the original computer, and /easymode piracy exists. Because Japanese companies are "sensitive" to everything (call it xenophobic if you wish) they put more restrictions on content then otherwise.

Does this "stop piracy"? Hardly, but it slows it down somewhat, and makes it harder. One can argue the merits as to whether piracy is even "a thing" or not; that is another debate, nevertheless...

@TIL:

I find it annoying. Put me down as a "no."

Also /agree. If you want to have comments below the webpage for each video, that is fine nevertheless…

@Sophie:

We have always done this. Broadcast versions of episodes are always replaced with the disc version as we receive those materials. Did you mean something else?

I believe the problem is one of confusion. Unless you are a forum regular, you probably don't' know which is what. The videos are not labeled as to "broadcast" or "DVD" release.

Perhaps, the solution is to label the videos (in subtext) which version of the video it is, so people viewing have an idea. The current method Funimation uses leaves it up to the imagination otherwise…

In other words,

https://youtu.be/-b5aW08ivHU

• FWIW, the watermark only appears on the site player. It doesn't appear on console apps.

• @Sophie:

FWIW, the watermark only appears on the site player. It doesn't appear on console apps.

True, but the ability to hijack an Adobe Flash stream on the website is like 1000x easier then a console, in either case…

• @thegrandalliance:

True, but the ability to hijack an Adobe Flash stream on the website is like 1000x easier then a console, in either case…

Then it's a good thing the new site's player is HTML5 only.

• I know this is probably not the best place to suggest this. But I think you guys should look into dubbing the anime Uta no prince sama or utapri(for short) because there are alot of fans here in America who love that anime. I use to be on a handful of facebook pages that were dedicated to that anime and many many people were real big fans. Seriously-
    I am also a fan of that anime.
    It's just. Suggestion but I'm telling u there are alot of fans who would love to see it dubbed. Thank u for reading this.