Marvel Studios & Marvel Movies

• This where everyone came come to talk about any given Marvel Studios production; from X-Men to the Avengers; here’s the spot. Before I get going, I came across this website: http://marvel.com/movies which is a good place to find out what’s up with Marvel along with some other nifty material.

So, firstly, we all know Disney has purchased Marvel Studios quite some time ago prior to acquiring Lucasfilm. So far, I really can’t find a reason to complain about the arrangement; we all got the Avengers Chronicle movies which includes the crossover aspects; something that I have not seen in live action comic book movies.

I understand that the Spiderman franchise is under the jurisdiction of Sony, nevertheless; it’s still a Marvel Studios movie. Taken from Wikipedia: “Upon the release of Amazing Spiderman, Disney and Sony negotiated a two-way agreement. Disney would receive full merchandising ancillary rights to future Spiderman Films in exchange for Sony purchasing out Marvel's film participation rights.” So, yes it no to it being a Marvel Studios movie; I just think of it this way; came from a Marvel comic; a Marvel Movie, and it has the Studio logo at the start of the film, so, that’s how I see it.

I guess I can go ahead and list some of my favorite Marvel movies; X-Men, X-Men 2, Ironman, Avengers, Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Amazing Spiderman, and Captain America. Honorable mention, or follow up favorites are X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, Iron man 2, Ironman 3, Thor, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk.

The movies I wasn’t all that impressed with to downright disappointed in were; both Fantastic Four movies, X-Men 3, Spiderman 3, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, The Punisher and Hulk. These movies for me ranged from okay/passable to just poor in my opinion. Granted, there were a few good elements to them; Hulk had a great soundtrack, Spiderman 3 did have some crazy action scenes and Daredevil, Ghost Rider and The Punisher did have some great premises and some good comedy; these three really weren’t all that bad when I think about it, just saying they could’ve been better.

Moving along there are some big titles coming out next year for Marvel; Captain America Winter Soldier, Amazing Spiderman 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. For 2015, it looks like we’re in for The Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man.

That’s all I really have for right now, I have already spoke about the Amazing Spiderman in the Thor thread, I mentioned that Jamie Fox is set to play Electro and Paul Giamatti is up to play the Rhino.

• I'm not the biggest comic book fan, but I do love a lot of the characters from Marvel (more so than I do for DC I'll admit), so I almost always enjoy these movies if they're done well. Spider-man, Iron Man, and Wolverine are probably my favorite characters that Marvel has to offer, though I'm pretty curious about Deadpool based on all the things I've seen about him.

As far as upcoming films go, I'm excited for Winter Soldier and Spider-man 2, but I'm not really sure how to feel about Guardians yet. I'm looking forward to the next Avengers of course too, but Ant-man…ehh...I'll see how it goes.

• = 3=

Am I the only guy who reads comic books around here? What? The void that was otaku had to be filled somehow. Comic book adaptions are a ball park, swing and a miss. Got a good hit? The outfield catches it. I'm usually a sucker for all superhero films that came after the original Spider-Man no matter how bad it is. Although tough to swallow, I can agree with criticisms. If there's one I'm highly anticipating, it's Big Hero 6. I've never read the source material (and probably should if it's good enough) but it looks interesting (literally).

• Came across some cool here and my does it ever look great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Kq4s0GPfE

• Yeah, I saw that on… I think it was Good Morning America yesterday. Pretty sweet trailer, can't wait to see this come next May!

• well they aren't Marvel movies per say, but Bryan Singer has announced that a sequel is already in the works and planned to follow next years "X-Men Days of Future Past" movie. The title for the new movie is "X-Men Apocalypse" and is scheduled to be released in 2016.

• @tobruk:

well they aren't Marvel movies per say, but Bryan Singer has announced that a sequel is already in the works and planned to follow next years "X-Men Days of Future Past" movie. The title for the new movie is "X-Men Apocalypse" and is scheduled to be released in 2016.

Well, the thread is Marvel Studios and Marvel movies/productions so these count; the Spiderman moves are more of a Sony controlled property, but Disney/Marvel have their stake in it.

The same goes for the X-Men movies although, I believe it's 20th Century Fox who is more involved with it; but it still counts.

• Sony Pictures announces Spin-offs from the Amazing Spider-Man movies today.

Sony has revealed its big plans to expand the Spider-Man franchise into a larger movie universe, officially announcing spinoff movies for Venom and The Sinister Six.

Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard will collaborate on overseeing the “developing story over several films” says Sony, saying they “have formed a franchise brain trust to expand the universe for the brand and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films,” in conjunction with producers Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach and director Marc Webb (The Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 2).

Kurtzman & Orci & Solomon will write Venom, with Kurtzman directing, while Goddard will write and possibly direct Sinister Six.

Goddard is also the showrunner for the Daredevil Netflix series in the works.

