Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go) Blu Ray Release Dissusion

• Speed Racer is one of my favorite anime (yes it's an anime lol) and I've been hyped ever sense Funimation announced they're releasing Speed Racer along with Mach Go Go Go with English subtitles on blu ray. Ive been clamoring for new information regarding this release. I'm hoping there are other Speed Racer fans who might want to discuss it :D

• Since we can ask questions here, I'd like to know:
    – Will this be a new dub or an existing dub? If it is the existing dub, will there be a new dub for the episodes that were not originally dubbed?
    -- There were apparently different versions of the opening/ending for the dub for different releases; will both be included?
    -- Will the same set include the dubbed and subtitled versions or will there be two separate sets like Discotek's Samurai Pizza Cats/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee?
    -- Will the subtitled version include the original names, and will it subtitle the signs when needed? (I don't remember a lot of signs in Speed Racer, but I would imagine those were cut.)
    -- Will the dub be as aired or will it restore original footage when possible (even if you can't get new dialogue, you could always restore censored scenes that are not dialogued.) Even if the dub is as aired, will you be using earlier masters that don't have as many syndication cuts as modern ones?
    -- Will the dub and sub be the same video with two audio tracks or is everything cut enough that you need to include separate copies of the episodes for the dub and sub?
    -- If they are the same video with two audio tracks, will it be possible to select subtitles and dub at the same time, for fans who want to see what was changed?
    -- Does the series actually have film elements that would benefit from being HD or is this just an upscale? If so, would there be a cheaper DVD version for those of us who don't like paying extra for upscales? Or would the series just be standard definition on a BD?
    -- Will you be including the 1993 Streamline compilation movie?

• @arromdee:

Since we can ask questions here, I'd like to know:
    – Will this be a new dub or an existing dub? If it is the existing dub, will there be a new dub for the episodes that were not originally dubbed?
    -- There were apparently different versions of the opening/ending for the dub for different releases; will both be included?
    -- Will the same set include the dubbed and subtitled versions or will there be two separate sets like Discotek's Samurai Pizza Cats/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee?
    -- Will the subtitled version include the original names, and will it subtitle the signs when needed? (I don't remember a lot of signs in Speed Racer, but I would imagine those were cut.)
    -- Will the dub be as aired or will it restore original footage when possible (even if you can't get new dialogue, you could always restore censored scenes that are not dialogued.) Even if the dub is as aired, will you be using earlier masters that don't have as many syndication cuts as modern ones?
    -- Will the dub and sub be the same video with two audio tracks or is everything cut enough that you need to include separate copies of the episodes for the dub and sub?
    -- If they are the same video with two audio tracks, will it be possible to select subtitles and dub at the same time, for fans who want to see what was changed?
    -- Does the series actually have film elements that would benefit from being HD or is this just an upscale? If so, would there be a cheaper DVD version for those of us who don't like paying extra for upscales? Or would the series just be standard definition on a BD?
    -- Will you be including the 1993 Streamline compilation movie?

Yes I was also wondering If their would be a redub or if they would use the original Peter Fernandez dub. Personally I'd rather they just use the original dub if possible but this also could lead to other problems they might run in to. As for the opening and ending I'm guessing they will use the catchy "Here He Comes Here Comes Speed Racer" version for the dubbed track (of course with the edited opening) and for the subtitled track the full original Mach Go Go Go opening will be used. If this could be confirmed that would be awesome. Now will the Dub and Subbed versions be separate? I would say no because the short synopsis they released calls it "The Definitive Collection". Seeing as I have seen Mach Go Go Go through episode 8 I can say that there are a few short cuts made to the Peter Fernandez dubbed version off the top of my head in episode 7 Race Against The Mammoth Car (Part 1) Sparky is dragged into a shack and hit over the head with a wrench. There is a shot missing in Speed Racer (dub) that is present Mach Go Go Go (sub). This is one the afromentioned problems they might run into if they use the Peter Fernandez dub. As I don't think they dubbed it exactly to Mach Go Go Go as several edits and cuts were made that might hinder the use of dual audio for this collection. This makes me believe that two separate copies of the episodes would need to be used because If you played Speed Racer side be side Mach Go Go Go i believe Speed Racer would eventually overtake Mach Go Go Go and become out of snyc. Of course editing could fix this issue but who knows XD If someone from from Funimation could clear this up that would be awesome these are just some of my observations I could be entirely wrong. As for HD vs. SD I've only found 1 video online that shows the Blu Ray quality for Mach Go Go Go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f3UoD0JXyA

• There is no new information at this time. Stay tuned to FUNimation's blog for any new info regarding its release.

• @SpacemanHardy:

There is no new information at this time. Stay tuned to FUNimation's blog for any new info regarding its release.

I figured as much. Thanks i'll make sure to stay tuned for any new announcements. If anyone else has any more concerns or questions it would be cool to hear them though :)

• If they are going to have the unaired episodes included as well, I think a new, accurate dub should be done for the show, if they are planning to dub it. I don't want Speed Racer, I want Mach Go Go Go.

Sentai's rerelease of S1 of Gatchaman, should be what Funimation should be shooting for, Quality wise.

• This post is deleted!

• @Series5Ranger:

If they are going to have the unaired episodes included as well, I think a new, accurate dub should be done for the show, if they are planning to dub it. I don't want Speed Racer, I want Mach Go Go Go.

Sentai's rerelease of S1 of Gatchaman, should be what Funimation should be shooting for, Quality wise.

Personally I like the Peter Fernandez dub or "Speed Racer" better than the dub ADV did for Gatchaman (S1). However I could easily understand if someone doesn't like Speed Racer's dub. Also when Funimation revealed the blu ray collection at Otakon 2015 they played the Speed Racer Theme (here he comes here comes Speed Racer) and not the Mach Go Go Go theme. Not to mention the listing says "Speed Racer Coming Soon for the first time on Blu-ray! The definitive collection includes episodes never released in North America, as well as Mach GoGoGo! This release will be available in Japanese (w/ English subtitles) for the first time — stay tuned for more details!" (http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/…t-otakon-2015/) This leads me to believe the collection will include Speed Racer (the Peter Fernandez dub or redubbed) as well as Mach Go Go Go with english subtitles. Also a note there are 52 episodes of Mach Go Go Go and 52 episodes of Speed Racer (I have the DVD's and there are indeed 52 episodes). It is possible that a few of those 52 episodes never made it onto television but were still dubbed. Not entirely sure about all this I guess we just have to wait until Funimation releases more information on the collection.

• The Digital Bits has posted info on the Speed Racer release.

A number of readers have asked about the Blu-ray release status of FUNimation"s forthcoming Speed Racer/Mach GoGoGo, which was revealed late last year. We"ve made a few inquiries and have learned that it"s likely to arrive on disc late this year or early next, as part of the classic anime series" 50th anniversary in 2017 (it first appeared on television in both Japan and the States in 1967).

• Wow thank you very much for the update! I have high hopes for the collection. Cheers.

• Damn FUNimation pick this show up? I though someone else had the right to it did that not make movie of it like 7 years ago?

"Coming Soon for the first time on Blu-ray! The definitive collection includes episodes never released in North America, as well as Mach GoGoGo! This release will be available in Japanese (w/ English subtitles) for the first time — stay tuned for more details! - See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/07/25/speed-racer-psycho-pass-the-movie-ghost-in-the-shell-the-movie-assassination-classroom-2-and-more-announced-at-otakon-2015/#sthash.MJfN9Xqb.dpuf "

Source: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/07/25/speed-racer-psycho-pass-the-movie-ghost-in-the-shell-the-movie-assassination-classroom-2-and-more-announced-at-otakon-2015/

Basic on what that said and basic on the way it worded and since there still calling by it American name and saying "The definitive collection includes episodes never released in North America," and then talk about the Japan Name "Mach GoGoGo!"… It seen that they maybe be doing 2 different released for Blu-Ray's one as Speed Racer with the English Dub ONLY and another as Mach GoGoGo! in Japanese Dub (w/ English subtitles)... If this is true then Funimation is being nice to both fans one that like the old dub and grew up with it or watch it and the other's that made wanted to see it as what it is in the Japanese Dub with (w/ English subtitles)... IF this is true then this PROVE that Viz Media COULD have done the same thing with Sailor Moon old English Dub... Like I trying to keep tell people...