• I heard the Marvel vs Capcom series is pretty much done for because Capcom can't afford the licenses to the characters and stuff. Anyone else heard this?

• Paul Rudd ( This is 40, Anchor Man 1 & 2) has been cast as Ant-Man for the upcoming Ant-Man movie.

Excellent choice I think. Have loved his movies and think he is a very underrated actor.

• Guardians of The Galaxy Trailer is up. Looks like this one is going for more of a comedic vibe, dunno about that, I mean action/comedy works in Iron Man, but meh, dunno, still going to see, but not expecting as much outta this as Cap 2 or ASM2.

http://youtu.be/pTZ2Tp9yXyM

• That actually looks awesome. Also, I gotta wonder if the inclusion of Nebula means an eventual Avengers crossover. She features sorta prominently in the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, and Thanos is already revealed to be an Avengers villain. I'm not sure my inner fanboy can handle Iron Man talking to Rocket Raccoon on the Big Screen.

• I was looking forward to checking out that Guardians of the Galaxy when I first heard of it, and I’m confident there will be some abridging over to the Avengers series. I think I will be staying after to see the post credits scene.

For other Marvel trailers, well in this case Marvel and Sony, and new Amazing Spiderman 2 trailer is up. Now, Guardians of the Galaxy looks like it will be great, but I’ve always been more partial to Spiderman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmaI1nInDOs

• For anyone wondering who the &%$# the Guardians of the Galaxy are, which I assume is probably everyone:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8818-Who-Are-The-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy

• Some of us know; I grew up with a comic crazed older brother.

Anyways, some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_(1969_team)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_(2008_team)

Lastly, I knew Brad Cooper was in this movie, I didn't know Vin Diesel was in it.

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier starts tommorow!

• It's gotten pretty good reviews so far, I'm prolly gonna go see it tomorrow afternoon.

• Just got back from the new Captain America movie, and it was awesome. Easily the best Marvel sequel to date, and arguably the best non-Avengers entry into the whole project. While the first Capt America drew heavily from the cheesy post-world war era Americana that Cap embodies, Winter Soldier(or as I like to call it: The Manchurian Red Herring) plays like a Cold War era conspiracy spy thriller. Even going so far as to cast Robert Redford as a major supporting role in what almost seems like Hollywood inside joke. The post-911 political undertones serve both as a great platform for Captain America as a character, but also as a darkly intelligent twist on the new Marvel cinematic universe. That's the film's one brilliant gimmick: what if Captain America was in a Jason Bourne movie? While it doesn't quite reach the broodingly oppressive levels of some of its contemporaries, Winter Soldier is a somewhat stark departure from its cousins. It's gritty, politically-charged, and full of twists and turns that flip everything we thought we knew about the Marvel cinematic universe on its head. The action choreography and editing are great, making what is essentially just bog-standard action-movie shoot-em-ups and car-chases blend into the lasers-and-magic-hammers scope of the previous movies without losing the weight or impact. The best new thing in the whole movie has to be Anthony Mackie as The Falcon, though. With absolutely mesmerizing on-screen charisma and easily the coolest gadget in the Marvel movieverse since the Iron Man suit. I hope to Madoka he gets to be in the next Avengers outing.

The smartest thing about Winter Soldier though, is it's cohesion into the overall narrative of the Marvel cinematic universe. Unlike the Thor and Iron Man sequels, Winter Soldier feels like a necessary chapter in the ongoing Avengers saga. Building on the growing universe with both an exploration of it shady history, and far-reaching in-story consequences. Add in some fanservice cameos and name-dropping(One Dr. Stephen Strange is mentioned. Get hype!), and you've got yourself a well-constructed blockbuster to set the new gold standard for the Avengers tie-in movies.

My one gripe with the movie is of how little consequence the actual Winter Soldier is in the grand scheme of the story. His nature as the destructive and ruthless anti-Captain America leaves him a little out of place in what is ostensibly an espionage mystery story. The ultimate reveal of his identity doesn't have the impact it should, and feels like a forced internal conflict to emphasize Captain America as the moral center of the film.

• Next up for hype is… Guardians Of The Galaxy.

• @Zethus:

Next up for hype is… Guardians Of The Galaxy.

I was a little disappointed the post-movie teaser in Winter Soldier was an Age of Ultron(Scarlet Witch, yesss) bit and not a Guardians of the Galaxy tie-in. Though I'm not sure how they could have resonantly fit that into Captain America.

• Well Thor 2 had the Guardians tie-in, so yeah…

Any who. Gotta say, pretty solid flick, The Bourne Identity of Marvel movies if you will, and I swear I mean that in A good way. Did enjoy & would deff sit through again.

Only real problem I have is Setting up for Scarlet Witch & QuickSilver when they can't use Magneto... Although I'm still hoping Marvel studios can barter with FOX to at least let him have a brief cameo, maybe flashback style!? Sucks when you can't use your own companies characters because of studio red tape.