• Redubbed or old dub? My response; why not both? :)

Look at it this way; a newer dub may be more faithful, but the old dub is still remembered, fondly or not, and some may complain about a redub. Some look at the old dub with nostalgia, and I get this feeling it's be wrong to leave them behind.

Some others would prefer a redub, however, and this be objectively better, not only because it's have a reasonable production schedule, better voice acting, and sticking closer to the Japanese original.

So, why not do both if a redub is possible? People who want a redub get it, and those who prefer the dub they grew up with aren't left out either. Not to mention hardcore fans and those curious about the differences would buy both anyways. And newer fans who want to decide for themselves as well.

Basically, everyone wins. :)

• Interesting theory. When I hear the definitive collection I think of somthing packaged all together, but that's just me. As for their being a new dub that would explain the long wait for information on the set. Then again their could be a million reasons as to why this project is taking a while. They could be transferring and remastering the original dub from tape, which can be a lengthy process. While on the other hand it's possible that they couldn't get their hands on the nessasary tools to use the original dub and were forced to completely redub the series. In my opinion it would be a huge mistake to not include the original dub though because that is what people remember the show for here in the US. Most people who watched it didn't even know it's an anime. I do understand why a redub might be in order though, only thing is it would have to be very close to the original Speed Racer dub I feel as if they do a modern dub their could be issues. I own the Gatchaman blu-Ray set by Sentai Filmworks and while ADV did a very good job with that dub there's quite a few moments where things just didn't feel right and that can really hurt a show. I really adore the Peter Fernandez dub and I hope they at least include it if they decide to redub the series.

• @AceTechHD:

Interesting theory. When I hear the definitive collection I think of somthing packaged all together, but that's just me. As for their being a new dub that would explain the long wait for information on the set. Then again their could be a million reasons as to why this project is taking a while. They could be transferring and remastering the original dub from tape, which can be a lengthy process. While on the other hand it's possible that they couldn't get their hands on the nessasary tools to use the original dub and were forced to completely redub the series. In my opinion it would be a huge mistake to not include the original dub though because that is what people remember the show for here in the US. Most people who watched it didn't even know it's an anime. I do understand why a redub might be in order though, only thing is it would have to be very close to the original Speed Racer dub I feel as if they do a modern dub their could be issues. I own the Gatchaman blu-Ray set by Sentai Filmworks and while ADV did a very good job with that dub there's quite a few moments where things just didn't feel right and that can really hurt a show. I really adore the Peter Fernandez dub and I hope they at least include it if they decide to redub the series.

If Sentai Filmworks had it how did Funimation get it? :hmm:

• @gohan6425:

If Sentai Filmworks had it how did Funimation get it? :hmm:

he didn't say sentai has speed racer. he's talking about Gatchamon

• @Getchman:

he didn't say sentai has speed racer. he's talking about Gatchamon

" I own the Gatchaman blu-Ray set by Sentai Filmworks and while ADV" :hmm: Sound like he said it to me…

• ^ Well, he didn't.

• @TIL:

^ Well, he didn't.

Really?

@AceTechHD:

I own the Gatchaman blu-Ray set by Sentai Filmworks and while ADV did a very good job with that dub

Well there tell me he did said that… -_-

• @gohan6425:

If Sentai Filmworks had it how did Funimation get it?

@Getchman:

he didn't say sentai has speed racer

And he didn't.

And ADV/Sentai still has Gatchaman, FUNi never had it.

• @TIL:

And he didn't.

And ADV/Sentai still has Gatchaman, FUNi never had it.

OMG what are you talking about?

• @gohan6425:

OMG what are you talking about?

You're right. I give up trying to understand your crappy writing. If you don't even know what you're talking about, how am I supposed to know?